Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Name a RPG and I will play it. (within reason)

Master

Arbiter
Before you run off and snag Arcanum, I think it's only fair to warn you that probably the most monocled poster and RPG critic this site has ever seen, Irenaeus, leveraged withering criticisms of it which can be found here: http://www.rpgcodex.com/forums/inde...r-played-emphasis-on-game-and-not-rpg.107495/

I'm not sure if he still lurks around these parts (I think he left because he knew his job was finished).

As an aside, I've never seen someone so secure in his identity (not like most posters here).
Withering criticisms? A bunch of nitpicks, and some of them arent even true.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
and I'll play a game with graphics equal to or greater than those of Neverwinter Nights (2002)

This is a pretty big restriction if you want to explore the RPG genre.
I don't get the fuss.
NWN is one of the ugliest games ever created and has aged terribly, so pretty much every game would fit the bill that doesn't fall into the "early 3D" category.

Zlaja

Arcane
If you liked Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale then you MIGHT enjoy Divine Divinity. Lovely isometric graphics and nice sense of humor. Check also Planescape Torment. Shit combat but nice story and dialogue.

If you enjoyed KOTOR 1 & 2 then you should give Jade Empire a try. Similar stuff. Nice setting, if nothing else. Go evil route for more fun.

Also if you enjoyed the atmosphere in Morrowind you should play the Gothic series including a fan-patched Gothic 3.

And you should also play Elex. Why? Because I said so. GOTY 2017. ELEX! (don't join the Clerics like all the other faggots)

NWN is one of the ugliest games ever created and has aged terribly

Along with the first Dungeon Siege. *shudder*

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Play System Shock 2 at night time with good headphones for extra awesomeness
I wrote up a little post about SS2 a while ago elsewhere, but god damn I still can't stand playing that game. It always gets me butthurt when the enemies randomly spawn behind your back and cheaply take a ton of HP from you. The atmosphere of the game and gameplay is okay but gunning through hordes of mutants that just keep spawning really gets tiring.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
It always gets me butthurt when the enemies randomly spawn behind your back and cheaply take a ton of HP from you.

But that is the part of the survival atmosphere. It keeps you 90% of game time uneasy and ready.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
But that is the part of the survival atmosphere. It keeps you 90% of game time uneasy and ready.
I think it's bad game design to have the game be entirely able to shoot through by roleplaying as some gunner strongman marine who doesn't care about psi or hacking, but you prevent it by just randomly spawning enemies because you didn't know how to place ammo and supplies sparsely enough.

Nael

Arcane
Or, failing that, kill yourself.

Telling people to kill themselves is extremely problematic.

EXTREME PROBLEMATICS

giphy.gif

Master

Arbiter
I think it's bad game design to have the game be entirely able to shoot through by roleplaying as some gunner strongman marine who doesn't care about psi or hacking, but you prevent it by just randomly spawning enemies because you didn't know how to place ammo and supplies sparsely enough.
You really need to learn to play if you can't handle a couple of extra hybrids that may or may not be there.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
You really need to learn to play if you can't handle a couple of extra hybrids that may or may not be there.
It's not that I can't kill them, it just feels cheap when I exit an empty room and the game spawns a shotgun hybrid right behind my back and I lose some HP.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
While technically not an rpg, it has a lot rpgish elements, I think this will suit your taste.

Prosper got finaly greenlit.

It's not that I can't kill them, it just feels cheap when I exit an empty room and the game spawns a shotgun hybrid right behind my back and I lose some HP.

I think spawns were in the rooms with more than one exit - which is logic.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Respawning in SS2 was rather necessary, since you were required to do a lot of backtracking, but the point is that game is doing it in such obnoxious and frustrating manner, that I can understand this dude's point. I don't know how the respawns were triggered, but I remember frequent shenanigans of game throwing a shotgun hybrid behind your back in a room you cleared less than minute ago.

Still, I love SS2 to death and replay it regularly.

Piotrovitz

Savant
True to much extent, but in SS2 respawns weren't THAT immersion-breaking.

It's a huge ass spaceship with plenty of places to hide after all - makes sense that some of the semi-intelligent entities don't rush at you from every corner once they can smell you, but rather try to ambush you if possible etc.

Agree that respawns suck in mostly every game, but here they can be at least rationalized. Plus, you don't run around empty decks once you clear everything out on initial exploration. It just requires you to be constantly on your toes.

Master

Arbiter
Don't understand the respawning hate. I played with 2x increased respawning rate(or something) and it wasn't THAT bad. If you want to save ammo or don't have any you can just run away. Every deck has some hiding spot or other where they can't reach.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Don't understand the respawning hate. I played with 2x increased respawning rate(or something) and it wasn't THAT bad. If you want to save ammo or don't have any you can just run away. Every deck has some hiding spot or other where they can't reach.
While I don't necessarily hate it, I can understand others frustration, since the game does it obnoxiously.
This probably could have been handled better - I don't know how the respawns are triggered, but sometimes it gets so random, you can get pissed off.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Honestly respawns are a bad game mechanic in any game that is supposed to create a coherent atmosphere.
Depends what you mean by "coherent". In a horror environment you're not supposed to be able to "clear cut" and feel completely safe. Goes completely against the atmosphere. It's supposed to be a ship with hundreds of transformed crew members, this isn't a story where the protagonist gets out a clipboard and checks off every crewman he's eliminated until the ship is safe again. And it's not a dungeon where there are 3 goblins in room #1, you kill the goblins and then no one but you ever goes there again. Respawns made the environment more realistic, not less, as it gave a sense that you weren't the only thing moving on the ship.

Master

Arbiter
Yeah and it wasnt without rime or reason either. Certain enemies respawned only in certain places where it made sense for them to be. Also if you need a justification; if you catch them when they spawn you can see the teleportation power effect, i guess this meaning that The Body of the Many teleports them around with its psy powers. Very convenient...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom