Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Turn-Based Tactics Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden - now with Seed of Evil expansion

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.mutantyearzero.com

https://af.gog.com/game/mutant_year_zero_road_to_eden?as=1649904300
https://af.gog.com/game/mutant_year_zero_seed_of_evil?as=1649904300

COMING TO PC, XBOX ONE, & PLAYSTATION 4 in 2018! Developed by The Bearded Ladies, published by Funcom. http://www.mutantyearzero.com

Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden is a tactical adventure game combining the turn-based combat of XCOM with story, exploration, stealth, and strategy. Take control of a team of Mutants navigating a post-human Earth. Created by a team including former HITMAN leads and the designer of PAYDAY.

• TACTICAL COMBAT: Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden is the ultimate fix for your tactical strategy addiction. Dive into a deep, turn-based, tactical combat system inspired by the XCOM games.

• EXPLORE A POST-HUMAN EARTH: Journey through a post-human world of abandoned cities, crumbling highways, and overgrown countryside. Check back at the Ark, a neon-bathed oasis of ill repute and questionable characters, to restock your supplies and plan out your next adventure.

• CONTROL A TEAM OF MUTANTS: A duck with an attitude problem and a boar with anger issues; these aren’t your typical heroes. Get to know Dux, Bormin, Selma, and many other characters each with their own unique personality and deranged perspective on the world and their situation.

• MASTER THE STEALTHY APPROACH: Sneak through shadows to avoid conflict or to catch enemies unaware. Real-time stealth allows you full control of approach: sneak into an enemy camp, position the team of Mutants to your advantage, and gain the element of surprise.

• UNLOCK MUTATIONS: Unlock new mutations and abilities for your Mutants, such as Selma’s Stoneskin, Bormin’s Charge, and Dux‘ uncanny ability to sneak into a camp full of enemies unnoticed, despite being a 4-foot tall walking, talking duck with a crossbow.

• DYNAMIC ENVIRONMENTS: Use the environment to your advantage. Stay out of floodlights, hide from line of sight, or just blast down fully destructible walls and buildings and wreak utter havoc.

• LOOT, LOOT EVERYWHERE: From makeshift slingshots to high-powered rifles and top hats to police vests, make sure you equip your Mutants for the dangers ahead. Nothing says post-human quite like a mutated boar in spiked metal armor charging at you with a blunderbuss in his hands.

They seem to be avoiding using the term "RPG".

Last edited by a moderator:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
As kids say these days NANI the fuck? Could be interesting, though.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

They don't want Skyrim fans to buy it and then leave bad reviews because the combat is turn based. Whoever heard of such a thing as a turn based RPG? Crazy talk.

"We thought we were getting an RPG like Fallout 4 with Duckman, but every time you fight it turns into a snooze fest, wah wah wah."

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

They don't want Skyrim fans to buy it and then leave bad reviews because the combat is turn based. Whoever heard of such a thing as a turn based RPG? Crazy talk.

"We thought we were getting an RPG like Fallout 4 with Duckman, but every time you fight it turns into a snooze fest, wah wah wah."

I was thinking maybe it's because there's no character creation.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Well I highly prefer to create my party (full pregen is not worse than creating exactly one character+pregens though'), but the game still looks like a full-fledge RPG to me.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Fun fact: The owner of the Mutant tabletop RPG license is the LA-based Cabinet Entertainment, formerly known as Paradox Entertainment - the parent company of Paradox Interactive until 2004. Funny that now both of the Paradoxes own tabletop franchises.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Wow, that looks surprisingly good. I saw in this screen that it cost 1 AP to move, but I can't tell if this is a real AP system, or a nuCOM / Phoenix Point move-and-shoot 2 AP style system.

ss_d910daa84f95ed073c082b209f90720e394731b6.1920x1080.jpg

The green bars are health, fyi.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
If it's really the reason why they're not calling it an RPG then it's really backwards when in the same time any action game with a health bar is called an RPG.
"You" as there's a special one is
decline.png
. Small group of adventurers exploring, killing shit in tactical combat, getting new abilities and stuff is purest form of RPG.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Watched the trailer now. The music immediately caught my attention. LOL!

Silva

Arcane
I don't get the furries. We played the tabletop version and there isn't a single animal bullshit like that. Also, the original premise fits better a survival+base management game than a tactical combat one.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

There seems to be using levels, at least for the enemies, as seen in the screenshot. So it's odd they are choosing not to talk about RPGs, since, in my opinion, once you have character levels in a game, it's a RPG, without any regards to the style of the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom