Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Say one GOOD thing about a SHIT game

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Depends on the person, some people were way too into the Mass Effect series. The main issue with it was that it just felt so safe and boring, which wasn't what fans wanted.

Dumbfuck
All modern Bethesda games are built in an extremely modular way that lets you remove all the bullshit through mods. The successful implementation of this design philosophy is twice as surprising, given that the people who programmed it are the retards who did the rest of the engine too.

Aleshar: World of Ice has really cool art.

Delterius

Arcane
spell combos and thinking that they looked like they ripped them almost whole-cloth from WoW
wut
Probably too strong a statement considering how little of the game I played, but wasn't one of the prominent combos a cold-based "shatter" combo?
A spell combo in DA:O is using fire magic with Grease to light the floor, or mixing sigils of paralization and repulsion to create an explosion of paralysis. Shit like that. WoW has one specialization that gives enemies a damage malus against one of its spells. You might as well claim that the spell combo system is the oldest thing ever since Hold Person and Web gives enemies an AC malus.

Geckabor

Savant
If I recall correctly, Baldur's Gate had some NPCs that would give you a a chain of dialogue options, and if you answered all of them properly/correctly you would get some sort of reward, and you only had one try to do so. Of course, you can save-scum these things but I still think this is kind of a neat feature that gets underused.

Dumbfuck
If I recall correctly, Baldur's Gate had some NPCs that would give you a a chain of dialogue options, and if you answered all of them properly/correctly you would get some sort of reward, and you only had one try to do so. Of course, you can save-scum these things but I still think this is kind of a neat feature that gets underused.

Mechanics like that were amazing before the internet was in everyone's house. Nowadays anytime a game does stuff like this people will actually recommend reading a FAQ beforehand so you don't miss stuff.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath

Mechanics like that were amazing before the internet was in everyone's house. Nowadays anytime a game does stuff like this people will actually recommend reading a FAQ beforehand so you don't miss stuff.

some of us still play games blindly and accept the consequences, you know.

PorkBarrellGuy

Missables that rely on either sheer dumb luck or metaknowledge in advance are not particularly good game design. Rewarding attentive players with good intuition and a functioning brain is incline, however.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck

Missables that rely on either sheer dumb luck or metaknowledge in advance are not particularly good game design. Rewarding attentive players with good intuition and a functioning brain is incline, however.

It's ok if you know there's something in here for you, but you just didn't manage.

Not telegraphing anything to the player until he stumbles over some reward on his 5th playthrough really is bad design.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Still I think the benefits of playing blind outweight the disadvantages, at least for me, and presenting such hidden options and rewards is a good thing if adequately implemented. Of course if the choices begin feeling pretty random, and this randomness feels like it'll seriously hamper my progress in the game, I'll just go read a walkthrough.

Dumbfuck
I almost always go in blind, and only read a FAQ if I can't get anywhere in the limited time I have to play.

Sometimes you have a choice of either doubling the playtime of a game or reading a FAQ. I think in those situations it's probably a good idea to just do it.

But stuff like Dark Souls, ELEX, KC:D do not need 400 "Before You Play" videos published on YouTube that ruin the mechanical discovery.

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
Of all the things wrong Bioware did with ME3, the original ending wasn't really bad, certainly not worth all the whining that ensued.
Horseshit.

You can save the Geth, only to kill the Geth and EDI. You can bastardize the entire universe into a bunch of synthetics, homogenizing the entire Galaxy. Or you can be the grand puppet master, which we already know won't work forever.

Each choice is fucking garbage. Perhaps the whining was overdone, but it was legitimate. If you can't see that, one of your stats has been depleted.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Of all the things wrong Bioware did with ME3, the original ending wasn't really bad, certainly not worth all the whining that ensued.
Horseshit.

You can save the Geth, only to kill the Geth and EDI. You can bastardize the entire universe into a bunch of synthetics, homogenizing the entire Galaxy. Or you can be the grand puppet master, which we already know won't work forever.

Each choice is fucking garbage. Perhaps the whining was overdone, but it was legitimate. If you can't see that, one of your stats has been depleted.
Who would want to same a bunch of toasters? Only ending was the red one! Anyway the whole game was shit and the colours at the end were especially shit.

Ninjerk

Arcane
spell combos and thinking that they looked like they ripped them almost whole-cloth from WoW
wut
Probably too strong a statement considering how little of the game I played, but wasn't one of the prominent combos a cold-based "shatter" combo?
A spell combo in DA:O is using fire magic with Grease to light the floor, or mixing sigils of paralization and repulsion to create an explosion of paralysis. Shit like that. WoW has one specialization that gives enemies a damage malus against one of its spells. You might as well claim that the spell combo system is the oldest thing ever since Hold Person and Web gives enemies an AC malus.
Fair enough, I wasn't terribly invested in the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom