Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware System Shock 3 by OtherSide Entertainment - taken over by Tencent!

ciox

Liturgist
Puzzles being subject to difficulty settings is a long past 90s thing anyway, I doubt it's on the table.
I think sliders for some gameplay parameters would be cool, for a custom difficulty that is kept far away from the preset difficulties.

Ash

Arcane
But that's missing the point. The whole appeal of RPGs, and immersive sims in particular, is their ability to accommodate for different playstyles. Granular difficulty sliders just take this approach a bit further.

...it's not the whole appeal, but rather part of it. And it's only about accommodating player choice and freedom within the context of the design vision, otherwise all/more RPGs and Immersive Sims would have stupid System Shock 1-style sliders where you can set all difficulty to 0 and walk around the ship with all doors unlocked, all audio logs removed, puzzles already solved, and all enemies never attack and die in one hit for maximum inclusiveness, all if which clashes with the real experience/design vision and turns it into a meaningless walking sim.

:incloosive:

Ash

Arcane
Ain't even a "cheat", implied to be a bad thing by name and hidden away out of sight, and possibly coming with consequences for use as in some games. It's a legitimised way to play in shock 1 by being on the new game screen.
I'll give it credit for being what many modern games should be though: somewhat hardcore in nature, but catering to the less...devout gamer with these sliders, though they should have maybe had a GUI and controls slider too
rating_lulz.gif

But that wouldn't be optimal selling out and casual-catering, so it wouldn't be good enough for most of these slimebag developers and corporations.

V_K

Arcane
Puzzles being subject to difficulty settings is a long past 90s thing anyway, I doubt it's on the table.
I would be extremely happy if non-braindead puzzles are on the table at all.
Although, who am I kidding, there's a 90% chance I won't be playing this anyway. Only got time for bite-sized games these days :negative:

Ash

Arcane
Only got time for bite-sized games these days :negative:

I really don't get that mentality, I think it is flawed.

Between work, gym, social events and the weird desire to rant about vidja on the internet way too much I haven't played a game in nearly a week, but the game I am currently playing is Castlevania: OoE, an ARPG where average playtime is probably 25 hours. That's fine, I'll boot it up soon and play for another few hours, so if I keep this up I'll be slowly taking it on a few hours a week. So? Is your attention span and memory that bad that you can't play bigger games this same way?

Hiding cheats always struck me as counter-intuitive.

Cheats existing (without consequences for use) has always struck me as counter-intuitive.
Cheating is bad m'kay. For many of the same reasons listed above that apply to super customisable difficulty. Though they do provide value, there should be consequences for their use to prevent conflict with the actual design vision.

Last edited:

V_K

Arcane
Is your attention span and memory that bad that you can't play bigger games this same way?
Yes.
Plus I'm prone to bingeing, if I start playing and don't have time, the urge to know "what happens next" will start interfering with my ability to work.
Between work, gym, social events and the weird desire to rant about vidja on the internet way too much I haven't played a game in nearly a week
Lol, I barely play one game in a month or two these days. Nioh was the last one where I plowed 30+ hours into it before taking a break.
Rofl. I played exactly 4 small games over the past year.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Job posting for Lead Environment/ Level Artist: https://otherside-e.com/wp/jobs/

Lead Environment/ Level Artist
Austin, TX

The OtherSide Entertainment Austin studio is looking for a Lead Environment/ Level Artist to join our team working on System Shock 3 in Austin, Texas. The ideal candidate will know how to create new assets as well as integrating them into a cohesive look that supports gameplay needs. The Lead Environment Artist will report to and work closely with the Art Director to build environmental assets in Maya and implement them into the level using the game engine. The Lead Environment Artist may also be called upon to troubleshoot levels alongside Game Designers, optimize game performance and work with other members of the team to improve the overall quality of the product as well as mentoring other team members.

And yhass, as you expected:

• Experience working with various game engines, especially Unity 3D.

Zer0wing

Cipher
After the collapse of the System Shock reboot, I'm fine with Unity. This one might actually get released.
Well, it's quite obvious it's going to get released, after all, there's a publisher and investor standing behind Otherside and SS3. Starbreeze investing 12 millions dollars, anyone? While there are more than one cases of kickstarter scamming.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I dont get the hatred towards Unity, seen plenty of Unreal 4 games that had awful optimization too.

Viata

Arcane
I dont get the hatred towards Unity, seen plenty of Unreal 4 games that had awful optimization too.
Shit devs using kinda bad engine. Even if same devs used the best Engine out there, it would still have awful optimization. But hey, it's easier to blame the engine than the dev, since some people here loves to suck some developer's cock.

agris

Arcane
Patron
you can't melt a video card that's properly cooled, all you can do is make it run at its maximum TDP. If any game, anywhere, *melts* a card, the problem is either between the user and the GPU's manufacturer, or the user and the writer of the GPU's driver. A properly engineered GPU should be able to run at 100% for 24+ hours without any problems. It is literally impossible to run a card beyond 100% of its capabilities, overclocking excluded. PC games are a great gift to those that are technically inclined, but a huge burden for those that aren't. A lot of complaints about performance and computer shutdowns/restarts are because games are being played on systems that are either inadequate or incorrectly configured .

Morkar Left

Wow, that actually sounds a lot like System Shock mixed with some zombie survival. Is probably missing a good game save system according on first reviews. Maybe that will change because it is EA or will be already chnaged. Visuals look great. Will keep an eye on it.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The problem with Unity is that it makes it incredibly easy to make something resembling a game, hence an incredible amount of amateurish stuff can be found made in Unity.
Making something really good, that also performs and maintains well, is not nearly as easy with Unity.
Hence a lot of untalented hacks are able to write "knows Unity" on their CV, hence they get hired by even more clueless people (because Unity is just hyped) and end up working on projects where they can do their best - which is fairly bad.
Of course, a good developer can make something good with Unity, just as with every other engine out there.

The problem almost always lies with the developer, not the engine.

Ash

Arcane
It's still pretty early in development, so I can't say much about what the team officially has planned for SS3.

But, based on the thoughts at OtherSide and the general approach they've been taking, I think the game will lean closer towards "an exploration game" rather than a combat game. There's a lot of great and fun shooter games out there, and System Shock doesn't need to be another one of those...

SS3 confirmed for walking sim

:negative:

I figured Spector would go for something like this in his coming of age wisdom. Everything pointed to it. Perhaps he will surprise us and it will have amazing and highly enjoyable gameplay depth despite not relying on the old traditions of swinging of swords and shooting guns. I highly doubt it though.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom