Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Unpopular take: MCA could have been a team player and designed companions according to spec that wouldn't have needed to be cut, instead of dumping giant unworkable walls of text on his fellow writers
How so? In his interview with the Codex, Eric Fenstermaker said that the primary bottleneck for Durance and the Grieving Mother wasn't the amount of text, but Obsidian's own absurd guidelines that a significant amount of all text must be voice acted.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10231
The cuts came for length. The three limiting factors were time to implement, art resources for the dream sequences, and VO budget. There was a target length we had set upfront for all companions, and we had to stick to it. Otherwise we'd be, for example, voicing maybe one out of every six lines for Durance and the Grieving Mother, and it'd be conspicuously incongruent with the other companions, who had maybe 2/3 of their lines voiced. Unfortunately in this case it meant cutting down characters that had had a lot of research and creative energy invested in them, and there were some good ideas there that it would've been interesting to explore. It was a shitty thing to have to do, but we'd never have been able to implement the original versions in time to ship.

> Grieving Mother
> Voiced Dialogue

What? you mean the intern in the bathroom jingling bells for 3 hours? Somehow I don't buy it.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Voice acting was horrible anyway. Especially the aumaua guy... others were shitty too. Only one barely decent was Thaos.

BG1/2 had so muchhhh better voice acting. You guys remember the madmen at the mages asylum? or Tiax?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
moriarty70 has interviewed Chris Avellone: http://roadmappodcast.com/podcast/26-chris-avellone-interview/

Download file | Play in new window | Duration: 1:15:22

The man who doesn’t stop swinging. In this special episode of Digital Roadmap, I sit down for a discussion with veteran game designer Chris Avellone. During our talk we cover everything from the design philosophies of his earlier work with Interplay all the way through his involvment with “Into The Breach” and “Pathfinder: Kingmaker”. Also, check the references for many of the items we discuss.

Remember to connect with us on twitter @roadmappodcast, visit the website RoadmapPodcast.com, or join the Discord server. And if you’re in the market for a new game, try shopping using our Humble Bundle Partner Link* to give a little back to the show at no extra cost.

References:
George Ziets: A Retrospective On The Mask
Prisoner’s Dilemma
Planescape: Torment
Fallout 2 *
Fallout New Vegas *
Wasteland 2 *
Prey *
Into The Breach *
Subset Games
Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Amnesia *
Legend Of Grim Rock *
Don’t Starve *
Dying Light *
Duskers *
RPG Codex

Fairfax

Last edited by a moderator:

Fairfax

Arcane
moriarty70 has interviewed Chris Avellone: http://roadmappodcast.com/podcast/26-chris-avellone-interview/

Download file | Play in new window | Duration: 1:15:22

The man who doesn’t stop swinging. In this special episode of Digital Roadmap, I sit down for a discussion with veteran game designer Chris Avellone. During our talk we cover everything from the design philosophies of his earlier work with Interplay all the way through his involvment with “Into The Breach” and “Pathfinder: Kingmaker”. Also, check the references for many of the items we discuss.

Remember to connect with us on twitter @roadmappodcast, visit the website RoadmapPodcast.com, or join the Discord server. And if you’re in the market for a new game, try shopping using our Humble Bundle Partner Link* to give a little back to the show at no extra cost.

References:
George Ziets: A Retrospective On The Mask
Prisoner’s Dilemma
Planescape: Torment
Fallout 2 *
Fallout New Vegas *
Wasteland 2 *
Prey *
Into The Breach *
Subset Games
Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Amnesia *
Legend Of Grim Rock *
Don’t Starve *
Dying Light *
Duskers *
RPG Codex

Fairfax
It's the one I posted in the last page. I forgot it was the guy who thanked the Codex, though.

I really wish more podcasts had transcripts available.
It'd be more common if automated audio transcription was any good. YouTube's auto-generated captions are getting better, but AFAIK there's no way to extract them.

Last edited by a moderator:

moriarty70

Novice
I really wish more podcasts had transcripts available.

Even my normal episodes aren't completely scripted. The interviews of course can't be since I don't know the answers before asking. If there's an affordable/free transcription system that's reliable I actually wouldn't mind adding them for the shows. I'll work on rough time stamps to post in the next day or two for quicker listening here.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Feargus just provided some cool feedback to VD’s business update.
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,7530.0.html

Including this, which sounds suspiciously like it’s about MCA:

• Don’t dwell or hold grudges. I see developers at all ends of the spectrum start making bad decisions (me included) and get burned out. This, of course, can be due to long hours and too much crunch time. But, it can also be due the bad decisions or mistakes they have made, or that they have been subject to. If I dwelled on every bad decision I’ve made, I would probably be in the corner whimpering right now. I screwed up, I’m going to screw up again. The thing to focus on is how to do what I do better and let the milk that has been spilled be forgotten. However, it is not to have the attitude “I’m going to show them, and not let them screw me again”. That leads to decisions made for the wrong reasons.

But maybe I’m reading too much into it.

Fairfax

Arcane

Interesting People #27: Chris Avellone on Into The Breach

Some of you may know Chris Avellone from his work on the likes of Fallout 2, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords, Neverwinter Nights 2 and much more. He’s branched out from his RPG stable quite a few times in recent years, and took the time to chat to me about his writing work on Into the Breach, from Faster Than Light creators Subset Games, which launches on Steam tomorrow.

3L9T4hO.png

I see you were credited as "Special quest writer" on FTL. For those not familiar, can you give us a little intro as to who Subset Games are and how you got involved with them?
Chris: Subset Games is two developers – Justin Ma (artist) and Matthew Davis (programmer), although both of them tend to be involved in all parts of a game, not solely art/programming. They do contract out for other roles (Ben Prunty for music, for example).

They’re best known for their work on FTL, which is how I first heard about them. I loved FTL and played it a great deal when it came out (although probably not half as much as other folks I know).

As to how I got involved with them, that’s a funny story: I was in London at a game writer meet-up with a fine fellow, Tom Jubert (who went on to work on Talos Principle). I was chatting with him over beers (since meet-up = at the pub), and eventually he said he had to leave early to finish writing the manual for a game he was working on.

When I asked which game, he said “FTL” and it was like the entire pub went silent to me except for “FTL”. I then told him at great length how much I loved the game – and so much so, I’d love the chance to write on it for free. I figured it wouldn’t go anywhere, BUT a few weeks later, Justin and Matthew dropped me a line to ask if I was serious, and I said, “hell yes.”

And so, I became a guest writer for encounters on the FTL: Advanced Edition, which I’m very proud of. (To give credit where credit is due, Tom did the writing on the core FTL game and most of the writing for the AE as well – I just scripted about 50-60 common, uncommon, and special encounters, if I recall correctly.)

MNawybB.jpg

What was it about Into the Breach that got you interested in being part of this project too? Chris: Justin and Matthew wrote and said “hey, we’re doing something.” I said, “I’d love to.”

I don’t think we even discussed what they were doing initially, it was kind of just a “yes, I like working with these two” sort of thing.

When I learned it was a turn-based monster-bashing time travel strategy game that’s a lot like murder chess except you’re in Mechs bashing skyscraper-sized bugs, that was pretty much just gravy – I hadn’t had much chance to work on turn-based games for a while (this was even before Divinity: Original Sin II work began), so this was a great opportunity to get back to it.

Did you write all of the story, the background of the humans and the Vek, and so on?
Chris: For the background, Justin and Matthew came to me with the pillars of the world (time travel, flooded Earth, corporations, the principles of each corporation – relic preservation/waste disposal/robotics, giant bugs, Mechs, etc. – you know, “the usual”) and they asked if I could work with them to flesh out corporate lore, CEOs of corporations, the individual Mech pilots and their personalities, the pilot voice barks (although they had some of the personalities and pilot barks already done). They were also working with a talented artist I knew from previous projects, Polina Hristova (http://polinadesign.com/) to do the portraits, so it was really nice to work with her again and also see her bring the pilots to life. As if that wasn’t enough, I got to invent alien languages as well. I also think I drove Matthew crazy with User Interface text reviews.

kAZ8ZOA.png

And following on from that, can you please give us a rundown of some of the interesting major players and perhaps what inspired them?
Chris: Sure. Among your allies is Isaac Jones, a temporal breach physicist whose time-jumping research has caused a neural lag in his language centers but allows him to make multiple minor jumps through time on the battlefield (allowing you to reset your moves more often than others). And there’s Gana, an Archive, Inc. construction robot that was retrofitted with combat programming, creating an odd psyche where he’s constantly disciplining and training his components like an army general – and executing those that fail to follow orders.

For the corporate island CEOs, there’s Dewey Alms, the CEO of Archive Inc. who’s sometimes more concerned with preserving the Island’s Old Earth relics than battling the horrid giant bug monstrosities tunneling up beneath his island, and Zenith (designed by Matthew), the benevolent A.I. who runs Pinnacle robotics and cares for all sentient life on her island – machine and biological. She can make you sad about killing robots, which I didn’t think was possible.

4s0H2iE.png

Can you please also describe a little of the writing process on something like Into the Breach, which on the surface doesn't seem quite as narrative-driven a game as many of your past works?
Chris: Sure – so a large part of the writing process on Into the Breach is driven by mission parameters, objectives, and designing scripting calls that refer to gameplay actions and consequences in the mission – not only obvious ones like taking damage (“taking hits here!”), but reacting to more subtle changes on the battlefield but breaking them down so a response makes logical sense.

For example, when pilot reactions to an event may involve carefully designing out an order of perceptions and consequences:

· The pilot killed an enemy (simple, right?). But…
o And that enemy was killed by direct damage (not by blasting it into a mountain or by having another creature knocked back into it)
§ And that enemy could be any enemy type (robot, Vek)
· And it was a single kill (no other enemy died from the direct damage – to explain, in Into the Breach, there’s a lot of weapons that can kill many enemies in many patterns and ways)

Matthew and I worked with this quite a bit, although Matthew was the one that got everything humming along because he is a programmer, and programmers make things “go”.

But even with the elements above, as a designer you have to be careful because then there’s exclusionary conditionals you want for reactions – you don’t want a pilot cheering about a kill on the same turn another pilot dies… or if the pilot cheering also just accidentally or purposely killed that pilot. Or if a building collapsed and civilians died. Or… you get the picture. It creates a many-layered series of scripting conditions to inform the logic of each response and dealing with the most emphatic ones first in a way that makes sense to the player and doesn’t break them out of the experience.

Once the scripting foundation is poured, then the actual writing work begins. That’s when you break things down into how reactive and aware you can make the pilots – one of the ways we do this (again, thanks, Matthew) is by introducing as many “token” calls as we can, within reason.

To explain, “tokens” are language in the writing such as #self_full (Pilot’s name, first and last is said), #self_last (only Pilot’s last name is said),#squad (the player’s squad name), etc. We do this for island types, corporations, pilot names, mech names, etc. and all of that makes the world feel more alive (the following is a bad example of this, but:)

It’s the difference between:
“Good shot, pilot 3!”

vs.

“Good shot, Jones. Doing Archive proud!” (Which would be written as “Good shot, #self_last. Doing #corp proud!”)

Then, once you have the mission specs and the general pilot scripting calls down, then you flesh out what each pilot says, informed by their background and personality. One pilot may not like it when you kill robots, for example (“could we have fixed its programming?”) while another pilot may not give it a second thought (“Zenith can bill me.”). We have some pilots that get upset when you destroy mountains, others that take special glee when you knock an enemy into water to drown – or when an enemy is blasted into a chasm and plummets to their death. Others seem to forget there are civilians in some buildings when the building collapses, others are more concerned about the infrastructure damage, not the bodies.

Overall, it’s a fun process that requires a lot of iteration to see the voice barks play out in-game and see if they “feel” correct. We spent a lot of time getting these right.

e5yY8JY.png

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the nature of this game one where your writing is going to be far more linear than the branching conversations and story pathlines we've seen from a lot of your earlier work?
Chris: It’s not a linear story game - nor a story game at all, which is a change of pace for me. The writing is there to inform the aesthetic and feel of the world, and the pilot language is focused on events transpiring in the game with window views into the individual pilot backstories coming out over time (no pun intended).

It was both a challenge and a lot of fun. One point worthy of note is we purposely chose not to go “grimdark” with the lore and personalities, so it has a lighter feel to it, which was a nice writing change of pace for me (I’d been doing dark stuff for a long time, and you can get lost in that stuff).

So, you're freelancing now and you have been involved in a number of quite varied games over the last few years. What can you say about the decision to branch out of the RPGs you became known for? I read what you had to say in the Rolling Stone interview from March last year - it's been almost a year since then, so how is that all going?
Chris: It’s going great. I suppose part of the reason I branch out is because I don’t only like role-playing games, I like a bunch of genres, I just didn’t have much opportunity to work on them in the past… now that’s all changed.

Even more importantly, I felt the need to branch out because I wanted to see how other genres utilize narrative – writing for other genres I think will ultimately improve my RPG writing and my overall game writing, whether it’s because of new techniques, tools, text editors, story pipelines, visual storytelling, or even simply the design and writing production approaches various companies use.

W1vEdBv.png

What's a typical day in the life of a freelance game writer look like? Are you doing all of your work remotely? Are you still in your pyjamas..?
Chris: It’s 90% remote (it has to be – part of it is family obligations, typical life stuff that happens as life goes along).

I wish I could say I live some sort of glamorous writing life, but it’s like you say… I tumble out of bed in the morning, write, write, write, realize it’s dark out, then I go to sleep. I love it.

I see you're also busy on System Shock and still working on Pathfinder: Kingmaker (or have you completed your work on these two already?) , which we discussed last year. Are you taking on more freelance work in 2018?
Chris: Yes, there’s a number of projects in the works (I wish I could say what they were!), and I’m always on the look out for new projects, especially if it’s people, genres, franchises, or toolsets I’ve never worked with (trying to broaden my horizons). I’ve gotten the chance to work with a number of people I’ve always wanted to work with in the industry so far along with a number of other franchises, and I couldn’t have done that working full-time at one place, so I’m especially happy about that.

Of the titles I’ve been working on, I just finished up Divinity: Original Sin II (another turn-based game, and it was very well-received – kudos to Larian), I’ve been working on Wasteland 3, and I helped out Burden of Command with empathy mechanics - to explain, Burden of Command is a WW2 game, but in a nice shift in the genre, it’s about being a leader of a squad and having to deal with the emotional pressure of being in command and doing the best you can to accomplish your mission and protect your soldiers on the battlefield at the same time. I think I learned more on that project than I did creating systems for it (which is a pretty good deal as far as I’m concerned).

Aside from design and writing, I also do script work for some titles, editing for others, story consulting, and even translations every once in a while (all of this is just for fun and plus, I need to refine my editing skills – I’ve learned a lot of errors I’ve been making over the years as a result, so doing editing has improved my craft for sure).

78Po1pq.png

So, if people are interested in reaching out to have you work on their project, what's the best means of getting hold of you?
Chris: CAvellone, then slap gmail.com on the end. I get a new request almost every 3 days, and while I can’t help everyone, I usually can direct you to another writer who’s (1) likely better than me and (2) better for your project, too.

If you have something simple to ask, Twitter’s usually the best (@chrisavellone, and you don’t need to Direct Message me, you can just ask in the feed – this helps if someone else has the same question, too). And if you want to add Subset Games to those you follow on Twitter, they’re @subsetgames.

And in closing, I always like to ask this one... what have you been playing over the last 6 months or so that has really impressed you?
Chris: I play a lot of Dungeon Boss (even though Solaris, the Phoenix hero, is one of the evilest characters ever created, both to fight and use on your team), I played a LOT of Into the Breach (as of last week, I got the final achievement [no cheats], I logged about 230+ hours playing it). I also was playing a lot of Darkest Dungeon but I got pissed at it last week when my best party (and worse, their best equipment) was wiped out, so I think I’m going to shelve it and play something more relaxing for a while. : ) Still, I think DD’s a great game, I like the ambiance, the character archetypes, and how those archetypes play out in the game mechanics (esp. the Abomination).

Another huge thanks to Chris for taking the time to answer all these questions. Learn more about Into the Breach on the official page, or pick it up on Steam when it launches tomorrow (27 February 2018)!

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
It’s 90% remote (it has to be – part of it is family obligations, typical life stuff that happens as life goes along).

Reminder: The Codex has grief counselors on hand if you still can't get over MCA marrying someone other than you.

Fairfax

Arcane
This doesn't look very interesting. Has anyone tried it out? Knows what it is about?
It's great, I'm having a blast. It's hard to explain it, though. I'd recommend watching some gameplay or just giving it a try. The refund period is more than enough to see what the game is about.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
It's over Soydex.

It's known that Avellone is a shitlib, but now it's confirmed he is a literal soyboy. Avellone cucks BTFO. HOW WILL THEY EVER RECOVER FROM THIS?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Is he in such need for money that he is advertising soypower? Maybe we should make a profile in buy a mug of coffee to MCA.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Maybe he's just trying to lose the fat without losing the muscle? :M

Still, even Ensure or Slim Fast would be more dignified.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
"Save the neat stuff for DLCs" is like an extreme exaggeration of the Josh plan

Use less complex scripting in quest scenarios and stage the development of quests in a more progressive fashion. I.e. start by implementing the A-priority, bare-bones, 100% solid scenario for everything first. Only after everything is in at A-priority does mad experimentation begin. The advantage to this is that if your mad experiments turn out to be completely idiotic experiments, you still have an A-priority path that, if arguably a little bland, still works as designed and isn't going to blow up in the player's face.

Starting with a scenario that is a complex Fabergé egg sets up a difficult task. If anything goes wrong, you're stuck with a non-functional scenario that's reliant on something that you can't immediately resolve. Both backing up or pushing forward can result in more problems and potentially wasted time. And if it somehow magically gets working, you really won't know how robust it is until it's tested thoroughly, which may be months away.

I imagine most people here would disagree with them both, but Josh's is more favorable to the player. :M

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
FNV DLCs suggest otherwise. +M
..? I'm saying it's better to have interesting sidequests in the initial thing you buy instead of having to pay extra for them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom