Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How often do you play as the asshole in RPGs?

SwiftCrack

Arcane
Not very often except in KOTOR and Mass Effect where evil has my preference.

Never did Shitlord Protocol, good idea

Ocelot

Learned
I am playing as righteous individual which makes me act and/or be seen by games as evil asshole; for example Choosing Zerka and General Vaklu in KOTOR2 or becoming Emperor in Jade Empire or Sympathizing with Leaden Key or Theodias in PoE. Not my fault that game developers are in majority libruls and that their vision of goodness is opaque or nonsensical like giving planet to herd of hippie weaklings so it will be bombed the moment I left or making Onderon open borders and multiculti or allowing country to shatter and fall to anarchy etc... :hero:

I'm currently replaying KOTOR 2 for the first time, this time not as a good guy Jedi and I'm currently on Telos, where you have to either side with the Ithorians or the Czerka. Politics aside, the Ithorian idea of restoring the planet is dumb if you really think about it objectively. Yes, Czerka is a ruthless corp but they have a point; to restore Telos, you must have a financial incentive, otherwise you are 'wasting Galactic funds" and the planet may not be restored after all. Even on my 1st playthrough as a proper Jedi I still sided with Czerka iirc because even a Jedi would recognize the futility of their actions.

Also because, let's face it, Ithorians are absolutely disgusting, vomit-spewing aliens that deserve to be eradicated from the face of the galaxy. And Czerka actually gives you some incentive to side with them right away.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
cgmz7mm.jpg

Mustawd

Not very often play as an asshole. A lot of times I play a very neutral character. Not goodie two shoes or asshole. So I play myself I guess.

Like IRL I pirate stuff, so in RPGs I also steal shit when no one is looking.

SpoilVictor

Educated
Not very often too. Partly 'cause not every RPG handles well evil/bad playstyle. And if game lets me kill as I see fit I rarely find that amusing in RPG, I have GTA or something like that to go on the rampage.

But sometimes it is refreshing - like my DAO dalish (elves from forest was dalish right?) elf:
He hated humans and desecrated corpse of their saint, he hated his own tribe so he got them slaughtered by werewolves, he did something awful with city elves - I can't remember what it was. DAO wasn't bad in that regard.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Not very often play as an asshole. A lot of times I play a very neutral character. Not goodie two shoes or asshole. So I play myself I guess.

Like IRL I pirate stuff, so in RPGs I also steal shit when no one is looking.
If you can't steal everything that isn't nailed down,it is not an rpg :obviously:. That is why i like Elder Scroll thieving gameplay.

Lurker47

Savant
Playing a good guy tends to be more unique in a lot of cases imo. Getting fucked over in some way tends to be more fun and interesting than being the one who fucks someone over. Though a good evil option is appreciated every now and then.

zool

Arcane
Regarding the lack of attractivity for evil paths, in addition to the stupid "evil for no reason / for lulz" design and writing, it's also often due to the fact that you get more reward for playing the good guy than the bad guy. In the BG series for example, you'd always be well advised to refuse to ask payment for a quest, which will often end up with the quest giver praising your generosity and offering you a magic item worth 10 times more than the 500 gold coins you would have had if you asked for payment.

Evil choices should be enticing to the player because they allow him to get much more loot / gold than if he had played the good guy. I still don't understand why developers don't tempt the player that way - that would require some real moral strength on the part of the player to stay on the good path, while he is tempted at every occasion to at least ask for payment (if the game has a tough economy, which it should) and by the perspective of getting powerful items he wouldn't get otherwise.

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Does stealing anything that's not nailed down and killing hundreds of monsters count as evil? If not, then I'm a paragon of goodness

Regarding evil/good options, usually the good ones, as they give you the most exp/gold/items. Evil options are usually retarded and not worth much.

Also, reactions to doing evil stuff is so rote and simpleminded that's its rarely fun in games, once games reach a level of reactivity where I'll feel like my evil options actually make simulated counterparts horrified at what I've done, I'm all in.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't think there are many games with a good evil path. I don't enjoy playing the crazy psychopath that most RPGs simplistic morals prescribe as evil path.

The two games that I played that did evil best were Age of Decadence and Tyranny.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Regarding the lack of attractivity for evil paths, in addition to the stupid "evil for no reason / for lulz" design and writing, it's also often due to the fact that you get more reward for playing the good guy than the bad guy. In the BG series for example, you'd always be well advised to refuse to ask payment for a quest, which whill often end up with the quest giver praising your generosity and offering you a magic item worth 10 times more than the 500 gold coins you would have had if you asked for payment.

Evil choices should be enticing to the player because they allow him to get much more loot / gold than if he had played the good guy. I still don't understand why developers don't tempt the player that way - that would require some real moral strength on the part of the player to stay on the good path, while he is tempted at every occasion to at least ask for payment (if the game has a tough economy, which it should) and by the perspective of getting powerful items he wouldn't get otherwise.

I think one big problem of moral choices is that in most cases the consequences are immediate, instead of being delayed to a much later point. That allows for save scumming or similar tactics, and you can easily see that the goody-two-shoes option is usually the best one.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
In BG1, the overpowered evil companions are much more valuable than the measly gold anyone can give you for going good. I don't even know if there's a good option with a better outcome in terms of reward. At the top of my head, you can refuse to give the necklace to the guy in Beregost and then sell it; you can lie to the fat guy in Nashkel about the emeralds from Ellessime's statue and sell them for a lot more; and you don't get a quest in Sorcerous Sundries if you have low rep. I don't know if you lose experience for keeping the items when you talk to the quest givers, though.

I tend to play the good guy, but not the cuck soi boy as the libruls would like every1 to be. So some of the resonable decisions are treated as being evil.

In jade empire in a certian cave u can encourage a slave to kill her former master. and bam cuck sjw writer decides it is so evil and yuge shift to pc aligment. so retarded.

In kotor2 the hippie vs corp i picked corp cause it made more sense. the hippes will waste the jew credits on weed anyways.

in motb devouring myrkul is so evil. that half dead arrogant prock acts as of ots birthright to make the pc go thrpugh all the shit well fuck you.

Same to the founder too. fuck you bitch rest in my pc's stomach for cursing the pc.

Oh and rest of the pantheon for allowing the hunger curse of akachi to infect the pc after all the shit he went thru the shadow king, fuck you all too. My pc will keep the power of the curse permanently.

This is not evil at all. This is Karma.

Darkzone

Arcane
Arn't you playing evil in every cRPG? Since when is killing hordes of beings a good thing or stealing everything from different drawers or simple enter someone's home to loot his/her cabinet?
While killing and stealing are the most obvious sins, the most vicious character traits that create the sins are pride (Superbia), greed (Avaritia) and ignorance (Acedia).

Sranchammer

Arcane
Vatnik
Arn't you playing evil in every cRPG? Since when is killing hordes of beings a good thing or stealing everything from different drawers or simple enter someone's home to loot his/her cabinet?
While killing and stealing are the most obvious sins, the most vicious character traits that create the sins are pride (Superbia), greed (Avaritia) and ignorance (Acedia).

Sounds like you have the plot of a decent RPG

RatTower

Arcane
Developer
Normally I like to play what D&D called "Lawful Evil", so generally destructive characters, but bound to a codex of strict rules.
Basically like the Hammerites in Thief. Unfortunately there are barely any games that have such options. Mostly because it doesn't sit well with most stories.
Might try Tyranny.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I tend to play the good guy, but not the cuck soi boy as the libruls would like every1 to be. So some of the resonable decisions are treated as being evil.

In jade empire in a certian cave u can encourage a slave to kill her former master. and bam cuck sjw writer decides it is so evil and yuge shift to pc aligment. so retarded.

In kotor2 the hippie vs corp i picked corp cause it made more sense. the hippes will waste the jew credits on weed anyways.

in motb devouring myrkul is so evil. that half dead arrogant prock acts as of ots birthright to make the pc go thrpugh all the shit well fuck you.

Same to the founder too. fuck you bitch rest in my pc's stomach for cursing the pc.

Oh and rest of the pantheon for allowing the hunger curse of akachi to infect the pc after all the shit he went thru the shadow king, fuck you all too. My pc will keep the power of the curse permanently.

This is not evil at all. This is Karma.
It is stupid when devs try to push their own bullshit morality in the alignment system. I still didn't devour any spirits in the motb,more of principle than being good. And ended up killing all the women companions because they were retarded bitches. As if i am not going to take righteous vengeance on the cloned whore that ripped me open and put a creature inside me. Or i would chose to tear down a wall of suffering made for the godless curs! Also just put back the spirit of the retarded cunt that was fucking me over.

Ocelot

Learned

Not sure if these should count since almost all RPGs are designed to have combat and item interaction in them. And, besides, you just kill tons of people for the "good" cause, right?

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I am playing as righteous individual which makes me act and/or be seen by games as evil asshole; for example Choosing Zerka and General Vaklu in KOTOR2 or becoming Emperor in Jade Empire or Sympathizing with Leaden Key or Theodias in PoE. Not my fault that game developers are in majority libruls and that their vision of goodness is opaque or nonsensical like giving planet to herd of hippie weaklings so it will be bombed the moment I left or making Onderon open borders and multiculti or allowing country to shatter and fall to anarchy etc... :hero:

I'm currently replaying KOTOR 2 for the first time, this time not as a good guy Jedi and I'm currently on Telos, where you have to either side with the Ithorians or the Czerka. Politics aside, the Ithorian idea of restoring the planet is dumb if you really think about it objectively. Yes, Czerka is a ruthless corp but they have a point; to restore Telos, you must have a financial incentive, otherwise you are 'wasting Galactic funds" and the planet may not be restored after all. Even on my 1st playthrough as a proper Jedi I still sided with Czerka iirc because even a Jedi would recognize the futility of their actions.

Also because, let's face it, Ithorians are absolutely disgusting, vomit-spewing aliens that deserve to be eradicated from the face of the galaxy. And Czerka actually gives you some incentive to side with them right away.
Ithorians are cute and I felt bad for them so I sided with them even as a bad guy.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

Not sure if these should count since almost all RPGs are designed to have combat and item interaction in them. And, besides, you just kill tons of people for the "good" cause, right?

Its do not murder not kill in Decalogue; of course we do live in times when preventing sodomites from tainting the youth minds and souls by propagand is considered immoral act so no big surprise people confuse commandments with Hippie Diarrhea coming from mouth of Arch Heretic Francisco and such. Its also not stealing when taking items put by game devs in not locked up or guarded arena; its scavenging. If someone in Fallout do tell me to not touch his stuff or leave the room i do so. But again we live in times whe some consider copying stealing too.

Ocelot

Learned

Ithorians are cute and I felt bad for them so I sided with them even as a bad guy.

Can't see how they are cute, it's like humans with no mouths who are trying to speak while they drown in water. Their posture makes my whole body hurt. And they aren't as benevolent as they are naive. My current character has high persuasion and fooling them is like taking candy from a baby. With that being said, I'm not sure if I should feel good or bad about them because every single "baddie" quest is somehow related to Ithorian suffering. Creepy fucking creatures.

Its do not murder not kill in Decalogue; of course we do live in times when preventing sodomites from tainting the youth minds and souls by propagand is considered immoral act so no big surprise people confuse commandments with Hippie Diarrhea coming from mouth of Arch Heretic Francisco and such. Its also not stealing when taking items put by game devs in not locked up or guarded arena; its scavenging. If someone in Fallout do tell me to not touch his stuff or leave the room i do so. But again we live in times whe some consider copying stealing too.

Maybe explain to us what a commandment is first?

Falksi

Arcane
I always play as natural as possible, so just go with whatever answer feels the best.

It defo ends up with me leaning more towards good answers, but I'll gladly kick back or be an asshole if it feels right.

You can't beat those moral choices which really leave you on edge as which way to go. I wish we would see more where you develop companion friendships, but get faced with a choice where said companion friendships force difficult choices of siding with your companion & foreiting an objective, or executing said companion to achieve it etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom