Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How do YOU rate these newer/newest RPGs?

Kingdom Come: Deliverance: Have played for 5 minutes, no rating yet. Looks very promising though.
ELEX: Haven't played yet, waiting for many more patches.
Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar: Haven't played and don't plan to.
Prey: Bought because of Avellone, but haven't played yet.
Tyranny: 7 (liked the combat and magic system, didn't like the im14andthisisedgy setup)
Divinity Original Sin 2: Bought but haven't played yet.
Divinity Original Sin 1: 8 (loved the combat, didn't care for the story)
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided: Haven't played and don't plan to.
The Witcher 3: 9 (Loved the story, the setting and the quests. Combat could be better.)
Torment: Tides of Numenera: 8 (It somewhat manages to be quirky and unpredictable, but is way too wordy.)
Age of Decadence: 10 (A masterpiece. The only thing I would change is the teleporting.)
Underrail: Haven't played.
Wasteland 2: Played for a few hours, abandoned.
Pillars of Eternity: 9 (The story pacing could make more sense, in the end I didn't care about the character. Loved everything else.)
Fallout 4: Played for 6 hours, because couldn't make peace with the fact that I wasted money on this game. A huge disappointment.

In general, if you'd like to play less RPG's I highly recommend getting a newborn baby. Leaves you hardly any time for games.

Falksi

Arcane
The Witcher 3: Main Game 5/10. Blood & Wine 8.5/10

Just curious, why the difference? Seemed to me B&W was just more of the same, with wine.

Because wine is awesome.

For me mate there were loads of little differences which added up to make a much better experience overall. B&W introduced enough fresh elements (new monsters, mutations, ingredients etc.) to give some of that exploration purpose again. It also seemed structured better too. Combat was a damn sight better for having actually challenging monsters to fight.

I can still understand people having issues with it tho, and the cities/towns still felt fairly pointless. But compared to endless wolf & bandit fights over bland/barren Velen it was Heaven.

The key thing for me personally was the main quest too. Finding Ciri was boring as fuck. Whereas the B&W plotline was mostly exciting, and had a far better support cast than the main game. Regis was up there with Roach & Iorveth for me, whereas no one reached those levels in the main game, not even The Bloody Baron. And you actually got to know your villain, he didn't just turn up at the end for a fight.

Throw in a richer, more exciting world & aesthetics, and far better pacing all round & I think B&W was leagues ahead of the main game.

Chrio

Novice
Kingdom Come: Deliverance: 7/10 after 40 hours, could be higher but bugs
ELEX: I wont rate it, I bought it and played it for a few hours but I just dont like the artstyle, would have preferred a medieval setting a thousand times.
Tyranny: Bought it, played it a few hours, dont like the artstyle, perhaps Ill try it again
Divinity Original Sin 1: Dont like the combat system, art / assets is /are quite repetitive, story seems fun, havent finished it yet but I dont think i will
The Witcher 3: 10/10
Torment: Tides of Numenera: Played it a while, wont continue, says all
Wasteland 2: Played it a while, also wont continue
Pillars of Eternity: Yeah I dont know, there are good and there are bad things, the art is nice, the music, the atmosphere but I fell asleep a dozen times while playing
Fallout 4: 10/10 after 700 hours in this masterpiece, VIVE version would be awesome, but would end reallife. Survival mode is beast, if you sissyfags played all on easy no wonder you didnt like it.

To me, Witcher 3, ELEX and KCD are head and shoulders above the rest because they are actually pushing the genre forward. That doesn't mean they are perfect, or that they push the genre forward in every way. These are all flawed games, but each one does something new and exciting. Witcher 3 has a level of story-telling and cut scenes and mature storylines that are unprecedented for a modern open world RPG. It also pushes things forward with its graphics and animations. ELEX has amazing vertical exploration and tremendous amounts of C&C for a huge open world game, and KCD introduces a cubic ton of new systems and approaches, even if some of them need to be modded or improved. These games are different from what came before.

Underrail is a very nice game, but it's a rehash of what's already been done before. The new Divinities are a joke, both literally and figuratively, and the rest of these games elicit a collective bleh from me.
The modern innovations in Rpgs:

-story telling, cut scenes, mature, unprecedented

-jetpack

-mods will fix it

Amazing!
:updatedmytxt:

If you don't understand the advantages that a fully fleshed out first/third person perspective 3D world has over an isometric 2D world in terms of exploration, immersion and enjoyment, then I can't help you. If you don't see the advantage that Witcher 3 cut-scenes have over say those talking heads in Fallout 1/2 in terms of emotional impact, then I can't help you. If you can't see the potential of in-depth systems in KCD (granted once modded as now they are very raw and not really being taken advantage of fully), and how that is an advantage over he simplistic systems in older rpgs (with some exceptions), then I also cannot help you.

You people have railed for so long against Bethesda/Bioware type bs, you have lost the ability to discern between what is good and what is bad.

frajaq

Erudite
hold up a second is that guy shitting on jetpacks? they were like the one good thing in ELEX

Master

Arbiter
Jetpacks and immersion are ok but have fuck all to do with role-playing. That immersion talk reminds me of
http://frictionalgames.blogspot.rs/2011/02/thoughts-on-dead-space-2.html
"When I started the game, I was not in the best of moods (being a bit agitated), but I did what I could, darkened the room and so on. Everything to heighten immersion. As the game started out, it began with a non-playable sequence, something which made me relax and slowly immerse myself. Once the game actually began and I gained control, my mood had changed quite a bit and I felt I was ready to be immersed and role-play. Then after just playing for 30 seconds or so, I took a wrong turn and died.

This broke all the immersion"

Modern RPGs --- are you ready to be immersed and to roleplay??

Nice strawman. Look, just because modern RPGs are bad in some ways, doesn't mean that EVERYTHING they try to do is bad. 3D is good. First/third-person is good. Action combat is good (if it's done well obviously). Well done cut-scenes are good, as long as they aren't the whole game.

Playing Underrail recently has made me realize what progress is. Underrail is a very good game, it does a lot of things well, but in the end, it just doesn't do it for me anymore the same way as these much higher budgeted and still well designed games (like Witcher 3, ELEX, and KCD). It's like comparing a really well done Haiku to a very flawed novel. Sure, the Haiku might be much better designed within its context, but it's a Haiku, and it's a novel. They are not playing on a level field. Same thing for an old school turn based isometric game vs a modern open world 3D first/third person AAA title.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Kingdom Come: Deliverance: :5/5::3/5:
ELEX: :5/5::4/5:
Tyranny: :5/5::3/5:
Divinity Original Sin 1: :5/5::0/5:
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided: :5/5::1/5:
The Witcher 3: :5/5::2/5:
Torment: Tides of Numenera: :5/5::3/5:
Age of Decadence: :5/5::2/5:
Wasteland 2: :5/5::3/5:
Pillars of Eternity: :5/5::4/5:

Master

Arbiter
Exploration, immersion, enjoyment - THE FUTURE IS NOW

I cant wait for those golf courses on the Moon. What can possibly go wrong?
Time-Machine-4.jpg

future gamer

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
Playing Underrail recently has made me realize what progress is. Underrail is a very good game, it does a lot of things well, but in the end, it just doesn't do it for me anymore the same way as these much higher budgeted and still well designed games (like Witcher 3, ELEX, and KCD).

Too much AAA is bad for your imagination.

iu

EtcEtcEtc

Savant
Only what I've played:

The Witcher 3: 10
Age of Decadence: 10
Wasteland 2: 8
Pillars of Eternity: 8
Fallout 4: 5
Shadowrun: Returns: 6
Shadowrun: Dragonfall: 8

Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Kingdom Come: Deliverance: 8, mods and patches could push this to 9-10 range
ELEX: 8
Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar: Looks cool but I don't like blobbers :(
Divinity Original Sin 1: 6.5 (Cyseal is a 9 but after that...man)
The Witcher 3: 9
Torment: Tides of Numenera: Kickstarter physical copy sitting in my closet likely never to be opened
Age of Decadence: 10
Wasteland 2: 6.5
Pillars of Eternity: 5 - when you remove all the cool stuff in the name of balance and then release a completely unbalanced game anyway
Fallout 4: I have better things to do, like sitting on the floor staring at the wall

Parabalus

Arcane
Kingdom Come: Deliverance: 8.5
ELEX:7
Prey: 8
Tyranny: 7.5
Divinity Original Sin 1 EE : 7
Divinity Original Sin 2: 1
The Witcher 3: 8.5
Torment: Tides of Numenera: 7
Age of Decadence: 9.5
Wasteland 2: 6.5
Pillars of Eternity : 9
Underrail: 9

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Grimoire: manual/10

Tyranny: Better Than Pillars

Pillars: gud

AoD: it's either party-based or hack 'n' slash in this world, gg

D:OS2: 10/MCA

Torment: take 5 years to produce a game that lacks everything promised in the kickstarter, achievement unlocked

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Kingdom Come Deliverance: I only started it so can't rate. I liked what I saw but also got a gamebreaking bug, so I quitted to wait for more patches.
Elex: Didn't play it yet.
Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar: didn't give it an honest go yet, will rate in the future.
Prey: once again, not yet.
Tyranny: 6/10. There is a good game hidden there, but low budget did not allow it to flourish.
Divinity Original Sin 1: Not yet
Divinity Original Sin 2: Not yet
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided: Not yet
The Witcher 3: 9,5/10 - I had most fun (and most hours of playing) out of it of all the new titles. Besides, being a potato, I can't really say otherwise.
Torment: Tides of Numenera: as a PST successor, 5. As a game in it's own right, 6.
Age of Decadence: 8/10. It would be 9, if the game was a bit longer and more epic.
Underrail: Have to play it yet.
Wasteland 2: I played it pior to Director's Cut, liked it but stopped because some quest bugged out on me. I'd give it 6,5/10, but hope to try DC one day.
Pillars of Eternity: When I played it after it was released I was not really amused and stopped soon after leaving Defiance Bay (so, 2/3 through the game). I played it second time after Whitemarch 1&2 were released and enjoyed it much more. 8,5/10.
Fallout 4: Played it for 3 hours, hated most of it. 3/10

Other modern titles I played:

Shadowrun Returns: 7/10. A good first try.
Shadowrun Dragonfall: 8/10 A really fine game.
Fallout: Ressurection: 9/10, a true successor to F1&2. Now playing Nevada and it's even better!

Vlajdermen

Arcane
ELEX: either 7 or 8
TW3: 8 (not as an RPG but as a game in general)
Numenera: haven't beaten it yet, but so far it's a 6
Haven't had the time to play the others.

kyrub

Augur
In general, if you'd like to play less RPG's I highly recommend getting a newborn baby. Leaves you hardly any time for games.

Yeah, that one is pretty good, I have a third replay ongoing.

EDIT:
Divinity: OS 1 - Stupid graphics slow down the gameplay and a very solid model of combat, making it all but unplayable. It could have been great, but... 3/10.
Lords of Xulima with Darkest mod - hard as ****, that one has pushed my stategic planning to the limit. It gets too long and repetitive later (never finished it), but still well worth it if you like old-school turn based slow thing. The upgrade is the clear mechanisms in the game and the possibility and the necessity to plan and wage the risks ahead.... 8/10.
Shadowrun Dragonfall
with Antumbra Saga mod - fantastic, the writing is great and the combat is much better than in the original game (which I recommend as well).... 9/10.
Adom
- open-world game at its best, IF you don't read the secret stuff online like I did. There's no hope to re-enjoy the unravelling game afterwards, unless you are able to role-play the known world to death with different setup 8/10, without fore-knowledge 10/10.
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup - great, unforgiving game, which is still being developped. It seems to never get old. I come back every now and then and there's always a brand new way to play it 10/10.

Last edited:

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Puzzling to me that people here slobber all over Shadowrun Dragonfall's cock. I've been civil in discussions about the game before, but after trying to get into it for the 4th time or so, here's the real skinny of it:
  • Terrible character progression with leveling giving you boring ass abilities and items being nothing more than stat sticks (your companions get far more interesting options than you, what's up with that?),
  • Terrible writing chock-full of info dump NPCs ready to bore you to tears about their banal shit boring lives that have 0 impact on the game.
  • Mediocre bare bones combat trying to emulate nu X-Com and delivering a vastly inferior product.
  • UI designed for Ipads and unresponsive controls (you literally click shit sometimes and nothing happens)\
  • Game is absolute SHITE.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
My ratings for new games that aren't hot garbage -

Tyranny: Decent, finished it. Had potential to be great, but combat kind of sucks, game throws wayyyyy too many skills and abilities at you that look and feel super cool (really like the combos between characters), but there's so many you never get a chance to use even half of them. Story ends abruptly, but the world is very responsive and it presents you with some rather interesting opportunities.

Pillars of Eternity: Great game played through it twice (both post 3.0 with White March). Looks beautiful, good writing, good character progressiion, plays well, combat is good if you like RTwP (if you don't, why even be reading this at this point). Dislike the amount of abilities the game throws at you, specially for Druids and Priests (and the spells aren't diverse enough in their effects IMO). Makes things way too messy at 6 characters. Thankfully parties in PoE 2 will be 5 max (4 would've been ideal IMO). Pales in comparison to BG 2 in a lot of ways, but stands up on it's own.

Divinity Original Sin 1: Decent, never finished. Has a cool sandbox feel, combat is tactical, but the story failed to bring me in more. I might try it again sometime.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution: Wouldn't call this an RPG, but had a great time with it.

Age of Decadence: Fantastic game, played through the whole thing twice. Great world building, great writing, great reactivity, very good combat.

Underrail: Fantastic game, played through it once, will play again once expansion drops. Writing is not on par with AoD, but it's very serviceable and the combat is amazing (better than AoD in this regard). Character development is very satisfying, tons of builds to choose from, great progression with feats that really make a difference in how your character plays out.

Wasteland 2: Meh. Abandoned playthrough. Character development showed promise, but the game was quite clunky. I really disliked how hard it was to position your characters pre-combat in a proper way, they start off out of cover, it's just kind of a mess. Might try it again sometime.

mfkndggrfll

Learned
Shitposter Bethestard
Can we ban everyone that claims PoE has good writing already? Maybe kill them with fire as well to take no chances.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom