Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 1 is the best RPG of all time that stood the test of time

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
I liked Arcanum and Prelude to Darkness more than Fallout. Their settings, writing, and atmosphere were superior.

A lot of books and movies have settings, writing, and atmosphere superior to Fallout 1. Still it's a sum of all parts, gameplay, reactivity.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I liked Arcanum and Prelude to Darkness more than Fallout. Their settings, writing, and atmosphere were superior.

A lot of books and movies have settings, writing, and atmosphere superior to Fallout 1. Still it's a sum of all parts, gameplay, reactivity.
yes, but what I'm saying is that I enjoyed these 2 games more than Fallout. Fallout would be my #3 though. These 3 RPGs and fourth that is Gothic are basically perfect RPGs in my opinion

thesoup

Arcane
Fallout 1 is overrated.
It's fine to elaborate, this isn't twitter ;)
It feels like a half finished game someone did in his basement, which is basically what fallout is - the post mortem by Tim Cain made that clear. The entire game is interesting only in concept, everything but the ability to approach a problem is poorly executed. S.P.E.C.I.A.L. is trash, combat is retarded, companions are dumb and meaningless, the story and the game world are barren, boring and not particularly well written.

It was a project made out of boredom and for shits and giggles, eventually outgrowing its humble origins but lacking the execution to do so well.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
It feels like a half finished game someone did in his basement, which is basically what fallout is - the post mortem by Tim Cain made that clear. The entire game is interesting only in concept, everything but the ability to approach a problem is poorly executed. S.P.E.C.I.A.L. is trash, combat is retarded, companions are dumb and meaningless, the story and the game world are barren, boring and not particularly well written.

It was a project made out of boredom and for shits and giggles, eventually outgrowing its humble origins but lacking the execution to do so well.

And then everybody tried to do the same but better, and it somehow never came out right.

thesoup

Arcane

And then everybody tried to do the same but better, and it somehow never came out right.
Who is this "everybody"?
There's a lot of better games out there.
New Vegas is better than F1 in every way.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
thesoup needs a dumbfucking.

It was a project made out of boredom and for shits and giggles

What do you think VentilatorOfDoom ?

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
contrarian
kənˈtrɛːrɪən/
noun
noun: contrarian; plural noun: contrarians
  1. 1.
    a person who opposes or rejects popular opinion, especially in CRPG dealings.
    "it has become fashionable to be a CRPG contrarian"
adjective
adjective: contrarian
  1. 1.
    opposing or rejecting popular opinion or current practice.
    "the comment came more from a contrarian disposition than moral conviction"

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
Who is this "everybody"?

Everybody as in almost every RPG after Fallout is affected by it. All the open-world RPGs. All the RPGs with social elements. Switching Choice & Consequnce from good/evil dichotomy to web of decisions. Games like Morrowind or Knights of the Old Republic are almost more like Fallout than previous games of the series. Plus we have a disproportional number of postapocalyptic games.

I would agree there are better games to play today. New Vegas might be better in *most* ways than Fallout 1 but it brings unique problems Fallout 1 never had and those problems might be more noticeable than its advantages. Of course it features better UI and graphics, but it also has bigger problem. You expect more from a world that you can observe in detail from first person. That's why people might prefer Tetris to any and all games - it's perfect, it has no flaws.

I think Divinity Original Sin 2 would be a stronger case, but maybe it's too fresh to judge. And even then Fallout 1 has an advantage of being the first of its kind, genre-defining RPG.

thesoup

Arcane
thesoup needs a dumbfucking.

It was a project made out of boredom and for shits and giggles

What do you think VentilatorOfDoom ?
And you need to kill yourself and stop promoting your shit blog with worthless opinions.

contrarian
kənˈtrɛːrɪən/
noun
noun: contrarian; plural noun: contrarians
  1. 1.
    a person who opposes or rejects popular opinion, especially in CRPG dealings.
    "it has become fashionable to be a CRPG contrarian"
adjective
adjective: contrarian
  1. 1.
    opposing or rejecting popular opinion or current practice.
    "the comment came more from a contrarian disposition than moral conviction"
God forbid someone has a mind of his own.

Falksi

Arcane
IMO FO:3 captured a great vibe too. It was my first FO game and I'll be honest I absolutely loved the first playthrough, simply because it's atmosphere really drew me in. It also did exploration extremely well, in that it was linear enough to not be boring or messy, but open enough to feel endless. You never quite knew where you where gonna end up, each tunnel & subway could take you on a whole new adventure, whereas later Bethesda games such as Skyrim all had dungeons which took you 1 place - back to the start.

Still never played FO:1, looking forward to doing so.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
And you need to kill yourself and stop promoting your shit blog with worthless opinions.

If you get dumbfucked by VentilatorOfDoom or someone else, I will never again link to my blog on the Codex, and will prominently link to the Codex on my blog as the greatest general online RPG community.

thesoup

Arcane

If you get dumbfucked by VentilatorOfDoom or someone else, I will never again link to my blog on the Codex, and will prominently link to the Codex on my blog as the greatest general online RPG community.
Kill yourself in addition to this and you might strike a deal.

Who is this "everybody"?

Everybody as in almost every RPG after Fallout is affected by it. All the open-world RPGs. All the RPGs with social elements. Switching Choice & Consequnce from good/evil dichotomy to web of decisions. Games like Morrowind or Knights of the Old Republic are almost more like Fallout than previous games of the series. Plus we have a disproportional number of postapocalyptic games.

I would agree there are better games to play today. New Vegas might be better in *most* ways than Fallout 1 but it brings unique problems Fallout 1 never had and those problems might be more noticeable than its advantages. Of course it features better UI and graphics, but it also has bigger problem. You expect more from a world that you can observe in detail from first person. That's why people might prefer Tetris to any and all games - it's perfect, it has no flaws.

I think Divinity Original Sin 2 would be a stronger case, but maybe it's too fresh to judge. And even then Fallout 1 has an advantage of being the first of its kind, genre-defining RPG.
These are all valid points and we seem to mostly agree. I'm not taking away its legacy or historical importance. The point here however is that a lot of people claim fallout 1 is this sacred holy game that does everything well and no game ever is as good or better. Just even throwing out an opinion is enough for self professed experts and truth arbiters like lilura to demand tags and link to her blog where she just repeats the codex mantra. I think it's just a case of babby's first RPG and idiots attaching their person to a brand.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron

If this is a piece of your own mind then yes, God forbid.

The point here however is that a lot of people claim fallout 1 is this sacred holy game that does everything well and no game ever is as good or better.

See the above quote, pot calling the kettle black.

thesoup

Arcane
Kill yourself in addition to this and you might strike a deal.

As a shitposter with no taste, you have no say in the parameters of the deal. :smug:
Pray I don't alter the deal any further.

If this is a piece of your own mind then yes, God forbid.

The point here however is that a lot of people claim fallout 1 is this sacred holy game that does everything well and no game ever is as good or better.

See the above quote, pot calling the kettle black.
Maybe you should ask for a safe space. Consider RPG watch.

Those are imaginary people.

I hope.
They aren't imaginary, but it might be a stretch to call them people as well.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Pray I don't alter the deal any further.

You couldn't make an alteration on your skirts.

I'm not taking away its legacy or historical importance.

You can't anyway; impotent and unread as you are. But it seems you lack a memory that extends beyond one post: you were clearly trying to devalue its greatness and legacy. Now, you backpedal. Amusing. :smug:

thesoup

Arcane
I'm afraid you lack the necessary reading comprehension to hold a basic conversation, which is a common trait among bloggers. You have no wit so stop trying to come up with "sick burns".

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm afraid you lack the necessary reading comprehension to hold a basic conversation, which is a common trait among bloggers. You have no wit so stop trying to come up with "sick burns".

Dude, everyone in this thread thinks you’re being a moron (except the guy with the village idiot tag); Lilura merely did you the courtesy of addressing your “ideas” rather than ignoring them.

But, pray tell, what would you consider superior to Fallout? I can’t wait to hear this.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Of course it features better UI and graphics

No.
I second that; FNV has many things done better and bigger than FO1 but being made on BETH engine is even bigger NO; its interface is console trash and graphics are dated in the moment of release 3D put onto piss filter with only stuf taken from old fallouts being fine from art direction point of view. Give dumbfuck tag to this consoltard philistine. If only they did released Van Burren. :decline:

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
FNV art is fine, especially in expansions.

There's no point in talking about how dated graphics were on release. FNV had dated graphics in 2010, Fallout 1 had dated graphics in 1999. FNV looked better in 2010, looks better in 2018 and will look better in 2077.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom