Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

PrettyDeadman

Now that the dust has settled, I'm realizing that KCD only does a few things better than modded Skyrim.

The graphics are better. You have more horse-related options. Layered armor is nice. The combat COULD be really good if it's rejiggered.

But in a game about historical knights, where humans are the only enemies, there isn't even jousting.
What about quests/charcaters and writing? All of that are brilliant in KCD but shit in Skyrim.
Also the character system and combat system.
It's hard to find a single thing which Skyrim does better. It was a pretty looking game for its time which was the only redeeming quality it had, but as you said - KCD looks better.

KateMicucci

Arcane
What about quests/charcaters and writing? All of that are brilliant in KCD but shit in Skyrim.
It's hard to find a single thing which Skyrim does better. It was a pretty looking game for its time which was the only redeeming quality it had, but as you said - KCD looks better.
Mostly boring fetch quests and the other quests involve lots of talking. Lots of very long, boring cutscenes. Especially ones where Henry retells the story of the first two hours of the game. There have been a few interesting quests, but Skyrim had a few interesting quests too.

Why you think the character system is better? It's very similar to Skyrim except that even the minimal health/stamina/mana stats were removed. It would be hard to even make the argument that KCD's perks are better thought out.

As others have detailed already, the combat system is broken in a number of ways balance and mechanicswise. Forced lockons, master strikes, badly implemented damage scaling late game. Polearms aren't functional and horseback combat isn't any more advanced than it was in Skyrim.

Things Skyrim does better?
Enemy variety- huge one. KCD has only dismounted humans while Skyrim has animals, wizards, dragons, fish monsters, ghosts, etc. Quest, environment, dungeon variety. Character creation. Absolute number of quests. More rewarding exploration. Weapon and armor crafting. Skyrim even has greater weapon variety (crossbows and 2-handed axes), which is really sad. I haven't finished the main quest of either game, but it's said that Skyrim's main quest has an actual ending and KCD doesn't.

Elex

Arbiter

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
the real question is why Elex don’t have a SJW controversy for boosting sales when in game everyone is white or more white (and black people exist only in some npc notes).
Beacuse it's not famous enough for a fat-ass loser to go "Hey, I'm going to bitch and whine against this famous thing, to gain some clicks and fame for myself".

Beowulf

Arcane
dunno where you got 68
PS4 version.

Sorry Elex, there's eurojank and there's eurogemk...
Elex has better ratings than Kingdom Come on Steam. Probably because it is the better game.
the real question is why Elex don’t have a SJW controversy for boosting sales when in game everyone is white or more white (and black people exist only in some npc notes).

Elex is sci-fi, and in sci-fi you can show even improbable ideas, like mostly white society.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Because Elex was a irrelevant release in the wider gaming community because it didn't have pwetty gwafix, and none of the developers were outspoken gamergaters especially no one high up like Vavra. Elex

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Ok, who's responsible for this?

Somebody should make a "historically accurate" "MAXIMUM DIVERSITY" mod for shits and giggles, i.e. every single character in the game is African-American. :lol:
Make only the bandits and thieves African-American. It'd be more realistic.
Also make their bowmen hold the bow sideways :D
When shooting from the horse, Henry already holds the bow sideways. His African American blood is calling - "Hey, let's do a proper drive-by!".

imweasel

Good question, because Piranha Bytes doesn't give two shits about the regressive agenda of SJWs and libtards either. Publisher meddling perhaps? Warhorse and Vavra handled the situation a lot differently.

It is a shame, because I would have really liked to see Elex sell a million copies too. It such an addictive and great game.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Good question, because Piranha Bytes doesn't give two shits about the regressive agenda of SJWs and libtards either. Publisher meddling perhaps? Warhorse and Vavra handled the situation a lot differently.

It is a shame, because I would have really liked to see Elex sell a million copies too. It such an addictive and great game.

Elex was made by germans who are naturally a lot more wary of saying or doing anything that might get them called nazis.

Loved Elex, but KCD is better.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Dare me.

a4e5e7503b.png

Elex

Arbiter
The translation is indeed weird, but I suspect the foreigners (ie the most people buying this) can't differentiate between Rattay and whatever random fantasy town name, so it does not matter. I just automatically translate it in my head when playing. Sassau my ass.

Yeah, watching streams and YT it really seems nobody gives a shit. Except most people can't wrap their heads around Wenceslaus, Przybyslawitz, Uzhits and Woyzeck. Wenceslaus is kindda oficial but I'd swap it for Wenzel. The rest should not be anywhere near the game, jesus christ.
in my localization the game use the relative historical translation on names, but for adaptet name (X in KCD is Y) use the game name.

Elex

Arbiter
has anyone else experienced stolen items turning into normal items randomly on reload?

I sold around 7k worth of...creatively acquired...goods thanks to this.
yes all the times, i think was about moving out of the zone i stolen them.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Mostly boring fetch quests and the other quests involve lots of talking. Lots of very long, boring cutscenes. Especially ones where Henry retells the story of the first two hours of the game. There have been a few interesting quests, but Skyrim had a few interesting quests too.

Why you think the character system is better? It's very similar to Skyrim except that even the minimal health/stamina/mana stats were removed. It would be hard to even make the argument that KCD's perks are better thought out.

As others have detailed already, the combat system is broken in a number of ways balance and mechanicswise. Forced lockons, master strikes, badly implemented damage scaling late game. Polearms aren't functional and horseback combat isn't any more advanced than it was in Skyrim.

Things Skyrim does better?
Enemy variety- huge one. KCD has only dismounted humans while Skyrim has animals, wizards, dragons, fish monsters, ghosts, etc. Quest, environment, dungeon variety. Character creation. Absolute number of quests. More rewarding exploration. Weapon and armor crafting. Skyrim even has greater weapon variety (crossbows and 2-handed axes), which is really sad. I haven't finished the main quest of either game, but it's said that Skyrim's main quest has an actual ending and KCD doesn't.

The people on this thread are having none of that, it's one of the best game they've ever played and that's that, no man left behind. KCD is Skyrim/Oblivion with a prettier coat of paint but that shouldn't be a surprise, we are comparing Cryengine with the inbreed Gamebryo. The only thing we have to distinguish between these games is the amount of disgusting cinematics in KCD that take your ability to control your character every time something interesting happens. Oh yes, and you can wash your knickers, this seems to give everyone a boost of adrenaline:lol:

Elex

Arbiter
What happens to Henry's would-be-criminal friends from Skalitz? After I got the Cuman disguise the quest to actually do the raiding (where?) never showed up!

Also, has anyone said here already that polearms are OBVIOUS cut content? You can ask Bernard for training, but nothing happens. There is no Polearm skill either. Rushed development is rushed... =/
polearm are only disabled: a mod can activate then.

mildTea

Learned
I will say that bows on horseback are a definite exploit. Now, I wouldn't be saying that if enemies were smart enough to actually mount their own horses if they have them, but they can't/don't, so it's just overpowered.

I never saw a horse rider except in quests.

Vávra explained in one interview that they had an auto-riding system ready for horses which could be also used by a player, but its obstacle avoidance was "too good" and on a regular road the horse would avoid all the pebbles and thus every track would be a crazy slalom race. They couldn't figure out how to keep the horses avoiding large obstacles while ignoring the small ones and so they scratched it. I think this is why we only see horse riders in the scripted sequences where someone manually edited their path.

Dude make your own thread about Czech gramatics, nobody cares.
Czech grammar.

Polygon has finally written up something and it's not a review. Actually their own readers don't know what it is :)

Hyomoto:
I hate to be so blunt, but what’s the theme of this piece? It starts off as a description of how you came to enjoy it, stumbles into an armchair developer bit, and ends on … a reflective observation? Even if I ignore the hyperbole and self-congratulatory tone, I’m just left wondering what you wanted it to do.
Sell the reader on the game? Convince people it’s good? Tell everyone that you figured out how to play it? Comment on the homogenization of genres? Maybe espouse the benefits of enjoying the game for what it is? Any one of those could be true, but are any of them the point of the piece? It reads like three articles got smashed together. I did not care for it.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom