Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1eyedking Understanding Roqua-ism: The RPG Philosophy of Roqua aka YES!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
For months now, YES! has been engaged in a vendetta against the inhabitants of the RPG Codex. He accuses us of being children who fail to appreciate real RPGs, and what real RPGs should be. He misses no opportunity to derail every thread towards this topic.

In this thread, I'd like him to clarify. What exactly are the characteristics of these RPGs that we should all be worshipping? What is it that we're not getting? Please try to be thorough and specific instead of ranting and raving about how we're weeaboo children console monkeys.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
I have been attacked by retards on this site for years now. In no thread have retards missed the opportunity to attack me with no provocation on my part. In this thread you will see more of the same.

In this thread, I'd like them to clarify. What exactly is it about me that causes angsty teen retards to have fits and attack like rabid animals? Why do they stalk and harass me?

Did Facebook creators ever explain why they added buttons to it? Yes, to attract children. Children and retards love buttons. This site is filled with children, retards, and retarded children that love what? Yes, buttons. Watch as they give me buttons that say what they are.

If you give me the subforum, and give me admin access to ban the retards, I'll gladly explain. But, I'm not wasting my time writing what amounts to fodder for retards. Give the normals the subforum and watch it blossom.

PorkBarrellGuy

I love that petulant demand for admin powers. Sheer chutzpah.

No, but seriously, Roqua, you're in a FANTASTIC bargaining position here. I'm in awe of your obvious business acumen and I can really see those masters degrees at work.

Last edited by a moderator:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I have been attacked by retards on this site for years now. In no thread have retards missed the opportunity to attack me with no provocation on my part. In this thread you will see more of the same.

In this thread, I'd like them to clarify. What exactly is it about me that causes angsty teen retards to have fits and attack like rabid animals? Why do they stalk and harass me?

Did Facebook creators ever explain why they added buttons to it? Yes, to attract children. Children and retards love buttons. This site is filled with children, retards, and retarded children that love what? Yes, buttons. Watch as they give me buttons that say what they are.

If you give me the subforum, and give me admin access to ban the retards, I'll gladly explain. But, I'm not wasting my time writing what amounts to fodder for retards. Give the normals the subforum and watch it blossom.
And he is still not answering the question,hahahaha what a cunt. Hey,mate when was the last time you played an rpg and what it was?

Don't you think that a whole subforum that will house only you is a tad bit excessive,maybe a thread?

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
For months now, YES! has been engaged in a vendetta against the inhabitants of the RPG Codex. He accuses us of being children who fail to appreciate real RPGs, and what real RPGs should be. He misses no opportunity to derail every thread towards this topic.

In this thread, I'd like him to clarify. What exactly are the characteristics of these RPGs that we should all be worshipping? What is it that we're not getting? Please try to be thorough and specific instead of ranting and raving about how we're weeaboo children console monkeys.

I don't know why Roqua veers so often between cogent argument and his not-so-cogent ad hominem schtick, but he would benefit from an interpreter, much like Aaron did for Moses. Sadly, I am not that man. But I did scrounge up some of his more straightforward posts in the subforum thread, AKA Roqua's epistles to the codexians:

The key ones I think are a must to participate in any sensible and adult crpg conversation (objectively since I greatly dislike some of these but they are necessary for any self-respecting crpg enthusiast's repertoire) would be - Dark Sun (either), Darklands, one of the Realms of Arkania Trilogy, Ultima 7, Albion, Fallout 1 or 2, Wizardry 7 and/or 8, JA 2, Planescape Torment, BG 1 or 2, Arcanum, ToEE, NWN 1 or 2, Lionheart, VtM: Bloodlines (action game with heavy rpg elements but still necessary), Gothic 1 or 2 (same as Bloodlines), any one of the Spiderweb Software games, one of the Drakensangs, Divine Divinity, Blackguards 1, D:OS, WL2, MMX, AoD, Underrail. I am also including Aarklash Legacy since there is absolutely no reason any enthusiast, especially people who defend or praise the horrible, awful IE games combat, to have not played the only RTwP game that has somehow magically actually made the only good RTwP combat system ever.

Highly suggested games - Daggerfall (the last PC game Bethesda made), one of the Goldbox games (preferably a Buck Rogers, granted they are not considered gold box but they used the engine, and they had a chargen and dev as well as combat ((that was has some very interesting checks and balances never again seen even though it was a very good combat/rpg system)) far superior to any of the D&D goldbox games). One of the Martian Ultima games. Mask of the Betrayer because people seem to piss their pants over it. Ultima Underworld and one of the Lands of Lore games so you can see exactly when rpgs started putting form over function, dumbing down gameplay, and pandering to the future console crowd. Thunderscape. EOB trilogy (2 or 3 preferably). Betrayal at Krondor (started the highly narrated, scripted, story heavy craze that is still all the rage today). Quest for Glory 1-5 (preferably the EGA version of 1 or 2 since they are far superior to the remake of 1 or 3-5). Dead State. I guess console trash like the Kotors, Dragon Age, Bethesda games after Daggerfall, the Witchers, whatever else created a lot of hubbub with the console crowd. I probably missed a couple that could be considered important to understand/appreciate the genre. I left out a ton of good games that I love that really didn't put anything else on the rpg table.

Out of the required games I listed I dislike, have always been on the record disliking, and will never like most of them. If a game doesn't have what I consider to be tolerable combat, I dislike the game. Sometimes I will like the other aspects of a game enough to like it despite the combat, such as Arcanum and Falllout 1 and 2, but what I like has no bearing on the list. I dislike Gothic 1 and 2, I dislike every IE game made including Planescape due to the awful, tacticless, click and watch, no strategy needed monkey combat . I disliked NWN 1 and 2. I dislike Ultima 7. I think Divine Divinity is more tolerable than most every arpg but it doesn't really do anything for me. I liked Beyond Divinity more personally. I also think DKS is one of the best action games with heavy rpg elements I played (granted I get bored around the time you get the dragon and stop playing, but I rarely finish a game). I think Drakensang 2 is a better than the IE games but the combat is almost as bad. I liked D:OS until they spent the money we gave them to make a good crpg into making the enhanced edition a super awesome console game instead of fixing the suck parts like chardev, and then asking us to spend more money so they can fix everything that sucked for crpg players in part 2 and then waste the money on making it a better console game again. Fuck larian and ConsoleSven

Also, disliking a game without being able to articulate why in a coherent as well as consistent explanation is the domain of the monkeys. I dislike the IE game's combat but I am willing and capable to explain why and consistent in my view of why. There are a lot of crpgs that come out that I am not a big fan of but I still support them because a bad (or not all that great) crpg is better than no crpg.

One of the goals of this subforum is to promote and advance crpgs, not bite the hand that feeds us. Anyone that is intelligent enough to really like crpgs is most likely smart enough to think for themselves and not be impressed by other people's monkey spewings. Especially when the monkey spewings are the "popular" view since it will lead to many inconsistencies or the lack of ability to articulate the reasons for those inconsistencies.

I'm sympathetic to this last point: many on this forum are far too eager to bite the hand that feeds them.

So, Roqua wanted a wall, and now we have one, only it's not the wall he was looking for. Now that we have the wall between GD and everything else, has it worked to drive away the political types who don't care about games? Or has it merely driven them into the gaming threads?

PorkBarrellGuy

I don't know why Roqua veers so often between cogent argument and his not-so-cogent ad hominem schtick, but he would benefit from an interpreter, much like Aaron did for Moses.

I have a theory, but it's suitably crazy.

Now that we have the wall between GD and everything else, has it worked to drive away the political types who don't care about games? Or has it merely driven them into the gaming threads?

The politicization of the hobby itself is as much or more to blame than one site's content-gating choices. Can't hardly spit without hitting someone who thinks a game serves some sort of political agenda, and the worst part is they're right well over half the time these days. The best part? The genie's well out of the bottle on this one and a lot of publishers/devs have figured out that the controversy ignited by conveying hamfisted political messaging in their games results in an absolute fuckton of free advertising.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I don't know why Roqua veers so often between cogent argument and his not-so-cogent ad hominem schtick, but he would benefit from an interpreter, much like Aaron did for Moses.

I have a theory, but it's suitably crazy.

Now that we have the wall between GD and everything else, has it worked to drive away the political types who don't care about games? Or has it merely driven them into the gaming threads?

The politicization of the hobby itself is as much or more to blame than one site's content-gating choices. Can't hardly spit without hitting someone who thinks a game serves some sort of political agenda, and the worst part is they're right well over half the time these days. The best part? The genie's well out of the bottle on this one and a lot of publishers/devs have figured out that the controversy ignited by conveying hamfisted political messaging in their games results in an absolute fuckton of free advertising.
Roqua is crazy,it is that simple. There is no need to find a rational explanation for a crazy person.

I don't mind GD being locked out from the game part. It may be hard to believe,but i did make account for the RPGS and not about the political shit. What i don't like is locking the place where you can see some intelligent things ...aka the library,just because of few retarded threads.:negative: Really miss the science corner and the anime thread.

mushaden

Scholar
Can you make a newspost of roquas key games that are a must to participate in a sensible adult CRPG discussion?

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't even know why Roqua is still here, or why he's come back with yet another alt, or who most of these new people are. GRPGD used to have good threads on occasion and now it's all divided up into subforums I can't be bothered to check. Damn kids, get off my lawn.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Here's a crazy idea--lead by example! Show the angsty teen retards what intelligent discussion looks like; educate them with your refined taste. I'll admit that it cracks me up every time I see the word pokeman in one of your posts, but every moment you waste going after the people who antagonize you is a moment you're not composing enlightening RPG commentary. At the very least, maybe adjust the ratio of ad hominem attacks to thoughtful RPG discussion. If that goes against your nature, you could always role play as a turn the other cheek type.

ChaDargo

Arcane
I have been attacked by retards on this site for years now. In no thread have retards missed the opportunity to attack me with no provocation on my part. In this thread you will see more of the same...

I've been lurking on this forum for a long time and I thought this would be a good time to make my first post (I think because I'm a retarded child or something).

From reading hundreds of threads and thousands of posts (lord why), I've noticed that there is not a single person or a single subject or even a single word or turn of phrase that doesn't get shit on at some point. You want to know why? This is the internet, and a niche corner of the internet no less. It's how it works. Also, you seem like you can't handle "how it works," which makes you what's called "an easy mark." How is this something in need of explanation to someone who's all growns up?

That being said, if anyone flames me, especially you, good sir, whom I have not provoked at all, I WILL BE VERY UPSET.

Oh, and does anyone know if FF XV is any good?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I once tried to engage Roqua in a discussion, but I soon learnt that he wasn't discussing with me at all, but with a strawman.
And coupled with the combination of excessive profanity and calling others children, I just can't take him seriously.
He's more like a troll that is amusing in small doses. Much like a little yapper.

Last edited:

Neanderthal

Arcane

Here's a crazy idea--lead by example! Show the angsty teen retards what intelligent discussion looks like; educate them with your refined taste. I'll admit that it cracks me up every time I see the word pokeman in one of your posts, but every moment you waste going after the people who antagonize you is a moment you're not composing enlightening RPG commentary. At the very least, maybe adjust the ratio of ad hominem attacks to thoughtful RPG discussion. If that goes against your nature, you could always role play as a turn the other cheek type.

What the fuck is this elvish hippy shit? When the bollocks did insulting folk become an ad hominominem? Sounds like cunts on Neogaf spouting their shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom