Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Does the PoE Keep world generator have choices for everything that obsidian imported from a normal PoE save game or just a few?

I remember the dragon age one having a lot of choices but not all that you could have imported from a save game the traditional way.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yes, I assumed there are some but I meant ones that are extremely significant not like the ones in PoE1 where DR reduction buffs and debuffs are overall not great. Except form of helpless beast which resets DR. As I said ones more alike to Shadowrun where stripping targets of armour proactively was often very important especially in some encounters where enemies had full bar of armour.

Since all spells are per-encounter, having debuffs that significantly reduce armor will make the Penetration mechanic obsolete and will be an automatic spell to cast at the start of every battle.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Does the PoE Keep world generator have choices for everything that obsidian imported from a normal PoE save game or just a few?

At one point they suggested that there might be some choices that you can't customize in the Keep, but I don't remember where.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Yes, I assumed there are some but I meant ones that are extremely significant not like the ones in PoE1 where DR reduction buffs and debuffs are overall not great. Except form of helpless beast which resets DR. As I said ones more alike to Shadowrun where stripping targets of armour proactively was often very important especially in some encounters where enemies had full bar of armour.

Since all spells are per-encounter, having debuffs that significantly reduce armor will make the Penetration mechanic obsolete and will be an automatic spell to cast at the start of every battle.

There could be ones that add armour significantly as well, do not think of it as an extra few additions but an entire layer. Where keeping an eye on and proactively buffing and debuffing armour. Again if one could enough armour that it was essentially impenetrable without debuffing also then you have for yourself another tactical dilemma at any given moment.

I think it would significantly better because it adds depth to a system that is basically at the moment both very one-dimensional but also very critical. I think diversifying and expanding on its roots could lead to a really tactical experience.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Having buffs that significantly increase armor will be even worse, it will either make the mobs hit like wet noodles, making it an OP and automatic spell (like Defensive Mindweb), or it won't do anything if mobs have high enough Pen, making it pointless. What you are describing is basically Accuracy vs defenses, that tactical layer is already there, there's no need to add basically the same thing on top, but worse. Unless you mean the debuffs and buffs last like 5 seconds and you constantly have to micromanage that? It will become really old, really fast. It's better to uproot the cause of the problem, the way too specific margins, rather than trying and failing to design around that.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Having buffs that significantly increase armor will be even worse, it will either make the mobs hit like wet noodles, making it an OP and automatic spell (like Defensive Mindweb), or it won't do anything if mobs have high enough Pen, making it pointless. What you are describing is basically Accuracy vs defenses, that tactical layer is already there, there's no need to add basically the same thing on top, but worse. Unless you mean the debuffs and buffs last like 5 seconds and you constantly have to micromanage that? It will become really old, really fast. It's better to uproot the cause of the problem, the way too specific margins, rather than trying and failing to design around that.

Where would you set the penetration thresholds and their penalties?

Lacrymas

Arcane
What I'd do is reduce damage by ~10% for every ~1.5, maybe even 2, points of Pen below the AR rating, for a minimum of 30% damage. Maybe, just throwing numbers around, but those are way more palatable.

The other problem with the way it's designed is that if boss monsters have a lot of Pen, armor becomes meaningless even on your tanks. So whoop-di-doo, better strip them down for faster action speed and literally zero penalties. If they can't penetrate your tank's armor, then lolol, just tank and spank with no effort.

Efe

Erudite
why have thresholds, just do small % modifier like everything else in the game.
each point of penetration adds %3 to damage minimum , %2 crit damage increase
each point of armor removes %3 from damage maximum, %2 crit damage reduction
on top of a lowered flat reduction like poe1

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
If they are going to make armour points fine gradient then might as well return to DR at that point and just keep penetration a percentage reduction, which would be my preferred solution actually.

Also I think another point is how recover times aren't very balanced when everyone should have heaviest armour and two-weapons. Two-weapons being multiplicative of recovery is just bad design and leads to situations like having a pistol and sword means you shoot faster than just having a pistol.

Lacrymas

Arcane
This all circles back to the pointlessness of removing DR. They just had to figure out a way for it to be relevant at high levels as well.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
For all you Orlan baby snatchers :D

Maybe the Orlan baby will become the new vessel for Eothas, after leaving the statue. Vela means candle, in spanish, so idk, maybe he is the bringer of light/ fire.

Sannom

Augur
"Yeah, so orcs, but like, at the beach! Dude, have you ever heard of beach bum orcs? This shit's original. Make them a bit like the Maori or something, that's it."
Every time I see comments like that, I wonder how people could be so blind as to miss the fact that the Aumaua aren't a barbarian savage horde and thus are lacking the main thing that makes orcs, orcs.

frajaq

Erudite
Every time I see comments like that, I wonder how people could be so blind as to miss the fact that the Aumaua aren't a barbarian savage horde and thus are lacking the main thing that makes orcs, orcs.

lol just lol if people don't side with the Royal Deadfire Company in PoE 2

there is no other choice, are you going to side with savage natives, arrogant italians or scumbag pirates?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
jesus fucking crist dont tag my post as old as if im pushing some agenda against the game

i am a public fan of poe i am merely wondering if its my PC rig, or if it is common for everybody

fuckig motherfuckers always trying to skate uphill in these place...

Lacrymas

Arcane
The beta is extremely unoptimized and I got some combat lag once in a while. Unity is a pos, though, so don't expect it to be massively better at release. There are hiccups in their own promotional material after all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom