Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dark Sun: Shattered Lands is fucking great

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Saduj that said, and while I do think it pioneered a certain kind of isometric, branching-dialogue-based RPGs, it is missing one key feature of BG: companions.

:dead:

:nocountryforshitposters:

:what:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Are you saying that's not a key feature (maybe the key feature) of BG? I'm not saying I liked it (indeed, I don't really like the BG series that much for any elements), but if you ask someone what defines BG, they'll probably say, "Go for the eyes, boo" and "You must gather your party before venturing forth." After that, romancing companions. Sad but true.

If Darksun had replaced full-party creation with pandering to, psychoanalyzing, and then seducing pre-made companions in the worst traditions of the therapist profession, SSI's RPG division probably would've survived long enough for EA to consume it. :D

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Are you saying that's not a key feature (maybe the key feature) of BG?

ummm

no?

It's also missing tech research, one of the key features of Civilization.

If Darksun had replaced full-party creation with pandering to, psychoanalyzing, and then seducing pre-made companions in the worst traditions of the therapist profession, SSI's RPG division probably would've survived long enough for EA to consume it. :D

well there were companions in what came after it, Ravenlofts and Menzoberranzan.

And much good it did them.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
It's also missing tech research, one of the key features of Civilization.
I don't get the joke, alas.

well there were companions in what came after it, Ravenlofts and Menzoberranzan.

And much good it did them.
At this point, I'm wondering whether you played BG or SSI's games. :)

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
The companions in Ravenloft and Menzoberranzan bear no resemblance at all to the companions in BG and the games that follower.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
RL and Menzo weren't exactly gud games is what I'm saying.

Wether you had companions in there or not didn't really add or take away, certainly not when you had companions like fucking Drizzt.

Dark Sun is a game with little NPC interaction, or at least verbosity. Companions would be wack out of place/ unnecessary.

I would concede that it could have increased replayability though. DS parties tend to end up looking kind of samey. There's no reason really to not slap as many classes on everyone as possible, you'll want two healers, a preserver, and a Half-Giant is p. much mandatory as well. Intentionally gimping the player's party with a single class Thri-Kreen Ranger or Half-Elf Preserver would have mixed things up.

edit: if you're entirely coming from the angle of wether Dark Sun kind of made a mould for BG you're barking up the wrong tree btw. In fact the reliance on companions in the SSI games after that say more in that regard, as does the transition to real time combat in those games.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
The companions in Ravenloft and Menzoberranzan bear no resemblance at all to the companions in BG and the games that follower.

BG1 companions were mostly fluff. Having to go kill some gnolls to gain Minsc or Edwin was already exceptionally deep and involved. Not much difference to SSI games there.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
edit: if you're entirely coming from the angle of wether Dark Sun kind of made a mould for BG you're barking up the wrong tree btw.

Errr... it's not barking up a tree, it's following a line of discussion?

It's essentially a Baldur's Gate precursor with turn-based combat and a more interesting setting.
That said, and while I do think it pioneered a certain kind of isometric, branching-dialogue-based RPGs, it is missing one key feature of BG: companions. Even the NPCs who join the party are pretty much ciphers.

Also, you seem to have missed the (extremely heavy) sarcasm in:

Perhaps either I'm not communicating coherently or you're just goofing on me, but either way doesn't make much sense to derail the thread further.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
edit: if you're entirely coming from the angle of wether Dark Sun kind of made a mould for BG you're barking up the wrong tree btw.

Errr... it's not barking up a tree, it's following a line of discussion?

not my line though, I simply took offense to bringing up companions and Dark Sun in the same sentence. Carry on then.

Also, you seem to have missed the (extremely heavy) sarcasm in:

my (extremely accute) senses picked up on your sarcasm, you did seem to be coming from the point that companions are an advantage of BG or at least an objective evolution.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
my (extremely accute) senses picked up on your sarcasm, you did seem to be coming from the point that companions are an advantage of BG or at least an objective evolution.
Of course they are an advantage, if done right.
As MRY said, one of the most memorable things about the BG games are the companions. The wonderful, delightful cheesiness of Minsc and the likes of Aerie are unmatched.
What memories do I have of my fully self-created parties in Dark Sun, IWD, Wasteland, etc.? None.
I can identify with my main character (if the game lets me), but I can't be assed to try and "roleplay" a whole bunch of people.
Anyone besides the main character will just always be fluff to me, and so it is better if the game provides something memorable.

Of course, memorable goes both ways, so the memories I have of some other BioWare companions is... less positive than the hilarity of Minsc.

Besides, at least BG also let you create your entire party yourself, if you preferred that.

Last edited:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
BG made a lot of money off its companions. I didn't care for them. But many of my favorite RPGs (PS:T, MOTB, KOTOR2) based party interactions off BG's mold, so I can hardly be too hard on the game. On the other hand, there are other RPGs I've loved that had either no companions (AOD, V:TM:B) or very thin companions (Fallout, DS:SL).

I do think that if DS:SL had gone the BG route, it might well have been more successful. DS:SL was the most console-RPG looking (and feeling) RPG of its time, and it's not impossible that it (rather than BG) could've been the game that brought jRPG types onto the PC.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
BG made a lot of money off its companions. I didn't care for them. But many of my favorite RPGs (PS:T, MOTB, KOTOR2) based party interactions off BG's mold, so I can hardly be too hard on the game. On the other hand, there are other RPGs I've loved that had either no companions (AOD, V:TM:B) or very thin companions (Fallout, DS:SL).

welp, at that point CRPG companions were so new and interactions so obvious and simple, I don't think we actually have to give BG much credit except for going there at all (which was a really obvious route though). BG1 companions were really just henchmen with a little text. BGII already made huge leaps, Keldorn is an example that comes to my mind.

The BG reputation mechanic was actually pretty fucking horrible and a very primitive way to inject some dynamics into companions.

I do think that if DS:SL had gone the BG route, it might well have been more successful. DS:SL was the most console-RPG looking (and feeling) RPG of its time, and it's not impossible that it (rather than BG) could've been the game that brought jRPG types onto the PC.

it did poorly in reviews back then IIRC. I think bugs upon release accounted for a lot of that, but people were also very reluctant to accept that radical step away from tried and true CRPG formulas, especially the Goldbox one. Reviewers really got off on the adventure mechanics though, which may be a sign a lot of them hadn't actually made it out into the deep desert. Even the art style which fans of the game love drew criticism for being too cute and not gritty enough. I don't know what people were waiting for at that time, but it apparently wasn't Shattered Lands.

Skall

Learned
MRY Calling Dark Sun: Shattered Lands Baldur's Gate with turn-based combat was a simplification, but I don't think it's an unreasonable one. Sure, pre-scripted companions were definitely not one of Shattered Lands' features, but when I recently played Baldur's Gate, I was actually surprised at the sparseness of its companion interactions. I think -- like many -- I tend to conflate those with how they were implemented in Planescape: Torment and Baldur's Gate II.

While a fully player-generated party is definitely more of an SSI than a BioWare thing, Shattered Lands still felt closer for me to Baldur's Gate than traditional Gold Box titles. The flow of the overall progression was spot-on, and there were various elements that seemed like prescursors to Baldur's Gate: inventory dragging 'n' dropping, dialogue trees for conversations, world item interactions rather than (sometimes) illustrated CYOA, multiple hub areas, right-click tooltips, instant level ups, status effect indicators, extra lore for magical items (via the desert merchants), no weight for gold, dynamic cursors and more visuals for combat targeting, etc.

Plus, there was the whole D&D backbone, and a fully controllable party, so I associate the game more with the BioWare "successors" rather than Fallout or other contemporaries.

P.S. Good luck with Fallen Gods!

Last edited:

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Pretty much every innovation you mention existed in Ultima games up to 3 years ahead of Dark Sun. The key innovation for DS was seamless transition from exploration to TB combat in the same view.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Pretty much every innovation you mention existed in Ultima games up to 3 years ahead of Dark Sun.

Not true dialogue trees, though, at least not as we understand them today. Ultima 7 just had keyword lists and that only came out the year before DS:SL.

ultima7-6.jpg

versus

981671686-00.gif

This is as far back as my genre knowledge goes, but they took this from adventure games like Monkey Island, right?

Skall

Learned
Pretty much every innovation you mention existed in Ultima games up to 3 years ahead of Dark Sun. The key innovation for DS was seamless transition from exploration to TB combat in the same view.

I was specifically referring to what SSI games were doing beforehand, and what BioWare did when they got the D&D license.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The first game I know of that had dialogue trees was Lucas Arts' Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade from 1989. Earlier adventure games, both by LA and by Sierra, didn't have dialogue trees, and RPGs didn't have them at that point either.

So that might be the origin of this feature.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Pretty much every innovation you mention existed in Ultima games up to 3 years ahead of Dark Sun.

Not true dialogue trees, though, at least not as we understand them today. Ultima 7 just had keyword lists and that only came out the year before DS:SL.

This is as far back as my genre knowledge goes, but they took this from adventure games like Monkey Island, right?

I rather disliked the keyword method in U7 myself, especially since I played Ultima Underworld first where branching dialog was used to learn the Lizardman language.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom