Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Turn-Based Tactics Into the Breach: Advanced Edition - mech tactics game from FTL devs with Chris Avellone writing

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Everything that I've seen about it is underwhelming as fuck. Looks like 10-15 hours game with little to none replay value.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Everything that I've seen about it is underwhelming as fuck. Looks like 10-15 hours game with little to none replay value.
In 10-15 hours you can complete 10-15 games. That's 9 times more replayability then almost every AAAAA+ game today.

Kill yourself please. Preferably using the edge of that oh-so-very edgy post.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Downloaded the game,decided to play on easy to see the mechanics,before i knew it i finished the game,started another,saw that there is the same repetitive shit that i have dome 26 times before and deleted it. It is repetitive and it lacks the good randomness of FTL,but it have some shitty randomness,enemies are very random and they move before you. It doesn't sound bad but once you play it a little you will see how shit it is and in later missions is all game of luck.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
In 10-15 hours you can complete 10-15 games. That's 9 times more replayability then almost every AAAAA+ game today.

That's the dumbest shit I have ever heard in my entire life. If in 10 hours you complete 10 games, how much replay value have you gotten out of it? Oh right, 10 hours.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron

That's the dumbest shit I have ever heard in my entire life. If in 10 hours you complete 10 games, how much replay value have you gotten out of it? Oh right, 10 hours.

No, 10 times. 10 replays.

10 divided by 1 is 10. I understand that it was hard for urmom to teach you math with my dick in her mouth all the time, but you should have picked it up somewhere by now.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Downloaded the game,decided to play on easy to see the mechanics,before i knew it i finished the game,started another,saw that there is the same repetitive shit that i have dome 26 times before and deleted it. It is repetitive and it lacks the good randomness of FTL,but it have some shitty randomness,enemies are very random and they move before you. It doesn't sound bad but once you play it a little you will see how shit it is and in later missions is all game of luck.
FTL is much, MUCH more random than this. It's all about restarting until you get a good early run.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
FTL is much, MUCH more random than this. It's all about restarting until you get a good early run.
Well, yeah, but so is Into The Breach.
If the first two island are not a perfect run, forget about doing a 3 or 4 island run.

However, I don't agree that FTL is more random. It is more a game of attrition. I found it extremely rare that a single encounter, especially early on, can completely ruin your run.
In ITB, I already lost track of how often I had to restart during the first two islands because I was given some fully impossible situation that I knew would cost me so much that recovering from it is pretty much impossible. So I just restart.

I probably restarted the very first mission more than a dozen times already because I was just presented with a guaranteed hit to the grid from the get-go.
I'd call that much more random than FTL.

All in all, while ITB is definitely fun and I'll certainly try and check out all the teams, it just doesn't seem to have the depth of FTL. You basically have only one resource to manage, the grid. Everything else fully recovers after a battle (except if a pilot dies, but that is a certain restart if it was a good pilot).

Last edited:

Black

Arcane
Damn. I'd guess that those are fanboy numbers.
There are still 1500 idiots larping Cpt Picard in FTL.
I'm glad you 2018s keep raising the bar for retadred raiting.
Zombra, you backed so much crap that even if ITB is utter garbage you shouldn't have a problem with it.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
So a game that's 1 second long but only costs $15 is a great value if it has 100 different "endings"?
It depends on whether the game is good enough to make you want to play it 100 times to see all the endings. If it's 20 hours long but all the endings are shit like Mass Effect 3, there is no replay value because you will only play it once. Or you will load a game from the extremely obvious SAVE HERE NOW BECAUSE YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO GO BACK point and click dialog option 2 to see ending 2. Even though its more time spent, the replayability is zero.

Replay is not about how many hours you get, it's about how many times you will be tempted to go back and play again after you complete the game.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not really, FTL is about to balance trying to get the perfect load out with surviving your current situation.
Once you know what you do, you don't need that much luck (that said, it was with the base version. I have not played the extended edition much, so it was in normal, and not in hard).

Edit: Except if you took the Stealth B, that started without shield but in its case, it was a feature more than a bug I suppose.

Last edited:

Arnust

Savant
1520234326.jpg

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Into the breach also has a hefty amount of randomness. The creatures AI works in mysterious way, sometimes, the whole five of them will move past my mechs, and attacks buildings only, and in some turns, they will focus mostly on my team. I don't know if its hardcoded or random, like alterneting each turn. It can be completely disastrous coupled with random enemy spawn -good luck if you have 5 enemies on first round, and they all target buildings, worse yet you have two mantises/scorpions among them, that immobilize you.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It can be completely disastrous coupled with random enemy spawn -good luck if you have 5 enemies on first round, and they all target buildings, worse yet you have two mantises/scorpions among them, that immobilize you.
That is why I avoid Detritus island like the plague. Those random spawns that sometimes appear from the acid pools can totally wreck you.
All the other islands have only positive effects, or effects that you can use in your advantage at least. But a random +1 enemy is pretty nasty.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Not like this mate,in FTL most things depend on you. In this game is like playing with only two shields an there is a 50/50 chance of enemy to have 4 weapons and the enemy always attacks first. I did finished the first three islands with full energy and in the first battle on the fourth island i dropped to one or two. The game decided to keep spamming enemy with more health than my damage and i was doing 3-5 damage per unit. Also most of the enemy were bugs that do damage to three buildings. Also the map didn't had any water to insta kill them. It is stupid how you can't replenish energy until you finish the island. The game is ok for a mobile,to get annoyed for 15-30 minutes and rage quit.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Not like this mate,in FTL most things depend on you. In this game is like playing with only two shields an there is a 50/50 chance of enemy to have 4 weapons and the enemy always attacks first. I did finished the first three islands with full energy and in the first battle on the fourth island i dropped to one or two. The game decided to keep spamming enemy with more health than my damage and i was doing 3-5 damage per unit. Also most of the enemy were bugs that do damage to three buildings. Also the map didn't had any water to insta kill them. It is stupid how you can't replenish energy until you finish the island. The game is ok for a mobile,to get annoyed for 15-30 minutes and rage quit.
Nah nigga you just need to git gud.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Nah nigga you just need to git gud.
:australia:I have 100% success rate mate. u git gud!!!

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

No, 10 times. 10 replays.

10 replays x 1 hour each, which means the game has 10 hours worth of replay value. This is why we call it replay value, a game with high replay value is a good investment because you can get a lot of additional hours of gameplay out of it. 10 hours worth of replay value for a strategy game is absolutely pitiful, when there are games in the genre where people clock hundreds or thousands of hours.

Silva

Arcane
10 replays x 1 hour each, which means the game has 10 hours worth of replay value. This is why we call it replay value, a game with high replay value is a good investment because you can get a lot of additional hours of gameplay out of it. 10 hours worth of replay value for a strategy game is absolutely pitiful, when there are games in the genre where people clock hundreds or thousands of hours.
Nah drop the edginess. Game is a fun rogue-puzzle hybrid and is fine for the price tag. If you like it it's easily worth around 15-20h of quality play.

If you don't like it, then go back to Baldurs Gates 100 hours of romancing and replay value and shut the fuck up.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Nah drop the edginess. Game is a fun rogue-puzzle hybrid and is fine for the price tag. If you like it it's easily worth around 15-20h of quality play.

That's exactly what everybody is saying though. It's a competently made turn-based shovelware, good for playing on your phone for a couple of hours while taking a dump. Fun for a while, but ultimately it's is nothing special and it would struggle to move 5k units if it wasn't coming off FTL hype.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's just a relatively casual turn-based game that you can play from time to time to make some "runs".
You know games are not only good if they last 50+ hours..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom