Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

Balor

Arcane
I know, at some point this is gonna stop being funny but not yet. Not yet.

Actually, both PRO and ANTI SJW stopped being even remotely funny long ago, but you must be easily amused.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Somehow SJW rags can't stop covering this nazi game.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/03/05/kingdom-come-deliverance-historical-accuracy/

- Witcher 3: "It's NOT a historical game, it's fantasy FFS, so why no blacks in Poland!!11"
- KCD: "Sure it's historical but trying to be historicaly perfect is foolish so why even try. Plus all historians are biased, they must be, right? Therefore should've put more blacks in Bohemia!1!1!"

And they keep giving it free advertising, and it keeps selling more copies...it's almost like controversy, "faked" and/or retarded will generate more sales.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It's just that they gave in thanks to KCD selling well, and are looking to cash in on some clicks.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/03/05/kingdom-come-deliverance-historical-accuracy/

- Witcher 3: "It's NOT a historical game, it's fantasy FFS, so why no blacks in Poland!!11"
- KCD: "Sure it's historical but trying to be historicaly perfect is foolish so why even try. Plus all historians are biased, they must be, right? Therefore should've put more blacks in Bohemia!1!1!"

I just fucking hate these people.

Paul_cz

Arcane

I just fucking hate these people.

Yeah I gotta admit I despise them.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
"History is full of missing sources, assumptions, and nobody actually knows what it was really like".

Yes, but the people most qualified to make a historically accurate game would still be Czech historians from Czech Republic, not some dude on a website.

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If there is one thing I find really irritating, it's the NPC schedules.

In 6 in the morning the sun is already up. However, most traders/services are closed until 8-9.

I don't know how much this conforms to reality, especially medieval reality, but I know that in the villages of present day, people who work the land usually try to get work started as soon as light breaks, so as to be able to do enough work before noon, when it gets hotter and thus more difficult to work. You have lunch at noon, then you work some hours more until sundown, then you go for schnapps and dinner, and go to bed *early* because it's another day tomorrow.

However, this isn't my gripe with the game, not conforming to reality. My gripe is that from the moment day breaks, I have a downtime of nearly half a day before I am able to visit traders, services (baths), or quest givers. Given that ingame time in KCD flies at an extraordinary pace (why in the first place?), this is half a day lost for questing, riding from place to place, or whacking bandits.

I've been standing for 5 hours - from 7 to 12 - in front of Radzig's scribe's room, waiting for the dumbfuck get up from sleep and open his door. This makes no sense at all.

For some reason the tailor is always late too. So if you need to repair everything you will not be done until 10 or so. I should have killed that asshole :argh:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

http://archive.is/8XASs
^like this

Can we start using archive.is or posting the full article in a spoiler btw? It's the best way to fight clickbait garbage like this.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Lol, he uses "Romani" instead of "Roma". First-class historical rebuttal of KCD's claims of historical accuracy :lol:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I wonder if RPS would be signing the same tune if someone made a game in a XIX century US where blacks aren't slaves.

Yeah well we only really know about slavery from historians, and historians are full of biases, history is a flawed field, what do they really know? Making a historical game based on knowledge from historians is a fool's errand.

Or maybe a WW2 game where Nazi's are good guys riding on Unicorns and Churchil and Roosevelt burn the Jews. Because why should I trust historians? They weren't even there.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Their argument is dumb even as it is. It sums up to: "we can't know what happened in the past, therefore it's impossible that anything is `historically accurate`". That's bullshit. We don't know with certainty what happened 30 years ago either. Does this mean we should stop studying the past or taking examples from the past, both positive and negative?

It's a lazy first-year student's argument that gets destroyed in one minute.

One good thing about the article is that some kid might read it and finish it with the takeaway that he should apply critical thought when examining the sources of any story.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
If there is one thing I find really irritating, it's the NPC schedules.

In 6 in the morning the sun is already up. However, most traders/services are closed until 8-9.

I don't know how much this conforms to reality, especially medieval reality, but I know that in the villages of present day, people who work the land usually try to get work started as soon as light breaks, so as to be able to do enough work before noon, when it gets hotter and thus more difficult to work. You have lunch at noon, then you work some hours more until sundown, then you go for schnapps and dinner, and go to bed *early* because it's another day tomorrow.

However, this isn't my gripe with the game, not conforming to reality. My gripe is that from the moment day breaks, I have a downtime of nearly half a day before I am able to visit traders, services (baths), or quest givers. Given that ingame time in KCD flies at an extraordinary pace (why in the first place?), this is half a day lost for questing, riding from place to place, or whacking bandits.

I've been standing for 5 hours - from 7 to 12 - in front of Radzig's scribe's room, waiting for the dumbfuck get up from sleep and open his door. This makes no sense at all.
From 5 to 10 is farming time,you go around and farm bandits for gear,after that you get drunk in front of a shop and wait for a few hours vomiting.

PS:Yeah it is really annoying how you have to waste a lot of time waiting for the lazy fuck,the alchemic was the worst. The worst is that this is modern day schedule while during this times people were up by 5-6 in the morning.

Mark Richard

Arcane
Eerily reminiscent of Kotaku's claim that objectivity is a silly thing to strive for. Historical accuracy, objectivity, it's all facets of the same thing - truth. There are many things in life that are worth striving for even if they're not obtainable, and truth is the most important of all. Giving up on the pursuit of truth is renouncing any hope of personal growth. Seeing these so called journalists deny the fundamental tenet of their profession is like watching a priest deny faith.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Something I've been thinking regarding historical realism in any game - it requires rolepaly on the player's part, to abstain from putting his post-industrial-revolution era rationality to work in a game world where his character is supposed to have the mindset of a medieval man. What are the limits of playing stupid in order to keep the game fun, and where does weird-looking larping begin?

For example, after I killed 4 bandits guarding Skalitz' silver mine, I lined up their naked bodies before the front gate, Narcos style. Probably not the right kind of roleplaying, but I was really pissed at them :lol:

Here is another lens through which to look at KCD's story - cartels fighting over territory :D

AwesomeButton

Patron
No, this RPS guy is a complete retard - "how can it be historically accurate when you can't share the emotions of religious fanatics burning down their houses??" Idiot, by this logic you can't share the emotions of anyone in any game, because, wait for it, you know it's a game while the character does not!

This maybe doesn't apply entirely in Railroad Tycoon II where you roleplay a nasty businessman who sees money as mere points, there you can have a total unison between character and player. But in most games, it's useless to look for this kind of unison, regardless of whether they are historical or not.

Mafia all over again?
Lord Hanush se respetta, malparido hijo de puta!

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Eerily reminiscent of Kotaku's claim that objectivity is a silly thing to strive for.

It's absolutely eerie how much are these people nailed in Atlas Shrugged. "Objectivity is pointless, rationality an illusion, everything is relative and reality is infinitely malleable." It's pretty clear postmodernists weren't born in 1960s France, they've been always there.

AwesomeButton

Patron
It seems hard to top the Eurogamer review which dinged the game as racist for not including black rape babies.
They never said the babies would be rape babies. Maybe someone black just happened to be in town, and some Czech woman was very fascinated by his diversity, you know...

Balor

Arcane
Eerily reminiscent of Kotaku's claim that objectivity is a silly thing to strive for.

It's absolutely eerie how much are these people nailed in Atlas Shrugged. "Objectivity is pointless, rationality an illusion, everything is relative and reality is infinitely malleable." It's pretty clear postmodernists weren't born in 1960s France, they've been always there.

Actually, since everything is relative, objectivity as good a thing to strive for as any other. :)

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
It seems hard to top the Eurogamer review which dinged the game as racist for not including black rape babies.
They never said the babies would be rape babies. Maybe someone black just happened to be in town, and some Czech woman was very fascinated by his diversity, you know...

Of course of course, who knows.

It's just such a surreal thing to write in a game review. It's one thing to say the controls are bad, the music is lacking, the graphics are poor, the story is unfinished, etc, etc. But demanding to know why the authors didn't account for possible miscegenation? That's a first. If that's a valid complaint then literally anything is. Its part of a new concept of art where we attack things for what they aren't rather than what they are. Everything must conform to the narrative, no exceptions.

norolim

Arcane
Their argument is dumb even as it is. It sums up to: "we can't know what happened in the past, therefore it's impossible that anything is `historically accurate`". That's bullshit.

Yes. Fucking relativism in everything and every think. It's the manifesto of the modern progressives condensed into one word.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom