Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RockpaperShotgun FF order is retarded.

Best Final Fantasy.

• Final Fantasy VIII

Votes: 23 26.4%
  • Anything else except FFVIII

Votes: 64 73.6%

• Total voters

Ash

Arcane
I'm confused why the premise is important to you in that way. What has the use of pre-rendered 3D (as opposed to plain old 2D) got to do with it? Has little influence on gameplay. Also, the camera perspective and style of play is forever switching based on whatever the hell the devs feel. It encompasses every damn game camera perspective near enough! Take the North cave example image, the camera switches to side-scroller perspective:

latest

There are examples of near enough every standardised perspective:

First person: The Roller Coaster Shooter at the gold saucer.
Side-Scroller: North Cave image above, numerous other areas in dungeons
Top-Down: Keeper of time image above, Leap Frog Puzzle image above
Isometric: Town/dungeon default view
Behind-view third person: Snowboarding, Midgar Bike Chase, Submarine mini-game, Choc racing

Each switch suits the style of gameplay they were intending to create per area. My point is a) Pre-rendered 3D is relevant why? and b) it's not really a "JRPG" or even an RPG as it is known. It's whatever the hell it wants to be. Even turns into a strategy game at Fort Condor. I wish that was just a little more elaborate, because it's really cool and a bit of a missed opportunity.
Sure, one major aspect of core gameplay is JRPG or RPG (the combat and character management), but that's it. Otherwise it's all over the place in a very good way.

Last edited:

Jazz_

Arcane
Final Fantasy VIII gave me temporary autism, played it on my playstation when I was a kid and I was obsessed with it for a while.

Ash

Arcane
Ash Have you played FF VI modded? I haven't myself but there's that Brave New World thing that's said to change the game greatly or something.

I tried BNW. Thought it was a pile of shit. Didn't play it for too long but it proper retcons the story and not in a good way. For example, Relm, yes innocent little Relm, calls everyone "cunts", tells them she'll fuck them with rakes or some shit too. It's edgy amateur fanfic tier.

Ash

Arcane
^Is that sarcasm I detect, Sir?

It was merely one example. It oozes edgy amateur fanfic throughout.

newtmonkey

Arcane
I played/replayed much of this series a couple of years ago "between jobs" as they say.

I found that FFI had aged very well, and is basically a CRPG (namely, Wizardry in a lot of ways [except permadeath of course]) simplified for a two-button controller. I had never played FFII or FFIII, but found them to be very good games, although the job system in FFIII is more like a puzzle game than what we ended up with in FFV.

FFIV was a disappointment, as I loved that game as a kid. It's just far too linear in every way to enjoy during a replay, although the music has aged very well indeed. FFVI was, on the other hand, a pleasant surprise. I felt it was less interesting than FFIV when I was a kid, but now I appreciated it a lot more (especially the nonlinear second half).
(I've yet to finish FFV).

FFVII was a pleasant surprise. Back in the day, I felt it was a huge step down from the SNES games, and was also disappointed with the synth sounding music. Replaying it made me realize that it is MUCH closer to FFVI in spirit than people give it credit for (especially compared to games that came later). I even really enjoyed the synthy soundtrack the second time around. And those rendered backgrounds look AMAZING on a nice CRT, and have a nice mixture of realism and whimsy.

That's basically as far as my interest goes for FF. If I had to rank them, I'd probably rank them as:

1 & 6 & 7 > 2 & 3 > 4

Ash

Arcane
eh, 8, 9, 10, X-2 and 12 are much more worthwhile than 1-4 imo in every way: gameplay, story, art, music...give em a try, though I'd say start with 9.

Ash

Arcane
Regarding BNW

South Park references:

bnw1-0012.png

Foul mouthed little girl:

bnw3-0001.png

Breaking of the fourth wall:

bnw1-0051.png

Completely thematically inconsistent tasteless "jokes":

bnw2-0024.png

More :prosper: here: https://www.talking-time.net/showthread.php?p=1935513

There's loads of this nonsense throughout, and for some reason it is often touted as the best mod for FF6, definitive and suitable for newbies, and "what the game could have been like had the original dev team not been on crack".

WTF? I'm guessing hardcore FF6 fans are retarded.

Last edited:

Deflowerer

Arcane
Actually stylistically, visually and music-wise I prefer FFVIII as well. It's a cool scifi soap opera.

Is the Requiem mod any good?

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
9 is best period.

It has the charm of older ff games not some emo crisis 7 and 8 have.

Nearly all characters are well developed. Amaranth being an exception.

Main plot doesn't suck except sudden space flea from out of nowhere that is the final boss. Kuja being emo shit sucks too.

Actually unique characters instead of being interchangeable due to materia/slot/job system.

It was one of the easiest FF tho which is a con. And fuck hot and cold, some of the map is obscure aa fuck.

Ash

Arcane
9 is best period.
It has the charm of older ff games not some emo crisis 7 and 8 have.
Nearly all characters are well developed. Amaranth being an exception.
Main plot doesn't suck except sudden space flea from out of nowhere that is the final boss. Kuja being emo shit sucks too.

Imo it does have the best plot in the series. Art style and graphics are also probably peak. FF7 still has better gameplay though.

Actually unique characters instead of being interchangeable due to materia/slot/job system.

More unique characters, less customisation. The former isn't that relevant anyway as in say 7 each has their own equipment, stats and limit breaks. Personally I prefer to make my OWN unique battle characters through customisation in this series. Makes the otherwise quite shitty combat interesting. Thankfully FF9's ability stones and learning progression (which abilities to learn first with what character?) still provides some meaningful build choices, though it isn't much.

It was one of the easiest FF tho which is a con. And fuck hot and cold, some of the map is obscure aa fuck.

Truth. Also battle speed is excruciatingly slow and cannot be modified, unlike other FF.

Ash

Arcane
Is the Requiem mod any good?

Yes and no.

Pros: Difficulty is upped. Balance is better. Strategy is much higher level. Using your brain is key.

Cons: the game's grindy elements are accentuated as a result of the increase in difficulty. Also some late game battles are ridiculous and excessive. Not so much in difficulty but in how long they actually take to beat. I recommend quitting before Ultimacia (after Taimat took about 40 mins to beat I checked youtube for Ultimacia's battle: 2 HOURS. Rediculous for heavily RNG-based battles).
All in all better than playing piss-easy vanilla, but if you've never played FF7 Hardtype I'd suggest doing that before anything else.

This rediculous boss time thing only applied to Ultimate Weapon, Taimat, Ultimacia and one or two other late game bosses. Never had an issue with boss HP otherwise (battles are longer than vanilla but it never got tedious until the end where HP jumps up sharply).

I am underselling it really. It's good, it's just base FF8 systems and gameplay is highly flawed and this mod fixes some of it but highlights the shortcomings in other parts (grinding, for example drawing 100 magics being more important than ever).

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Anyone know anything about the following mods?

Final Fantasy (NES):

- Grond's Final Fantasy

Final Fantasy III (NES):

- Maeson Mix

Final Fantasy I & II Dawn of Souls (GBA):

- Mod of Balance [v2.2]
- Mod of Balance [v3.0]
- Hard Mode for Mod of Balance [v1.2]
- Vancian Magic System Patch [v1.1]

Don't need to ask about Tactics 1.3 since it's praised everywhere.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
There's loads of this nonsense throughout, and for some reason it is often touted as the best mod for FF6, definitive and suitable for newbies, and "what the game could have been like had the original dev team not been on crack".

WTF? I'm guessing hardcore FF6 fans are retarded.

No, mods are retarded.

Any mod that goes beyond fixing balance or obvious bugs or enhance graphics/UI ends up being horrible. I have not yet seen a mod that doesn't devolve into a mess of fanfiction, lame in-jokes, unbalanced features, kitchensink features and so on. The only exception are strategy games where you can create maps with the editor; Heroes and Warcraft had some good maps made for them. Still I'm pretty sure that's because of limitations of map editors: you can't go full retard when you make a Warcraft 3 map.

Doktor Best

Arcane
There's plenty decent gameplay design in all the classic FF games starting with 5 and ending with 12, but in 7 + Hardtype mod holy shit is it fun as hell. I'd say 9/10 gameplay while before it was like 7.5/10 maybe 8, which would be the highest rank I'd give to any game in the series, and any turn-based JRPG I've played.
That's enough gameplay talk (though this is the type of stuff fans of overhyped garbage like Chrono Trigger and FF4 just cannot really grasp. Such boring-ass gameplay).
The art style while the characters look like absolute ass and create inconsistency, backgrounds are just incredible. And said janky models have tons of charming animations. The variety of locales is so cool too, from cyberpunk dystopia to chilling on a spanish-inspired beach resort?
The soundtrack is of course great, but that is the case for most, naturally.
Story is batshit insane but it has plenty charm nonetheless, aside from Cloud's story in Kalm and his "finding [of] himself" in the lifestream. God I hate those bits. But yeah, that whole subplot with Don Corneo wanting to fuck every woman he sees culminating in you teaming up with the Turks in Wutai and whatnot, just hilarious. Plenty of great moments even if the story as a whole is campy and inconsistent.
6 used to be my favourite with 7 coming in probably second, but I went back to them all recently after nearly a decade and 7 was a shitton of fun. The FF7 Hardtype mod I mentioned had a big hand in that though as with it the gameplay shines twice as bright. Highly recommended!

I played a shitload of games last year and FF7 + mod was definitely one of the most memorable. The Square Enix remake is going to butcher the hell out of a classic. Those cunts destroy everything they touch.

I plan on getting a bit into FFVII in the near future and im currently wondering which mods i should use.

For now i have considered:

-hardcore mod (for difficulty/rebalance)
-reunion mod (for the retranslation)

Do you have any experience with those 2 mods?

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Neither, though I do want to try the New Threat mod.

"Hardcore mod"

Why hardcore mod and not hardtype mod? I can only vouch for hardtype and it was gud.

cruel

Cipher
Maybe somebody will know. Few days ago I was reading (I think on wiki) about a game, that was initially planned as Final Fantasy (7 or 8), but the plot and the game itself turned out to be much too mature / serious, so it was divided and released as another / separate game instead. What game is that? Trying to find this now and no luck.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Maybe somebody will know. Few days ago I was reading (I think on wiki) about a game, that was initially planned as Final Fantasy (7 or 8), but the plot and the game itself turned out to be much too mature / serious, so it was divided and released as another / separate game instead. What game is that? Trying to find this now and no luck.

Are you talking about Xenogears?

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron

yup

Perkel

Arcane
Tough choice imo.

FF6 has the best story
FF9 imo is the most complete and fun (any my personal favorite)
but FF8 has the best world to explore (like most of GFs are totally optional, odin castle etc)

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Final Fantasy Tactics
Speaking of BNW and ID by extension, any codexers or lurkers who like FFT but haven't played the 1.3 mod should do so.
1.3 is hot garbage. It bloats enemy HP to ridiculous degrees, and makes battles take longer than with PSP slowdown. It has genuine improvements, especially for someone who's looking for more content in FFT (which is why I suggest the content pack rather than the rebalance patch), but it's essentially a mod that requires the user to grind and lab the game as much as the modders did when making it. If I had to put it one way, if anyone has ever seen the boring work that goes into being "competitive" in Pokemon, this is along that same angle. It also features heavy level scaling, which is always fun.

cruel

Cipher

yup

Thanks. Yes, it seems this will be Xenogears. I was searching around Secret of Mana / Suidoken / Xenogears / Xenoblade Chronicles and similar, so it matches one of those. So I'm guessing it's worth playing then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom