Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I came up with following composition, and am wondering if the game is doable with this. I'd like to avoid situation when mid game this turns out to be unredeemable disaster that will make things unbearable:

Lizardmen fighter - don't have any ideas what to multi him to.
Rawulf fighter>lord
Human bard>mage
Felpurr thief>samurai
Human priest>valk
Faerie alchemist>ninja

Is this build viable, or do I have to throw some other classes here and there? If possible, I'd like to stick to 2 classes max for each char. Just for RPing purposes, I'd like to avoid having some clowns like thief/priest/ranger/ninja etc.

That's a pretty good choice. The Bard is quite powerful in the early game and Alchemist is the best spellcaster for much of the game as well.

Personally, I prefer all or most of the characters having the ability to hide by the late game, or at least the three in the front row. Ninjas and Monks are also surprsingly effective at unarmed combat up until the mid-to-late game, so that having those can partially solve the problem of shitty weapons early on. So maybe I'd change the Lizardman fighter to a ninja.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Thanks for the tips Lady d: - )

Just to be sure I won't fuck myself over - can characters with ninjutsu attack from back row without reach weapons after successful hide in shadows?

I'm used to Wiz 8 formation gimmicks. Here it's just 3 front row + 3 back row, and I dunno if the latter 3 should be just casters + valk with spear.

Piotrovitz

Savant
If they can't, then faerie ninja with cane of corpus in the back would be pretty useless and would be better to dual her into bishop.

Will switch my current thief to back row and see if it works.

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
Do you need the Thermal Pineapple? I haven't got one at Ukpyr. Where can I find it? I killed every Umpani including Yamo.

Dorateen

Arcane
Thought Yamo gives you the pineapple. So you might be out of luck. You "need" it to do something in another area. But you don't need it to complete the game. Although using it is very satisfying.

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
What is the required character level for casting spells without fizzle?
My Level37 ninja frequently has a fizzle casting a Level5 Asphyxiate spell. He has 100 Alchemy skill.
Or is there always a chance to fizzling?

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
After meeting Barlone I met Ratsputin and he want the 20% of my gold, like supporting the family! What? I. will. not.pay.

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
Of course when I went back to Barlone he was very angry. I betrayed the family! I had to kill him :)

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
I gave H'jenn Ra-nak the *BOAT* map, her next quest is to kill the savants and do not return??? But then how I will get my reward?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
x1JkUA.jpg

first hit on big bad boss

instant kill

:lol:

the rapax army was such a murderfest with all these instant kills in general :lol:

Eggs is eggs

Learned
So in Wiz8 is your party formed in 2 columns of 4 people each? Or is there no concept of position and that's just how the character stats are laid out on the screen? Like in the older Wizardries when you had 6 characters I always assumed that you had 2 rows of 3 people each, the front row and back row.

Like:

1 2 3
4 5 6

Whereas Wiz8 seems to have it like

1 2
3 4
5 6
7 8

Or maybe they surround the monsters in the middle?

1......the.........2
3...monsters...4
5.....are in......6
7.......here......8

Or maybe they're just an amorphous blob. It is a blobber afterall.

V_K

Arcane
Any other blobber ever did formations like Wiz 8?
I think the closest thing is the poistioning grid in Ishar, it had something like 5x5 rows and columns - although I don't quite know how it responded to attacks for the side/behind.
Some other blobbers experimented with formations too. Off the top of my head, Amberstar/Ambermoon/Albion had a micro combat grid, and Lords of Xulima had horisontal dimension (i.e. you character on the right fland couldn't hit an enemy on the left flang.

DraQ

Arcane
So in Wiz8 is your party formed in 2 columns of 4 people each? Or is there no concept of position and that's just how the character stats are laid out on the screen? Like in the older Wizardries when you had 6 characters I always assumed that you had 2 rows of 3 people each, the front row and back row.

Like:

1 2 3
4 5 6

Whereas Wiz8 seems to have it like

1 2
3 4
5 6
7 8

Or maybe they surround the monsters in the middle?

1......the.........2
3...monsters...4
5.....are in......6
7.......here......8

Or maybe they're just an amorphous blob. It is a blobber afterall.
Wizardry 8 has five positions - center and four sectors corresponding to forward, left, right, and rear - each housing between 0 and 3 characters that also have individual facing. Enemies can enter unoccupied sectors while some melee weapons have extended range allowing them to reach across adjacent sector.
So you can, for example, leave your point empty and spread more than 3 melee characters across middle and flanks to create strong, hard-hitting line (preferably with some extended range weapons in the middle to be able to assist flanks when, well, flanked), or put fragile casters and ranged attackers in the rear, and main melee guys on the point to prevent extended reach enemies from mutilating the casters while engaged by melee types. And you can change formation between turns as well, so, for example when one of the guys in your strong line with empty point gets knocked out, you can move characters to the point to physically shield him from getting murderkilled.

Wintermute

Augur
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign

So in Wiz8 is your party formed in 2 columns of 4 people each?

Positioning in wiz8 is shown in the sectored circle in the middle of the minimap, and in the enlarged circle on the other side, which also shows facing. It has no relation to the order of the characters on the sides of the screen. Each colored dot corresponds to that color character. Also, you can change positions at anytime during a round, and it'll update at the end of the round (if the character is able to move, that is)

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
It is, and definitely comes in handy. Despite this, generally once you've found a solid formation for your party I have a tendency to stick with it and rarely change it unless special circumstances require it.
It's functional and quite unique to the game, which makes me wish it had more use.

kmonster

Augur
Alright, I'm getting back to Wiz 7 - tried it like decade ago, but got sidetracked by some life events pretty fast and never got far.

Never played anything other than Wiz 8, and from I've gathered, multiclassing is absolutely a must in earlier ones.

You've gathered crappy advice, the game was made with pure class characters in mind, the official cluebook mentions class switching only as possibility if you cannot roll stats high enough to get your desired class/race combo and the solutions printed in the computer gaming magazines used pure class parties too.

I came up with following composition, and am wondering if the game is doable with this. I'd like to avoid situation when mid game this turns out to be unredeemable disaster that will make things unbearable:

Lizardmen fighter - don't have any ideas what to multi him to.
Rawulf fighter>lord
Human bard>mage
Felpurr thief>samurai
Human priest>valk
Faerie alchemist>ninja

Is this build viable, or do I have to throw some other classes here and there? If possible, I'd like to stick to 2 classes max for each char. Just for RPing purposes, I'd like to avoid having some clowns like thief/priest/ranger/ninja etc.

The game is doable with your party. The first two characters would be more powerful if you started them in their final class (no matter which class it is) and third character would be more powerful at the end if stayed pure bard but if you want to do so for roleplaying reasons it's ok.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
QRYJWZ.jpg

This concludes Wizardry 8, Oriental Beatdown Edition.

A shame, this might have been the most hilarious party I've ever played. But all good things must come to an end.

Piotrovitz

Savant
You've gathered crappy advice, the game was made with pure class characters in mind, the official cluebook mentions class switching only as possibility if you cannot roll stats high enough to get your desired class/race combo and the solutions printed in the computer gaming magazines used pure class parties too.
So sticking to pure classes in 7 and going multi only with obvious combos like priest>valk shouldn't give me hard times?
Boosting magic skills and spellbook swapping aside, I'm more wondering if having frontline melees without ninjutsu is a good idea later on.

This concludes Wizardry 8, Oriental Beatdown Edition.
Crap, this just makes me want to replay Wiz 8 with some oddball party too :&
Eternal brofist if the Lo Pan is a reference to big trouble in little china haha

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom