Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Ion Fury (formerly Ion Maiden) - Build Engine powered FPS by Duke Nukem 3D mappers - now with Aftershock DLC

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
They're the same game. Doom 2 was a megawad with one extra gun and a few extra enemies. It was a OVERPRICED RESKIN WHY THE FUCK YOU BUY!?

Because the original Doom was mostly (if not completely) sold through mail order, meaning international buyers were getting screwed, while Doom 2 was sold at your local mortar-and-brick store, meaning everyone and their dog could get their hands on a copy.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
There were levels in Doom 2 that dropped you in pits where you died too IIRC.
Doom 2 doesn't have death pits. It has pits full of toxic waste or lava that you can fall into, 95% of the time they contain a radiation suit and an elevator/teleporter out of it. I can actually only think of one instance where you can't climb out of a lava pit and have to wait 20 seconds to die and that's in one of the levels in Inferno of Doom 1, there is a bridge that raises and splits a lava pit in two and only one side has a stairway out of it.
Once every 5 levels. Woah. Gamechanging.
Great quality post.
Same thing as just pressing E on a secret wall to open it, except it's something you shoot. Once more, style over substance.
Why aren't you playing Wolfenstein 3D and all of its expansions on repeat then? If all you care about is """""""""substance""""""""" and completely disregard anything that isn't just shooting enemies and mashing E on walls. Using resources or different weapons to open secret areas and having to platform to them is infinitely more interesting than pushwalls.
Not really a positive and not something that matters in gameplay most of the time.
?????????????????????? It's a major part of level design to incorporate areas where there is danger to falling. In TNT Evilution there is a mile drop in one of the maps and you take no damage and just have to walk into a teleporter. How does this not add gameplay depth when it requires you to platform carefully instead of just running over gaps til you miss?
The one valid point you have yet. It was somewhat cool during those times.
Strange that you would even acknowledge that considering you haven't played any of those games by the sound of it but ok.
Somewhat valid but it became primitive basically the second quake came out which made vertical movement far more interesting alone.
You're the one comparing BUILD games to Doom wads, retard. Nobody said anything about Quake and its fully 3D engine.
How about you stop being such a uppity bitch and go write some more 5000 character posts telling people why they are wrong on the subjective matter of not liking PUGs in a game with 50 players.
Not only is this completely unrelated, you seem to have thought using something completely unrelated to dodge the fact that you haven't played any of these games and are just mindlessly shitposting about things you don't know is going to work out for you. So what if I take pleasure in telling people they are mentally ill for thinking stopping 10 people from playing a game for 40 minutes every day after being in queue for 8 hours is suddenly going to fill up 24/7 public servers, it has absolutely nothing to do with this conversation.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Did anyone figure out how to make this game not run like shit yet? I don't know why it runs so poorly and has weird mouse input issues.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Did anyone figure out how to make this game not run like shit yet? I don't know why it runs so poorly and has weird mouse input issues.
From the Steam forums, one of the devs posted this:
Performance Tips!
Performance Tips:

* Make sure you're using the latest graphics drivers.
* Close background applications, particularly anti-virus, browsers, etc.
* Disable vsync
* Raise or remove the framerate cap
* For hitching: Disable Palette Emulation. Lower or Disable Anisotropy.
* For Nvidia users enable Multithreaded Optimizations in the NV Control Panel
* Please make sure that your CPU performance mode is set to its maximum.
* Due to texture and audio streaming, faster drives like SSDs can lead to better performance.
* If screen tearing is bothering you but vsync causes hitching, try enabling vsync in your graphics driver control panel while leaving vsync disabled in-game.
* If you are getting low framerates, try disabling the Steam Overlay for this game.

Classic video renderer issues:
* Enable Pixel doubling to raise framerates.
* Set your resolution to 720p and below if performance remains low.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I was already playing it at 1024x768 and tested 800x600 on muh CRT :badnews:

HansDampf

Arcane
Performance Tips!
Performance Tips:

* Make sure you're using the latest graphics drivers.
* Close background applications, particularly anti-virus, browsers, etc.
* Disable vsync
* Raise or remove the framerate cap
* For hitching: Disable Palette Emulation. Lower or Disable Anisotropy.
* For Nvidia users enable Multithreaded Optimizations in the NV Control Panel
* Please make sure that your CPU performance mode is set to its maximum.
* Due to texture and audio streaming, faster drives like SSDs can lead to better performance.
* If screen tearing is bothering you but vsync causes hitching, try enabling vsync in your graphics driver control panel while leaving vsync disabled in-game.
* If you are getting low framerates, try disabling the Steam Overlay for this game.

Classic video renderer issues:
* Enable Pixel doubling to raise framerates.
* Set your resolution to 720p and below if performance remains low.
:hmmm:
Boy, I hope I won't need a new GPU for this game. They are quite expensive these days.

Moonrise

The Magnificent
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Can you load an Ion Maiden map in Duke? The answer is kind of. Conversion of Ion Maiden's palette to the DAT format throws an error, to the point that eduke32 won't even run. Neat anyway. You may ask: can you load Duke maps in Ion Maiden? Mmm... yes, but the game won't run if you try to replace its ART file with the Duke ART file. So all you get is abyss! Maybe someone who knows more about this stuff than I do can chime in.

JcQjrVS.png

Moonrise

The Magnificent
Patron
You may wonder, is it possible to make custom maps with only the preview? Yes, yes it is.

i9o4roo.png

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Would it also be possible to make custom maps where you can actually use the minigun you get at the very end of the preview campaign?

Moonrise

The Magnificent
Patron
Placing the chain gun in a map allows you to collect it, but not use it--throws an apology on the screen. I'm not sure how to get around that.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Why, because of the heavy dude guys?

Yes, and because of the way they were placed around each level - in surprise buttsex monster closets and far-placed vantage points, where they could shoot you from across the entire map with pinpoint precision.

I replayed Doom 2 fairly recently and was actually surprised to note that it was kind of shit, with this being one of the major reasons.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Why, because of the heavy dude guys?

Yes, and because of the way they were placed around each level - in surprise buttsex monster closets and far-placed vantage points, where they could shoot you from across the entire map with pinpoint precision.

I replayed Doom 2 fairly recently and was actually surprised to note that it was kind of shit, with this being one of the major reasons.

I never had that much of a problem with them back in the day because you need to be real close to them (or there needs to be lots of them) for the damage to be of real concern. They're still a problem though, and this is never more apparent than in the Brutal Doom mod. Their damage has falloff the further away they are from you - but only on the horizontal plane. On the vertical plane you could be at the top of the deepest possible pit with the Chaingunner at the bottom, and if the Chaingunner is directly beneath you he will tear you apart because the game engine doesn't acknowledge the distance.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
All cool that they are making an 'old skool' game...... but why they won't build a new engine and make todays Duke Nukem that would blow everyone socks off just like the original FPSes did graphicaly back in the 90's......
As much as the 90's FPSes were about fast paced shooting on well designed maps, they WERE benchmarks for PCs pushing the graphics (Crysis is the last one to realy push the hardware)

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
and to call something that didn't evolve essentially in the slightest compared to the 20 year old games

Shooters have only gotten worse and worse in those 20 years of "evolution". Frankly, you can take that shit up your ass.
Get fucked. I understand liking 'pure' gameplay but to say that the entire genre of tactical FPS is bad is the most brainlet thing I have read all day.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Huh, I don't remember this at all and I raged over Blood's overuse of incredibly fast hitscan opponents. :M

schru

Arcane
I don't think Doom II has too many heavy weapon dudes given how they're placed in the maps – their placement is deliberate and the spots are designed around those encounters. That being said, it is different from the first game and definitely not as well paced. The brown colour palette – which Id apparently used to save memory, if I recall correctly – doesn't help to make the game feel lively either.

Doom II's levels are just more reliant on various unexpected variations on the original formula, like various traps, large open areas, teleporting, or rudimentary platforming, and abstract design in general. All those things make the pacing pretty slow and the game feels a little tedious for it.

All this is not to say it's bad, as it has good new monsters and tends to pit more of them against the player at once. But it feels like a specific variation on the original game, rather than a new thing of its own.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
One reason I like Brutal Doom is because it turns all weapons into projectile weapons, which both affects your enemies and yourself.

That's also something I like about the Arcane Dimensions map pack for Quake, it turns the shotguns into projectile weapons so there isn't a single hitscan weapon left.

Makes combat so much more interesting when you have to lead every shot.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
and to call something that didn't evolve essentially in the slightest compared to the 20 year old games

Shooters have only gotten worse and worse in those 20 years of "evolution". Frankly, you can take that shit up your ass.
Get fucked. I understand liking 'pure' gameplay but to say that the entire genre of tactical FPS is bad is the most brainlet thing I have read all day.

Nobody said anything about "tactical" FPS (whatever the fuck that means. What, Arma? ). Nice strawman there bro.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom