Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Executioner - CYOA horror RPG about the psychology of medieval torturers

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sounds interesting but I dont understand the actual gameplay; do you torture for fun, is there a plot, do you unlock better techniques, does it include a written description of what you are doing? I have images ik my head of the Elvira or Horrosoft games showing those cool death animations bit other than that I am kind of lost really

Fuad

Lesser Evil Games
Developer
So.....am I to understand there is no combat?

Cuz it's kind of hard to call this an RPG without SOME sort of combat.

We move combat out of Kickstarter goal, because we want to make goal as small as possible. But Combat is first of stretch goal and we speak about it in updates soon. I can show you our early combat interface
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...xecutioner-a-horror-rpg-about-a-monster-in-ev
If we didn't make this stretch, then combat will be just series of choices.

I think our concern is not so much "no combat? wtf" and more about the issue that if there is going to be tactical combat, then it can't be an afterthought let alone a stretch goal, it's a core element of your game experience and has to be deeply integrated into the design and fun to play. Frankly I would prefer that you cut combat entirely instead of half-assing it.

Going with a pure CYOA is fine but it really has to be CYOA with emphasis on the C, that's real choices and consequences, with meaningful branching and interesting fail states.

As is say we don't want to go pure CYOA because we want so choices and consequences was maded not out of thin air but from working of game mechanics. So for example player can compensate his low skills with excessive cruelty and face the consequences of his weakness :) And with torture mechanics, The Executioner is already not purest CYOA.

I totaly agree with you that tactical combat must be fully integrated in game system, not added as minigame and that's the reason that this stretch goal cost as 50% of all other campaign. We really want to add it but understand scope of work and problems.

Why is your name Fuad? You are not Muslim, I hope. Because if you are, I hope you are beheaded.

My name is Fuad, because I was born in Azerbaijan and it's arabic name. I'm not a muslim, neither do not belong to any other confession, but I have some Muslim friends and I will be pretty sad if they all will be beheaded.

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
My name is Fuad, because I was born in Azerbaijan and it's arabic name. I'm not a muslim, neither do not belong to any other confession, but I have some Muslim friends and I will be pretty sad if they all will be beheaded.

You should become my friend to gain the perspective of the Medieval Catholic. Would help in the development of the game.

Aenra

You should become my friend to gain the perspective of the Medieval Catholic. Would help in the development of the game.

iron-maiden.jpg

Fuad

Lesser Evil Games
Developer
Sounds interesting but I dont understand the actual gameplay; do you torture for fun, is there a plot, do you unlock better techniques, does it include a written description of what you are doing? I have images ik my head of the Elvira or Horrosoft games showing those cool death animations bit other than that I am kind of lost really

We make some gameplay video in a day but I can try to describe it in words.

The game cycle:
1) You play choose-your-own-adventure, you make some choices, travel around the city, talk with different people, move plot forward, etc. With your actions you Health/Sanity/Stamina changes and you can be killed or go insane. Your actions also influence your Variables Attributes about which I speak here http://executionergame.com/global-variables/
2) Then you go to work. You have victim, have limited time, you need to force victim to sign confession. So you "work" with victim, spend some Stamina/Sanity on different tortures and sign confession (King is happy, execution is legitimate, crowd is placid) or not (King is angry, execution is illegitimate, crowd is angry)
3) Then you go to execution. King usualy doesn't change his decision, so no matter of confession you kill you victim. You can make bloody spectacle out of it (which will cost you some sanity) to calm and instill fear in angry crowd or just be quick and merciful (it's basicaly CYOA choice)
4) Then you return to CYOA and you will trade the part of the victim body (because by tradition it belongs to you), investigate victim's past and maybe you found true criminal and execute him or you just think that everyone is guily. It helps you to create your mindset and worldview (and change your attribute, variables and relationship with different characters)
5) Then you go to work again and again and again until consequences of your former action will not lead to the climax of the plot

Fuad

Lesser Evil Games
Developer

Sweet and open proposal. I agree, my friend :)

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Some guy (a young atheist from Azerbaijan) tries to make a "deep", intellectual game about serious subjects, in "historical" setting. Nothing can go wrong...

Actually when i think about the Azerbaijan part - it might be a positive part, at least he might not be touched by modern western education system and its sensibilities (read = total lack of understanding of history and ahistoricism) but by ex-soviet education system instead which should be - relatively speaking of curse - better not as bad.

As i said, it just can't go wrong...

My prediction:
- gameplay will be terrible (high chance)
- the game will be somewhat interesting despite probable poor gameplay (unknown but low chance).

In short i remain cautiously optimistic. Seriously, in worst case scenario the game might become a source of good lulz, so win/win.

Fuad

Lesser Evil Games
Developer
Some guy (a young atheist from Azerbaijan) tries to make a "deep", intellectual game about serious subjects, in "historical" setting. Nothing can go wrong...

Actually when i think about the Azerbaijan part - it might be a positive part, at least he might not be touched by modern western education system and its sensibilities (read = total lack of understanding of history and ahistoricism) but by ex-soviet education system instead which should be - relatively speaking of curse - better not as bad.

As i said, it just can't go wrong...

My prediction:
- gameplay will be terrible (high chance)
- the game will be somewhat interesting despite probable poor gameplay (unknown but low chance).

In short i remain cautiously optimistic. Seriously, in worst case scenario the game might become a source of good lulz, so win/win.

Thank you (especially for young part :))!

But I want to add that no man is an island and this is not only my game. We have six person in the team and I can be creator of idea and main designer but without them the game never be finished. But all of them from former USSR so our education is based on same principles :)

daveyd

Savant
I appreciate the premise of making an RPG about torture, but methinks a browser based game is taking that premise a bit too far.

Fuad

Lesser Evil Games
Developer
I appreciate the premise of making an RPG about torture, but methinks a browser based game is taking that premise a bit too far.

We based on browser only in demo version and it was close to failure. When we add music it became uncomfortably big to work through html for most of players. Anyway browser demo are much convenient for majority of testers than download aplication. In future we will release on Windows PC through Steam, it doesn't suport browser games.

Should've guessed that the game about torture of course is made by an azerbaijani.
tumblr_nmunojco8I1r0gmhdo1_1280.png
Edit: Seriously though, if it would've been more, err, fantastical version of inquisition, where you'd get to torture some heretics who really are consorting with demons, summon plagues, etc. and not be corrupted yourself would've been neat. But a browser CYOA game where you, what? Just torture some randomly generated schmucks? It's a really strange idea, and it seems to me that you want to ride on controversial topic, kinda like Hatered devs did.

Last edited:

Fuad

Lesser Evil Games
Developer
Should've guessed that the game about torture of course are made by an azerbaijani.

Also I have grandmother from Germany and grandfather from Georgia, so it makes me inheritor to Hitler and Stalin at the same time. With my arabic name I'm heir to ISIS and with my atheist beliefs I'll burn in Hell. That's a hell of background to make games on difficult topics.

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
Should've guessed that the game about torture of course are made by an azerbaijani.

Also I have grandmother from Germany and grandfather from Georgia, so it makes me inheritor to Hitler and Stalin at the same time. With my arabic name I'm heir to ISIS and with my atheist beliefs I'll burn in Hell. That's a hell of background to make games on difficult topics.
Nah, Comrade Stalin is ours, don't even try to monopolize him. :russia:

Fuad

Lesser Evil Games
Developer

We make some gameplay video in a day but I can try to describe it in words.

The game cycle:
1) You play choose-your-own-adventure, you make some choices, travel around the city, talk with different people, move plot forward, etc. With your actions you Health/Sanity/Stamina changes and you can be killed or go insane. Your actions also influence your Variables Attributes about which I speak here http://executionergame.com/global-variables/
2) Then you go to work. You have victim, have limited time, you need to force victim to sign confession. So you "work" with victim, spend some Stamina/Sanity on different tortures and sign confession (King is happy, execution is legitimate, crowd is placid) or not (King is angry, execution is illegitimate, crowd is angry)
3) Then you go to execution. King usualy doesn't change his decision, so no matter of confession you kill you victim. You can make bloody spectacle out of it (which will cost you some sanity) to calm and instill fear in angry crowd or just be quick and merciful (it's basicaly CYOA choice)
4) Then you return to CYOA and you will trade the part of the victim body (because by tradition it belongs to you), investigate victim's past and maybe you found true criminal and execute him or you just think that everyone is guily. It helps you to create your mindset and worldview (and change your attribute, variables and relationship with different characters)
5) Then you go to work again and again and again until consequences of your former action will not lead to the climax of the plot

So I read a bit about your sanity mechanic and I'm still unclear about what the fail state is here. What happens when you deplete sanity? Is that a game over, like Darkest Dungeon's heart attack bs?

Yes, when your Sanity is 0, you dead as well as if your Health is 0.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Sanity lel
Just bring these nihilistic bunch from 4chan or other dumpster and problem solved

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:necro:

Steam page:

The Executioner puts you in the shoes of a man who tortures people for a living while trying to retain his own sanity.

Fusing elements of a traditional RPG with investigation, exploration and moral decision-making, it invites players take on the role of a man who must seek a signed confession from those he is about to put to death.

With a predominantly text-based interface unfolding 20 hours of engaging story, The Executioner promises a dark and unsettling atmosphere, and a world filled with moral ambiguity.

With the threat of revolution on the cards will you fight for monarchy and tradition or revolt in the name of progress? Do you support emerging science or follow the mystical path? Will you desensitize yourself to the violence you have to inflict or try to preserve your humanity?

The decision is yours. So are the consequences.

Note: The game will be released episodically, with a new episode coming out every 2 months.

steam_title_01.png

• The torture chamber: study your victims, find their weak spot, and use your extensive arsenal (or their loved ones) to break them
  • An occult underground: a town filled with mysticism built around Medieval artefacts, such as the Hand of Glory and Mandrake Root
  • A dark economy: a market in dead flesh with you as its main supplier
  • Synesthesia: your character's unique perceptive abilities make him a walking lie detector
  • Staying sane: as a professional torturer you'll need to constantly manage your sanity to survive

The decision is yours. So are the consequences.

Note: The game will be released episodically, with a new episode coming out every 2 months.

I guess this is the consequence of the failed Kickstarter!

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
*game description*
:yeah:

Note: The game will be released episodically

:fuuyeah:

Gotta wait until they're all out, then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom