Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Single-Player Computer Roleplaying Game and You: What's the Point?

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
There are many old arguments among RPG players that can quickly escalate into 50-page monstrosities, and the subject of min-maxing and munchkinism, especially when it comes to single-player computer RPGs, is certainly among them.

This particular thread is aimed toward establishing an informal argument against using cheese techniques and simply playing to "beat" a SP CRPG as opposed to experiencing it in what I believe to be its generally intended purpose: to simulate the original tabletop RPG experience (which means many things), or, at the very least, to enmesh the player into a gameworld designed to stimulate his intellect and imagination through reasonably challenging tactical situations and opportunities to immerse himself into a fantastic world without depriving it of necessary purpose.

It must be conceded off the bat that many, certainly a considerable percentage, of players of RPGs could not give any less of a shit about "balance" or "fairness" or even a significant challenge in their choice of single-player titles. Their goal is invariably to defeat the game, to overcome any challenges it does pose through sheer force, exploiting any weakness or deficiency in its design as ruthlessly as possible, for that is their purpose and the means by which they derive their pleasure; there is no sense in attempting to dissuade them from these practices and I will not begin to (specifically) attempt to do so, despite the intent of this thread in the first place. That percentage of players is an irresistible force.

However, there is nothing wrong with fortifying the position of the purist which, due to his faith on a fundamental level in the whole point of SP RPGs, can be an immovable object. But it is a position that often needs reinforcements in the face of the munchkin hordes.

So putting the methods and motivations of the min-maxer far aside, let's talk about what this side of the battlefield sees as the whole point of playing SP RPGs. In my opinion, it always goes back to being an imitation of what many of us never had the opportunity to experience enough of, or at all: the tabletop experience. That is to say, not necessarily the specifics of it such as the physical booklets and the dice and the figurines and so forth -- although those all bring back many fond memories -- but rather the spirit behind these things. A fair, moderated, cohesive and internally consistent escape to a fantasy world driven by some form of conflict and inherent motivations.

I put it to you: what is the point of wading into such a world if one is stacking the deck in favor of easy "victory"? Of course, one could argue that any effort put in to better one's character or his equipment or even the gaining of any metaknowledge of the gameworld and its milieu is tilting the favor towards conquest. But I counter by stating that the process of doing so, the sometimes rigorous and painstaking steps taken through exploration, combat, victory, even defeat, are the ingredients that go into what is supposed to be a delicious recipe. Take away the joy of "cooking", if you will, and you're left with what? Does the chef enjoy his prepared meals? He often may, but others' enjoyment of his efforts are what drive him and I postulate that each and every one of us, while playing a single-player RPG, are indeed our own chefs. Actually, we are the stewards of these recipes. Whomever designs the game is really its master, and I am of the firm belief that the intent of playing them in the first place is to preserve as best we can the flavors and textures intended. Spoiling the meal is all too easy.

It's an odd thing to juxtapose the position of the purist against that of his opposite. The two sides just don't understand one another. I suppose it comes down to how they originally were exposed to the roleplaying hobby and thus how their tastes were shaped. But I also think that it derives from within: there's got to be a certain personality trait that governs whether one decides to exercise what seems to be, from their perspective, justified and even righteous restraint for "taste's" sake when playing through a SP RPG, versus those who throw delicate palate balance to the wind for dominance' sake.

Is one right while the other is wrong? Again, this thread is not meant to debate that. But I still pose, at whatever chance I get, to the other side of the fence: if you are essentially playing against yourself, what's the whole point? Aren't you spoiling your own meal?

I conclude with another concession in that that this has been merely a reductionist argument and, in fact, has not been bolstered by enough specifics of the advantages of remaining a purist to be entirely convincing. Nevertheless, my motivation in attempting to in any case remains (TL;DR): it is a philosophical belief, if anything, into the very nature of the pleasure derived from booting up a classic CRPG. I do so because I seek nourishment of my fantasy appetite. I want to set the table, I want to sit down with my napkin and my fork and knife, and I want to enjoy a pleasant meal, properly. And I take my time in doing so; those who indulge in oversalting, overspicing, and gorging using their fingers are, in my estimation, missing the entire point.

Thank you, gentlemen, and bon appétit.

Gregz

Arcane
I don't disagree with the spirit of your post, but there are times when cheats really do save a game. I.e. some games are broken by design, and need 'fixing' via cheats.

I'm thinking of Mount & Blade in particular. If it wasn't for the teleport 'cheat' of being able to move one's army around the map I don't think I would have bothered to continue playing it, and I would have missed out of one of the best gaming experiences of my life. That is, it had to be tailored to this individual's requirements in order to be great.

There are no computer bugs in the tabletop environment, and a good DM will adjust the parameters of play to maximize the enjoyment of the group. Computer games cannot adjust to the player's needs. Sometimes cheats can be used to add value to a game, just as mods can improve a game beyond the scope of what the designer envisioned.

Last edited:

PorkBarrellGuy

I think we wouldn't have to worry so much about people obsessed with "beating" the game and possibly resorting to munchkinism/powergaming shit to do it if devs would consider taking one very simple yet very drastic step: make failstates almost as interesting as wins. Instead of a "GAME OBER LOL" screen or a "Load last save?", wrap shit up in a tidy little bow and say "Well, your character ate shit, and this is what happened to the world afterwards." Hell, make it so that you can reroll into the failstate with a new character to try and salvage for a GOOD END, perhaps?

Mustawd

A.) It sounds like you paid some poor Indian or Chinese person to write that post. How much did it cost? They know English quite well.

B.) I agree with your main points, but aren't you just saying "min-maxers are weird"? RPGs encompass a lot of different things, and you seem to forget how they started in the first place. cRpgs and PnP variants. And that is a brutal combat-heavy dungeon crawl. Go back to some of the first versions of D&D and you consistently see the same things.

• A GM vs Players type of competition wherein the GM's job was to kill the party
  • Players reminiscing how almost none of their games ever got very far because the dungeon would kill them
  • And certain mechanics that just made it downright difficult to proceed (magic users for example were baby ducklings waiting to be killed in early levels; they were so damn weak)
This type of brutal kind of gameplay continued with games such as Wizardry, where one trap, one bad combat, one wrong move could wipe your party and all of its progress.

So naturally people needed to master the system and find every type of advantage they could. And they did. And they beat it. And it was a euphoric feeling to do so. So that playstyle, IMO, is perfectly valid, even if I don't necessarily share it.

C.) You are also forgetting that rpgs have evolved so much that a variety of playstyles have developed. You have the min-maxers. You have the story tards. You have the combat tards (me). You have the grognards. You have the romance idiots. And you have the overall casual players who just wanna play a good story with p. cool combat.

Some will argue that grognards/combat tards/min=maxers all are in the same category, but I'd disagree. For one, combat tards love good combat regardless of its origins and makeup as longs as its good. There is overlap with Min Maxers and Grognards, but only to the extent that min maxers like to experience their min maxed chars through combat. If there were other avenues to express their poor tortured min maxing hearts, they would.

And Grognards will only like something if it's truly old school and adheres to their Grognardian ethos for whatever system they're complaining about. If there is a game that appears grognardian, but then at the last minute changes something to make it more streamlined, the grognard will throw a fit. They will post on the dex. They will text their friends. They will email their family members. They will complain on facebook. They will write letters to the game devs. They yell at the screen until they turn a dark shade of red. They will kick their dogs if they get too close during these violent temper tantrums. And so on.

So in conclusion Crispy, different strokes for different folks. Be happy you're not a romance idiot with a weeb soul, playing Rance every hour of your free time, and fapping afterwards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
besttagever.gif

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Min-max is what I do in all aspects of life, not just gaming. If the game allows me to abuse the game that way, then it's the game and its designs fault, not mine.

There are plenty of ways to ensure that they player don't "spoil" or "abuse" the system, but most devs are too pussy to instate real consequences or remove some choices.

I won't always try to cheese or abuse the system, but obviously I will try to best all the challenges with all the tools avaliable to me. Experiencing the world and overcoming challenges put to you, isn't that what gaming is about?

I enjoy single player rpgs immensly for those qualities.

Mustawd

Min-max is what I do in all aspects of life, not just gaming.'

If true, soulless faggot.

No. Imagine what that means.

He probably tweaks his toaster for maximum heat to get a faster toast. He plans his showers in the morning to get the highest temp possible. Which means he spends hours recording water temps at different times of the morning to find the ideal temp. Done likely over months.

He also likely gets sperm counts measured to have maximum sperm counts during the month to fuck his gf. And so on.

Truly, autism worthy of being a codexer. :salute:

Except the gf part. REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

PorkBarrellGuy

This is a terrible way to run a PnP campaign most of the time IMO

I don't disagree, but Tomb of Horrors does have vocal fans.

I expect meatgrinders in Dark Heresy games, to some extent Call of Cthulhu stuff, and modules like Tomb but I generally don't think of sadistic GMs as particularly good GMs outside that scope. Of course, the opposite is nearly as bad unless your players are literally children.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Min-max is what I do in all aspects of life, not just gaming.'

If true, soulless faggot.

No. Imagine what that means.

He probably tweaks his toaster for maximum heat to get a faster toast. He plans his showers in the morning to get the highest temp possible. Which means he spends hours recording water temps at different times of the morning to find the ideal temp. Done likely over months.

He also likely gets sperm counts measured to have maximum sperm counts during the month to fuck his gf. And so on.

Truly, autism worthy of being a codexer. :salute:

Except the gf part. REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Not quite, but to some extent, yes. I brush my teeth in the shower, to maximize time. If I buy a new computer, I want the best parts for the absolute cheapest price, if I watch a tv serie, i want the best one of all the shit, the ones that worth investing the most time into.

I want the best of everything, why settle for less?

nikolokolus

Arcane
This is a terrible way to run a PnP campaign most of the time IMO

I don't disagree, but Tomb of Horrors does have vocal fans.
Firstly, it was made as a tournament module for Gen Con so the point was to see how far you could get before you got wiped out and got scored accordingly. Second to that Gary Gygax's roster of regular players were notoriously clever and he needed increasingly challenging dungeons and adventures to throw at them. It is a brutal dungeon but fair in its own way because the realization that you face imminent doom is telegraphed to the player at almost every turn. There's almost no point where the party can't just throw up their hands and say, "fuck this, let's get the hell out of here" and most of the traps can be overcome by very careful, methodical players.

Back in the day, the only people I know that played through the dungeon either did it as a one-shot with pre-gens, or used it as the capstone of a long campaign -- one final do or die test for their high level characters. I don't recall anyone ever getting all the way to Acererak the demi-lich.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It is a brutal dungeon but fair in its own way because the realization that you face imminent doom is telegraphed to the player at almost every turn.

Both Tim Cain and Josh Sawyer strongly disagree.

Mortmal

Arcane
Such long post for nothing Crispy , really you waste your time and should just focus on the new hobby your recently discovered handling girls and repurposing your computer shop hardware:

ethernet-cable-whip-weird-safe-word-404-1411436400Z.jpg

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
ah, the Crispy existential crisis thread. Expect to see a lot more of those in the future.

On topic: why do spergs choose RPG's, in particular the single player variant, to sperg out? Obviously there's something attractive about them, and it's probably not just that defeating an imaginary dragon in imaginary single combat is a more efficient ego masturbation than defeating an imaginary empire in an imaginary war.

Face it, all you spergs are emotionally attracted to the big themes, the "pretty" art, the soothing music and green open landscapes of ye olde RPG. Conquering that world using spreadsheets and hacking into game files is just the bespectacled knight's battle tactic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom