Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How do YOU rate these newer/newest RPGs?

Shin

Cipher
Is Blood and Wine that good? I liked the base Witcher 3 game but haven't felt the need to go back.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Just poppin' in to say, I got my original account back, which is why the OP alt, Mengsk, is now gone.

Thanks everybody for rating, keep it up ! Real interesting to see your take on alot of the most talked about rpgs! :)

Last edited:
To me, Witcher 3, ELEX and KCD are head and shoulders above the rest because they are actually pushing the genre forward. That doesn't mean they are perfect, or that they push the genre forward in every way. These are all flawed games, but each one does something new and exciting. Witcher 3 has a level of story-telling and cut scenes and mature storylines that are unprecedented for a modern open world RPG. It also pushes things forward with its graphics and animations. ELEX has amazing vertical exploration and tremendous amounts of C&C for a huge open world game, and KCD introduces a cubic ton of new systems and approaches, even if some of them need to be modded or improved. These games are different from what came before.

Underrail is a very nice game, but it's a rehash of what's already been done before. The new Divinities are a joke, both literally and figuratively, and the rest of these games elicit a collective bleh from me.

Falksi

Arcane
Is Blood and Wine that good? I liked the base Witcher 3 game but haven't felt the need to go back.

Personally I rated it FAR more than the main game. It's just better paced & a tighter experience, more absorbing, has a richer cast & environment, & has more interesting/challenging combat.

Still had it's flaws, but it wasn't the repetitive grind which the main game was IMO. And the main quest itself was just far more interesting.

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Kingdom Come: Deliverance: 6/10
ELEX: 7/10
Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar: 6/10
Prey: 7/10
Tyranny: 6/10
Divinity Original Sin 2: 8/10
Divinity Original Sin 1: 9/10
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided: 7/10
The Witcher 3: 5/10
Torment: Tides of Numenera: 5/10
Age of Decadence: 8/10
Underrail: 8/10
Wasteland 2: 7/10
Pillars of Eternity: 7/10
Fallout 4: 4/10

M. AQVILA

Arcane
Kingdom Come: Deliverance: 6
ELEX: 4
Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar: -
Prey: -
Tyranny: 2
Divinity Original Sin 2: 2
Divinity Original Sin 1: 2
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided: -
The Witcher 3: 7
Torment: Tides of Numenera: 4
Age of Decadence: 5
Underrail: 5
Wasteland 2: 3
Pillars of Eternity: 5
Fallout 4: 1

Suicidal

Arcane
Heh, turns out I haven't played most of the stuff on the list, so I'll only rate the ones I've played.

D:OS 1 - 7.5/10. Fun game but I had to subtract a lot of points for how shit the combat balance and encounter design was. After the 1st act not a single enemy in the game posed a challenge anymore and late game enemies were still using beginner spells that hit my guys for 20 damage or applied worthless debuffs that didn't matter. Also I remember going into the last boss fight with my characters having 80-100% on all resistances and the boss being unable to even damage them.

D:OS 2 - 9.5/10. Fixed some issues I had with the first one, but added new ones to compensate. Still, out of the two, I enjoyed D:OS 2 more. Felt like more effort went into it, challenging fights still appeared past act 1 and the companions and quests were a lot more interesting.

Wasteland 2 - 8/10. Actually don't remember it that well, but I think I enjoyed it. Combat was decent and going into different weird post-apoc towns and solving all their problems evoked positive memories of Fallout 2. I remember there was a good amount of C&C and multiple ways to do many quests. Out of all the major Kickstarter RPGs this one felt the least polished.

Pillars of Eternity - 7/10 (but White March by itself was 9/10, so together they make 8/10) - minus points for being RTwP, trying to sloppily copy Baldur's Gate combat (which was already borderline acceptable) and the overall dry feeling of many of the sidequests and dialogue. White March had the best content of the game, a lot more places where conversation options mattered and where it was possible to solve something in different ways and some great instances of unexpected C&C.

Some others that should be on the list:

Shadowrun Returns - 6/10. The only interesting thing about this game were the setting and the main storyline, which kept me playing to the end. Combat was dogshit, quests were generally meh and there weren't that many places where your conversation options mattered.

Shadowrun Dragonfall - 8.5/10. An improvement on SRR in pretty much every way except the combat, which remained dogshit.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
I don't like giving these something/10 rarings so..

Great:
Age Of Decadence
Underrail

Good but flawed:
Kingdom Come Deliverance (cool idea but shoddy execution)
Witcher 3 (popamoleismus but with cool story, setting and stmosphere)

The above caught my attention, rest on the list: either didn't play, were fun but kind of forgettable or downright shit. I liked Prey, but I don't count that as an rpg.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
ELEX 8.5/10
Divinity Original Sin 6.5/10
AoD 8/10
Underrail 8/10
Fallout 4 5/10 (I don't hate it somehow, I like shooting stuff in it, honestly I kinda enjoy it for the first 10 hours, but the content still sucks)
Pillars 7/10

I haven't played TW3 yet, though that's the one I'm interested in trying.
The Technomancer: 9/10
Is this really any good?

Falksi

Arcane
ELEX 8.5/10
Divinity Original Sin 6.5/10
AoD 8/10
Underrail 8/10
Fallout 4 5/10 (I don't hate it somehow, I like shooting stuff in it, honestly I kinda enjoy it for the first 10 hours, but the content still sucks)
Pillars 7/10

I haven't played TW3 yet, though that's the one I'm interested in trying.
The Technomancer: 9/10
Is this really any good?

I fucking THRIVED on The Technomancer mate, I mean fucking joyously indulged in every last second of it.

It's flawed. It's definitely got that budget B-movie feel (but I quite like that), the repetition of combat areas is annoying, and the only combat style which I found fun was Rogue (the others are poor IMO).

But it just oozes charm, atmosphere & all those elements which gave us enjoyable action RPGs such as the original Mass Effect.

It's defo an action-RPG with the emphasis more on action, it's defo hard work in areas. But if you enjoy games such as Mass Effect, Risen 2, or Divinity:TDKS 2 etc. I'd grab it in a second. My own personaly favourite PS4 game so far, and - IMO - a fuckload more enjoyable than the likes of TW3. It's a nice throwback to a Bioware action style RPG from the mid-00's, but with less SJW and more charm.

Master

Arbiter
To me, Witcher 3, ELEX and KCD are head and shoulders above the rest because they are actually pushing the genre forward. That doesn't mean they are perfect, or that they push the genre forward in every way. These are all flawed games, but each one does something new and exciting. Witcher 3 has a level of story-telling and cut scenes and mature storylines that are unprecedented for a modern open world RPG. It also pushes things forward with its graphics and animations. ELEX has amazing vertical exploration and tremendous amounts of C&C for a huge open world game, and KCD introduces a cubic ton of new systems and approaches, even if some of them need to be modded or improved. These games are different from what came before.

Underrail is a very nice game, but it's a rehash of what's already been done before. The new Divinities are a joke, both literally and figuratively, and the rest of these games elicit a collective bleh from me.
The modern innovations in Rpgs:

-story telling, cut scenes, mature, unprecedented

-jetpack

-mods will fix it

Amazing!
:updatedmytxt:

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Divinity Original Sin 2: 6

Divinity Original Sin 1: 6.5

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided: 4

The Witcher 3: 4

Torment: Tides of Numenera: 5.5

Wasteland 2: 7

Pillars of Eternity: 6.5

Fallout 4: 1

The rest I’ve either not played enough to rate (however vague these numbers may be), or at all.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Kingdom Come: Deliverance: Buying after more patches
ELEX: 9/10
Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar:
Prey:
Tyranny: 6/10
Divinity Original Sin 2: 8/10
Divinity Original Sin 1: 9/10
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided: Backlog
The Witcher 3: 8.5/10
Torment: Tides of Numenera: 5/10
Age of Decadence: 8/10
Underrail: Backlog
Wasteland 2: 7/10
Pillars of Eternity: 8/10
Fallout 4: 4/10

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Kingdom Come: Deliverance: :hug:
ELEX: :hug:
Prey: :hug:
Tyranny: :hug:
Divinity Original Sin 2: :hug:
Divinity Original Sin 1: :hug:
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided: :hug:
The Witcher 3: :hug:
Torment: Tides of Numenera: :hahano:
Underrail::bounce:
Wasteland 2: :roll:
Pillars of Eternity: :bounce:
Fallout 4::hahano:

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Kingdom Come: Deliverance: N/A
ELEX: 5
Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar: 10
Prey: N/A
Tyranny: N/A
Divinity Original Sin 2: 5
Divinity Original Sin 1: 7.5
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided: N/A
The Witcher 3: 5
Torment: Tides of Numenera: 3
Age of Decadence: 8
Underrail: 9
Wasteland 2: 5
Pillars of Eternity: 4
Fallout 4: N/A

Last edited:

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
I fucking THRIVED on The Technomancer mate, I mean fucking joyously indulged in every last second of it.

It's flawed. It's definitely got that budget B-movie feel (but I quite like that), the repetition of combat areas is annoying, and the only combat style which I found fun was Rogue (the others are poor IMO).

But it just oozes charm, atmosphere & all those elements which gave us enjoyable action RPGs such as the original Mass Effect.
The Technomancer was horrible. I agree that it does have a lot of charm, the setting is cool and it has a b-movie feel(in a good way) but the game is really bad, walking back and forth in the same locations and killing the same respawning enemies -> that's what most of it is like.

Sykar

Arcane
Kingdom Come: Deliverance: Never played
ELEX: Never played
Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar: Never played
Prey: Never played
Tyranny: Never played
Divinity Original Sin 2: Never played
Divinity Original Sin 1: 5/10 (Meh, never finished)
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided: 6/10 (Disappointing)
The Witcher 3: 7/10 (Generous here, so much wasted potential due to shitty consoleritis)
Torment: Tides of Numenera: Never played
Age of Decadence: Never played
Underrail: 9/10 (Finished multiple times, great fun planning characters, exploration and decent tactical combat)
Wasteland 2: 6/10
Pillars of Eternity: Never played
Fallout 4: 0/10 out of principle

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom