Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Far Cry 5 - set in the exotic open world of MONTANA

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
IMO FC2 was the best - save for the respawning outposts\checkpoints.

Since then they have just been dumb fun, and I guess they can be somewhat enjoyable if you treat them as such. My biggest thing is the HUD -

I REALLY need a dev to explain to me with a straight face why we must see enemies through walls, on the mini map, and have an indicator showing you when an enemy is about to spot you. I know their reasoning behind it, I just want to see if they can come up with a good reason other than "most casuals are trash at games and play FPs with a controller" -

If its possible to turn ALL of that crap off, then maybe you have something fun to fuck around in.

because their average target audience lack intellectual capacity to actually play video games

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Is it me, or is there no hype train for the game even amongst the normies?

The whole initial "we gonna shoot 'em Trump fans" in gaming media and leftist fandom also fizzled out and many of the professional previews I saw were between "meh" and "that's not what we want" (e.g. coop).

McPlusle

Savant
Is it me, or is there no hype train for the game even amongst the normies?

The whole initial "we gonna shoot 'em Trump fans" in gaming media and leftist fandom also fizzled out and many of the professional previews I saw were between "meh" and "that's not what we want" (e.g. coop).
It keeps getting delayed and it seems like AAA open-world fatigue is finally setting in with mainstream audiences. It's only seven years late.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
The gaming press moved on to New Colossus being the soy savior and forgot about this game.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
If the normie gaming press is ignoring the game, it increases my hope that it will actually be fun!

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Map editor trailer. The editor will includes assets from Far Cry 4, Far Cry Primal, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, Assassin's Creed Unity, and Watch Dogs.:

"Infinite" and "creative" with "a shared progression system" with the campaign: https://news.ubisoft.com/article/far-cry-arcade-dramatically-expands-far-cry-5s-map-editor

FAR CRY ARCADE DRAMATICALLY EXPANDS FAR CRY 5'S MAP EDITOR

Far Cry Arcade is Far Cry 5's map editor mode, and it's bigger, more versatile, and more packed with content than it's been at any point in the series' past. The first Far Cry map editor to enable players to create their own solo, co-op, and PvP levels, Far Cry Arcade is a chance for players to crack open the game and use its assets to build their own customized adventures and experiences. Far Cry Arcade's goal is to make these custom maps as accessible as the campaign, and one way to accomplish that is to integrate them directly into Hope County – and your character's progression.

"We've really pushed hard this time to make it a much more integral part of the Far Cry experience, and to really give it its own identity," says Clark Davies, lead game designer on Far Cry Arcade. "We're going to make sure it's more visible than ever. Not just in our menus, but in the campaign itself. We're going to put arcade booths all around our campaign world in places where it makes sense. And then on top of that, there will be posters all over the game world, which will be simple portals to quick-launch you into our best featured maps."

Walk up to an arcade machine in a bar, for example, and you can jump straight into Far Cry Arcade, check out the latest user-created levels (which will be curated by the developers), and start playing. You'll visit these worlds as the same custom deputy you play in the campaign, and any experience points, perks, or money you earn while playing will cross over into the campaign when you're done. (And no, that doesn't mean you can just create a "level" filled with cash and make yourself rich.)

assassinsfreeze_1080p_gold_esrb_320018.jpg

"The critical thing for us is to make sure that the time players spend in Far Cry Arcade is equally as valued to them as the time that would be spent in the campaign," says Davies. "So we have a shared progression system to do that. All the rewards that you would normally earn in the campaign – money, items, weapons, vehicles, and so on – all of these are equally available to you in Far Cry Arcade, and vice versa. It's one profile; you take it back and forth between the game modes exactly as you'd like, whenever you like. Your time is equally valued wherever you spend it."

Another part of what sets Far Cry Arcade apart is the sheer volume of available items and options for players to experiment with while building levels, says Davies. "It's a huge range of stuff, much more than we ever had in Far Cry 4. In total, it's about 7,000 objects," he says. Your creations won't be limited to the buildings, vehicles, and weaponry you'd find in Hope County, either; Far Cry Arcade will include assets from Far Cry 4 (including yetis) and Far Cry Primal, as well as Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, Assassin's Creed Unity, and Watch Dogs. And as post-launch content for Far Cry 5 is released, those assets will be added to Far Cry Arcade as well, letting you get creative with Vietnamese jungles, Martian arachnids, and zombies.

pigparty_1080p_gold_320019.jpg

Far Cry Arcade introduces new ways to play as well, with new modes like Bounty Hunt, which challenges you to track down and neutralize a specific target; and Journey, in which you'll need to find your way to the exit. So far, we've played two levels built with the new modes; in Upside Down, a Journey level, we navigated a strange dreamscape where wall clocks pointed the way through upturned houses, grotesque cult displays, and tunnels of clocks and furniture suspended in midair.

Upside Down is completely nonviolent, so long as you don't harpoon its harmless resident goats with your unlimited supply of throwable shovels. That wasn't the case in Terminal Station, a Bounty Hunt level set in a shipping yard. Offering us a choice of two loadouts at the beginning – "Triple-0 Seven," with a silenced pistol, MP5, and Molotov cocktails, or "Screwed," with a single throwing knife – it then challenged us to sneak through the yard, using crates and shipping containers as cover while we silently took down guards and made our way to the target, who was creeping around on a nearby rooftop. We could have gotten past the guards nonlethally if we'd chosen; the only one that needs to be taken down in a Bounty Hunt level is the target, after which you'll need to beat a quick path to the exit for a successful exfiltration.

upside_down_gold_1080p_320021.jpg

Far Cry Arcade is also at the heart of Far Cry 5's PvP multiplayer, which we sampled in Beach Brawl, an 12-player team deathmatch map set on a surreal beach filled with shacks and ruins to hide in, and dominated by huge rusting cannons and gigantic Buddhist statues straight out of Kyrat. Like other maps, this one offered a creator-set selection of loadouts geared for stealth, sniping, or assault, and the ATVs and technical trucks at either end were a chance to pile in and rush the enemy team slightly more effectively than if we'd been on foot. Climbing up to sniper perches or hiding underwater to surprise enemies was immensely fun, and deadly wolves, bears, and wolverines kept us on our toes by occasionally charging onto the battlefield and attacking the nearest player.

After Far Cry 5's launch, Far Cry Arcade will be continually supported by the developers, who will pick new maps to be featured each week, as well as oversee mapjams, contests, tutorial livestreams, and other activities for map builders. You'll also be able to preview new maps on the web, add them to a list, and see them waiting for you the next time you boot up Far Cry Arcade. Far Cry 5 is already a huge game, and with a push from Far Cry Arcade, it's poised to get a lot bigger.

progression_screenshot_320020.jpg

Far Cry 5 launches March 27 on PS4, Xbox One, and PC. For more on the game, check out our previous Far Cry 5 coverage.

Ash

Arcane
Peasants getting hyped and losing their shit over their limited map editors. Only in the game industry can you hype up ignorant shitlords over inferior forms of content that we got decades ago. Be like Nokia coming out with a flip phone tomorrow and everyone losing their minds :roll:

So much fucking ignorance of gaming history...

and yes, I am aware these editors are proper streamlined making content creation nice and easy, but even then it's still nothing new and more restrictive than other built-in editors in history (based on what they're saying and highlighting). About the only notable thing here is it using tons of art assets from their most recent games. And holy fuck surely that's gonna bloat file size big time.

Last edited:

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
If Nokia released a "nostalgia" flip phone, is it better to just buy that or to scavenge for an actual old model?

Egosphere

Arcane
It's going to be more of FC4 - a big map without much substance, shallow characters, banal story ( which will probably preach about the rise of "fascism" and "right-wing extremism" and what not ). Just your obligatory biennial "triple A" ubisoft flip.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So, any of you playing this?

I am just watching some literally-mouth-breathing twerp showing the first hour or so, wetting his pants every minute. Two reasons moving this to the US was a good idea - it's finally not dumb to hear everyone speak English, and it's finally convincing to have enormous amounts of ammo lying about everywhere.

Looks like a fairly typical post-FC2 Fart Cry game for now...

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
It's not out until Tuesday, so if you see anyone playing it already it must be a Professional Gaming Journalist with a review copy.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Professional retard more like. Search in youtube if you want, I don't want to give him more views.

Vexxt

Educated
Bought a bunch of Samsung 1TB drives at work - got free copies of FC5 with them.

I'll load this up and give it a try next week - hoping I can turn off all the wall-hack HUD bs and see how it is.

I'll report my findings...

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Bought a bunch of Samsung 1TB drives at work - got free copies of FC5 with them.

I'll load this up and give it a try next week - hoping I can turn off all the wall-hack HUD bs and see how it is.

I'll report my findings...
You will find a sea of shit behind this wall mate. Be warned!

kalganoat

Savant
Ive watched a couple of videos and AI fucking sucks. They are all a bunch of blind retards.

Brinko

Arcane
Ending of Far Cry 5

I know someone thought this war clever but this is so out of left field to where it becomes absurd. Might as well as have the Blood Dragon foot soldiers start gunning down townspeople with their GI Joe lasers.

Egosphere

Arcane
Ending of Far Cry 5

I know someone thought this war clever but this is so out of left field to where it becomes absurd. Might as well as have the Blood Dragon foot soldiers start gunning down townspeople with their GI Joe lasers.

That was embarrassing to watch, but it ends with nuclear war? Cool. That's fired me up to replay fallout again. Thanks ubi.

:dealwithit:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Dat horrid gameplay lmao.

What i want to know is how the game looks like such shit. The assets seem to be good. The animations are well done. And yet it all looks like washed out garbage submerged in piss. It's like they tried to make the game as bad as they could on purpose.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom