Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
It makes you think. Why all the people on the portraits lack any scars? You would think that life of getting hammered on the head every battle,you would kind a have some scars. Only people with scars in the original are Hiravias and Zahua. And their scars are explained in the dialogue. I am not bitching here,just curious.
We don't know whether magical healing would involve the formation of scar tissue or not. I guess.

Maybe it also causes facial reconstruction and skin peeling :avatard:
What would be the point of magic otherwise? Especially about skin peeling.
That will mean that most people can change their looks,or even more. If this was the magic then everyone will be a gorgeous and fabulous. And it doesn't explain the scars. How can a party of bunch of warriors will get healed if one of them manage to kill the enemy? What if the party doesn't have a healer or wizard?

In a world like that we could expect people to let others bash them in the face with a warhammer so the healer can give them a complete makeover. Classic worldbuilding right there, someone should tell Josh about that idea.

Bonerbill

Augur
sorry you like to stare at ugly people for 100+ hours

None of them are ugly! Apart from the bad art itself that is. They just need another pass to look more professional and not deformed if not looked at from this specific angle. Them not looking like photoshopped perfect Victoria's Secret models doesn't mean they are ugly, I don't know where you people live with constant 10/10s vying for your attention to think that.

That's not "they are not 10/10". The last 2 look scary/disgusting.
The same 2 from the Anon's gallery just look cute. You are talking like he transformed them into sex bombs. WTF is going on, have all pretty women been disposed of over there?

So, feminization is bad, and defeminization isn't? Because?

No, they don't. Just accept that you're a faggot.

Codex Year of the Donut

None of them are ugly! Apart from the bad art itself that is. They just need another pass to look more professional and not deformed if not looked at from this specific angle. Them not looking like photoshopped perfect Victoria's Secret models doesn't mean they are ugly, I don't know where you people live with constant 10/10s vying for your attention to think that.

The same 2 from the Anon's gallery just look cute. You are talking like he transformed them into sex bombs. WTF is going on, have all pretty women been disposed of over there?

yes they do
they look horrifying

Brancaleone

Liturgist
It makes you think. Why all the people on the portraits lack any scars? You would think that life of getting hammered on the head every battle,you would kind a have some scars. Only people with scars in the original are Hiravias and Zahua. And their scars are explained in the dialogue. I am not bitching here,just curious.
We don't know whether magical healing would involve the formation of scar tissue or not. I guess.

Maybe it also causes facial reconstruction and skin peeling :avatard:
What would be the point of magic otherwise? Especially about skin peeling.
That will mean that most people can change their looks,or even more. If this was the magic then everyone will be a gorgeous and fabulous. And it doesn't explain the scars. How can a party of bunch of warriors will get healed if one of them manage to kill the enemy? What if the party doesn't have a healer or wizard?
It was, ahem, a joke.

Bonerbill

Augur

yes they do
they look horrifying

Lets see your face, faggot.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I don't particularly care for the original deadfire portraits, but these are all customizable/replaceable, just like they were in POE.

If you like them, use them. If you don't, then change them.

Why do we need 5+ pages of posts on the subject? Can't we go back to bitching about combat speed, or whatever instead?

Ruzen

Savant
Just because they are customizable doesn't mean It gets a pass. Otherwise, the Oblivion or Skyrim gets a pass too. I find the portraits look good except Eder's.
265px-Eder-portrait.jpg

Portrait_eder_lg_PoE2.png

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I think the original Eder and Pallegina portraits are better than the 4chan one. The 4 chan's Aloth is better and the other two the 4chan ones are prettier, at least.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Why would anyone even bring back Eder for a sequel? That's like making Trask Ulgo a recurring party member.
latest

Great to see Obsidian carrying a torch for BioWare by giving so much attention to tutorial characters who overstayed their welcome.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Only one that's good from the originals compared to 4Chan is Eder. Aloth looks more like the original than the Deadfire version. Looks a bit like the artist was trying to match the portraits to the character models this time. The fugly Ydwin looks like the fugly character model.

Anyways, they had some real beauties in the PoE gallery. The pale elf, Calisca, fire godlike, and the heavy-armored chick were pretty nice.

Elf_female_PoE1_portrait_3_lg.png

Please tell me it's not the same artist making those fucked up portraits now.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Why would anyone even bring back Eder for a sequel? That's like making Trask Ulgo a recurring party member.
latest

Great to see Obsidian carrying a torch for BioWare by giving so much attention to tutorial characters who overstayed their welcome.

totally uninteresting non-descript, non-threatening looking Human with the most vanilla RPG class in history. Either the guy is supposed to be a self-insert for people who think their own PC isn't cool enough because it can't talk to them, or else he's a character that's important to someone on the team, possibly Josh.

It's also why I can't get over Tekehu. Two possibilities:

1) Someone on the team clearly has a thing for big, burly musicians. Kana was at least ugly, now they've fully come out of the closet and made that guy a teen idol.

2) The only option those SJW's in power at Obsidian saw for making a male character belonging to a race of huge, muscular, warlike humanoids was to turn him into a cheerful artist (and treehugger). Can't glorify the male penchant for violence, can't risk a shitstorm by purple haired snowflakes ranting about the "clichéd" huge male fighting character.

edit: the Minotaur guy from Dragon Age was different because you could get fucked by him. No hair pulling, name calling, spitting, slapping or hoof-to-the-face action though probably

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The 'improved' potrait is very wrongheaded. It neuters and flattens the character.

Pallegina is all about dualism: Duty Vs Heart, Lace Vs Steel, Passion Vs Stoicism, Human Vs Godlike. You know she is a person deeply and dramatically divided by an inner conflict because of the enormous blood-red slash that is sundering her unyielding breastplate in two. She wears her heart on her breast. It's the most prominent block of uniform color and demands your attention, saying 'hey this person has a streak of heart literally a mile wide. It divides them'. Maybe that's too subtle? This simple visual representation of a person conflicted is suppressed in the new portrait.

In the original her feathes are clearly demarcated from her natural hair - her humanity is distinct from her godlike divinity. Again, an uneasy truce, tense coexistence. In the new portrait, this is diluted. The feathers just bleed into the hair. Pallegina the human is at peace with Pallegina the Godlike. Boring.

Because the tone of her skin has been lightened the feminine lace of her shirt is harder to see, taking the energy out of its struggle to breathe free of the suffocating steel encasing it. She's no longer struggling to express a more caring, gentle side of herself.

Everything about the original portrait illustrates a tremndous pent up energy resulting from these layers of inner and outer conflicts. The half snarl she's wearing reinforces the impression that this character is sublect to raw emotional turbulence. She is the center of immovable objects meeting irresistible forces. That try as she might, she is unable to suppress her rich inner life because it bursts out of her collar, in brilliant feathers out of her eyes, in a huge slash across her body.

The new portrait sucessfully supresses Pallegina. Its as if the artist thought 'how can I take this powerfully conflicted person and pacify them?'. It sucks.

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/91743-portraits/page-23

Which one of you faggots wrote this garbage?

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
You know she is a person deeply and dramatically

stopped reading right there.

Or wanted to, but then

divided by an inner conflict because of the enormous blood-red slash that is sundering her unyielding breastplate in two. She wears her heart on her breast.

:nocountryforshitposters:

A set of huge black tits with an exposed heart would actually give her a lot of personality.

:kingcomrade:

It's the most prominent block of uniform color and demands your attention, saying 'hey this person has a streak of heart literally a mile wide. It divides them'. Maybe that's too subtle? This simple visual representation of a person conflicted is suppressed in the new portrait.

:hero:

People like that thinking their sensibilities are too subtle :lol:

I need to get off this gay Earth.

You know she is a person deeply and dramatically divided by an inner conflict because of the enormous blood-red slash that is sundering her unyielding breastplate in two.

I got something else she can use to divide her breast.... plate

If you know what I mean

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
You know she is a person deeply and dramatically

stopped reading right there.

Or wanted to, but then

divided by an inner conflict because of the enormous blood-red slash that is sundering her unyielding breastplate in two. She wears her heart on her breast.
:nocountryforshitposters:

A set of huge black tits with an exposed heart would actually give her a lot of personality.

:kingcomrade:

It's the most prominent block of uniform color and demands your attention, saying 'hey this person has a streak of heart literally a mile wide. It divides them'. Maybe that's too subtle? This simple visual representation of a person conflicted is suppressed in the new portrait.

:hero:

People like that thinking their sensibilities are too subtle :lol:

I need to get off this gay Earth.
I rolled my eyes as soon as I saw that tired "dualism" trite. It then gets worse. I legit felt like hurting this guy after reading it.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
As far as I know, yeah, nobody in Obs can play the game on PotD, and so that difficulty goes virtually untested, that was true in PoE as well. And even then, PotD in PoE wasn't even as difficult as SCS, which is the most lenient of BG's difficulty mods.

It's hardly fair to compare the base game to mods though.

Only if the argument being made was.. X game is shittier than Y base game because Z Mod made it better.
The point is perfectly valid in this scenario.

SCS is more challenging which means more fun than PoTD (So do what SCS did..) . Also I strongly agree with Lacrymas's earlier point.
Josh can literally do whatever the fuck he wants in POTD without risk hurting the normie's feelings.

Just sawyer-balance the game around Hard, Nerf down for normies and throw the farm at us in POTD.
Quit giving us blue balls.

iu

Even without taking into consideration the whole TB vs RT debate, if people find the combat in the IE games to be their worst aspect, which are the best? Writing definitely isn't and I wouldn't say it has a cornucopia of role-playing options.

Exploration is up there if people give a fuck. Also nostalgia in exploring the Forgotten Realms setting. The story is pretty good in BG2.. when your 14.

But yea.. Combat / Builds / Item & Power acquisition is kinda the point of those games.

Trashos

Arcane
Why would anyone even bring back Eder for a sequel?

totally uninteresting non-descript, non-threatening looking Human with the most vanilla RPG class in history. Either the guy is supposed to be a self-insert for people who think their own PC isn't cool enough because it can't talk to them, or else he's a character that's important to someone on the team, possibly Josh.

Two things. I saw Eder on a flyer with Pallegina. I assume that this duo can keep everyone interested. Also, Eder is now older, and is symbolizing "your racist uncle" (quoting Josh). So he probably has his place in the story.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Why would anyone even bring back Eder for a sequel?

Two things. I saw Eder on a flyer with Pallegina. I assume that this duo can keep everyone interested. Also, Eder is now older, and is symbolizing "your racist uncle" (quoting Josh). So he probably has his place in the story.

Ah, the racist uncle. A staple in every classic RPG.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Isn't this game taking place 2 years after the end of PoE? How does that make Eder, or anyone else, "older"? Pallegina was 25 in PoE1, yet she looks aged decades in her new portrait as well as looking like a completely different person.

Trashos

Arcane
I think it's supposed to be 10 years later?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom