Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for Wii U and Switch

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron
thousand dollars? wat?
Do not underestimate the price elasticity of a nintendo fanboy.

They are about to buy 60 dollar cardboard after all.

1. I don't think Labo is that overpriced
2. I see what you're doing

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Breath of the Wild doesn't even count as an exclusive launch title because it's on the Wii U as well.

Stendahl

Barely Literate
It's a good game but with deep flaws. I'd give it a 3 or 4/5. I don't understand why they needed to add so much irrelevant crap in it. I don't understand why they couldn't make 12-16 dense dungeons instead of 120 mini dungeons. Why does the game get easier as it goes on? A good action game should get harder with every hour that passes. What's the point of the weapon degradation when I can find tons of weapons lying around anyway? And it's 2018 but the combat is still as shallow as ever, its only saving grace being some cool physics interactions, lynels, and its bow shooting. Next time, they should add in more tough lynel style enemies and condense the world significantly.

Best way to play it is to make a beeline for towers and unique towns, do the lost woods once you have enough health, and head straight to the last boss. Doing all 120 dungeons and all the useless little tasks is asking for boredom. The dragons are cool too if you have the patience for them.

Still way better than the other 3D Zeldas though. Will never understand why people like these braindead easy little puzzle/action games.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
It's a good game but with deep flaws. I'd give it a 3 or 4/5. I don't understand why they needed to add so much irrelevant crap in it. I don't understand why they couldn't make 12-16 dense dungeons instead of 120 mini dungeons. Why does the game get easier as it goes on? A good action game should get harder with every hour that passes. What's the point of the weapon degradation when I can find tons of weapons lying around anyway? And it's 2018 but the combat is still as shallow as ever, its only saving grace being some cool physics interactions, lynels, and its bow shooting. Next time, they should add in more tough lynel style enemies and condense the world significantly.

Best way to play it is to make a beeline for towers and unique towns, do the lost woods once you have enough health, and head straight to the last boss. Doing all 120 dungeons and all the useless little tasks is asking for boredom. The dragons are cool too if you have the patience for them.

Still way better than the other 3D Zeldas though. Will never understand why people like these braindead easy little puzzle/action games.
You're-not enjoying-it-the-right-way™

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Well, look man, the Switch has several games worth playing. Splatoon is kicking ass(in Japan), Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is still among the most played, Mario Odyssey was embraced by fans(who like marios like this) and Zelda will probably make a mark on video games for a long time.
Mario kart is a port of a wiiu game, same for zelda arguably and odessey is decline from the galaxy games.

This does not necessarily mean switch doesn't have the best lineup anyway.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Will never understand why people like these braindead easy little puzzle/action games.
Might be because they are simply fun?
Not everybody gets their sense of accomplishment in life from gittin' gud in games. Hard to believe, especially on Codex, but some people just want something to take their mind off work related stuff or to toy around with.
So Zelda games might not be hard but they often have a lot of nice tools and mechanics so gameplay doesn't get boring too fast. Breath of the Wild takes that to an extreme, since it gets rid of that old Zelda formula where you can only progress by gaining the next tool in the box and then using it on the next dungeon which revolves around using that specific tool. Instead you get all the tools early on and then they throw you into that huge sandbox and let you do whatever the fuck you like.

On master mode this Zelda is still much harder than any of the other ones I played before (I can think of 3 atm).

Last edited:

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
I don't understand why they couldn't make 12-16 dense dungeons instead of 120 mini dungeons.

Also you

Parrots:

e9d.jpg

Kraszu

Prophet
It's a good game but with deep flaws. I'd give it a 3 or 4/5. I don't understand why they needed to add so much irrelevant crap in it. I don't understand why they couldn't make 12-16 dense dungeons instead of 120 mini dungeons.

Because finding them is big part of the game. They could make few big dungeon, and maybe make you search for clues where it is, and items that you need to get to them, that could be better.

Why does the game get easier as it goes on? A good action game should get harder with every hour that passes.

I disagree. I prefer to get powerful as time goes by, and you can't feel more powerful when everything scales faster then you get stronger.

What's the point of the weapon degradation when I can find tons of weapons lying around anyway? And it's 2018 but the combat is still as shallow as ever, its only saving grace being some cool physics interactions, lynels, and its bow shooting. Next time, they should add in more tough lynel style enemies and condense the world significantly.

Yeah the small variety in enemies is the biggest flaw of the game.

I like to explore, and find things in the gameworld, and that is what this is really good at. It gives just enough clues to not make it a based on random luck, but you still need to do some planning, it isn't very complicated but it makes me feel more immersed.

Puzzles are easy, but again I find it fun, and relaxing. Also they stop me from zooming out, and getting bored, they increase engagement that I feel when playing it, they make me pay more attention to game surroundings, and they are nice change of pace.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Got into it now also, with all the patches and DLCs, am in 3rd zone going to the first beast, the weapon braking mechanic is gud, and anyone who says otherwise knows nothing about game design, it's like this on purpose because every mob drops a weapon, so there is constant weapon swap, otherwise you would be running around with 1000000000 weapons.
Just hold a better weapon for a fight with boss and use trash weapons on trash mobs.
The world is done nice, however the parts where there is no story involved are clearly just open space without anything, but some puzzle and hidden things are done 1000% better than in other games like withcer 3 or skyrim.
So yea, after New Vegas it's probably another open world game I can stomach (it's less focused on story and more on gameplay, and gameplay is very good, it beats the combat in witcher 3 by 1000%)
And thank god there is no rolling in this game.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
The weapon breaking is good because it means you can't just get one amazing weapon and make the rest a cakewalk, at most it will give you a temporary boost or something you can use to take down a powerful enemy with. It also means that finding weaker weapons is still worthwhile, since you'll want to use those on weaker trash enemies and save the powerful stuff for bosses/tough battles.

I think it falls apart towards the late game though as you'll be swimming in powerful loot, and even with an expanded inventory you'll be throwing away a ton of great weapons because you found something slightly better. The resource management aspect of it stops being an issue.

The early game is most fun because you have limited space, your weapons will break faster and you'll die easier, so you need to be more creative in fights, like knocking down enemies to take their weapons, and using your powers instead of fighting directly. Unfortunately the game gets less fun the further you get.

Rolo

Literate
I have never been a fan of this argument. If swapping and using different weapon styles is so fantastic, odds are users are going to do it on their own volition. If not, if you do know it gets in the way and still force it on players, you are a piece of shit.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I have never been a fan of this argument. If swapping and using different weapon styles is so fantastic, odds are users are going to do it on their own volition. If not, if you do know it gets in the way and still force it on players, you are a piece of shit.

No, users use only the best weapon, but this is an action game not an rpg.

There is nothing 'fantastic' about either of two, it's just a design choice which they took and it works for this type of game better than if weapons did not brake, because you would only use 1 weapon all the time

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Pleasantly surprised, thought the beast will be only a boss battle, but it was a puzzle first, than a whole area of puzzling and boss battle at the end.

So I am playing this on CEMU, and holy shit, the gaming websites weren't lying for once, this is a heck of a game.

It's almost a shame that due to it being available only on Switch/Wii U, most PC RPG fans will probably not pay much attention, but this is probably the most fun RPG released in the last 10 years.

Yes, RPG. I know it won't fit many Codexers' definition of what an RPG is, but it's a game that has a combination of exploration, combat and story/dialogue, and has (simplistic but still) character development (health/stamina increase, armor, better weapons, more tools, etc). For me that's enough to count it as an RPG.

And everything is really well done. Exploration is amazing, combat is fun and has depth, story is kinda goofy at first, but at least it's charming and keeps things simple, which already puts it ahead of all of the horribly written "heavy" RPGs as of late (e.g. PoE, DA:O, D:OS). World interactivity is outstanding, graphics are beautiful, there is a shitload of stuff to do, the game is huge.

If anything, I see this game continuing the tradition of Ultima VII: TBG and Gothic. It has the same "alive" world, NPCs all have individual names (no filler cutouts here), custom dialogue, advanced scripts (day/night cycle, run from the rain, etc), you can interact with the world in so many different ways, and everything in the gameworld seems relevant and connected.

After open-world games like Skyrim, Fallout 3/4, GTA V, Far Cry 3-5, which are just shallow pointless wastes of time, BotW returns to what made open-world games fun in the past, and expands on it, brings it to modern technology, and polishes the rough edges.

I don't know if people realize this, but if you use shield parrying in combat, it's pretty much the Dark Souls combat system. The parry window is extremely tight, and you have to learn your opponents attack patterns to nail it, but once mastered, works against every single attack, even spells and ranged weapons.

Also, last night I had to buy a woman's clothes and get into that all-female Forbidden City in drag. Surprised that alone didn't make this Codex's all time favorite game.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
This is the best game Codexers will never play because "hur console popamole dur".

I was really surprised aswell when I found out this is incline.

Perkel

Arcane
This is the best game Codexers will never play because "hur console popamole dur".
I was really surprised aswell when I found out this is incline.

Well it is not like Nintendo build their brand on shitty platformers and churning out games in their franchizes more than Ubisoft every year, which is the reason why people on codex generaly avoid nintendo.

As of BOTW, it is next on my playlist on CEMU. I don't expect much from it though. One thing i hate about open world RPGs is when they have empty world filled with bullshit timewasters instead of proper story, combat etc.

And from all sides BOTW looks like that to me sans combat that doesn't look that bad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom