Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
Just finished System Shock for the first time. Didn't really have too much of an issue getting used to the control scheme, which is a pretty common complaint, possibly because I'm already familiar with Ultima Underworld's. Aside from that though, it's really quite amazing how ahead of its time that game was. I daresay it's absolutely monumental, and can be considered one of the pillars of videogame design in my book. Think I'll move on to SS2 now, just for the sake of playing through both games in succession.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ultima VII: The Black Gate. I've only ever beaten it once. This time, I'm playing as a woman. I'm not stealing anything, but my companions, their behaviour can only be described as disgraceful. Looting everything. It's crazy how much ahead of its time was and still is in some regards. I find the writing to be hilarious in a charming way. My only beef is the combat. I don't love it.

I'm also trying to play through Yakuza 5 and Yakuza 0 to completion in time for the release of Yakuza 6. Likelyhood of accomplishing this = 0%.

Ocelot

Learned
Currently playing SCP: Secret Laboratory, an early access p.o.s simulator which is fun enough to be kept around but still more bare-bones than a skeleton in Oblivion. I'll probably put a couple of hours on it before deleting it unless if they update it with some extra meaningful stuff.

If you are not a molerat like myself and don't enjoy dark, narrow corridors, just read the SCP website instead and don't bother with the game, no matter what that Steam friend of yours might say about it. It's not ready (yet).

Wulfris

Literate
7 days to Die with a bro. (Zombie bears.)
Ghost Recon Wildlands (because Far Cry 5 isn't out yet.
Icewind Dale (because I don't have the brain power after work to play Bg2 for the first time. Heresy I know.)

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
After finishing West of Loathing and Hollow Knight, I'm onto the next game left over from Christmas: Witcher 3, aka Elder Scrolls: Arkham Geralt. It's... alright? The combat so far is a bit dull, given the same tactics work on everything from dogs to ghosts to griffons: land a few hits then dodge to the side; cast some random spell now and then. It rarely seems to deviate from that. Hopefully it'll be more interesting later on once I get some new abilities or upgrades or whatever. Maybe I've been spoilt by things like Dark Souls and Hollow Knight where both the enemies and the attacks have considerably more variety, as opposed to "swing your sword" or "swing your sword a bit harder". I guess there's also a story and whatever in there but it's pretty run-of-the-mill stuff with rather limited dialogue options. It reminds me of Mass Effect (1 or 2) sometimes, except I haven't punched a reporter yet. And the "witcher senses" crap - which seems to make up a good bunch of the quests - is about as exciting as it was in the Arkham games: hold button, look at/follow red stuff, receive bacon. At least the game seems to run pretty well, so there's that.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Carmageddon: Max Damage
Could be better. Not sure if worse than TDR 2000. GPU vent spinning at full speed because optimization is better but still far from good. Loading times are worse. Unbalanced as fuck, after upgrading your car a little you can fight toughest opponents without problem when in old Carmas you need better than average cars (ie. trucks) and almost full upgrades. I was really surprised how powerful our vehicle is and that was Hard difficulty ffs!
You can't upgrade your vehicle with best parts because you have limit for upgrades - 12/12 slots (best armor/engine/offense take 5 slots, I went with 3/5 armor, 4/5 engine and 5/5 offensive systems). You can upgrade cars by finding upgrades tokens, big shiny coins spread across the maps. Some of them are well placed (like Carma2), some of them put in plain sight and these are enough to upgrade 2-3 cars. They don't respawn with every new race and I have suspicion that when maps are recycled - they share upgrade tokens pool.

Music is awful, only Fear Factory tracks that play from time to time are noticeable, other are MEH as fuck.
And while you can put your own music in (by extracting game files, changing them and pack again) it's considered as a game files violation and disable multiplayer :decline:

Police cars were impenetrable in old Carmas until very late, here you can wreck their car from the beginning. That remind me... if you wreck their car you get massive amount of points, enough to unlock 2 new levels. But guess what - they will be wasted. If you gathered 250000 points and you need 100000 to unlock next level and 125000 for another - it will only unlock first one because points counter is locked on one level, it won't jump to next one after you gather enough points to unlock first one.

There are 16 levels, each one of them (except final one which is another Classic Carma race) have up to 5 special races, they are not mandatory to unlock next level, like it was a case in Carma 2 and TDR 2000. They are not particularly difficult yet I still couldn't arse myself to play them.

25GB down the drain.

Last edited:

Dux

Arcane
Risen 2: Dark Taint

Arrr me mateys hoist the... ah fuck off already.

Do you know what the Witcher series has in common in with the Risen one? They both started out with a game sort of rooted in proper CRPG sensibilities and mechanics. They both cast aside these priorities in favour of a more console-friendly sequel. They both implemented twitch-based roll-dodging combat and QTEs to their respective series, inflicting debilitating blisters upon the souls of any self-respecting RPGer in the process. Don't forget the eyes-rolling-up-in-your-skull dialogue. They both have third entries which I have not yet played.

It took me about an hour of gameplay before I realised that the guy I was playing was the same guy from Risen. Apparently the guy who saved an entire island and defeated a Fire Titan is now just some bum and it's only been a short time since those events. I don't even. He also has an eye-patch now. I guess that's the main thing to take away from this game: the sheer distance it shares with its predecessor. Patty was a perfectly decent waifu in the first one. Now she's a poor excuse of a tsundere and a dead-eyed mannequin who really likes to talk with her hands, and who sort of looks like that Caitlyn Jenner. I'm not even joking. There's also a gnome who punctuates every other sentence with "fuck yes!". A real knee-slapper that one, yessir. You have various companions who'll tag along on your adventures. They're fairly useless. Can't really fight. Can't really pathfind. Sometimes you have enemies with muskets. They are probably one of the more broken adversaries you'll ever encounter as a gamer. Lethal as fuck at range, lethal as all fuck in melee. Fires a shot every three seconds or so. Can't really miss you. Happy times. Furthermore, instead of having one big island to explore you now have several smaller ones, none of which are especially memorable. Loot is uninspired - mostly booze and a generic amount of gold. The lock-picking is a bit better than before but it's still unnecessary. The game looks worse due to lighting issues and horrendous draw distance. In Risen things would gradually phase into view as you came closer. In Risen 2 they just pop in right in front of you. I had every setting on max with a few mods to alleviate this problem and it was still piss poor. You can learn voodoo to inhabit certain characters, curse enemies and summon a pirate (who'll mostly wig out when you need him fighting). Sort of cool, I guess, but it is not that suited to the overall gameplay. Then there's the insta-kill traps completely hidden in the terrain. Trigger it and you have about one second to press spacebar or you're dead. You know, just the sort of game mechanics we RPGers get up out of bed for.

I give this expired tub of lard a ROCK SOLID 2 marmosets out of 5 marmosets.

Haha I'm so burned out.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Is bioshock 2 and infinite worth playing
No. First one was ok, had some good ideas even though many of them were disappointingly implemented, and some good level design and set pieces. Second one has none of this and ends up being painfully mediocre and bland.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Is bioshock 2 and infinite worth playing
Bioshock 2 has much better level design but way worse storytelling, it is worth playing but I finished with a nasty taste of having wasted my time as the good didn't offset the bad and the game ended being a blad experience.

Infinite is... well... Ken Levine wasted most his time daydreaming about some dumb waifu with big tits and forgot everything else... I saw it once on Steam to play for free, even at that price, I was unmotivated, that tells you about the quality of the game.

Vorark

Erudite
Playing Bloodborne, went completely blind.

I'm still getting the hang of it, but I'm liking the "attack to recover health" mechanic. Makes for aggressive playstyle, which I've always favored. The "Dark Souls III is Bloodborne" comparisions do have merit afterall, however these people forget to mention how the fast paced combat actually works in BB because it was designed from the ground up to support it. Meanwhile, in DS3 you can only roll, roll and... roll. Took damage? Better chug that estus.

Have yet to find the level up girl too, I believe it's gonna be the creepy doll. Atmosphere is fantastic -- creepy vibes everywhere.

Anyway, I'm digging the game very much.

Also, what the fuck is wrong with the Dualshock4? The heck, was looking for the Start and Select buttons and instead you get Share and Options. :|

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
CLEAR SKT BROS UNTILL OT FUCKING PERMANENTLY FUCKED MY 2 LATESR SAVES FUCK TGAT

MAYBE AUTUMN AURORA 2 NEXR AND I STILL GOTTA TRY MONSTER HUNTER WORLDS

pizza_microwave

Liturgist
Replaying the Max Payne anthology and Dishonored 1. I started Shadowrun, kind of want to see if the series is good (even though people advised me against it). I also finished VtMB for the first time as tremere not such a long time ago, amazing how Troika managed to make a wonderful broken stupid retarded SOYFILLED bugs ridden annoying as kikes game with incredible immersion and music; now doing a second run as a malk.
I also played modded S.T.A.L.K.E.R like there was no tomorrow, which in turn burned me out and now i don't even want to open the game. Sometimes when i have free time i boot up bloodrayne though the game is buggy and I am way too lazy and possible brainlet to look into a fix for the first game.

Ocelot

Learned
Replaying KOTOR 2 for the first time. This game never gets boring but it feels bad knowing that there is no KOTOR 3 after so many years.

Playing Overwatch once in a while. Not that great after the initial enthusiasm wears off.

toroid

Arcane
Borderlands 2 community patch
Thanks for this, I guess. This got me to reinstall and play for the first time in a few years. Seems like the most important feature of the patch for me is the supposed improvement of rare drop rates. "Supposed" because I can't say that I see the improvement so far.
Unfortunately, I'm remembering that Borderlands 2 is one of the dumbest and most janky games I have ever played. Getting stuck on the terrain every ten steps, dialogue timed to coincide with combat so you don't hear what they're saying EVERY SINGLE TIME, quests seem to be designed for maximum intelligence insult (go way over there to use that thing but please ignore the thing ten feet away), inventory management is a nightmare, etc.

Though, the loot whoring is fun after not playing in forever, so I guess I'll just medicate myself whenever I play.

L'ennui

Magister
Exercising my God-given right to play Sid Meier's (Brian Reynolds') Glorious Motherfucking Alpha Centauri on my phone.

Also playing NHL 2018 on Xbox when I have the chance, but I have many spawnlings and very little time.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
Finished System Shock 2.
Still a great game, but now that both games are fresh in my memory, I have to admit I think SS1 is the superior one. It's a more focused game that flows better and remains consistent in quality all the way up to the "boss fight" against SHODAN in cyberspace, while SS2 starts slowly declining right after the SHODAN reveal imo, with the Rickenbacker being the low point. Speaking of SHODAN, she's mostly relegated to a cybermodule dispenser along with the occasional comment on how good of a job you do despite being a lowly insect; her SS1 iteration is definitely the superior one. Lastly, while SS2 has incorporated more horror elements in its design, I found Citadel Station to be a more dreadful and claustrophobic place to explore, ironically enough. As an example, experiencing the aftermath of the tragedy on the Executives level in SS1 left me with more of an impression than anything does in SS2. Sure, the claustrophobic element of Citadel Station was partly because of the limitations at the time, but it still works in the game's favor.

Anyway, I think I'll play either Primordia, Lands of Lore, or Shadowrun: Dragonfall next. I have yet to decide.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Playing din curse with friends.
I have to say i didn't expect to have fun with a diablo like game.
The game has typical diablo ckikcity game play but the it has unique dungeon and town system.
Everything is procedurally generated but that is not a bad thing here. The dungeon feels alive.Monsters fight each other,traders go in and die,monsters can go outside and kill the town.
You can do quests to equip and finance the townspeople,etc.Also some quests are timed so you can't just take your time and do nothing.
It does enough to push it above generic diablo game play.

Also bonus points for me not having a high enough level to use a fish.
:negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom