Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Secret of Mana 3D remake

Duraframe300

Arcane
I've now played through Adventures of Mana on the psvita. And as far as remakes go it was pretty decent (Far better than Sword of Mana aside from graphics).
So yeah, looking forward to this.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
The hideous engine and ugly models aside, isn't it shocking how the music becomes 249832498384 times better when they switch it back to the originals?

God, I, like, literally can't even how ugly the music is. And the game. And how janky. How can they do this? Do they not care about their reputation? Who is going to buy this?!

Last edited:

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
What an absolute travesty. https://www.mymbuzz.com/2017/11/20/secret-of-mana-remake-interview-sequel-series/
We did not want to change the story or musical performances from the original so we paid close attention right from the start as to how we could show them in an even more appealing light, while still retaining the same feel as they had before. [...] Hiroki Kikuta, the original composer, has been helping us with the entirety of the BGM. None of the other developers on the original title, aside from Mr. Kikuta, are on the development team itself.
Poor guy.
Let's not forget this weird-ass, completely out of place, yet infinitely memorable boss theme:

The inspiration:

I'll remember you how you were, Kikuta.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
In the German release (the translation was even weirder than the US one; the gnomes, for example, left you in the cauldron because a famous German soap opera was on TV they wanted to catch. Seriously.) the game came in a big box with the equivalent of a Prima art guide, containing all the official artwork and promotional material. Those images invited you to dream and fantasize. As a kid, that bit of art really helped make the game feel 100x bigger than it really was.

Last edited:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
50d1dd82d49a167fce6ed3e4220dd19a.jpg

From this guide I mentioned.

newtmonkey

Arcane
This remake is garbage.

Like you said, all this stuff helps to draw you in for sure. But BEYOND that, the people who made this game originally gave enough of a shit to have all this kickass artwork made. You can 100% feel the atmosphere of the artwork in the (limited) graphics of the game (which of course looked BEAUTIFUL at the time) and the music, which is ruined in this remake.

There was a time when even the Japanese developers really did give a shit about what they were making. Companies like Square Enix now care only about "retro bucks" and "cool bucks." If they really gave a shit about SD2/SOM and wanted to present it to a modern audience as it was presented to people back in the day, they would have spared no expense because this game back in the day was top tier in terms of graphics and music on the SFC/SNES.

FFS even compare this with the FF 1&2 remakes that were released on the PSX and Wonderswan, or the Makaitoshi SaGa (Final Fantasy Legend) remake on the Wonderswan, where the games feature some of the most beautiful 2D artwork ever in a 320x240 game.

lightbane

Arcane
By comparison, this is the promotional image Square used everywhere for this game

seiken2SoM_01_019fix.jpg

Jesus, even the not-Chocobo has retarded hair/looks. :retarded:

Then again, this is a trash tier game using an engine from a mobile game, so absolute FAIL was to be expected.

imweasel

Secret of Mana is easily one of the best RPGs ever made... from a distinguished and forgotten time when Japs could actually make great games.

I played it at least five or six times as a kid and was really looking forward to the remake. Too bad it turned out to be a turd.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
My brother was interested on this and picked it for consoles (He's kind of Seiken densetsu fag, he even bought the japanese switch trilogy compilation). Basically the game is a 1:1 3D port of the original, with a subpar graphical update. The soundtrack it's not a problem since you can change this retarded new version to the original. But as I said in somewhere in this thread, Secret of Mana is a game with a meticulous art and sound direction. This remake has some good touches like watching enemies and bosses turning around with their fully 3D models, but definetively doesn't transmit the same feels that the original game does.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Jesus, even the not-Chocobo has retarded hair/looks. :retarded:

Then again, this is a trash tier game using an engine from a mobile game, so absolute FAIL was to be expected.

But he had that hair in the original as well? Like exactly that hair. Did you play the original?

Seriously, currently playing it and have no problem so far.

Maybe I don't see what the problem is because I'm damaged by Square's other effotts?

Because compared to the garbage that was Final Fantasy 3,4,5, and 6 this looks like a fairly accurate adaption to me. Gameplay wise as well.

Of course. Emphasis on CHEAP 3D. But way better than the trash that came before it.

P.S. Also why are people comparing in game screenshots with artwork?

Cromwell

Arcane
In the German release (the translation was even weirder than the US one; the gnomes, for example, left you in the cauldron because a famous German soap opera was on TV they wanted to catch. Seriously.) the game came in a big box with the equivalent of a Prima art guide, containing all the official artwork and promotional material. Those images invited you to dream and fantasize. As a kid, that bit of art really helped make the game feel 100x bigger than it really was.

all the square translations were shit back then, If I remember correctly the lab of the professor in evermore was located in the same village as the german nintendo headquarter. Also, didnt all these games come with the strategy guide? I had one for mana, evermore and terranigma.

imweasel

If I remember correctly the lab of the professor in evermore was located in the same village as the german nintendo headquarter.
Yes, but only in the German version I believe: Großostheim :)

Also, didnt all these games come with the strategy guide? I had one for mana, evermore and terranigma.
Yep. They were big box games.

Rolo

Literate
Jesus, even the not-Chocobo has retarded hair/looks.

Well no fucking shit, this is a typical Japo game of which the only redeeming quality is that it was released long ago.

Everyone suddenly acts like it is a glorious "classic" that is butchered by an unfaithful remake, even though it was a fucktarded Japfail game with terrible chibi cartoon art direction and braindead gameplay even back in 1993.

Just because a game is old and you played it as a kid doesn't make it not-shit.

Cromwell

Arcane
Jesus, even the not-Chocobo has retarded hair/looks.

Well no fucking shit, this is a typical Japo game of which the only redeeming quality is that it was released long ago.

Everyone suddenly acts like it is a glorious "classic" that is butchered by an unfaithful remake, even though it was a fucktarded Japfail game with terrible chibi cartoon art direction and braindead gameplay even back in 1993.

Just because a game is old and you played it as a kid doesn't make it not-shit.

Monday - you dont even have a date yet newfag

Rolo

Literate
Monday - you dont even have a date yet newfag
Not only did I originally join in 2006, but anyone fapping to Japanese games is in no position to try to play the authentic KKKodex purist card.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom