Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oh right, the Kraken. Can't remember why though hehe.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Ok guys great news:

I disabled the NVIDIA Shader Cache AND the Thread Optimization options (both in the NVIDIA Control Panel, although personally I used the third-party Inspecter app)

and I also increased the MAS FRAMES TO RENDER AHEAD slider to 4 (NVIDIAs default option is Application Controlled but otherwise allows settig it from 1 to 4, although Inspecter app allows you to set Max Frames To Render Ahead to 8)

results> STUTTERING / LAG SPIKING COMPLETELY GONE.

I am uploading a video right now to my YT showing me fighting the fish people as it has a massive amount of units there so it was perfect. Youll notice sometimes i pause for some time durig the battle because i was writing out commentary on how ridiculously fast and chaotic everything is during combat with so many units BUT I FORGOT THAT I WAS CAPTURING GAME FOOTAGE DIRECTLY THUS MY COMMENTARY VIA SEPERATE NOTEPAD FILE WAS NOT RECORDED.

In any case:

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Lacrymas

Veteran difficulty, and hey you are preaching to the choir about magic. I actually find it surprising because Ive posted SEVERAL TIMES about the inadequecy of PoE magic system and how it is bad design everything from direct damage being useless as well as the fact that end game combat in POE 1 still required same spamming of same spells (Slicken anyone) = utterly boring banal waste of a magic system.

Im not the one who you need to convince about poe magic system being very uninteresting here, its everyone else ho think RPG magic systems should be about CC/buff/debuff spamming which I find the most banal boring shit ever.

Im a big fan of direct damage spells and since they are useless in poe1 (and poe2) my last few playthroughs of PoE1 I was using spells which INTERRUPTED enemies a lot, especially THRUST OF TATTERED VEILS and the MISSILE spells as well as using odd-ball spells no one uses like Paralyzing Touch because--

--lacking viable direct-DMG spells I realized I could have some fun using ranged feats which affect spells and making casters all take Interrupting Blows.

Simply speaking: I played thru poe1 3 times and i spammed enough Slicken to last me a fuckig lifetime. It is such lazy design!

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
basically i was writing out during that recording how stupidly fast everything happens

how chaotic it is

how winning that battle would require EXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXTREME MICRO MANAGING

etc etc

i also made wrote about the fact that the log window is simply too hard to parse and requires pausing to read everything extensively.

oh and i LOL in real life when i saw the stupidly long list of shit one of my units had when i moused over her i kept going back to it cos i just cant believe how god awful everything is

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
oh for AMD users i dont know what their equivalent of the shader cache option is, but i did further testing and the option that most affects poe2 beta combat is the max frames to render ahead slider, hich is called:

FLIP QUEUE SIZE for AMD Radeon users.

After a quick redo of that fight just now with ONLY the Max Frames to Render Ahead setting changed (set to 4) and everything else back to NVIDIA DEFAULT SETTINGS, the performance as perfectly fine with no spiking.

So, there you all go you can thank me later for solving this.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Increasing the FlipQueueSize or Pre-Rendered frames essentially adds lag to the display / mouse input

Probably not the best long term solution

It's also possible that your PC was doing some other task that was causing high disk usage, which may have been causing your stuttering.

Sizzle

Arcane
It's a shame that there will be no rewards for people who finished PoE1 and then imported the characters into PoE2. The BG series, for example, had the pantaloons - items which you could get (and ultimately combine into a powerful artifact) only by importing your BG1 save into BG2, and then into ToB.

I hoped we would at least get some feats (such as the Llengrath peaceful resolution one) for actually completing PoE1, and which wouldn't be available if we simply started a brand new PoE2 game.

Oh, well.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
It's a shame that there will be no rewards for people who finished PoE1 and then imported the characters into PoE2. The BG series, for example, had the pantaloons - items which you could get (and ultimately combine into a powerful artifact) only by importing your BG1 save into BG2, and then into ToB.

I hoped we would at least get some feats (such as the Llengrath peaceful resolution one) for actually completing PoE1, and which wouldn't be available if we simply started a brand new PoE2 game.

Oh, well.
Yeah, it feels like something that could tie into Berath's Blessing (their 'new game+ that isn't really new game+') pretty easily... give you an achievement which (as I understand berath's blessing) equates to points you can spend to differentiate your game. Seems an easy thing to do if they don't want to actually give a specific in-game bonus carried through.

That said:

Sizzle

Arcane
Another thing I'm hoping they will add (probably under the "Berath's Blessing" mode) - an option to export your character level (again, like in the BG/IWD series), and not have to start the game at Level 1 each time (yes, I'm aware that this would break the logic of the game, what with Eothas stealing all your XP at the beginning, but the BB mode is already a bit of a cheat, so why not).

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Sensuki

I always have had MFTRA set to 1 because of what you mentioned- remember that i play Street Fighter. I have a gaming montior, and special cabling for the absolute least latency possible to be achieved.

i remembered the MFTRA setting and changed it to its maximum to see if it alleviate POE 2 lag-spiking and sure enough, it does. I am very aware of latency and anything that might cause it due to my obsession with Fighting Games.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
btw guys there is a registry option in poe2 folder for FX Opacity ie stuff like the sand-storms in the betas first mission (those ruins you sail to) which obscure every fucking thing onscreen and you cant see shit.

its in hexadecimal but just set your OCCLUSION opacity to max then copy THAT binary info over to the FX Opacity entry, then fire up the game and set your OCCLUSION opacity to your desired level.

I cant believe how annoying the fx Opacity (the sand storms, et al) are!!! as if we didnt have enough shit obscuring everything already, as if visual clarity was already not fucked enough!!!!

Quillon

Arcane
I cant believe how annoying the fx Opacity (the sand storms, et al) are!!! as if we didnt have enough shit obscuring everything already, as if visual clarity was already not fucked enough!!!!

Yeah it was hard watching some vids people playing, especially the dusty map outside kohara, tho I assumed visibility would somehow be better when I will play it myself :P

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Lacrymas Quillon Sizzle

i just realized that the Blunderbuss' POWDER BURNS modal (makes a Blunderbuss attack a small AoE) but the downside is that it gives a malus of -5 PERCEPTION (among all the other stuff PER affects, this means a further -10 ACC) and it makes the character FLANKED (the game establishes that the roar of the Blunderbuss is disorients the character and distracts them thus causing the loss of perception and gamifies it further by giving FLANKED affliction).

I was lookig at this shit and thinking, this shit is NOT optimal no sir NOT optimal AT ALL. And then I read this:

Streetfighter - Sneak Attack and crit damage increases when Flanked or Bloodied (<50% Health). Recovery is slower when neither Flanked nor Bloodied.

sooooooo....

I quickly tested it and yes, it does indeed mean that a Rogue-Streetfighter, dual-wielding blunderbusses with POWDER BURNS modal enabled on BOTH of them will yield a MASSIVE, MASSIVE amount of damage if done as an alpha-strike while in stealth or otherwise invisible to the enemy.

If you EMPOWER the MODAL you are gonna fucking decimate whoever is on the receiving end.

Multiclass that Rogue with a Ranger for one of their many ways to increase ranged ACC or PEN (be it one of their Ranger sub-classes or one of the many Ranger perks for this type of thing)

or

Multiclass that Rogue with a Priest of (sub-class) Skaen. Why you ask (question mark)...

...because Skaen Priests gain access to Rogue perks-abilities-feats but as spells, and SPELLS have different casting and recovery times than abilities or talents and more importantly: spells (most with a few exceptions, but most( increase in effectiveness in a linear fashion when EMPOWERED.

This means that after Alphastriking with the Rogue dual-wielding Blunderbusses using Powder Burns (he will then be suffering a combined -10 PERCEPTION malus as well as FLANKED affliction -- simply then EMPOWER the Skaen Priests spell of Supress Affliction or Escape or whatever.

Need further testing of course.

Also for those interested right now I am finding that single-handed use of 1 single SABRE with off-hand EMPTY is the undisputed best way to deliver CRITICAL HITS reliably, as well as beating out almost every other combination or single-weapon currently in the beta in terms of DPS.

However the One Handed Style while not exactly broken is not the same as in PoE 1 and is not worth picking.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Another weapon with an intersting modal is the Battle Axe:

- Battle Axe modal doubles the recovery time after swinging it (not a big deal really) but in return, if you hit the enemy (this means using empty off-hand for max ACC might be best for this)-- if you land the hit then it will do RAW DAMAGE in addition to its normal damage the battle axe does: it will apply essentially a DEEP WOUNDS affliction on the enemy of 3 dmg per tick.

guess what i thought of how to make that work for something else

MONKS!!!!

Shattered Pillar - Gain Wounds by inflicting damage with melee weapons (fists or otherwise). Lower Max Wound cap, does not gain Wounds from receiving damage

Yes, each tick counts and you receive wounds!

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Some clarification and screens from JES, almost as if HE READS THIS THREAD. :P

So there's no decisions to set for Grieving Mother, Sagani, and Hiravias. Meaning they won't have any presence in Pillars 2? Shame, those were some of my favorite party members.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yes, he said PotD is undertested and underdeveloped. aweigh, the DPS doesn't matter as this isn't an MMO and there is no rotation. Both fast and slow versions will deal exactly the same damage in a single combat encounter, the casters will just blow their load and go cower in the corner faster. What difficulty have you been testing on?

That's a strange statement. Enemies who are dead and/or disabled or even debuffed faster can't harm your party/are much worse at it and it should make a huge difference in the flow of battle.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
How did white march end now again? For some reason I can't remember at all what is what about. Some tribal infighting or something?

with you killing a FUCKING OCTOPUS for some reason

Are you guys being hip and edgy ? Or do people really not read stuff anymore. There's an awesome cyoa moment, involving heroism and destroying an army of giant metal constructs.
I really have a hard time to believe people forgot that, It's the only thing I remember from part 2 but I distinctively remember it since it was pretty badass, casting wizard spells to survive the tides and shit.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
That's a strange statement. Enemies who are dead and/or disabled or even debuffed faster can't harm your party/are much worse at it and it should make a huge difference in the flow of battle.

That mod increases the casting speed of mobs as well, so the relative speeds are the same, especially if melee don't attack the caster's target. At most you gain like 3 seconds if everyone goes all out on a single target (not 3 seconds per mob, 3 seconds total). All this mod does is appease the twitch side of the audience, at least without the balance component of it. Aweigh tells me that there is an optional component that increases Accuracy, damage and Pen of spells.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
all i can i say is that it is much more natural and enjoyable playing poe2 beta with speedmod because spells go off at around the same times they would take in POE 1.

in default poe2 beta the deciding to have a unit cast a spell or do something else usually makes you end with having the unit do something non-spell related simply because itll happen sooner; with speedmod installed you can choose to do what you want to do without worrying overmuch.

the 2nd version of the speedmod also increases DMG spread and Penetration values of a ton of spells, most specifically the cipher and Wizard spellbooks.

basically the 2nd version of the speedmod makes Wizards and Ciphers cast in same allotment of time as in POE 1, AND additionally both class spellbooks all received increases in damage or pen or both.

i havent tried a cipher yet but in the mod thread ppl are gargling mayonnaise praising the guy and for what its worth i also think the game plays much more enjoyable with the 2nd ver. of the mod.

once again i stress that i really cant see how sawyer would think default casting times were good. (theyre already going to be changed btw for next backer update since he says he has received tons of negative feedback about tis)

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I think they are a good idea, too,especially in light of the very limited spell slots. He's on the right track, but the damage values just aren't there. Getting off a damaging spell should be an event, so the necessary tactical preparation is worthwhile.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom