Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

PorkBarrellGuy

>Posts video about a VR game he seemingly enjoyed
>Channers go "Crowbcat is a shill, Crowbcat is over"
>Gets bullied into deleting the video
>Reuploads video shitting on VR 3 days later instead
>"I...I wanna be one of the cool guys, guyz! Look I can still shit on stuff, I... I totally didn't enjoy it or anything!"

The state of edgy contrarian YouTube shitposters.

The funny thing about any given *chan imageboard is that you can't make a thread about a specific video game without being called a shill. The word has been abused to the point of losing its meaning on /v/. Intelligent discourse about games on /v/ is fucking impossible because of this.

Tehdagah

Arcane

>"I...I wanna be one of the cool guys, guyz! Look I can still shit on stuff, I... I totally didn't enjoy it or anything!"

If he really deleted the video then he's an idiot who only cares about getting "gamer points".

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
News from cvv's favorite website: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...twork-has-been-bought-by-pax-operator-reedpop

Eurogamer's parent company Gamer Network has been bought by PAX operator ReedPOP

Big news for Eurogamer today: after 18 years as an independent, our parent company Gamer Network has been acquired by ReedPOP. ReedPOP is an American events company that, among other things, owns and operates the PAX gaming events that Eurogamer readers will surely be familiar with. (I've included the full press release announcing this news below.)

The most important thing you, as Eurogamer readers, need to know about this deal is that Eurogamer is not going to change. We will still cover video games in exactly the same way, to the same depth as we do now. Our editorial policies won't change and nor will our independent spirit. Our team of editors, writers and video producers isn't changing at all. Nor are the tech, sales and management teams who make what we do possible. And the website isn't going to change. (Actually, that last one is a lie - the website totally is going to change, but more on that later.)

As you might expect, it was our EGX events that brought us to ReedPOP's attention. But the ReedPOP team is 100 per cent committed to our digital media business (which is a businessy way of saying our websites and YouTube channels), too. Just as we, over a decade ago, figured that the online communities we'd built around our websites might want to meet up in the real world to play games, ReedPOP wants to find ways to talk to the communities it has built around its events outside of those events. It reckons our websites and video channels provide a great model for how to do that, so it wants to keep them and expand on them. It's also worth pointing out that we aren't merging with another editorial team with an existing vision that might conflict with ours. We will stay true to our values, and our vision will serve as the model for more expansion elsewhere.

All this is equally true of our sister sites and channels: Digital Foundry, Rock Paper Shotgun, Outside Xbox and Xtra, GamesIndustry, VG24/7, USgamer, the European versions of Eurogamer, Metabomb and more. EGX Rezzed and EGX will go ahead this year in the same venues, and they'll still be called EGX Rezzed and EGX. (And hey, did you hear about EGX Berlin, too?)

All of us will continue to do what we do in the way that we do it - with some additional muscle behind us. We're all ambitious to expand, and ReedPOP has resources we don't. Apart from anything else, as a US company, it gives us a stronger base in North America.

One reason that I'm able to say all this is that the events and media arms of our business are equally successful and strong. And we owe that success to you, for reading our stories, watching our videos, following our channels, chatting in our comments and forums, and coming to our events. Thank you! You are what makes Eurogamer Eurogamer, just as much as we are.

That's not to say that this isn't a big change for us. Until today, Gamer Network - the company formerly known as Eurogamer Network - has been a family business. Our founder Rupert Loman's parents sat on the board, and we had our annual company party in their back garden, savouring their delicious pulled pork rolls next to the modest home extension that served as the company's first office. We've all loved working for the Lomans, and we know you'll join us in thanking them for building such a unique business, such great publications and events, and such a fun place to work. I'm delighted that Rupert - who some of you in the community will know by his forum handle, 'rauper' - is staying on with ReedPOP and Gamer Network after this deal to lead us into the next chapter.

About that next chapter. A couple of other big things are going on here that you might want to know about.

First - and of less relevance to you really, but I wanted to brag about it - we've moved offices, only we haven't. We've taken over all three floors of the building in central Brighton that we previously occupied the top floor of, and are in the middle of completely refurbishing the whole thing to our spec. Included in the build are such luxuries as more than one meeting room, a kitchen with windows, carpet that isn't an eye-watering shade of Eurogamer blue, two dedicated video studios, and toilet cubicles named after Quake 2 maps. It's actually all very cool and very grown-up (apart from the toilets) and is intended to be our future-proofed HQ for many years to come. We started in on this project before the acquisition, but ReedPOP has been more than happy to commit to keeping us in Brighton in the long term.

Secondly, I'm very pleased to announce that the extremely long-awaited, not to say overdue, redesign of Eurogamer is now only weeks away from launch after many months of development. It won't be a radical change - the homepage layout will look pretty familiar at first glance, for example - but it's still a complete overhaul of every element of the site and, considering the site you're looking at now was launched all the way back in 2011, it will still feel like quite a big leap. We think it provides a massively improved reading experience and I can't wait to share it with you. (And yes - portable view is back.)

So, it's all change here. Only it's not, because Eurogamer's mission - to bring you the best video games coverage with integrity and without compromise - remains the same, and has the same team behind it. We hope you'll join us as we start this next chapter. Exciting times!

"EGX Rezzed and EGX will go ahead this year". They better not fuck up the layout too much, it's probably the main reason I read.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Open source re-implementation of Little Big Adventure 2 (Twinsen's Odyssey), written in JavaScript (uh-oh!): https://github.com/agrande/lba2remake

A LBA2 / Twinsen's Odyssey reimplementation in JavaScript / Three.js / React

Live demo (or Editor mode)

Vision / goals
  • Reimplement the LBA2 game engine
    • Should look and play like the original
    • Full re-engineering instead of dissassembly-based approach
    • Focus on code quality, make it easy to read and modify
  • Build a remastered version of the game
    • Improve graphics and gameplay in a way that preserves the original look & feel
    • More of a HD-version than a remake
  • Become a platform for modding (editor-mode)
    • Progressively add tools to the editor to support mods
    • Have all tools grouped in a single integrated platform
    • Leverage web technologies to enable fast and flexible multi-platform development

Looks pretty smooth, but it's not quite complete yet.

Apparently the Dalai Lama is from http://www.audionerdz.com instead of some Civilization-like game. (I know you thought so as well. Just look at it)

Delay Lama is a freeware VST-instrument, available for both PC and Macintosh platforms.

Delay Lama is the first VST-instrument to offer both vocal synthesis and a real-time animated 3D interface. Its advanced monophonic vocal synthesis engine enables your computer to sound just like an Eastern monk, with real-time, high resolution control over the vowel sound. What's more, the plug-in window displays a 3D animation of a singing monk, that reacts directly to your input!

In addition, Delay Lama offers a simple but effective built-in stereo delay (you've guessed it), to give it just that extra bit of impressiveness.

The instrument can be controlled either with a MIDI keyboard, in which case the pitchbender acts as a vowel manipulator, or with the built-in XY-controller, which allows simultaneous control over both the pitch and the vowel sound. Other controls include the portamento speed and the level of the delayed signal. All parameters are controllable via MIDI, and all incoming events are handled with sample-accuracy.

:avatard:

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

The funny thing about any given *chan imageboard is that you can't make a thread about a specific video game without being called a shill. The word has been abused to the point of losing its meaning on /v/. Intelligent discourse about games on /v/ is fucking impossible because of this.
0e138fb17b.jpg

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
News from cvv's favorite website: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...twork-has-been-bought-by-pax-operator-reedpop

Eurogamer's parent company Gamer Network has been bought by PAX operator ReedPOP

Big news for Eurogamer today: after 18 years as an independent, our parent company Gamer Network has been acquired by ReedPOP. ReedPOP is an American events company that, among other things, owns and operates the PAX gaming events that Eurogamer readers will surely be familiar with. (I've included the full press release announcing this news below.)

The most important thing you, as Eurogamer readers, need to know about this deal is that Eurogamer is not going to change. We will still cover video games in exactly the same way, to the same depth as we do now. Our editorial policies won't change and nor will our independent spirit. Our team of editors, writers and video producers isn't changing at all. Nor are the tech, sales and management teams who make what we do possible.

If you've read my wall o' text on Retro Gamer, then you know what's gonna happen here. Eurogamer is gonna change. In every way.

Not that I care really, but just giving you a heads-up.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist

How does someone bully you online?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
lolwtf: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/20...hes-to-a-less-than-glowing-critical-response/

Commercial Half-Life fangame Hunt Down The Freeman launches to a less-than-glowing critical response

ss_8e58d9f1fc1c91d655e8817847773e16e9774cfe-620x300.jpg

Folks, I think we’re going to have to let Half-Life go. It’s been over a decade since Valve did anything with the license (beyond cross-promotion deals), and the seemingly posthumous leak of the sequel’s planned story beats cemented the sense that the series wouldn’t be returning any time soon.

Seemingly disinterested in using it themselves, Valve have been approving the use of the Half-Life setting and assets (if not the name) for use in commercial fan-works, Hunt Down The Freeman feels like it might just be the last nail in the coffin for the series, if public response thusfar has been any indication.

Of course, this isn’t the first case of Valve officially authorising Half-Life fan-works for commercial release on Steam. On top of the excellent (but still unfinished) Half-Life 1 remake Black Mesa, we’ve recently seen the likes of mod-turned-commercial release Prospekt. Hunt Down The Freeman from Royal Rudius Entertainment is one of the more ambitious commercial fan-projects to date, promising a full length campaign set in between Half-Life 1 & 2 propped up by a bevy of fully voiced pre-rendered cutscenes. Sadly, this seems a case of overreaching beyond the developer’s means in excess of even the deliriously wonky EYE: Divine Cybermancy.

While I don’t have a review copy of it to dig deep myself, I have watched a fair amount of Hunt Down The Freeman being streamed, enough to get a rough measure of its qualities. Visually, it manages to look a few years behind the original release of Half-Life 2. Despite attempting to leverage some of the fancier visual effects only available in later iterations of the Source engine, the world of Hunt Down The Freeman is full of oversized, under-decorated corridors, industrial-scale buildings with nary an item of clutter to define the space, and outdoor segments featuring terrain that manages to be blurrily textured and awkwardly angular in equal measure.

Mechanically, there are some ideas here that seem nice on paper, but are executed poorly. In attempting to portray the short but doomed defense that Earth’s militaries put up against the Combine, almost every encounter appears scaled up haphazardly, with dozens of AI combatants on both sides, firing wildly. When not accompanied by a gaggle of NPC minions, the player has to contend with similarly up-scaled hordes of zombies and headcrabs. On top of that, the game attempts to make gunplay more realistic through a minimalist HUD, an absent crosshair, and a requirement to aim down each weapon’s sights for any kind of accuracy, a decision seemingly at odds with the increased enemy density.

All of this would be bad enough by itself, but among the litany of complaints from those who have played the game is that it’s more than a little buggy, frequently crash-prone and generally unpolished. The developer has issued a confusing yet broadly apologetic statement, opening with a claim that they were forced to release by negative press coming from Half-Life fans dissatisfied by what they saw of the game during development. They go on to claim that the game that they (and we) are now seeing through other player’s streams and videos is not what they believe they have on their development machines.

ss_c4efe7b65fb663c76c76a20ff412958dc35e5d84-620x349.jpg

This bizarre claim is followed up by a suggestion that some error in file organization may have put an unfinished build out into the public’s hands, which would be a more convincing argument if they weren’t already incrementally patching the version that was just released, directly addressing some of the more glaring faults pointed out by players. Royal Rudius Entertainment go on to state that ‘We will release the actual version of the game we were supposed to release’. If they do, we’ll be the first to let you know, but somehow I find myself skeptical.

Hunt Down The Freeman is available to buy on Steam for £19.49/$25, minus a launch discount, but you probably shouldn’t.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/723390/announcements/detail/1672396103811403772

The Past, The Present, and The Future of HDTF

Hello everyone,

We want to talk about HDTF, what happened and what will happen.
Two and a half years ago, Berkan had the idea to make a short film about HDTF, and after that idea, he chose to make it into a hl2 mod. After that, He started to make a small project which started to get attention. He pondered if he should make something bigger.

The Indigogo campaign was started and raised nothing, but he didn't want to give up on it. He had to make his idea a reality. He went and found an investor, a company, and a team. That is when the actual project started.
After a development of almost 2 years of an ambitious project, when we came close to the end, we started to get huge pressure and receive harassment from the community. We also had lies circulate from the old team, as well as various other sources about our game.

This pushed us to release the game as soon as possible to prove our innocence. On the day of the release, it was a big shock for all of us when we saw the game on streams and realizing it wasn't the game that we had on our end. We may have failed on file organization, as we are still trying to figure out the best way to put everything together, and push a massive update.

After the game is released, people started to harass us even more and generate more lies about us. No one has even contacted us to hear about our side of the story in a long time. To be honest, we don't actually think that people care about anything but the drama since none of the responses that we've given has been shared with the community.

Now, what will happen is we will continue working on this project. We will release the actual version of the game we were supposed to release, and even after that, we will continue working on it with feedback from the community. At the end of the day, we are all Half-Life fans, and we all want to make a decent game. After we fix everything, we ask that you give us another chance.

We cannot express how sorry we are, we will do our best to fix it and we will appreciate and take any help we can get from the community. We will not stop until HDTF is the game that is supposed to be and just like we did not give up at the beginning, we will not give up at the end.

RRE Team.

:avatard:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom