Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 182 24.6%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.4%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 129 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

Luzur

Good Sir
That fucking desert in MM1...it turns out characters devour 1 Food for every step you take. :argh:
And the game doesn't notify you when characters die from starvation/thirst. :argh::argh:

It doesnt scale down to your level, thats for sure hahaha

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Goddamnit octavius you're making me want to do another NWC Might and Magic with spinoffs marathon... last time I did this I spent over a year on it, and I skipped some of the games (like Crusaders).

Speaking of Crusaders... I've always dismissed the game because I thought it held no connection to the NWC universe whatsoever, had completely different gameplay, and was therefore Might and Magic literally in name only. Now reading about the game I realized I was very wrong: Necros is mentioned in Sea of Mist and also reappears in HOMM4, there are quite a few references to the Ancients and their technology as well as their war against the Kreegan, the entire plot centers around a Kreegan Gate, and all of this allows me to even place the game within the main series chronology with reasonable confidence. I knew about the sequel, Warriors of Might and Magic, even less, and it seems that it goes into even more detail about the Ancients and the Kreegan. I didn't even know that Warriors had a sequel itself (Shifters).

Then I read this on Crusaders' Wikipedia page:
"Numerous aspects of the storyline differ in the Windows version. Before reaching the Citadel, Drake must pass through the small village of Cador-Sûl, which is not present in the PlayStation version. Also, Prince Dain must be rescued from the Ironpicks before he can be spoken to, and Tor is not present. Two dungeon-like locations, the Catacombs and the fallen Starship, are accessible only in the Windows version. Ursan plays a larger role, Celestia does not flee Citadel and the final battle takes place on Necros' Battleship, with no mention of the Kreegan Gate."

So I'm a little confused now. The PC version has a lot of stuff that was cut from the PS version but the PC version is also missing most of what would connect the game to the original series? It seems like a very bizarre decision by the devs. Has anyone here played either or both versions? I know Darth Roxor has played at least one.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Believe it or not, I actually finished Crusaders 2 or 3 times on the PC.

There's deffo not a single mention of "Kreegan" there, and I don't even remember any kreegan gates - as the wiki blurb says, the final battle is on Necros's dreadnought.

In one level (glaciers) there's a fallen spaceship with weird dudes with glowing red eyes on board. Nobody ever references them in any way though, but it's still just about the only element hinting at a global M&M universe connection. Then again, the last time I played it was fairly long ago, and before I played any M&M (not counting HoMM), so maybe I missed something, but I doubt it.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I didn't manage to finish it. It was so.....simple,and it lacked any connection the originals. All that talk about MM makes me replay something earlier than my yearly replay period.

Archibald

Arcane
So I'm a little confused now. The PC version has a lot of stuff that was cut from the PS version but the PC version is also missing most of what would connect the game to the original series? It seems like a very bizarre decision by the devs. Has anyone here played either or both versions?

I have completed PS version, but I really don't remember any specifics. All in all it was rather forgettable game and I doubt that I would remember it all if it wasn't part of MM franchise. I don't know, there are many better games available so I feel it would be a bit pointless to play it unless you really want to MM completionist.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Interesting...if you run from fixed encounters in MM1 you'll have to fight the same battle twice when you return.
So I had to fight the Black Knight and his entourage of Assassins at B2, 0 15 twice. Surely a couple of Black Knights would drop something nice? If not a Black Box, then at least a Gold Chest? But no, a bleeping Cloth Sack with 128 gold in it! :argh:

And I'm noticing things which further makes me think MM1 inferior to MM2:
Special attacks were removed from most monsters before the game game was published. Even though Identify Monsters says they have "Bonus on Touch", Thieves don't steal gold, Gremlins don't steal Food, Assassins don't crit you etc, etc. But even when Drain Life has been kept, it still doesn't do anything. No loss of level, XP or stats, and the Cleric Spell "Restore Energy" just goes "Spell Failed" even though the combat messages clearly said the spell target was life drained.
So high level enemies like Assassins are virtually harmless, while slightly lower level enemies like Basilisks are deadly since their Stoning Breath works.

Last edited:

Dux

Arcane
So for about 20+ hours I've persevered and now MM9 is finally done. That means I've played through all of the games except X, which is outside the NWC domain.

I'm not entirely sure what to say about this game. It's unfinished and clunky, but it has some silver linings here and there. MM6 introduced 3D graphics - for good and bad - and that formula stagnated in MM8. This game tried to switch things up a little bit and in some ways it succeeded. The combat feels more interesting here and more satisfying compared to MM8 for example. Spells feel powerful and some melee fights are suitably chaotic. It's not perfect by any means but it showed some promise. Apart from that there's really not much else to note. The quests are few and often shallow. The music is bare-bones and the storyline is needlessly convoluted. The level of the sparse voice-acting is what you would expect from a company in its death throes. I do wonder what this game actually would've looked like if NWC had had their extra 2-3 months of development. However, it's hard to see how this game would ever amount to anything more than mere mediocrity. There's just not enough to it. The setting is divorced from the classic MM settings which we've grown accustomed to. CRON, VARN, Erathia, Enroth etc. This is just a standard and quite boring Viking-influenced world they've constructed.

There was one moment in the game that really hit home. You go to this remote monastery to do some things. Inside there's an organ playing a very short tune every once in a while. That tune is from HOMM2. Hearing that just made me realise how sad it was to experience this husk of a game, knowing the rich history which had led up to this point. It's sad how the world works sometimes.

What a series, though, MM9's problems notwithstanding.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I would recommend playing X Legacy.
It's much closer in feeling to the traditional Might & Magic games then these weird fps hybrids.

It does have its problems, the main being small world scope.
But it's much more interesting tactics and ability-wise. Although some hold it against it, saying that it's "too slow".

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Always the party pooper Roxor. why can't we dream a modern M&M can be good :(

I'll eventually play it out of curiosity when I have time, the good thing about this place is it sets your expectations so low on any game, they rarely end up disappointing me anymore.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It's much closer in feeling to the traditional Might & Magic games then these weird fps hybrids.

But it's much more interesting tactics and ability-wise. Although some hold it against it, saying that it's "too slow".
It have nothing in common with the old gems,it is linier piece of shit. It is far worst than MM9,at least that was MM game even if it was a beta.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Strongly disagree with this one. For me, traditional Might & Magics were about the exploration of a gigantic world step by step until you're capable of slaughtering through 255 trashmobs within the blink of an eye. MM IV carried those concepts over to the 3rd dimension perfectly with its huge maps and genocide spells like Meteor Shower and Armageddon.

As you already pointed out, MMXL had you trapped in this tiny fishbowl world while combat against even the easiest of mobs turned into a slugfest. It was an okay game on its own, but if you approach it with the M&M mindset and expectations, you're bound to be disappointed. Also the loot, another strong point of the series, was absolute lackluster.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I've managed to avoid party death for a long time now, even surviving (but not defeating yet) The Raven and his Master Archers, the dragons of Dragon Pass and the Lava God in MM1. But now at the bottom of the Dragadune ruins a new fiend has appeared that caused party death: the Arch Druid. These treehuggers drain all magic from the party, and they have high elemental resistance, so if they are in the back ranks they are a pain, especially if backed by High Clerics (who cheat and can cast Sun Ray inside) and Arch Mages.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

It have nothing in common with the old gems,it is linier piece of shit. It is far worst than MM9,at least that was MM game even if it was a beta.
Fuck off you little cunt,any games in the sequel is a far superior game than MMX,
PS:drunk a shit.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Interesting...if you run from fixed encounters in MM1 you'll have to fight the same battle twice when you return.
So I had to fight the Black Knight and his entourage of Assassins at B2, 0 15 twice. Surely a couple of Black Knights would drop something nice? If not a Black Box, then at least a Gold Chest? But no, a bleeping Cloth Sack with 128 gold in it! :argh:

And I'm noticing things which further makes me think MM1 inferior to MM2:
Special attacks were removed from most monsters before the game game was published. Even though Identify Monsters says they have "Bonus on Touch", Thieves don't steal gold, Gremlins don't steal Food, Assassins don't crit you etc, etc. But even when Drain Life has been kept, it still doesn't do anything. No loss of level, XP or stats, and the Cleric Spell "Restore Energy" just goes "Spell Failed" even though the combat messages clearly said the spell target was life drained.
So high level enemies like Assassins are virtually harmless, while slightly lower level enemies like Basilisks are deadly since their Stoning Breath works.

Exactly which version of M&M1 are you playing? And on what system? Is it possible that you're in a similar situation as with Bard's Tale 3, that you're playing a bugged version and you don't know it?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I don't remember which version it is, since it's so long ago I installed it. Probably from Abandonia.
But it seems to be a feature, since if all the special attacks were implemented the game would be too difficult.

As it is MM1 is one of the hardest CRPGs ever in the beginning, then it get's easier once you get the Time Distortion spell, and then it gets more difficult in the end when you start facing monster that can drain all magic or whose physical attacks eradicte the target.
Overall the difficulty is just right for my taste, though, although it's rather unbalanced when some high level monsters have special attack and other don't. At least I assume Executioners for example should have had a Critical Hit ability, or that Medusas should have Stoning attack.

In MM2, where all special attacks are implemented AFAIK, you will start with lvl 7-8 characters if importing, so the special attacks won't be so devastating in the beginning.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Managed to defeat the Volcano God in MM1, but being a god he was not killed, so instead of being able to loot him he just bounced back.
Wait...I time distorted out once, maybe that's why?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Never mind, I figured it out.
If you fight him as a challenge, he will instantly respawn, but if you rescue the virgin he apparantly gets angry and attack.
No Black Box, though, just a Gold Box with a Precision Ring (which would have quite useful against the 30 AC Volcano God).

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So i finally beat the Dragon Town, and what did I get?

s7CsBmm.png

In the end, after mapping every single square of the map (except half the Volcano), and doing no grinding whatsoever, I only ever found three Black Boxes:

1. Some randomized Rakshakas in the King's Orchard.

2. The fourth test (Chaos Knight, Executioners and Warriors IIRC) in Raven's Stronghold.

3. One of the four fixed battles, with a Titan, at the bottom of the Fabulous Building of Gold.

The loot from the Succubus, Demon Lord, Volcano God, Lord Archer and especially Dragon City was underwhelming.

To get the best drops the best tactic is probably to set off the alarm in Castle Doom and grind the monster breeding grounds there. Setting off alarms (and breaking into the jail in Sorpigal) increases the monster level for that map.

Now I have finally beat this game, after last time 7 years ago the Save States version of DOSBox bugged out on me (let that be a lesson) It took me almost a month, so it's nearly twice as big as most CRPGs.

It's a great game, but I will definitely rate it lower than 2 and 6, but higher than 3-5 and 9. MM 7 is coming up on my play list soon and from what I recall of it I except it will also rate higher.

Last edited:

Eggs is eggs

Learned
I remember I downloaded a bugged version of MM4 from an abandonware site. The game would crash or something when you went into the inns. I just went to another site and downloaded a different version and it worked fine.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
You imported gates to another world's party or remade each character ?

Fowyr edited the Roster file for me to match the MM2 pregens.
I already took the MM1 pregens through both games; this time I wanted to use the MM2 pregens for both games.
The MM2 party is probably more powerful. I think they have overall better stats, and there's one more female which is an advantage in Portsmith.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom