Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Chess

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

The match against Karpov was a bit bullshit, as the boy ran out of time, was distracted by all the talking and had a breakdown that was a bit disgraceful to show, But there is another video how now 4 year old Misha won his first game against a grandmaster, 95 year old Eugene Vasyukov who once battled against Michail Tal.

Though analysis shows this was not really chess at the end, more like letting the boy win.

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
I know it's a showmatch and it is more about entertainment than srs bsns, but the showman guy in that last video can really go suck a dick, and I think even Karjakin is somewhat insistent on shutting him up sometimes.

Burning Bridges

The showmaster? He looks like a inflatable, gay rubber doll and his hair is dyed pretty miserably. But that's how they all look these days.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
B2A4n_NIgAI5DjW.jpg

:abyssgazer:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
That feeling when you thought you played a p. gud game, then put it in an engine and turns out everything is shit.

Burning Bridges

I am so bad against the computer that I peak at 1500-1600 ELO and then need to turn it down to 1100 - 1200.

The good thing is that since I started playing computers ~3 years ago I have greatly improved against humans - played some people that had used to be equal strength and steamrollered them.

Mustawd

Huh....new to me. But I've been out of the game since 2012. Ugh, you got me wanting to pick up all my books and shit. And reinstall chessmaster :terminate:

thesoup

Arcane
Just found this thread. Does anyone play at chess.com?
Don't worry, I'm no good whatsoever

Jazz_

Arcane
I play daily games with one day to move. Name Country_Gravy at chess.com, too.

And I'm terrible.

You do know that a lot of them use an engine right? That's why I play only 3 minutes blitz games online, the likelihood they will cheat is low because of time pressure (some still do, you can tell by the fact that their connection drops after every move), classical time games online is kinda pointless as they have all the time in the world to consult an engine.

Burning Bridges

People go to play online and then cheat with an engine? :lol: That would be like taking tennis lessons and then sending a robot to play, wouldn't it.
I thought the only reason would be to improve and see how much you have improved already.

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
From my experience playing on chess.com, people using engines are only a problem at higher Elo in tournaments. If people used engines at lower ranks, they wouldn't be at lower ranks.

Jazz_

Arcane
I saw Nakamura play this preposterous(?) opening with white vs some 2700 elo GM:

8qNAJCp.jpg

I played it myself out of curiosity and had great results with it so far, I guess it throws people off or something. :incline:

Last edited:

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
I do play on chess.com, palychess.com and ICC sometimes (if I renew my membership). I am kinglygifts at chess.com - let's have some games.

Burning Bridges

I saw Nakamura play this preposterous(?) opening with white vs some 2700 elo GM:

8qNAJCp.jpg

I played it myself out of curiosity and had great results with it so far, I guess it throws people off or something. :incline:

On low intermediate level flank openings are valid tactics imo, because people are just too much like trained monkeys with their standard openings. That means if you have played the opening yourself, understand some of the continuations and your opponent cannot cope, you may get an immediate advantage from it. It's imo always good to play something that you opponent does not know. Many low level players are still locked at certain steps which they have not mastered yet. For example many can be easily outwitted by discovered attacks or pins, which they do not consider as threats.

As to a 2700 ELO opponent .. *cough* Naka will know what he is doing. Maybe he spotted a very interesting continuation and thought he could reap some fame, even if he loses.

Here is a game where a fake Bobby Fischer played 4 successive King moves and still won https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObmFR5Dz7Ac
his opponent was Nigel Short :lol:

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
This is still a negligible amount of players. On playchess.com (chessbase servers) I encountered exactly 2 cheaters in ca. 25000 blitz games.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom