Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

a cut of domestic sheep prime

BaW "good" ending is essentially a crime without punishment. All attempts to punish Syanna result in a major clusterfuck. Very original IMO.
There were so many ways to completely screw things up in TW3 endings and quests. It was one of the best things about it. And it's interesting how people had different opinions on which endings were best. It's a true testement to how invested they were able to get people in the story and its characters.

I personally don't think KDC comes anywhere near that. Though it gets as far as it does through personalization. For example, I really cared about what happened to Theresa because I CHOSE to save her from the rapists. I wanted to see Henry's parents buried after digging their graves myself. I kept Bianca's ring even though I could have sold it for money because during the intro I had said that I was with Bianca when I was making excuses, so she was a choice of mine as well.

None of the characters were especially likable or well-written, but the way I was introduced to them personalized them to me and thus increased their perceived value to me.

Noble bro or priest bro weren't anywhere near the equals of the Bloody Baron or any other Twitcher character either, but they took me on a journey of emotions in discovering who they really were and having an entertaining time while doing it. Again, they mattered to me because of my experience with them and not who they are.

It reminds me of the IKEA Effect, a perceived increase in value when a person puts something together themselves (though it never worked for me with crappy IKEA furniture, mainly because it falls apart so easily). Only rather than them being likable because I made them, they are likable because they are part of the choices I made and the journey I took.

Another game that did this - albeit accidentally - was POE. I really liked the two intro characters who died pointlessly. The girl helped me discover my character by asking questions about me and both her and the guy fought along side me in a dangerous situation. These two characters ended up meaning more to me than any of the characters Obsidian tried to get me to like through their own writing efforts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Basically KCD has sharp writing and great humor but it doesn't pack the emotional punch on the level of The Witcher 3.

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron
Youtuber? What are you talking about, I have 4 videos and all of them are about this games issues, jesus christ you people don't even want to see what I'm talking about, you just deny and give a shit rating, ridiculous
You know, I was gonna make fun of you, but then I went and watched your videos and realized you're right. Honestly I'm a bit disgusted with myself for not seeing it sooner and giving those hacks my money.

But yeah, don't fret over retarded fanboys on codex. Keep fighting the good fight. I know I'll be looking forward to your analysis of other games in the future.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Why are bulgarians so fucking retarded? I understand that you were heavily breeded mutts between Turks and heavenly know what other creatures, but there shouldn't be an excuse to act like that in this day and age. Is that distant gene of fucking goats trying to get out and you can't contain it?

A gypsy making fun of bulgarians :retarded:
Gypsies_cover.jpg

You do know that the Bulgarians have around 600k turks descendants( probably around a mil) and around 400k gypsies of their own, that comes from a small country of 7 milions, which makes them complete mutts in my eyes. All Eastern European countries have their own population of gypsies, half a mil in Romania included from a population of 20 mils, which is still a big problem.
Then what are you doing in our northern neighbour? It is clear that we are more tolerable toward your kind. Also most of those are not kebab but (muslim Bulgarians). You mate bring shame to the Balkan brotherhood. It makes me really sad when i see a Balkan sjw.

I just called you a goat fucker, how does that make me a Balkan sjw? Dude you have a lot of turkish descendats in your country beside those pomaks, you need that understand that some of them are even direct descendants from the Cuman tribes that are represented in these games as barbaric goat fuckers, isn't that beautiful ?:lol:
Yup we have a lot of a lots in our country....just like your country. We maybe a goat fuckers but at least we fuck and we are not some slavers.....you know like the kebabs.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...estigating-state-within-a-state-where-slaves/
Romanian police investigate 'state within a state' where slaves were kept by criminal families

103362945_Berevoesti_in_Romania_FOREIGN_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqeo_i_u9APj8RuoebjoAHt0k9u7HhRJvuo-ZLenGRumA.png

Street view of Berevoesti, Romania
15 July 2016 • 2:35pm
Romanian police are investigating a town that became a “state within a state” where dozens of slaves, including 19 children, were chained up, beaten, forced to eat off the ground and sleep in stables.

At least two people are also thought to have died under the brutal system set up in 2008 by a number of crime families in the town of Berevoesti, about 100 miles north of Bucharest.

The case came to light after dozens of police officers raided a farm and other buildings around the town on Wednesday, arresting 38 suspects and freeing some 40 victims, five of whom were found chained to fences.

The authorities believe the victims, which also included people with physical and mental disabilities, were held against their will in order to pay off debts, or had been kidnapped to be used as a source of labour. They are believed to have been forced to work cutting trees, working on farms or begging.

Victims were held against their will in order to pay off debts, or had even been kidnapped to be used as a source of labour
Investigators told the Romanian press that the area had “become a state within a state where any ‘foreigners’ were questioned and then driven off”.

The local police and the mayor, who denies any wrongdoing, have also come under suspicion into how a savage criminal operation that locals described as an “open secret” was left undisturbed for almost a decade.

The treatment meted out to the victims has made shocking reading for Romanians.

The area had become a state within a state where any ‘foreigners’ were questioned and then driven off
“There were visible lacerations all over the body, and multiple wounds, some of them open and bleeding,” said Adrian Macovei, from the regional child protection agency, about the state of some of the children. “They are also physically and mentally traumatised.”

One adult victim was apparently chained, not allowed to wash, forced to sleep in a stable and forbidden to communicate with anyone. Others were stripped naked and hot and cold water poured over them.

“To make them work victims were beaten and whipped, and they were constantly monitored by the family,” a source close to the investigation told the Romanian press. “One woman was forbidden to leave the house unaccompanied, chained overnight and subjected to humiliating treatment such as having her eyebrows shaved, being forced to dance and sit naked for the amusement of the criminals.”

Those arrested faces numerous charges, including human trafficking and holding people against their will, and up to 20 years in prison if found guilty.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Basically KCD has sharp writing and great humor but it doesn't pack the emotional punch on the level of The Witcher 3.

The combat is much, much better though, and its reactivity is way way above Witcher 3's reactivity, it's pretty much a lesson in reactivity to all game developers. Witcher 3 looks nicer and had more polish but KCD is absolutely the better game, although you can see where the corners were cut pretty starkly.

I'm so spoilt because the last three games I've played were Avernum, Trails games and this, it's RPG ecstasy.

KateMicucci

Arcane
i bet it was covered in past pages: what is the 'proper' armor set?
Im interested in as light as possible with not terrible noise generation. Right now im close to 0 noise with some dark padded thingies and feel like its time Ive stopped being glass cannon
There is a perk (probably broken) that reduces your noise to 0 if you repaired your armor yourself.

There is indeed a problem with armor and weapon progression. I'm using the really good wimpy knight sword which you can get with no effort and it's as good or better than anything I could buy. Lamellar is available pretty early from cumans and it's almost as good as a $1,000 breastplate except much cheaper to repair. I've been wearing the bell-shaped kettle hat for most of the game, it has really good stats and even most of the closed helms I've found can't compete.

Chrio

Novice
The game is medieval arma 2 with more bugs and a story. Gamestar labelled it as the czech gothic, the game isnt for everyone and nowhere near perfect. What I would recommend is to wait at least a year before playing it, until then bugs will be fixed, most mechanics will be some kind of balanced and perhaps there will be some kind of a dlc to finish the story somekind of.

KateMicucci

Arcane

The combat is much, much better though, and its reactivity is way way above Witcher 3's reactivity, it's pretty much a lesson in reactivity to all game developers. Witcher 3 looks nicer and had more polish but KCD is absolutely the better game, although you can see where the corners were cut pretty starkly.

I'm so spoilt because the last three games I've played were Avernum, Trails games and this, it's RPG ecstasy.
I don't think it is better than The Witcher 3. TW3 combat wasn't so great but it had a lot more options with potions and spells. and it didn't lock you to one enemy at a time. KCD's combat as implemented right now creates the illusion of a deep system, but there isn't really one there. I wish it was closer to the M&B formula but with the six attack directions instead of four and maybe slightly easier blocking.

Nael

Arcane
If I could add anything to this game I would make plate armor prevent regular rest and make it only equippable in friendly towns in order to reflect the fact that no-one rode around Willy Nilly playing medieval Colombo dressed up like a Space Marine.

Rev

Arcane
Just did the main quest mission with the priest in Uzhitz. :lol:
It was really glourios. One of the funniest missions I've done in recent rpgs, together with the one where Geralt gets drunk with Eskel and Lambert in TW3.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I don't think it is better than The Witcher 3. TW3 combat wasn't so great but it had a lot more options with potions and spells. and it didn't lock you to one enemy at a time. KCD's combat as implemented right now creates the illusion of a deep system, but there isn't really one there. I wish it was closer to the M&B formula but with the six attack directions instead of four and maybe slightly easier blocking.

You don't need to have depth to have good combat. Depth has to have a point, grasping complexity is a form of entertainment, but you can easily implement a simple system that's done extremely well and is outstandingly entertaining. Having a plethora of options doesn't make all of those options fun, and the options in Kingdom come are generally far more enjoyable than Witcher 3's fundamentals.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I beat it today, the ending is going to be... controversial.

Mainly because it's fucking shit.

Did you do all the camp requests? The last siege. Like getting a priest, medic, food and so on? Really wondering if that time-waster had any affect what so ever on the battle outcome.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
I took a look at how the weapon/armor damage system works and it's a disaster tbh. No wonder it becomes completely lopsided in favor of the player later on. IMO Vavra seems to have done a good job but the gameplay and a.i. designers failed pretty hard.
Most enemies have fuck-all armor + their gear is usually damaged. Better armored foes seem ok at first, but you will quickly do like 3-4 times as much damage with a sword slash (any weapon, really) as the absolute best armor combination can handle due to high values on items + stat increases... Either one or two shotting anything even on slashes against the breastplate.

Increasing the armor effectiveness by 400% helps quite a bit, but I really need to get into the nitty gritty and change different types of armors' effectiveness. Slashing with a sword should do nothing to plate/brigandine or lamellar armored areas, no matter the stats involved. Thrusting also, really. Should only work against weak areas like the armpit or the upper body parts that are only covered by the aventail etc.
Half-swording should be a toggle button, not just some shitty end to some combo with a fucking saber/short sword no less.
Combat system needs to be changed so that fine-targeting is feasible at least on pc, no more lockon bullshit. Automatic combos/ripostes and such need to go.
People need to be able to move much more explosively etc. A.I. needs to be able to rush you down and react faster to stuff like bows being aimed at them.
Brigandine should not be as good/better than a good breastplate lol.
Plate armor should have to be custom-made for you (finally a reason to spend that money), munitions-grade stuff like brigandines could be universally usable. Maybe make it possible to have them altered to your size and get some debuffs otherwise to movement.

Don't know if it's possible to do all that, esp. changing the combat system, how char controls and you and enemies move etc. Armor values and such are pretty easy to change, fortunately.

Sinatar

Arbiter

Did you do all the camp requests? The last siege. Like getting a priest, medic, food and so on? Really wondering if that time-waster had any affect what so ever on the battle outcome.

I did some of them then said fuck this when they wanted me to go pick like 120 mint for the fucking potions. The combat is so easy in this game (especially in the big battles where enemy AI and health are at all time lows) that I can't imagine it matters one way or the other.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Sinatar
How much is there left in the game after the monastery bandit mission? If there is only 10-20h left I'll just force myself through to be able to claim to have finished it.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I did some of them then said fuck this when they wanted me to go pick like 120 mint for the fucking potions. The combat is so easy in this game (especially in the big battles where enemy AI and health are at all time lows) that I can't imagine it matters one way or the other.

Yeah, thinking maybe it changed some stuff like a cutscene or a character death... probably not though. If that is the case it has to be the most pointless quests in the whole game.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist

Yeah, thinking maybe it changed some stuff like a cutscene or a character death... probably not though. If that is the case it has to be the most pointless quests in the whole game.
Really feels like they needed another year or so tbh. The quality later on dips quite a bit compared to the earlier, post-prologue stuff.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I took a look at how the weapon/armor damage system works and it's a disaster tbh. No wonder it becomes completely lopsided in favor of the player later on. IMO Vavra seems to have done a good job but the gameplay and a.i. designers failed pretty hard.
Most enemies have fuck-all armor + their gear is usually damaged. Better armored foes seem ok at first, but you will quickly do like 3-4 times as much damage with a sword slash (any weapon, really) as the absolute best armor combination can handle due to high values on items + stat increases... Either one or two shotting anything even on slashes against the breastplate.

Increasing the armor effectiveness by 400% helps quite a bit, but I really need to get into the nitty gritty and change different types of armors' effectiveness. Slashing with a sword should do nothing to plate/brigandine or lamellar armored areas, no matter the stats involved. Thrusting also, really. Should only work against weak areas like the armpit or the upper body parts that are only covered by the aventail etc.
Half-swording should be a toggle button, not just some shitty end to some combo with a fucking saber/short sword no less.
Combat system needs to be changed so that fine-targeting is feasible at least on pc, no more lockon bullshit. Automatic combos/ripostes and such need to go.
People need to be able to move much more explosively etc. A.I. needs to be able to rush you down and react faster to stuff like bows being aimed at them.
Plate armor should have to be custom-made for you (finally a reason to spend that money), munitions-grade stuff like brigandines could be universally usable. Maybe make it possible to have them altered to your size and get some debuffs otherwise to movement.

Don't know if it's possible to do all that, esp. changing the combat system, how char controls and you and enemies move etc. Armor values and such are pretty easy to change, fortunately.

Sounds like you are volunteering. Tweaking this system to end master strikes and level the playing field would be good.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I will write up a longer post about this later in the day, but I had some ideas when I was going to bed on how to fix the combat system, it involves armor rebalancing, removing master strikes, and removing the fucking retarded WOOOOPFHHHH sound effect slow mo.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist

Sounds like you are volunteering. Tweaking this system to end master strikes and level the playing field would be good.

Looking into it, the thing is that the enemy basically needs master strokes in order to not be complete pushovers. It's pretty much the only thing they can really do (other than when you're super weak still) to counter the player. Helps hide the a.i. issues somewhat. I suspect that that is why they are so prevalent in the game.
So just removing these things, even if you also remove them for the player, will make things even more lop-sided.
We have to adjust the a.i. as well to balance things out.

Unfortunately, I'm a complete noob when it comes to a.i. programming... The item stuff and such I can (probably) do (though there are some unexpected challenges), and others are already on it as well, but the actual a.i. behavior is more tricky.
Also, there may be performance issues tied into a.i. calculations (esp. with many actors active at once). Add to that that the game area where you mostly fight is quite open (forests, fields w. roads), so you can't make the a.i. have an easy time navigating like you could in, say, F.E.A.R.'s office spaces.

I'm working on what I can, though, just to see if I can make the game more consistently enjoyable for myself. If things turn out well I'll upload to the nexus, but we'll see. Doing this well is going to be a bigger project than just adjusting some values, unfortunately.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom