Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Ion Fury (formerly Ion Maiden) - Build Engine powered FPS by Duke Nukem 3D mappers - now with Aftershock DLC

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
and to call something that didn't evolve essentially in the slightest compared to the 20 year old games

Shooters have only gotten worse and worse in those 20 years of "evolution". Frankly, you can take that shit up your ass.
Get fucked. I understand liking 'pure' gameplay but to say that the entire genre of tactical FPS is bad is the most brainlet thing I have read all day.

Nobody said anything about "tactical" FPS (whatever the fuck that means. What, Arma? ). Nice strawman there bro.

Shooters have only gotten worse and worse in those 20 years of "evolution".
Tactical FPS (Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon, SWAT) were an evolution of shooters, and it came to fruition around the very late 90s and early to mid 2000s, so you're saying that entire subgenre is bad.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Tactical FPS (Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon, SWAT) were an evolution of shooters, and it came to fruition around the very late 90s and early to mid 2000s, so you're saying that entire subgenre is bad.
Given the current state of tactical FPS and the trend of their quality of the years, the original statement still holds true, it's just not a negative linear trend.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9301I met Tapatalk

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
No, they weren't an evolution of anything. They were just a new genre, one nobody here ever mentioned.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I've never really figured Doom 2's major problem to be the bestiary, it's mostly a problem relating to poor use of them. For me what I've pretty much always disliked about Doom 2 is its poor level design and playing areas. It's especially bad in this regard to me when compared to Doom 1's first episode (or all of D1 really, Ep1 just happens to be the best of the best), the first half or so of TNT Evilution or around 65% of The Plutonia Experiment.

Plutonia and TNT are both much better than Doom 2, even though a large portion of their levels also suffer from the same problems as Doom 2; poor use of the new demons on offer, because D2 was made in a year and the new enemies add so many new mechanics and variables that need to be accounted for by the mapper (the super shotgun does well to help vs this, but it's not a "real" solution).

My least favorite addition to the cast in Doom 2 has always been the pain elemental. Not sure I know anyone who actually thinks they are fun and not just annoying. If they're placed in close quarters they're a time-wasting meat shield spewing out more time wasters. If they're placed far in a large room or on lower elevations below a bridge or something they become frustrating and hard to deal with before they spit out a ton of lost souls.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
No, they weren't an evolution of anything. They were just a new genre, one nobody here ever mentioned.
No, they were pretty clearly a subgenre but still fell into the category of 'shooter' which is a extremely broad term. What category would you put Max Payne in? That's another hugely influential shooter in the early 2000s. It's still a shooter, albeit a third person one and I wouldn't call that game any worse than Build engine games, I'd probably call it better.

JBro

Arbiter
"I never had a problem with chaingunners" - person who only played on easy

Ash

Arcane
Tactical shooters? An evolution? Those games that revolved their level design and game mechanics heavily around realism as opposed to the gamey awesomeness of doom and clones?

They're a valid style of shooter with merit, but like hell is realism-faggottry focus an evolution of the Doom formula or FPS game design in general. You could at least argue System Shock 2 and Deus Ex were the evolutions, it'd be a bit more understandable (though still somewhat misguided). Those often disguised unrealistic gameyness behind futuristic tech. Tactical shooters just remove the vast majority and call it a day, because muh realism. Still a valid style of design but no evolution. There was no evolution of the doom clone since Build games and certain other late 90s shooters, even including console stuff like Turok. After that, everything pretty much went pants on head retarded with the realism faggotry, and every shooter plays very much like one another (and rarely is what they play like actually good to begin with).

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
How the fuck wasn't an evolution of shooting games an evolution in shooting games? You're fucking retarded.

Ash

Arcane
Obviously "evolution" has positive connotations, dumbfuck. If anything they were a devolution of FPS game design, because the game design got heavily impacted by realism, which frequently conflicts with the balancing of game rules, optimising of entertainment, restricts creative new elements etc.

Don't get your panties in a twist, edgelord.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Yes, a subgenre that evolved from the basic running and gunning of Doom, Quake and 3D Realms games into a more realistic, slower paced and tactical game that were hugely popular and left their mark in games history weren't evolutions because I don't like them. Fuck off.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So good they reviewed the Early Access: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/03/05/ion-maiden-review/

Wot I Think: Ion Maiden

ion00.jpg

Ion Maiden Preview Campaign is, without question, brilliant. A mad-speed Build engine project that feels like it was made by present-day time travellers who went back to 1996 to make a game. It’s stupid and crass and loud and gory and everything else you could hope for. And this is just the two-mission mini campaign while they finish the full game.

Quite why any game would still want to associate itself with the wretchedly dreadful Bombshell, I’m not sure, but Ion Maiden is framed as a prequel to that Duke Nukem wannabe. This means it shares the same protagonist, one Shelley Harrison, and the setting of an invasion of sorts in Washington DC, although almost nothing else, thank goodness.

Instead this is gloriously evocative of that mid-90s post-Doom II era of FPS games, where movement was idiotically fast, enemies were idiots, and secrets were hiding behind every other wall. The Build engine has been updated in many ways, but remains very true to its original look and feel. It runs at modern resolutions, the HUD is crisp and clear, but the world itself is clunky and boxy in all the right ways. It can now better recognise pushing around the 2.5D objects, there are physics, and some objects are even rendered in what I’m going to christen “2.8D”, jumping between four or so different renditions of the sprite as you walk around them. And while Duke3D was the game that mastered verticality (after Dark Forces introduced it), there’s a very modern understanding of mouse-led FPS thinking.

ion01.jpg

It’s a game about screaming around at outrageous speeds, hammering the Use button on any object or wall that looks out of place just in case, and of course spreading enemy gibs about the walls and floor. It feels so fluid, so natural, and such a blessed respite from the bum-following misery-trudge that is so much of modern first-person shooting. It’s ludicrous in every way, enemies aiming with ridiculous skill, and you tasked to work out how to deal with that.

The biggest and best lesson it takes from Duke3D, beyond just the concept itself, is the destructible scenery. Duke blew our minds in 1996 by having levels that could change their layout via the destruction you wrought, and it’s damned revealing how fresh and original the same feels today in our current swamp of unchangeable fixed-state open worlds. It doesn’t do anything groundbreaking, apart from, er, literally I suppose, but it’s just so odd that scripted actions seeing the level collapse about you again feels so innovative. That and shooting fire hydrants sometimes blasts holes in the walls leading to secret areas. That’s always cool.

ion08.jpg

Secrets are another aspect of those Olden Days that have been splendidly embellished upon here. There are a ridiculous number of them, such that when I finished the first of the two chapters in this preview, it told me I had 19 left. Nineteen. And I’d been looking for them, and finding loads! (I only had four left in the second.) The secrets in question aren’t just there to provide extra armour, ammo and health, but also add a significant extra purpose in playing. Find a bit of scenery that looks like you can just about jump onto it, then see a beam you might be able to land on, then climb up some more, here, there, and into that hole, and here’s a stash! It makes the world much more interesting to pick at, rather than just being a corridor to run down. Seeing a locked off area becomes a mission, and even if all you get is an extra medpack, the sense of achievement when you find the entrance hidden in the toilet cubicle, then the secret switch on that dark wall, makes it all worthwhile.

It also adds an incentive to replay levels and try to find the ones you missed. I still have 16 to find in the first area, and good gravy, I’ve searched. I really want to keep plugging away at it.

ion02.jpg

It’s not completely free of the sorts of puerile asides that have always festered in 3D Realms’ games, and for some that will be a comfort, for others it’ll draw out another eyeroll. The issue has never been they’re a bit rude or whatever, but that they’re just not very funny, and this is no exception. Signs mocking MTV and McDonald’s feel like they too were transported from 1996, while posters advertising suicide assistance feel pointlessly crass without any attached gag. Although I’ll concede I’m immature enough to have enjoyed a giant “WASHINGTONS 4 SKINS” sporting banner. And saying all that, it’s hard to imagine how it would feel like a proper Build engine game if it didn’t have some crappy unfunny crass jokes in it.

Fortunately Harrison is by orders of magnitude a better player character than her crushingly embarrassing outing in Bombshell. While her barks aren’t brilliant, and repeat too often, I still enjoyed “Clean up on aisle your ass” the first time I heard it. “I spray, you pay,” she utters as machine gun bullets fly. Thank God, in the two large levels available at this point at least, there are no gut-churning, groin-grinding attempts at faux-feminism this time out. She’s just a bad-ass protagonist, without making a fuss about it, which is ideal.

ion04.jpg

More significant issues are present. The most annoying, that should be an easy fix, is Harrison’s bizarre inconsistency when looking for secrets. Sometimes she’ll say, “There’s nothing here,” more often say nothing at all, and most confusing, frequently make a noise like she’s hurt. What you want, of course, is one simple innocuous noise that means “nope”, so you can slide down a wall hammering E without listening to what sounds like a broken sound effects CD.

Then there’s all sorts of clipping issues (I never got stuck, but I looked through a lot of walls) where the levels need a few more rounds of tidying, and I’ve had it freeze up, which would have been fine if it hadn’t, for some reason, lost my quicksave data. But, you might say, this is early access! Well yes and no, because the sale page clearly states, “The Preview Campaign is a fully finalized and polished product, which you can all play right now.” Aaaaand, no, it’s not polished.

ion09.jpg

Which brings us to the final similarity, and indeed dissimilarity, between this and the games of the Apogee/3D Realms heyday: releasing a sizeable portion of the game, ending in a message encouraging you to buy the full game. The concept seems almost impossibly alien in these days when even a demo is a rare gem for a new game release, but in the early to mid ’90s, it was perfectly common for games to release up to one third of themselves as “shareware”. Completely free, intended to be copied, shared, and played. A huge chunk of Duke Nukem 3D was free! The first third of Doom was free! And Ion Maiden mimics this model right up to including the screen at the end thanking you for playing the preview, and encouraging you to buy the full game! It just forgets the free part.

I’d not have even thought about it if they’d not put the card in, of course, and I obviously don’t begrudge their selling this splendid section presumably to bring in some cash for finishing the full game. It just seems odd to be reminded that this isn’t shareware in such a glaring way!

ion07.jpg

Of course, for the £14 here you’re getting the full game when it’s eventually finished. And this, they say, isn’t even part of that full game, which will be its own self-contained campaign. That’s still six months away, with this out there as a taster for what’s to come. And if it can match it, then goodness me it’ll be a pleasure to have.

This isn’t about nostalgia – that’s really important to make clear. I mean, yes, I can’t untangle myself from that entirely, but I’d contend that so much has changed in the realms of FPS gaming in the twenty-something years since that those core ideas are now maverick and refreshing. That the game boasts in its own sales pitch that it contains “no procedural generation” is very telling. Obviously the Serious Sam games’ occasional appearances have kept this spirit alive, but in their own distinct broad territory. FPS hasn’t felt like Ion Maiden for a ridiculously long time, and it’s absolutely glorious to have it back. I cannot wait to see the full campaign later this year.

Ion Maiden is out now in early access on Windows and Linux, for £14/$18/18€, via Steam and 3D Realms.

Ash

Arcane
Decline enabler!

I do like heavily realism-based and tactical games btw, for what they are. But they're all the same (relatively). Same real world guns. Some slow ass movement speed. Same realistic damage models (headshot = instant death, else die in relatively few bullets). Same hitscan heavy combat. Same real world environments: overwhelmingly military combat zones. Same two-four weapon limits. Same level design principle of heavily revolving around realism. Same laser focus on one thing: mole-popping. You also say "basic running and gunning of doom/build etc" dishonestly. Nigga those games consist of platforming and gunning, jetpacking and gunning, swimming and gunning, fighting hordes of enemies at once solo, solving puzzles/finding secrets for additional minor combat boosters, navigating huge ass mazes, playing around with typically 10+ weapons on your person at once and how that factors into combat scenarios, and so on. How about fuck you and your desire for what is in reality the actual basic and repetitive gameplay.

Go play some build games. You can get them "free" if you're resourceful and then it'll be just like feeding off the works of the Doom community.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Decline enabler!

I do like heavily realism-based and tactical games btw, for what they are. But they're all the same. Same real world guns. Some slow ass movement speed. Same realistic damage models (headshot = instant death, else die in relatively few bullets). Same hitscan heavy combat. Same real world environments: overwhelmingly military combat zones. Same two-four weapon limits. Same level design principle of heavily revolving around realism. Same laser focus on one thing: mole-popping. You also say "basic running and gunning of doom/build etc" dishonestly. Nigga those games consist of do platforming and gunning, jetpacking and gunning, swimming and gunning, fighting hordes of enemies at once solo, solving puzzles/finding secrets for additional minor combat boosters, navigating huge ass mazes, playing around with typically 10+ weapons on your person at once and how that factors into combat scenarios, and so on. How about fuck you and your desire for what is in reality the actual basic and repetitive gameplay.
Yeah, sure you like them when you call them decline and shit. Maybe you just like them when you need to make a point or get in a internet argument.
Running and gunning is the core of what you do in those games, everything you said aside from puzzles/mazes which are a relatively tiny minority is either another way to pop moles (and somehow in these games which are almost purely about killing hordes of enemies isn't popamole, but carefully planning out your approach against single targets that can take you out in one shot is :lol:) or just something that boosts your mole popping.

Yeah, some games strive for realism. So what? Maybe some people just want intense but slow gameplay where one mistake could fuck you up instead of running around at light speed and killing most of the time the FPS equivalent of one hit trash mobs with occasional mobs that take more bullet than others, the same way there's nothing wrong liking that type of gameplay which I enjoy too, not in the 3D realms way but rather the Doom way.

Ash

Arcane
The 3D realms way was actually an evolution of the Doom formula. The Tactical shooter way wasn't. Almost an entirely different thing. Play build games because it sounds like you never progressed passed the first level of Duke 3D, and to dislike the build games but love Doom (and shitloads of doom mods) just doesn't make any sense. Sounds like ignorance as to what build games actually achieved. Might not be, but they're so closely related in quality and style that, again, I find it a bit strange to like one but not the other. Furthermore Doom mods often don't even follow the Doom way themselves also, e.g slaughterfest wads. Turns doom into an arena shooter.

I called the tactical and/or heavily realism-based shooter shit? I don't believe I did. Decline yes, shit on the whole no. Right off the bat I said they have merit and it's a valid style of design.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
an evolution of the Doom formula
This was never even the point of discussion, I repeated this at least 3 times, tactical FPS was no matter what an evolution of SHOOTERS, not the doom formula. Games where you generally use a firearm to shoot enemies, the same way Quake and Dark Forces were evolutions of shooters, the same way Half Life was an evolution of shooters.

No, I'm not playing Build games, I still like Doom more and it scratches that itch whenever I want to play a pure shooter.

PrettyDeadman

It seems that some players haven't reach the required evolutionary level to appreciate shooters more complex than Doom (I am talking about Builb Engine Games), this is why they believe that there was some kind of "evolution" in fps genre in the last 20 years (while in fact the genre was degrading all that time).

Last edited by a moderator:

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012

Ash

Arcane
Build engine pushed to its limits without any or inadequate new engine/rendering/script optimisation to account for it.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
...Which again shows their incompetence.
This is never getting finished, mark my words.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I think you gave Dragonul at least 1000 views for his vids, and he gained massive butthurt from fanboys so I think he's the one who won in the end.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I'm disappointed hearing in this thread that the game is too easy for veteran Build engine players. One of the things I loved about Blood was that it was as hard as a Brazilian tranny-hooker's home made ass implants. Hope that's sorted out in the retail release.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom