Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yet another Piracy: Good or Bad? discussion

Elex

Arbiter
Piracy is not theft because nothing is physically removed from an inventory.
:rpgcodex:

Piracy is worse than theft - it's retarded.

There are two types of games:
1. You liek, you buy, you support the developrs.
2. You don't wanna buy, therefore you don't think it's worth supporting the developers, therefore it's dogshit, therefore you'd be retarded torrenting and playing dogshit when there are so many quality, worthwhile games you couldn't play them all if you lived a 1k years.
what about games released later on gog for no reason at all?

Deleted member 7219

Thieves in this thread trying to excuse their shitty behaviour in stealing things that don't belong to them.

:killit:

If you can't afford it, don't buy it. I'd like a Tesla but I can't afford it. That doesn't mean I can go out and fucking take one.

Don't give the shitty excuse of "It's not on GOG" either. If you want the GOG version you're going to have to wait for it. Or not buy the game at all. Nobody is forcing you.

He says, wondering if a game like this will ever be made again.

If I had bought this game right away I would be feeling pretty fucking stupid with all the stuttering in towns that makes it unplayable in current state. Because I make 500-600 euro a month buying a 50 euro game without even checking if it runs well would be downright fucking retarded. And at least now I know enough to wait and see if this game becomes playable on my current system before buying it first. So fuck off with your lectures, faggot. I never act proud of pirating but I do "demo" most games before buying them because I actually need to demo them.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7219

If I had bought this game right away I would be feeling pretty fucking stupid wtih all the stuttering in towns that makes it unplayable in current state. Because I make 500-600 euro a month buying a 50 euro game without even checking if it runs well would be downright fucking retarded. And at least know I know enough to wait and see if this game becomes playable on my current system before buying it first. So fuck off with your lectures faggot. I never act proud of pirating but I do "demo" most games before buying them because I actually need to demo them.

You're acting proud of pirating right now in this thread.

You should feel ashamed of it. When other people rightly criticise thieves, and you realise you are one yourself, you should hang your head in shame.

The 'demo' argument is not one I subscribe to, but whatever. You don't really believe that. If you did, you'd keep quiet and not openly brag about it.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
This is why there are no demos today, because games run like garbage and no one would buy them.

There are rare few cases when there are still demos (mainly on consoles) but at this point you know you don't have to try the demo because it means the game works, otherwise there wouldn't be a demo in the first place.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Because I make 500-600 euro a month buying a 50 euro game without even checking if it runs well would be downright fucking retarded.
Steam really are a bunch of assholes for not making the baltic states a price region. In Russia, it's half that.

Don't give me the demo excuse though. Steam let's you refund within 2 hours of playtime.
all the stuttering in towns
wat? are you playing on a toaster? my laptop runs it flawlessly in towns.

Don't give me the demo excuse though. Steam let's you refund within 2 hours of playtime.

Yeah, 2 hours.. for a game that I already heard had a few hours prologue with lots of cutscenes and only opens up after. That sure gave me confidence that 2 hours will be enough to properly test it.

I am playing on i5-2320, 8GB DDR3 RAM, GTX1060. Game is installed on SSD, pagefile is on SSD as well. My initial guess that it was the fault of my CPU or RAM but apparently other people with systems above recommended requirements have this issue too.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah, 2 hours.. for a game that I already heard had a few hours prologue with lots of cutscenes and only opens up after. That sure gave me confidence that 2 hours will be enough to properly test it.

Well, I suppose as long as you really buy it after you test it.

And not, you know, finishing it and then convincing yourself it's shit after all and not worth spending your dough...

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
And not, you know, finishing it and then convincing yourself it's shit after all and not worth spending your dough...

It's true, sometimes you can only tell the game was shit after you finish it.

If you can replay game over and over again, 10+ more times, it means it's not shit.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist

I am playing on i5-2320, 8GB DDR3 RAM, GTX1060. Game is installed on SSD, pagefile is on SSD as well. My initial guess that it was the fault of my CPU or RAM but apparently other people with systems above recommended requirements have this issue too.
Issues vary wildly from player to player, seemingly irrespective of what system they have.
Some say freezing is fixed by switching from win 7 to win 10... Then you read that other win 10 users have freezes too.
Some people have few issues worth mentioning.
Some have major quest bugs, some don't (I got lucky in that regard).
There's really no telling ahead of time... Gotta test the game and see how things go for you, basically. Or wait until it's had enough patching done.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Yeah, 2 hours.. for a game that I already heard had a few hours prologue with lots of cutscenes and only opens up after.
it's long enough to get you through the first town, a major fight scene and into the second town area. It does open up afterward, but it's more than enough time to see how it runs.
Or maybe because you're playing a shitty pirated copy.
mystery.png

I'm not even playing on an SSD and apart from ram, your rig is better than my laptop.

You could always put your money where your mouth is and buy it on steam, refunding it if the performance issues still exist. Doubt you will though.

:shredder:

Don't worry about that. I bought Prey after pirating first and I can already see that this is way better. It just needs to become playable first, either via patching or me upgrading my PC.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Thieves in this thread trying to excuse their shitty behaviour in stealing things that don't belong to them.

:killit:

If you can't afford it, don't buy it. I'd like a Tesla but I can't afford it. That doesn't mean I can go out and fucking take one.

Don't give the shitty excuse of "It's not on GOG" either. If you want the GOG version you're going to have to wait for it. Or not buy the game at all. Nobody is forcing you.
Are you a freelance musician or something? Touchy about "intellectual property rights", dismissive of rational arguments, pretending to tell other people what's moral and what's immoral.

BTW, when I can't afford something I indeed don't buy it.

Regarding KCD - I was pretty skeptical about it, but I pirated, tried, and I'm determined to buy it now. I'll buy it when it's released on the platform I prefer, at full price too. And if you have a problem with that, I can't help you.

imweasel

It's true, sometimes you can only tell the game was shit after you finish it.
True. There are those game that make you feel real empty inside as if you accomplished nothing. Then you wonder to yourself why you wasted your time playing a lame and boring game. Skyrim is a good example.

imweasel

If I had bought this game right away I would be feeling pretty fucking stupid wtih all the stuttering in towns that makes it unplayable in current state. Because I make 500-600 euro a month buying a 50 euro game without even checking if it runs well would be downright fucking retarded. And at least now I know enough to wait and see if this game becomes playable on my current system before buying it first. So fuck off with your lectures faggot. I never act proud of pirating but I do "demo" most games before buying them because I actually need to demo them.
Yep. Piracy is inevitable these days, because publishers don't release demos anymore, so there is no way to try anything out before buying. Steam can also fuck right off with their "play less than 2 hours and you get your cash back" bullshit. That isn't enough time to test a game.

Codex Year of the Donut
This is why there are no demos today, because games run like garbage and no one would buy them.

There are rare few cases when there are still demos (mainly on consoles) but at this point you know you don't have to try the demo because it means the game works, otherwise there wouldn't be a demo in the first place.
there definitely are demos, you just need to look a bit harder

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
The average person where I live (Estonia) makes anywhere from 600-1000 euros a month and with how everything is so fucking expensive spending 50 eur on a video game is retarded.
Developers don't make demos anymore either, so I couldn't know if this game was any good or not or how well it would run on my machine unless I bought it, and I wouldn't ever buy it in it's current state because it's Bethesda-tier broken and never pay more than 20 bucks for a computer game, adjusted for inflation that's 36 bucks.
Piracy is justifiable if you don't make enough money or the game isn't worth full price, and all these moralfags and industry shills who scream and shout as if me pirating a game is putting 6 million developers into concentration camps. Newsflash faggots, I wouldn't buy the game regardless if I couldn't pirate it and I'd wait for a steam sale instead.

Deleted member 7219

If I had bought this game right away I would be feeling pretty fucking stupid wtih all the stuttering in towns that makes it unplayable in current state. Because I make 500-600 euro a month buying a 50 euro game without even checking if it runs well would be downright fucking retarded. And at least know I know enough to wait and see if this game becomes playable on my current system before buying it first. So fuck off with your lectures faggot. I never act proud of pirating but I do "demo" most games before buying them because I actually need to demo them.

You're acting proud of pirating right now in this thread.

You should feel ashamed of it. When other people rightly criticise thieves, and you realise you are one yourself, you should hang your head in shame.

The 'demo' argument is not one I subscribe to, but whatever. You don't really believe that. If you did, you'd keep quiet and not openly brag about it.

4 thieves have been butthurt with me telling the truth.

Anyone else like to steal things other people have made? More ratings please!

Newsflash faggots, I wouldn't buy the game regardless if I couldn't pirate it and I'd wait for a steam sale instead.

I have plenty of games in my steam library that I would have never bought in the first place if I wasn't able to try them for free first. Some games I even like enough to buy at full price, though of course with my finances it happens rarely. Last one was Prey as I felt it sold less than it deserved. At least KC seems to be doing well.

Deleted member 7219

Newsflash faggots, I wouldn't buy the game regardless if I couldn't pirate it and I'd wait for a steam sale instead.

I have plenty of games in my steam library that I would have never bought in the first place if I wasn't able to try them for free first. Some games I even like enough to buy at full price, though of course with my finances it happens rarely. Last one was Prey as I felt it sold less than it deserved. At least KC seems to be doing well.

Maybe more companies need to offer free trials or demos and that would help you out.

I don't think thievery is the right answer though.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
2. You don't wanna buy, therefore you don't think it's worth supporting the developers, therefore it's dogshit, therefore you'd be retarded torrenting and playing dogshit when there are so many quality, worthwhile games you couldn't play them all if you lived a 1k years.

Sometimes piracy can help a game, attracting people who weren't interested and can try it because it's free, and could end up buying it if they like it.

0hXcvoH.png

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Exactly. I generally wait until the game is at a price I feel that it deserves. Rarely, if ever, do I spend over 30 euros on a game since few are worth that much and there's generally other games I can get for cheaper that I will spend more time on, Rising Storm 2 is a good example, I spent like 10 bucks on that game and at the moment it's my go-to shooter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom