Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Most basic buff level removing highest level of debuff seems odd. Will it work other way around?

Also, it seems like they should change the names of resolve buffs around, resolute being last tier and courageous being second tier makes more sense.

Nael

Arcane
Interesting graph, I wonder which classes will have Resolve Debuffs. It would be interesting if you could terror rout enemies.

Well, Cipher and Wizard are almost a given. They already had fear-type spells in PoE1. But Chanter and Priest are not out of the question either.

Don't forget Barbarians' "Barbaric Yell" ability that was trash in POE1. So I'm guessing it won't be so useless now? Instant mass disengage AoE?
:evilcodex:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't know why he thinks 3% per point isn't enough or too much. The stat already gives +% spell damage, so I think that's enough. 5% is too much, but at 3% you'd have to stack it very high to get any kind of OP behavior out of it. Maxing RES to 40 means your other stats will suffer, so you should get at least some kind of benefit out of it. Not that I suggest implementing such a thing, as your debuffs will vary wildly from one mob to the next and will be unreliable.

frajaq

Erudite
I don't know why he thinks 3% per point isn't enough or too much. The stat already gives +% spell damage, so I think that's enough. 5% is too much, but at 3% you'd have to stack it very high to get any kind of OP behavior out of it. Maxing RES to 40 means your other stats will suffer, so you should get at least some kind of benefit out of it. Not that I suggest implementing such a thing, as your debuffs will vary wildly from one mob to the next and will be unreliable.

the answer is 4% per point then!

pure balance!

Cross

Arcane
Good to see that after becoming involved in the affairs of gods, we're back to fighting wildlife.

jungl

Augur
They could have resolve generate a bar in combat that goes from 0-100 something to make combat more dynamic. you can use it to boost defenses temporarily or empower your next attack with more accuracy or interrupt. the rate this bar grows is based on your resolve with 4-6% more every point over 10 in resolve. Adding something like interrupt to your attack would consume 100 while boosting defenses 40. The rate the bar grows is based on your resolve stat and time spent in combat, possibly other factors. Could even have companions say different stuff how filled up their bar is and give them unique resolve bar powers like a shout that debuffs the enemy.

Codex Year of the Donut
axedice Oh, that's interesting. Thanks for posting. Where'd you find it?

It's funny that some Afflictions have themselves in their effects. "Blind - Effect: Blinded". (Also, Immunity to Gaze? Interesting)

Unless I'm missing something, it seems like Defense reduction is no longer the primary purpose of Afflictions, unlike in PoE1. Instead they have various other, more unique effects. Grognards should like this.

I think it's a much welcome change. I appreciate that fear finally makes characters flee at higher levels.
Also, Immunity to engagement, Cannot be interrupted, oh boy oh boy... will we meet enemies which are in this state for most of a fight, making counters more impactful ? Sure looks like it there.
I have a feeling that this opens the way for cool encounters, let's hope they don't chicken out at the perspective of asking the casual to actually think.
I really like that afflictions and inspirations are tied to stats in a logical way as well. Makes for much more instinctive reading of the game. The first one had notoriously confusing stuff like Frightened (-2 DEX, -2 RES, -10 ACC) which forced the player to go and check what attributes do in order to really understand what the fuck was going on. Now it's crystal clear, he's frightened so his resolve is fucked, also he's fleeing.
why is this a bad thing?

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
why is this a bad thing?
To have to check again and again, playthrough after playthrough, the effects of afflictions you've used 80 times because it's a bunch of seemingly random minor debuffs left and right ?
I don't know man, now that you ask, it sounds pretty fun.
Needless to say, it's completely pointless, so I guess it's not that much of an issue :lol:

Let me illustrate with another status affliction :

DAZED :
Translated into actual gameplay informations :

DAZED :
  • -6% Attack Speed
  • -4 Will
  • -8 Reflex
  • -6% Abilities Duration
  • -4% Abilities Area of effect
  • -6 Interrupt
  • -12 Accuracy
  • ×0.85 Attack Speed

Now look at the new one :

Dazed : -5 Might, -4 Penetration, Can't engage. Only one stat to click if I'd want to get the detailed numbers. Clear unique effects regarding PEN and engagement. Cool.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
why is this a bad thing?
To have to check again and again, playthrough after playthrough, the effects of afflictions you've used 80 times because it's a bunch of seemingly random minor debuffs left and right ?
I don't know man, now that you ask, it sounds pretty fun.
Needless to say, it's completely pointless, so I guess it's not that much of an issue :lol:

Let me illustrate with another status affliction :

DAZED :
Translated into actual gameplay informations :

DAZED :
  • -6% Attack Speed
  • -4 Will
  • -8 Reflex
  • -6% Abilities Duration
  • -4% Abilities Area of effect
  • -6 Interrupt
  • -12 Accuracy
  • ×0.85 Attack Speed

Now look at the new one :

Dazed : -5 Might, -4 Penetration, Can't engage. Only one stat to click if I'd want to get the detailed numbers. Clear unique effects regarding PEN and engagement. Cool.
except the ability no longer does what the name implies I guess
would you expect someone with the affliction 'Dazed' to:
a) be sluggish and less accurate
OR
b) magically become weaker

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
I'd expect him to ask stupid fucking questions.
A guy's dazed because he got knocked in the head or whatever : he can't focus properly to control and hit his enemy correctly. It's the same thing in the first game, but with different gameplay implications.
But how did we come to talk about that, now i'm rather confused.

Codex Year of the Donut
I'd expect him to ask stupid fucking questions.
A guy's dazed because he got knocked in the head or whatever : he can't focus properly to control and hit his enemy correctly. It's the same thing in the first game, but with different gameplay implications.
But how did we come to talk about that, now i'm rather confused.
confused means you can't move
sorry, names no longer have meaning

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It does look like Josh dumped all the status effects that didn't clearly correspond to anything else onto Might - although there's a vague unifying theme of "stuff that happens to you when you get punched real hard".

Azarkon

Arcane
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Frightened

A frightened creature flees from the source of its fear as best it can. If unable to flee, it may fight. A frightened creature takes a –2 penalty on all attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks.

You can't flee in PoE so actually it made sense. :troll:

So many arbitrary mechanics to deal with an issue strategy games have solved a long time ago: giving characters Morale and allowing them to flee.

Brave, disciplined, and loyal characters have high Morale. Characters with the opposite personal qualities have low Morale. Morale decreases automatically as the character takes damage and becomes fatigued, or is hit by Morale reducing abilities like Fear.

As Morale decreases, there is more chance for the character to flee or skip its turn.

You can increase Morale by healing characters, inspiring them, and defeating enemies. Certain systems also give combat bonuses for high Morale and penalties for low Morale.

This is 2018, characters not being able to flee from battle is just ridiculous.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom