Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kynseed - a sandbox RPG/life sim inspired by Ultima 7, from ex-Lionhead developers

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/405964313/kynseed-a-whimsical-sandbox-rpg-adventure

https://pixelcountstudios.com/kynseed/

https://af.gog.com/game/kynseed?as=1649904300

ss_fb1019067f314c111c7dd4e778630c81e07c1be8.1920x1080.jpg

ss_300bccb963f0555ca72e0668841a847c0f39433a.1920x1080.jpg

It seemed like another farming JRPG that lately popularized on PC by Stardew Valley. But it has some interesting, somewhat dark twists:

Kynseed is a sandbox RPG adventure life sim brought to you by developers who worked on the Fable series for Lionhead Studios.

Live your life in a quirky world where everyone ages and dies, including your pets! Take control of the mystical Kynseed and grow your family legacy over generations as you pass your skills and powers down to your children.
  • Run a tavern, apothecary, goods store or blacksmith. Farm your land. Go adventuring and battle dark faery tale creatures. Or do them all. The choice is yours.
  • Develop relationships with NPC’s who have their own lives and loves, and who will remember your deeds, actions and pranks!
  • Find and use Proverbs to unlock the secrets of each ingredient, creature and inhabitant of a place where folk tales are all true.
  • Gather the materials to create better items, craft beers or to mix cures for a range of bizarre maladies for the simple people of the land.
  • Deal with the mysterious Fae gentleman, Mr Fairweather and buy strange artifacts from him that aid your chores, help you in combat or let you just mess with the world….but be aware of the life tax he extracts annually!
In Kynseed, live your lives the way you choose in a lovingly hand-crafted and huge 2D open world.

Developer says Ultima 7 (specifically its world simulation) is one of their major inspirations: http://quillstreak.com/index.php/2017/05/10/interview-kynseed-pixelcount-studios/

Kynseed is inspired by all the experiences we’ve had to date. Definitely Fable is a big part of that seeing as we had been working on that series for so long. But there’s so many other games that inspired us and make us felt like trying to make our own interpretation of them. Perhaps the biggest inspiration comes from Ultima 7 which to be honest still sets the bar in some ways for detailed simulated life, and in the way it lets you do what you want.

Showing our age, we still remember nostalgically the old days where games dreamed big and weren’t perhaps so formulaic in every detail. When there were no tutorials or Gamefaqs and it was just about natural discovery for the player. Games like Fantasy Life, Fable, Reccetear and Stardew(though Stardew’s influence is mainly the chill out vibe) all have an influence on this game too. Outside of games we were fascinated by the quirkiness of ye olden days where there were a lot more superstitions and rituals, this seemed an interesting area to explore further in games…

Also this bit probably is more interesting to Codex: http://www.retrogamesmaster.co.uk/kynseed/

After the completion of the game what game will you make?

I have about half a dozen designs near fully realised on paper, from Atari vcs type rpg’s to 80’s VHS horror tributes to a game where you play as…well let’s say I don’t think it’s been done before ;)

My main love though (after Kynseed) is a turn based combat RPG inspired by Darklands (PC game) called Omens. That one excites me most (after Kynseed). One focus at a time though!

Last edited by a moderator:

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Sounds interesting, though you have to wonder if you should be trusting Fable devs of all people. The answer is probably not.

Also some of the art/animations are horrendous! What is with those noodle arms?

Shin

Cipher
I think the art style is lovely, might be they go for 'noodle arms' and such just to give it a more distinctive look? .. cause it -does- look a tad bit like Stardew Valley.

But uh, ex-Fable developers going all Molyneux on a Stardew Valley looking project referencing U7 makes me a bit queasy.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
I like the environments and such, but not so much the character stylization.

And yeah, Fable devs? Uh-oh. Definitely taking the wait and see -approach...

Lionbum

PixelCount Studios
Developer
There isn't anything procedural in the game (yet!). All the regions are handcrafted, down to each patch of flowers. I know cos I did them.
Noodle arms player character from the prototype has long been sacrificed in a big wicker chicken.
A little sad to see all Fable devs tarred with the same brush...some of us were artists, animators and level designers, not company bosses and PR spokespeople.
Might not be everyone's cup of tea but as we develop it I hope we can win a few more of you over.
If not, then there are lots of other amazing RPG's we can play (please recommend me some...in a bit of a bubble at the moment!) :)

Codex Year of the Donut
There isn't anything procedural in the game (yet!). All the regions are handcrafted, down to each patch of flowers. I know cos I did them.
Noodle arms player character from the prototype has long been sacrificed in a big wicker chicken.
A little sad to see all Fable devs tarred with the same brush...some of us were artists, animators and level designers, not company bosses and PR spokespeople.
Might not be everyone's cup of tea but as we develop it I hope we can win a few more of you over.
If not, then there are lots of other amazing RPG's we can play (please recommend me some...in a bit of a bubble at the moment!) :)
so is this a medieval harvest moon?

Lionbum

PixelCount Studios
Developer
A post Apocalyptic Dark Faery Tale Fantasy Life 3DS with Ultima 7 type sim, Fable type sim reactions and Reccetear style shop owning.
Which is not a catchy way to describe things really.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Sounds like bad namedropping. Pass. And the backgrounds look like Star Ocean not U7. The lack of cavalier perspective or (apparently) world items is just the start.

I understand that superficial graphics whores don't actually like this perspective, so that's obviously the point.

Lionbum

PixelCount Studios
Developer
Sounds like bad namedropping. Pass. And the backgrounds look like Star Ocean not U7. The lack of cavalier perspective or (apparently) world items is just the start.

I understand that superficial graphics whores don't actually like this perspective, so that's obviously the point.

We aren't going for the visual style of U7...more the NPC routines and the way they say things above their head in a stylised font.
And the open worldness / freedom of it.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Welcome Lionbum and good luck!

I share V_K's misgivings ... does the game have goals, or is it pure sandbox? I enjoy Rimworld or Prison Architect style boxes where you pretty much do as you please but there are specific goals to meet.

Lionbum

PixelCount Studios
Developer
Welcome Lionbum and good luck!

I share V_K's misgivings ... does the game have goals, or is it pure sandbox? I enjoy Rimworld or Prison Architect style boxes where you pretty much do as you please but there are specific goals to meet.

Thank you!
There are goals of a sort, and story elements (though not in your face)...one of the goals if you so wish is to gain enough mastery and Reputation to enter a very special place, for example.

V_K

Arcane
I didn't mean just the regions, but also the way narratives and encounters are structured. Judging by your answers, it doesn't seem like the kind of game I'd be interested in, but good luck it nevertheless!
(Oh, and thumbs up for the username :lol:)

Lionbum

PixelCount Studios
Developer
I didn't mean just the regions, but also the way narratives and encounters are structured. Judging by your answers, it doesn't seem like the kind of game I'd be interested in, but good luck it nevertheless!
(Oh, and thumbs up for the username :lol:)

Thank you sir! Definitely not everyone's cup of tea for sure but it is very relaxing to play thanks to the music. It's more a chill adventure than a hardcore RPG.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:necro:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/kynseed/announcements/detail/1696061565021616667

Kynseed's Coming to Steam Early Access November 8!

Kynseed was born from the ashes of Fable developer Lionhead Studios, and ever since that first emergence from those hallowed embers, we've been toiling away to make something memorable. Creating an open world sandbox RPG where everyone ages and dies is an ambitious affair, which is why the journey of Kynseed’s development has already been underway for some time - a journey that all began with a Kickstarter. Since then, we've been laying the engine's groundwork and working closely with a ragtag group of supporters who we've watched evolve into an ever larger community. Now, it's time to take the next big step of our journey together.

You know how sometimes when a game suddenly announces a release date you think to yourself, "Blimey, that's just a few weeks away." As luck would have it, this is one of those times! We're very happy to announce that Kynseed will release for Steam Early Access on November 8th!

The game will be $9.99 for initial release, so head to Kynseed's Steam Store Page and hit that Wishlist button to get notified the second it launches. Plus, when it comes to indie devs such as ourselves, wishlisting is a huge help for getting us visibility around the Steam site!

This release also means that it's almost time to lay the Kynseed late backer program[pixelcountstudios.com] to rest - it's definitely earned it. We'll be closing its doors on November 2nd at midnight PDT (GMT-7). So for those of you who haven't yet backed (or want to upgrade), you've still got a little time left to get your hands on any of those rewards that strike your fancy. Not to mention, backing now will get you the game at a smidge lower price and, of course, you'll still be sent your Steam key the exact moment the game releases on Early Access.

For the army of supporters who have helped get us this far, thank you. We couldn't have done this without you - and we mean that very literally. Truly, we couldn't have. Launching on Steam Early Access is a huge step in Kynseed's development, but it's still just a step. There are many more to come and our journey is far from over. In a way, it's only getting started. So here's to future adventures as we all take that big step together on November 8th!

Love,
PixelCount

News_-_Poor_Little_Lost_Chicken.png

Meh, farming games always seemed like the sort of thing Pokespergs like my son would be into. They're built for a specific set of brainwashed Nintendo Youth.

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Not my type of game but i do know a few people that might be interested in a game like this, i will just give them a link, best of luck with the game.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Out now on Early Access.

Also GOG: https://af.gog.com/game/kynseed?as=1649904300

Net_Income.png

Kynseed is a sandbox life sim RPG brought to you by developers who worked on the Fable series for Lionhead Studios.

Live your life in a quirky world where everyone ages and dies, including your pets! Take control of the mystical Kynseed and grow your family legacy over generations as you pass your skills and powers down to your children.

• Run a business such as a blacksmith, tavern, apothecary, or goods store.
  • Go adventuring in dangerous regions and battle dark faery tale creatures.
  • Farm your land to create various ingredients that you'll come to rely on.
  • Develop relationships with NPC’s who have their own lives and who will remember your deeds, actions, and pranks!
  • Find proverbs to unlock the secrets of this mysterious dark faery tale world.
  • Gather materials to create items, craft beers, or mix cures for a range of bizarre maladies.
  • Buy strange artifacts from the mysterious Mr Fairweather - items which can aid your chores, help you in combat, or just let you mess with the world. But be warned of his life tax, for each item must be paid with years from your life!

In Kynseed, live your lives the way you choose in a lovingly handcrafted 2D open world.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom