Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Field of Glory II

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Came racing to the codex to post this. Fantastic news, Immortal Fire is the best expansion pack so I'm glad it's the first one. Hope they do one that covers Ancient China next, although I bet it'll be some stupid later-roman nonsense or medieval tin-man armies.

EDIT: Spotted this right at the bottom: "...new historically-based campaigns: Xenophon..." If we get a quality campaign based on Xenophon's Anabasis then buying this game and expansion is basically a religious duty.

Last edited:

Beowulf

Arcane
Well, so far the campaigns are pretty luckluster string of battles.
Other than that, the game is great for PBEM's.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
IMMORTAL FIRE RELEASE DATE
12/5/2017

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=477&t=80723

The rivers will run red again with the new expansion of Field of Glory II that we announced last week, Immortal Fire, that will brings you 8 new factions (Achaemenid Persians, Etruscans, Antigonos, Lysimachos, Spartans, Latins, Lydians, Kyrenean Greeks, Thessalian Greeks), 10 new units (including the fearsome Persian Immortals) and 30 new army lists!

Now, we can finally tell you when you will be able to expand your army: Immortal Fire will be released next Tuesday, December the 5th!
And if you want to see with your own eyes what this DLC will add to the game, come hang out with us today on our Twitch channel, 12 PM EST / 5 PM GMT / 6 PM CET!

Latro

Arcane
I believe I saw on steam that they tried to avoid having "unique" units that are essentially just whatever archetypal units they already have. That policy sounds pretty honest to me.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
What's everyone's FOG2/Slitherine username? Mine is "grumblefish". I am basically undefeatable.

Here I an smashing elite Romans with shirtless slaves online:

soundthrashing.jpg

hivemind

how do mp battles work

is it like play by email kind of long term stuff or more of a starcraft both connect at the same time and fight

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
how do mp battles work

is it like play by email kind of long term stuff or more of a starcraft both connect at the same time and fight

It's like play by email, but it's all self contained in the game itself so you never have to actually email turns back and forth. Very convenient, very easy to have multiple games going at once, most people take their turns frequently.

Basically, you either post a challenge or accept a challenge. Then, the game alerts you when your turn is ready. You take your turn and send your opponent an intimidating message, and then the game returns you to the main menu. It will alert you when you have another turn ready. You can have multiple games going at once.

Tigranes

Arcane
I've known about this subgenre for a while but never got around to it, this looks like a nice one to finally pick up and see how much details I remember from all my Plutarch and Robin Lane Fox all those years back. Anything crucial for the genre noob to know, and what's a nice scenario/campaign to start with?

Beowulf

Arcane
I've known about this subgenre for a while but never got around to it, this looks like a nice one to finally pick up and see how much details I remember from all my Plutarch and Robin Lane Fox all those years back. Anything crucial for the genre noob to know, and what's a nice scenario/campaign to start with?
This is mostly a MP game, the campaigns are pretty basic battle-to-battle type stuff.

But you could play the Punic Wars campaign for example, just to get the hang of the system.
This campaign also features most of the troop types, you'll encounter, so it might be of some use to someone not familiar with the period/genre.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
http://www.slitherine.com/news/2473...tunning.mod!.Are.you.ready.for.the.Silk.Road?

The Silk Road mod has been created by Jomni, the mastermind behind the gem Sengoku Jidai, and it wonderfully integrates China and some of its neighbours into the FoG2 universe!

Fight battles covering the Zhou Dynasty’s (1049 – 256 BC) early expansion against its non-Chinese neighbours. Take the role of the feudal dukes undermining the authority of the court and fight an all-out war for supremacy against each other during the Spring and Autumn Period (770 - 476 BC) and Warring States Period (475 - 221 BC). Lead the Qin state to achieve unification and the formation of the Qin Dynasty (221 - 207 BC). Pacify the wild frontiers in the Han-Xiongnu Wars (133 BC - 91 AD). Venture westward and relive the little-known conflict between the Han Dynasty (206 BC - 220 AD) and the Graeco-Bactrian city state of Ferghana (Dayuan) in the War of the Heavenly Horses (104 – 101 BC). Take the side of nomads and tribes in a war for superiority in the Mongolian steppes and Silk Road trading routes. And if the ruling dynasty has lost the Mandate of Heaven, bring them down with rebellions.

Battles do not have to be historical. What if Alexander’s armies marched into China instead? What if Rome got past the Parthians and set their ambitions further east?

More Chinese armies will be added as the timeline of the game is extended.

The mod can be played with the Immortal Fire DLC, but it is not mandatory. Owners of just the base version of Field of Glory II will be able to play this mod as well, just without the Immortal Fire army lists.

Features:

• Custom Battle, Sandbox Campaign, and Multiplayer modules synced with currently available base and DLC armies.
  • Chinese units and army lists covering the Zhou, Qin, and Early Han Dynasties (1046 BC – 23 AD). More will be added.
  • Various ethnic groups that inhabit western, north-western China and Mongolia (Xirong, Beidi, Donghu, Xiongnu, Xianbei, Wuhuan, Qiang, and Di).
  • Chinese and non-Chinese names for commanders.
  • Many new unit types.
You can download the mod directly from the game, clicking on the “Download community scenarios” button in the upper left side of the Main Menu, Epic Battles or Campaigns screen. To play it, you must select the module “The Silk Road” in the Custom Battles/Campaigns/MP Challenge Skirmish area. (Not the Epic Battles area).

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
http://www.slitherine.com/news/2534/Field.of.Glory.II.Legions.Triumphant.will.be.out.on.March,.8th!

Field of Glory II: Legions Triumphant will be out on March, 8th!
Posted: Wednesday, February 28, 2018 by Daniele Meneghini

Type: News

It’s time to take your sword and armour from the wall and prepare to march for war once again, as Legions Triumphant release is coming very soon!

The Field of Glory II DLC set from the height of the Roman Empire until the eventual collapse of its western half, will be released on Martius VIII (March, 8th), bringing 10 new factions (including Anglo-Saxons, Goths, Huns, Romano-British, Sassanid Persians, and more), 17 new units (Legio Palatina, Fierce Nomad Horse Archers (Huns), Pictish Spearmen, … ) and 22 new army lists expanding the total number of army lists to 132!

http://www.slitherine.com/products/product.asp?gid=720

Summary of features

• 10 new factions
  • 19 new units
  • 24 new army lists
  • 10 new Epic Battles
  • 36 new Quick Battles
  • Expanded Custom Battles module.
  • Expanded Sandbox Campaign module.
  • 4 new historically-based campaigns.
  • Main build updated with major improvements to gameplay.

oscar

Arcane
Just had a really fun victory as Scots-Irish over Romans. Cool army list (zero cavalry, just lots of medium infantry, javelins and good quality chariots). Baited his main battle line up a hill (though even then post-Marian legions are total murder machines in anything close to a fair fight and the rest of my force barely managed to arrive in time) while I used my superior numbers of skirmishes to quickly blow away his skirmishers and cavalry before returning to the hill-line in a book envelopment manoeuvre

Before that had a fun game as India vs Parthia. India's a unique list too, boatload of archers, mediocre infantry, cheap (crap quality but still very cost-effective for flanking/rear attacks) cavalry and super-heavy bow chariots. Opponent left his catraphacts way too far to the rear letting me shoot up his infantry and bog down his horse archers in an attritional shoot-out. Still even without support his catraphacts were pretty deadly.

Looking forward to this expansion.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom