Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Name a RPG and I will play it. (within reason)

Malketh

Barely Literate
I've been trying to figure out what I want to play and there are a lot of great games out there, but I'm not sure what I want to play. I won't play a notoriously bad game, and I'll play a game with graphics equal to or greater than those of Neverwinter Nights (2002), MUDs are an exception; I will agree to play a MUD with interesting mechanics. Other valid suggestions include campaign modules for games like Neverwinter Nights 1 or 2, and SNES/PSX/PS2/GBA/NDS RPGs.

Last edited:

Darkzone

Arcane
I've been trying to figure out what I want to play and there are a lot of great games out there, but I'm not sure what I want to play. I won't play a notoriously bad game, and I'll play a game with graphics equal to or greater than those of Neverwinter Nights (2002), MUDs are an exception; I will agree to play a MUD with interesting mechanics. Other valid suggestions include campaign modules for games like Neverwinter Nights 1 or 2, and SNES/PSX/PS2/GBA/NDS RPGs.
If graphics is your concern then you should play games like Kingdom Come Deliverance and Witcher 3. If you like Turn Based games and you will give a shit about graphics then Fallout 1 and 2 is a must. If you like Turn Based with Graphics then Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2 are games to try. If you like real time with pause, but you are willing to lower your graphics desire then Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 is a game for you. There is also the Knights of the old Republic 1 and 2 with the Star Wars setting. Gothic 1 and 2 are also classics in real time rpg department.
There are many RPGs and what you have written is quite underspecification to give you "the answer". So specify it better and you will get the answer that you are looking for.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Neverwinter Nights truly had the worst graphics of any RPG. Even RPGs that came out a decade before looked better. Go for a classic like Realms of Arkania: Star Trail or Dark Sun: Shattered Lands.

Dumbfuck
Achaea is a MUD that has very good social features (almost everything of importance in the world is staffed by real players) and has the best combat mechanics ever in a MUD imo. If you haven't played it, it's free and has a decent in browser client so you won't have to spend six months fucking about with Mudlet.

Malketh

Barely Literate
What RPGs have you liked in the past?

Baldur's Gate, Ice Wind Dale, Final Fantasy Series, Chrono Trigger, Knights of the Old Republic 1&2, Neverwinter Nights 1&2, Morrowind, Oblivion, Earthbound, I WANTED to like Pillars of Eternity but it just didn't hook me. Oh, And I'm currently playing Divinity 2: Original Sin but I'm playing through with a friend and we play a couple nights a week for a few hours, I really like that too.

This is a pretty big restriction if you want to explore the RPG genre.

I thought putting the bar at the 2002 Neverwinter Nights release would have it pretty low, I think the sprite based system in Baldur's gate and IWD look better than NWN. Fallout 1 & 2 are also acceptable to me.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
I thought putting the bar at the 2002 Neverwinter Nights release would have it pretty low, I think the sprite based system in Baldur's gate and IWD look better than NWN. Fallout 1 & 2 are also acceptable to me.
A lot of good RPGs are CGA/EGA and most of rest are VGA. Genre soared, declined, inclined and declined again before 2002.
Considering that you already played, try Daggerfall, both Fallouts and Arcanum. Something should interest you.

Andhaira

Arcane

Blackguards I

Modron

Arcane
2002-2003 was basically the beginning of the decline long stretches of time without decent rpgs at that point to this day. Some decent stuff after that point, Drakensang the River of Time, Hammer and Sickle, Silent Storm (not really a complete rpg but worth a play), Prince of Qin (might not fit your graphic whoreism but is basically a divine divinity styled hack and slash), GoT rpg, Witcher 1/2 and maybe 3, Divinity 2 is okay minus some shitty dragon sequences, might give Alpha Protocol a shot and see if you can stomach it, no mention of Fallout New Vegas rectify that, Risen 1 is worth a play, and all of Troika's games: Arcanum, Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, and Temple of Elemental Evil should be tried.

More modern stuff, Dragon's Dogma can be fun but it wears out its welcome eventually, Expeditions viking was my GotY last year and Blackguards was awesome (The sequel wasn't quite as good but is no where near as bad as people made it out to be). There are more but your graphics requirements kind of exclude stuff like Underrail, Age of Decadence, Fallout Resurrection and Nevada, Prelude to Darkness (if you can make it run eheh).

Edit: Gothic 3 + community patches has some decent exploration and Elex is basically another risen affair decent game but not quite up to the pedigree of Gothic 1/2.

Malketh

Barely Literate
2002-2003 was basically the beginning of the decline long stretches of time without decent rpgs at that point to this day.

Edit: Gothic 3 + community patches has some decent exploration and Elex is basically another risen affair decent game but not quite up to the pedigree of Gothic 1/2.

I started playing Gothic as per the first suggestion on this "Name an RPG and I will play it" thread. I generally know what games are good, its just picking one that gives me trouble.

And I agree, things have been dumbed down a lot in modern cRPGs. Recent-ish games that I liked have been Dragon Age: Origins and Divinity 2: Original sin. OH! And have you seen this? It looks really interesting https://owlcatgames.com/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom