Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Citystate, build and rule a nation

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Nobody mentioned Tropico yet? Lol. Will buy this thing if it allows me to arrest/murder all communists, like Tropico does.

McPlusle

Savant
I played for about three years in game time. In that time, only three of the dozens of legislative options had been unlocked. I'm not sure what the milestones for unlocking them are. The building itself is extremely underwhelming, and the "political simulation" feels almost nonexistent. Maybe it doesn't really come into play until your city is absolutely massive. At the moment, it just feels like a second-rate city-builder.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I played for about three years in game time. In that time, only three of the dozens of legislative options had been unlocked. I'm not sure what the milestones for unlocking them are. The building itself is extremely underwhelming, and the "political simulation" feels almost nonexistent. Maybe it doesn't really come into play until your city is absolutely massive. At the moment, it just feels like a second-rate city-builder.

dreams are made to be shattered
rating_negativeman.png

oscar

Arcane
Looks like the developer is listening to feedback and planning additional buildings in subsequent patches. Really tempted to buy this one but some of the reviews are quite damning. Hopefully the dev continues to buff it out.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The first noticeable thing is, this game doesn't even allows you to zone commercial and industrial area. Instead your population needs resources, if your state produces enough resources it will export the surplus, if not they'll import as needed. Resources can be mined from some tiles, or for food you plot farm tiles. In practice those mined resources end up being easy way to fix your income (The initial budget is pretty steep, but if you had a lot of savings but you suddenly had minus income it's easy to fix by building mines) It's nice that the game tries to be different, too bad they just end up being shallow.

Though this game is not entirely shit, for instance the informal settlements are a nice addition, they eat up spaces and if you destroy them it decreases stability, unfortunately they don't explain what stability is for, and having low stability doesn't seem to affect my state, so again it's a cool idea executed badly.

The political sim is also shallow, you don't do anything except making choices when the issue came, and it makes the game sounds pretentious by using socio-political terms that aren't usually used on SC games and by bringing up everyone's favorite issues such as gun control and gender equality without affecting gameplay much.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yes game as both City and Small state sim is bare bones so far; it lacks options Sim City 2000 had like sending Police or Military to beath the shit out of rioting scum who destroy my building; you are also very much rail roaded onto running your state onto being Liberterian and free Market ones cause those ungrateful and unpatriotic rabble riot at tax rate of... 5%.

:what:

So if you enact any even modest Bismarck like social program you end up with mess. You can forget get any Foreign affairs ala Tropico, Kwan Liberation or Coups... Nothing, Null, Zero nada...
So game is nice but lacks so much it promissed (Where is muh Police state) I would be :flamesaw:if I did not demo her; what it does it does surprisingly good but you would better spend your time playing Tropico, or Sims from 2000 to 4.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Looks purdy, on what engine does this run?

I'm getting no hits for "Unity" on the game's Steam forum so that's promising.

Does it support 4K resolution? Does it run decent like SC 3000 or like hot garbage like SC 4?

Last edited:

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
I only wish we would finally get a city builder where having slums and lots of low income housing is economically viable so i can create the ultimate neo-liberal utopia.
:keepmymoney:

The problem with city builders is that you can win them, in the sense that raising the standard of living and having everyone be middle class or higher is extremely easy. If I play Sim City 4 or Cities Skylines the way the devs want me to play, I'll end up with nothing but skyscrapers, high tech industry and mansions. Without the shitty parts of the city, it doesn't feel real.
Maybe it is real and there are just bad guys out there making it impossible.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:necro:

A sequel is coming. It gets 3D graphics with voxelized terrains for some reason. It seems the developer addressed some of the issues mentioned here.

ss_98adb87223c2553c7a340a800dd3ac45b466469a.600x338.jpg
ss_4c41074c16dbaca332c938751aaa986a70747297.600x338.jpg

City Building
Build roads, avenues and highways. Lay out commercial, residential and industrial zones. Provide health and education services, place fire and police stations and extend public buildings to fit the growing population.

Population Growth
Define with precision how your population grows by controlling the immigration policy. Filter immigrants by level of education and geographical origin. Increase your Nation’s attractiveness to appeal to richer populations.

Politics & Economics
Choose how to deal with contemporary political issues and economic matters by editing to your liking more than 50 policies (social benefits, freedom of religion, bank regulations, trade policies, …). Create your own custom policies to boost your cities’ growth further.

Claim new lands to build new cities and extend your Nation. Exchange revenues and workers across cities.

Hop in a car anywhere anytime and drive around to visit your city from a first-person view.

Notes from the developer:
- The game is specifically designed for mature audiences.
- Unlike Cities: Skylines, Citystate II focuses on the economic and social dynamics of the city more than the infrastructure layout or the traffic management. Don’t expect a city painter type of experience, or an extensive amount of micro managing tasks.
- This is a one man’s project. I’ve designed the policies and the economic mechanics to mimic the Nations of our contemporary world with very little self-censorship. Thus, Citystate might often be politically incorrect and, possibly biased. Gamer discretion advised.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom