Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Din's Legacy - Soldak's new RPG with generational mechanic

speeler

Soldak Entertainment
Developer
But don't you think that once people haven given a certain value, they should be getting the game(s) anyway, independent of other rewards?
As it is right now, I could only see that working for the most hardcore of fans - which isn't wrong per se (as you said, it is meant as a supplement, not your only source of income), but why not expand that somewhat?
I'd imagine getting a game after some time of pledging would bring more people in.

You could be correct. I might very well expand what we offer on Patreon.

I know what your games are about, I bought them all and I'll continue to buy new releases and support Soldak in the traditional way since I enjoy your games a lot.

p.s please consider making another game like Drox Operative. I don't necessarily mean a literal Drox Operative 2, but something that's different than the usual fantasy game. DO was really good.

First off, thank you! One of the reasons I made Drox Operative was because I'm a pretty big sci-fi fan (along with fantasy). I am starting to get that sci-fi itch again, so it's definitely a possibility that the game after the one we are working on could be Drox related.

He should go back to depths of peril competitive dungeon delving, or dins curse town depth and interesting random events. Expand those concepts and maybe combine them.

Our last game, Zombasite, has a lot of elements from Depths of Peril (clans) and Din's Curse (dynamic world). Our next game will be more like Din's Curse again with a tighter focus.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
But don't you think that once people haven given a certain value, they should be getting the game(s) anyway, independent of other rewards?
As it is right now, I could only see that working for the most hardcore of fans - which isn't wrong per se (as you said, it is meant as a supplement, not your only source of income), but why not expand that somewhat?
I'd imagine getting a game after some time of pledging would bring more people in.

You could be correct. I might very well expand what we offer on Patreon.

I know what your games are about, I bought them all and I'll continue to buy new releases and support Soldak in the traditional way since I enjoy your games a lot.

p.s please consider making another game like Drox Operative. I don't necessarily mean a literal Drox Operative 2, but something that's different than the usual fantasy game. DO was really good.

First off, thank you! One of the reasons I made Drox Operative was because I'm a pretty big sci-fi fan (along with fantasy). I am starting to get that sci-fi itch again, so it's definitely a possibility that the game after the one we are working on could be Drox related.

He should go back to depths of peril competitive dungeon delving, or dins curse town depth and interesting random events. Expand those concepts and maybe combine them.

Our last game, Zombasite, has a lot of elements from Depths of Peril (clans) and Din's Curse (dynamic world). Our next game will be more like Din's Curse again with a tighter focus.
JarlFrank VentilatorOfDoom dev tag for speeler of Soldak Entertainment

Lhynn

Arcane
I played zombasite but it never quite clicked for me, not like depths of peril or dins curse did. Maybe it was the lack of focus without a real defined objective, just a nebulous one. Or maybe it was because the game never gave you a room to breathe.
Also was kind of disapointed because i was expecting a more modern setting after hearing the name.

speeler

Soldak Entertainment
Developer
I played zombasite but it never quite clicked for me, not like depths of peril or dins curse did. Maybe it was the lack of focus without a real defined objective, just a nebulous one. Or maybe it was because the game never gave you a room to breathe.

I think you will like our next game then. Each scenario has an objective and you don't have a clan to look after.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
The game gets less "hardcore": http://www.soldak.com/Blogs/Steven/Big-changes-in-next-game.html

Big changes in next game

I mentioned this a little the other day with a tweet, but I thought it was important enough to get its own post.

During playtesting, I have found that the mutation between characters is really cool, but happening after death was really inconvenient. Adding something inconvenient right when someone might be frustrated isn't a good plan. :) It also gets in the way of pacing. It introduced a thoughtful, planning process right in the middle of a lot of action. So I've changed how this works.

Now you can mutate between characters whenever you want (limited by mutation points). With this change, the player has much more control over the process, it simplifies a bunch of things especially multiplayer, it will scare off less players because semi-permadeath sounds scary, it works better with pacing, and it even makes it easier to explain the game.

The mutation between characters and permadeath have always been tied together. Changing the mutation to whenever the player wants does make permadeath unnecessary, so that is going away also. I think these changes will make the game much better, but it is a little strange that my working name for the game is hardcore and that's the part I'm removing. :) This is one of the nice things about being an indie. I can explore a design and change anything I need to to make it the best game possible.

BTW, for those that do like hardcore, there is still a hardcore option similar to our previous games.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://www.soldak.com/Blogs/Steven/Mutations.html

Mutations

In our next game, you play as one of the Mutated. They are closely related to the elves and a little to the dark orcs, but one of the main traits is that they mutate slowly over time. There are 3 main ways that this happens: randomly, mutation levels, and mutating with another character.

In rare cases, they can just mutate randomly. This is usually a direct consequence of things happening in the game. For example, if you are killed by a Scree, you might gain a fear of demons. If you kill a bunch of Orcs, you might gain an Orc killing bonus.

The player has a mutation level that goes up as they gain experience. This works similar to normal experience, except it has a high randomness component to it. When the player goes up a mutation level, they mutate in some way. This can give them a free skill level in any skill they have access to, give them a completely new random skill, add a new mutation, or mutate one of their skills.

A new mutation could be something good like Acid Blood where melee enemies take damage when they hit you. It could be something bad like Hemophilia where you receive deep wounds more often than normal. It could even be something in-between like Horns which increases your physical damage, but doesn't allow you to wear helmets.

Skill mutations affect a specific skill. There is a huge variety of ways that skills can mutate. Let's look at the fireball skill as an example (other skills work in a similar manner). Some possible mutations: splitting (extra projectiles), efficient (less mana used), quick (faster casting), blasting (larger blast radius), forking (splits into 2 when it hits an enemy), icy (adds cold damage), of lightning swarms (chance of adding balls of lightning when a fireball kills something), or armor melt (chance of adding an armor melt debuff on each enemy hit by a fireball), and many, many more.

For all of these mutations, you can go with the flow and accept them or you can fight against them. Essentially you can can spend skill points to remove the unwanted mutations. This is only a short term cost though, since you will regain these skill points when you go through a full mutation. Every time you gain a mutation level, you also get a mutation point.

For every mutation point, you can go through a full mutation with another character or a class specialty. During a full mutation, any skill that is not currently being used in some manner has a 45% chance of staying as it is, a 45% chance of being replaced by a random skill from the target character or specialty, and a 10% chance of being replaced by any random skill from ANY specialty. You will also regain any skill points used to remove unwanted mutations and your mutation level will readjust to how many mutations you still have.

Overall, while your character mutates randomly, you have a lot of control over the process.

Thoughts? Questions?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
From the Codex inbox:

Dallas, Texas, April 18, 2018 - Soldak Entertainment today announced Din's Legacy.

Din's Legacy is an action RPG with mutating characters, set in a dynamic, evolving, fantasy world for Windows, Mac, and Linux.

During the Orc Schism, the entire Orc race was violently split into Dark Orcs, Zombielords, and the Mutated. The Mutated are tainted with Orc blood, a zombie parasite, and necromancer magic. This makes people seriously mistrust and even fear them. The fact that they slowly mutate over time makes it even worse. Who is going to trust you when you grow horns overnight?

Despite all of this, the Mutated are actually more closely related to the Elves, both their behavior and physically. They want to prove this to the world, but they are facing a tremendous uphill battle.

The trickster god Din was intrigued by their chaotic mutations and burning desire to prove themselves to the world. Always in need of champions, he made a pact with the Mutated. Each volunteer would become one of his champions trying to save the world wherever Din sends them. In return, each time they die in his service he resurrects them to continue their service.

Din's Legacy, as well as the Mutated's and yours, are all in your hands! Can you be the Champion that is needed?

Din's Legacy is scheduled to be released in the 4th quarter of 2018, however it will be released when it's done. We are planning on some kind of Early Access in the near future though if you want to get in early! For more information about Din's Legacy head over to http://www.soldak.com/Dins-Legacy/Overview.html

About Soldak Entertainment, Inc.

Soldak Entertainment, Inc. is a small independent developer, focused on creating unique gameplay. Soldak was founded by Steven Peeler, a former Technical Director of Ritual Entertainment. Din's Legacy is the sixth Soldak game, joining Depths of Peril, Kivi's Underworld, Din's Curse, Drox Operative, and Zombasite.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://www.soldak.com/Dins-Legacy/Screenshots.html

Pre-alpha screenshots

I finally took some screenshots! These were taken before alpha testing.

In this shot, the player is about to be hit in the back by a Shadow Bolt from a Dark Orc Warlock. Pic details - 1440x900, 338KB.

In this shot, the player is on a hill inside of a cave, surrounded by dark elves. Pic details - 1440x900, 362KB.

In this shot, the player has just been ambushed by skeletons where the jungle ends and a desert begins. Pic details - 1440x900, 443KB.

Forbidden Track of Lost Souls, enough said. Pic details - 1440x900, 359KB.

Apparently this wasn't the idyllic campground I was looking for. Pic details - 1440x900, 370KB.

A battleground in the middle of a fire, really isn't the greatest of ideas. Pic details - 1440x900, 322KB.

Graveyards are creepy expecially when they are named Rottenbeyond Tombs of Rage. Pic details - 1440x900, 297KB.

laclongquan

Arcane
The fucking problem I have with Soldak games in general is the lack of character. you know, humanization. A connection with player.

Ie no character face or figure. If you type "soldak whatever game character" onto google you will find nothing specific. It's hell to marketing~ Or name recognition.

Sure, I also like some sexy female figure. As it is, nothing of that sort whatsoever.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Steam page, coming to Early Access:

Din's Legacy is an action RPG with mutating characters, set in a dynamic, evolving, fantasy world for Windows, Mac, and Linux.

During the Orc Schism, the entire Orc race was violently split into Dark Orcs, Zombielords, and the Mutated. The Mutated are tainted with Orc blood, a zombie parasite, and necromancer magic. This makes people seriously mistrust and even fear them. The fact that they slowly mutate over time makes it even worse. Who is going to trust you when you grow horns overnight?

Despite all of this, the Mutated are actually more closely related to the Elves, both their behavior and physically. They want to prove this to the world, but they are facing a tremendous uphill battle.

The trickster god Din was intrigued by their chaotic mutations and burning desire to prove themselves to the world. Always in need of champions, he made a pact with the Mutated. Each volunteer would become one of his champions trying to save the world wherever Din sends them. In return, each time they die in his service he resurrects them to continue their service.

Din's Legacy, as well as the Mutated's and yours, are all in your hands! Can you be the Champion that is needed?

Features:
  • Experience your character mutating over time for good and bad
  • Guide your character's evolution (choosing/improving skills, suppressing unwanted mutations, etc)
  • Use mutation points to mutate your character towards another character or sub-class
  • Uniquely created worlds for every game, with different scenario, win/lose conditions, areas, monsters, items, and quests, give the player a new experience every time
  • Explore a dynamic, evolving, living world
  • Your choices truly impact the game
  • Co-op multiplayer to adventure with friends

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Out on Early Access now.

For Immediate Release

McKinney, Texas, September 17, 2018 - Din's Legacy is now in Early Access on Steam! (Windows, Mac, and Linux)

Steam Early Access at https://store.steampowered.com/app/911550/Dins_Legacy/

Gamers who buy Din's Legacy Early Access will receive full access to the latest alpha build, a reduced price of only $14.99 (10% off first week), the opportunity to give Soldak feedback which can influence the game, and of course, the final version when it becomes available.

For more information about Din's Legacy head over to http://www.soldak.com/Dins-Legacy/Overview.html

Features:

* Experience your character mutating over time for good and bad
* Guide your character's evolution (choosing/improving skills, suppressing unwanted mutations, etc)
* Use mutation points to mutate your character towards another character or sub-class
* Uniquely created worlds for every game, with different scenario, win/lose conditions, areas, monsters, items, and quests, give the player a new experience every time
* Explore a dynamic, evolving, living world
* Your choices truly impact the game
* Co-op multiplayer to adventure with friends

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:necro:

Full release in late August: https://www.gamasutra.com/view/pressreleases/347419/Dins_Legacy_is_now_in_Beta.php

Din's Legacy is now in Beta!

McKinney, Texas, July 25, 2019 - Din's Legacy is now in Beta!

Din's Legacy is nearing the end of Early Access after 43 patches of improvements and new content. It is now in beta and should be fully released in late August!

In the meantime, you can still pick it up and have some input in Early Access at https://store.steampowered.com/app/911550/Dins_Legacy/

For more information about Din's Legacy head over to http://www.soldak.com/Dins-Legacy/Overview.html

Features:
  • Experience your character mutating over time for good and bad
  • Guide your character's evolution (choosing/improving skills, suppressing unwanted mutations, etc)
  • Use mutation points to mutate your character towards another character or sub-class
  • Uniquely created worlds for every game, with different scenario, win/lose conditions, areas, monsters, items, and quests, give the player a new experience every time
  • Explore a dynamic, evolving, living world
  • Your choices truly impact the game
  • Co-op multiplayer to adventure with friends
About Soldak Entertainment, Inc.

Soldak Entertainment, Inc. is a small independent developer, focused on creating unique gameplay. Soldak was founded by Steven Peeler, a former Technical Director of Ritual Entertainment. Din's Legacy is the sixth Soldak game, joining Depths of Peril, Kivi's Underworld, Din's Curse, Drox Operative, and Zombasite.

Martyr

Arcane
wow, the visual quality of Soldak's games gets better with each game. another indie dev puts Vogel to shame!
the game's looking great, hope it does make its way on gog, like his earlier games.
and if not, doesn't matter because there's a DRM free version on his website: http://www.soldak.com/Dins-Legacy/Buy.html

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
My latest world gen:

Had the 'Defeat nemesis' victory condition. Some goblin wizard named 'Butchy-Wagon' or something like that

Butchy-Wagon was in high level territory. Took me a decent time to get to the location and find him. All the while he was sending me taunts, doing evil deeds, and harassing the town. To complete a nemesis victory you need to not just kill him, but solve any problems (quests) he causes. If RNG is on your side, he can be nearby in your game. If you kill him before he does anything its instant win...

In this case, however, buy the time I found him he had already causes 6 problems that needed to be solved. I was having a bad time, so I took a townsfolk with me. Some lady mage named Louis. She was very useful and I adventured with her for an hour- gaining a few levels and finding some better gear. When I thought I was better prepared, we went to attack Butchy-Wagon at his lair.

It didn't go well... Louis.... She didn't make it.

As I was running to the exit in a hasty retreat, she resurrected as a necromancer and blew my ass away... Along with my heart.
:negative:

When I respawned in town, I went through my inventory and found out the town vendor had run out of healing pots to sell. I was also dry. As I was deciding what to do next, I got an event message saying the Louis the Necromancer got promoted to lieutenant for killing me and has gained new power.
:negative::negative:

Now my Nemesis and Louis are camping out at the lair entrance. Cant even get inside with out being immediately destroyed.
As I wandered around a newb zone killing level 1 orcs, heartbroken, I get another event message saying that Louis has allied with Butchy-Wagon. Their evil deeds ballooned to 11 additional events that need to be completed for victory. The town has been raided and set on fire. Shopkeepers are dead.
:negative::negative::negative:

I then abandon the world and make new one. It pisses off Din and he gives you an Xp debt you have to pay off, but oh well.
I get another Kill Nemesis victory condition. I walk outside and get a message the Nemesis has been killed offscreen by another clan and I immediately win.
:positive:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom