Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/95782-worldofeternity-funny-business-speculation/?p=1980355

The code is next to the body, on it's left side.

Yup. There it is!

HTEPbK

5vVHwYQ.gif

Trashos

Arcane
I purposefully wrote "level 12" because I remember that starting from scratch in BG2 meant starting with less than 161k xp. I think it depended on the chosen class ? I don't really remember.

Shadows of Amn newcomers start at 89k XP IIRC (or thereabouts). It is level 7 for a fighter.

Sizzle

Arcane
:excerpt from Lacrymas' initial impressions of the released version:

"... but by far the biggest disappointment, even worse than the penetration mechanics, is how they handled Vela and my PC's relationship with her. As a Priest of Skaen, he never could have fostered such a positive and sweet child. Another role-playing fail by Obsidian. Next time, give me an option to corrupt her, and maybe I won't sacrifice her to Skaen. Maybe."

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It totally fits with my character, though, down to a T. She is a female orlan as well and I'll pretend she was born into a slave family who raised her to be a good little assassin of Skaen. Now that she's officially recognized as literally an aristocratic lord, she thinks Skaen will abandon her, so she passes on her abilities to another female orlan child. Brilliant and cyclical.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
People fapping all about consequences in their games like they don't have enough consequences in their life because of their poor ass judgements! :)
Why wouldn't the devs want to encourage people to play all the games in a series, though? They are already adding the choice generator, so having just a few extra bits for people who have finished the game doesn't seem such a stretch or an unthinkable prospect. I just realized how necessary the hyperlinks are if devs' first priority is explaining stuff we already know to newbies. Can you imagine going through the ridiculous lore dumps again because they are there for the newcomes? *shudder* It's also kinda sleazy to focus your sequel for newcomers when the fans you already have made that sequel possible.
stachiev.png

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
OR, OR, HEAR ME OUT HERE! This got me really excited! We force the child to undergo the Effigy ritual while using Eothas' blood (or whatever he has) and turn her into a permanent companion until Eothas is defeated! Fuck me, that would be the first thing I'd program in if I was a programmer at Obs.

Fredward

Scholar
Huh. When Josh kept mentioning that there would be "consequences" for being a baby stealer I thought for sure he meant the statue was just gonna casually step on it on its way out.

Anyone know how granular the choices are gonna be if you don't import but wanna set up the backstory?

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Huh. When Josh kept mentioning that there would be "consequences" for being a baby stealer I thought for sure he meant the statue was just gonna casually step on it on its way out.

Anyone know how granular the choices are gonna be if you don't import but wanna set up the backstory?

The backstory generator that you can use has a LOT of questions. I have no idea how the consequences play out, other than the orlan baby being your cabin boy/ward.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

The backstory generator that you can use has a LOT of questions. I have no idea how the consequences play out, other than the orlan baby being your cabin boy/ward.

Good to hear! As I'm sure you saw, we were discussing just that a page or two back. Do you know if there's a 'canon' backstory for new players that don't want to answer tons of questions on the backstory generator? I think most of us will have save games to import from POE1, but just curious on the implementation for new players.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer

Good to hear! As I'm sure you saw, we were discussing just that a page or two back. Do you know if there's a 'canon' backstory for new players that don't want to answer tons of questions on the backstory generator? I think most of us will have save games to import from POE1, but just curious on the implementation for new players.

I believe there is a post from Josh somewhere that lists the backstories the game ships with. I think there are 4, and maybe there will be more. I have NO idea which one is canon.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
I think adding into the game direct armour buffs and debuffs could diversify the concurrently single-minded approach to penetration where more is always better, would also make casters more interesting. For example wizard could have a buff that gives absurd amount of armour ratings that it cannot be penetrated and druid could have melt armour or some such that reduces armour enough that stacking penetration is not ideal. In a way, it would be alike to Shadowrun: Hong Kong where armour manipulation underscored a lot of your proactive actions.

Basically, if you make penetration and armour such important mechanics to the dynamic of the combat, if you try to diminish its impact one way or another it will feel counter-intuitive and tacked on. The best way to go on about it would be to integrate it even more deeply and make it the base layer which rest of the mechanics are founded upon. If the systems are going full retard, you can only go with it to the light at the end of the tunnel.

Last edited:

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
There are armor buffs and debuffs.

Yes, I assumed there are some but I meant ones that are extremely significant not like the ones in PoE1 where DR reduction buffs and debuffs are overall not great. Except form of helpless beast which resets DR. As I said ones more alike to Shadowrun where stripping targets of armour proactively was often very important especially in some encounters where enemies had full bar of armour.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom