Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
after i began sinking in into the Beta the first day or so of playig was great, poe goodness albeit with all of the complaints and questionable changes done to the mechanics which make the combat seem more linear than poe1, even though there are now many more options...

however it was after the 1st days glow or honeymoon period of finally having enough time free to really give it a playthrough i began becoming more and more annoyed at the extremely noticeable and extremely frequent (re: every single time) -lag spikes- for lack of a better term during combat animations.

completely has ruined my IRON MAN playthrough of the Backer BETA since by now every single motherfucking combat encounter consists of stuttery bullshit; and its very hard to describe because:

- this is not the usual slideshow thing (frame rate dipping wildly)
- this is not constat game stutter (texture and game data load becoming bottle necked somewhere)

it is a very weird thing that looks actually more like ONLINE GAME ROLLBCK CODE to me, and ive never seen it happen in a SINGLE PLAYER OFFLINE GAME.

At any rate i know it isnt something mysterious im just annoyed that poe2 will probably have such shit-show performance durig large encounters because with the game launching april 3rd i guarantee you there will not be any MAGIC DAY 1 PATCHES for combat performance.

anyone who thinks shit like this will be polished in less than 1 month is smoking better shit than mine, thats for sure.

And now the obligatory mention that yes DUH OF COURSE my rig runs POE 1 and runs it above-average.

EDIT: i want to stress once again that in THIS TYPE OF GAME such moments of stutter-spiking during combat make encounters a complete shit-show which forces the player (me) to PAUSE right after the SPIKE and pore through the Combat LOG to see all the random shit that happened during the Lag Spike.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Ah, I meant it dips frame rates, not literal lag like in MMOs. Haven't got that, but eerily similar rollbacks happen in NWN2 a lot.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Lacrymas

my rig isnt that good so, as happened when i played PoE 1 i find myself in a unique position of being able to play these games and find random shit that affects performance.

back when i played thru poe1 i had an older rig which could barely play POE1, i played thru anyway with a 20-30 frame-rate (can u imagine that shit) and guess what i discovered//

i discovered that if i turned off all feedback Circles that i would see a bump in my frame-rate sometimes from 5 to 10 extra frames!

I made a video of it and uploaded it to my YT and have mentioned it many times to people struggling with performance in POE 1.

hoever i went and bought myself a brand new rig (still entry level parts but at least now POE would run at 60+ FPS) so now my rig is too good for miniscule things like feedback circles increasing or decreasig performance...

...but guess fucking what// yep, feedback circles STILL make frame rate dip in PoE 2 except now i only get +1 or +2 framerate increase heh.

anyway i have been testig (re: playig) and the lag spikes during combat hit hardest when abilities are used concurrently soooooo.... dont know what else to say really. i wish there was a way of tweaking the graphics more.

another thing i can definitely confirm is that regardless of amount of abilities or spells about to pop off the simple amount of on-screen units will definitely increase spiking and the severity of the lag-spike.

this bothers me deeply because i am really looking foward to POE 2 and do not have money right now to buy new parts (and the rig i currently have is plenty capable of playing AAA games at 720p) and the one thing i enjoy about the game is the one thing that is affected most severely...

i think i might ask GoG to refund me as they refund pre-orders immediately.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
yes, rollbacks exactly thats why i found it so weird! never seen that shit in a sigle player game!

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i would actually just prefer simple and normal frame rate dip than this odd ROLLBACK shit because at least then one can play normally just with bad performance.

this poe 2 rollback-spiking is not only annoying it really fucks up combat entirely as suddenly all unit actions become FAST-FOWARD themselves and who the fuck knows what happened.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
oh i did, i am a huge NWN2 fanboy. and i played (recurrig theme here) first time i played thru NWN2 i did it on a super shitty laptop with such poor performance it was a testament to how much i enjoyed nwn2.

i mean, im the only motherfucker here who defends NWN2 OC! (points at nwn2 oc was not bad thread)

i played nwn2 when it came out, played it thru again a 2nd time when i got the expansions in a bundle, and last time i played ALL 3 campaigns of nwn2 was in 2012 with my then-partner who i practically forced to play thru NWN2 cos i wanted to introduce her to RPGs (she loved it, but were not together anymore... COINCIDENCE///////1!!!)

i gotta say nwn2 just had normal slow-down for me all times i played it not this FAST FOWARD BULLSHIT in poe2.

Lacrymas

Arcane
That's the only single-player game I've ever played that had the MMO-like lag. I haven't gotten that in the PoE2 beta, just frame rate dips.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Lacrymas

btw i tried out the speed mod for poe2. unsurprisingly having shorter casting times for spells and some abilities (affects enemies too obviously) makes the game play much more like PoE 1 and infinitely more enjoyable. i cannot imagine going back to the casting times in the beta un-modified.

this mod, assuming when poe2 launches the castig times are the same (probably will be); this Speed Mod will likely become probably most recommended/downloaded mod on release of PoE 2, as anyone who tries it will IMMEDIATELY prefer shorter casting times.

indeed, i dont kno hy u havent tried it yet! once you do there is simply no logical way to argue in favor of the BETA casting times; the Speed Mod (there are two versions btw) completely blows out of the water Sawyers assertions that tweaking these values would make spells somehow OP.

So, uh yeah i recommend the PoE 2 Beta speed mods it doesnt fix the root problems in PoE 2 regarding spells and caster-classes but it DOES make playing with a pure caster in the party MORE FUN and REWARDING and in no way at all does it break anything related to difficulty (which sawyer said it would).

Lacrymas

Arcane
Did it somehow fix the very limited damage casters can do and their lack of penetration on PotD, making their spells hit like plastic bags? I very much doubt it, because those things aren't related to the speed. It probably "feels" better because the game isn't balanced well for those casting times in the first place, so it's whatever, at least it's fast. I don't see what's rewarding about failing faster. Josh also specifically said that he doesn't play on PotD and that PotD is the least tested and tuned difficulty, so his assertion that faster casts will kill the difficulty is related to the modes below PotD.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
apparently NVIDIAs global shader cache option and also its thread optimization toggle (wtf does that even though) may POSSIBLY cause stuttering in a lot of games according to my GOOGLING so:

- i will now turn off nvidia shader cache and also am following procedure to completely delete all traces of the existing compiled cache (requires tedious deletion of registry entries and re-bootings and stuff because NVIDIA drivers rebuild it instantly on boot even if you disable Shader Cache option)

- test poe2 beta combat

- Report back here with verdict.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Lacrymas

uhhh i typed specifically that speed mod does not fix root of problem ith poe2 caster types (this including stuff you mentioned) it only shortens the animation timers by reasonable amount (like i said there are versions of the mod with different speeds)

i typed that it mames playing poe2 BETA with a pure caster-type in the party much more fun.

thats all.

EDIT: oh and that it it does not somehow make casters OP, as Sawyer said would happen. instead it makes the poe2 beta play... almost exactly like poe1, that is to say much better feeling and flowing.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Lacrymas

I could argue though that being able to cast a plastic-bag fireball twice in the time it would take to cast ONCE (in default Beta) is an improvement for caster DPS though. you have to use the fastest version of the Speed Mod for that though. and no, even then it STILL doesnt feel in ANY WAY whatsoever like being OP.

like i said it just feels like poe1.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Maybe the nurfed magic is because of your party? If spells are too powerful could wipe you fast? Not that i have seen much of spell usage in PoE from the AI. Still there are a few annoying damage spells,mainly the one that takes damage over time,rotten maggots or something along those lines.

Naesaki

Novice
Did it somehow fix the very limited damage casters can do and their lack of penetration on PotD, making their spells hit like plastic bags? I very much doubt it, because those things aren't related to the speed. It probably "feels" better because the game isn't balanced well for those casting times in the first place, so it's whatever, at least it's fast. I don't see what's rewarding about failing faster. Josh also specifically said that he doesn't play on PotD and that PotD is the least tested and tuned difficulty, so his assertion that faster casts will kill the difficulty is related to the modes below PotD.

I imagine the sample size of people trying PotD in the beta and giving feedback on it is also unfortunately very low? I do think there is something inherently rewarding about those kind of difficulties in games when it is done right but sadly not many games ever get it right and unless there's a big shift in people trying PotD when its released, it could end up being an ongoing problem.

Though if PoE 2 is more open to modding it may be less of a problem but then its just the age old habit of relying on modders to fix everything when really the Devs should be pulling their socks up a bit more to treat all difficulties fairly, even if not as many people even bother looking at PotD.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Yes, he said PotD is undertested and underdeveloped. aweigh, the DPS doesn't matter as this isn't an MMO and there is no rotation. Both fast and slow versions will deal exactly the same damage in a single combat encounter, the casters will just blow their load and go cower in the corner faster. What difficulty have you been testing on?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Yes, he said PotD is undertested and underdeveloped. aweigh, the DPS doesn't matter as this isn't an MMO and there is no rotation. Both fast and slow versions will deal exactly the same damage in a single combat encounter, the casters will just blow their load and go cower in the corner faster. What difficulty have you been testing on?
It does matter if you try to kill someone fast,fireball is not the only spell.

Sizzle

Arcane
Considering TWM ended with an, arguably, even more important decision than the end of the base game - it would have been downright retarded and insulting not to include it.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Ok i must ask,how will they carry over? Will i need a save from the game or will you chose from a list?
You can import a POE1 save. Otherwise, you have to go through the backstory generator Anthony mentioned and make decisions. We have no idea what the latter will look like at this point.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How did white march end now again? For some reason I can't remember at all what is what about. Some tribal infighting or something?

Sentinel

Arcane
How did white march end now again? For some reason I can't remember at all what is what about. Some tribal infighting or something?
with you killing a FUCKING OCTOPUS for some reason

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom