Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

chronicon, the true diablo 2 successor

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
With all the diablo clones going 3d, I never expected a game going backwards to SNES graphics to be the most satisfying one of them all. But it is. I'm shocked to look at my steam time played and see that I put over 30 hours into it over the weekend. I can't remember the last time I was absorbed like this into a game. It's almost like I'm in high school again. And the game is still early access to boot.

aboNH9y.png

WyfYnWC.png

what makes this game great is the skill system. each character has 4-5 trees, with the skills themselves like a vastly superior version of titan quest/grim dawn:

+There's no mastery bar skill point sink. There are masteries, but they are on a different xp track and unrelated to skill progression. Instead, putting lots of points in a tree boosts its main tree skill, which in turn provides minor stat bonuses.
+the skills themselves are a lot more fun to use. Most are synergies, but for each skill (the + in the above screenshot) you can pick out of 2-3 active skills to boost. so even if you don't like a particular skill odds are you'll find something that suits you
+there are cross-tab synergies that let you build up into 3-4 chain reactions of different shit. pretty fun to experiment with.

only difference is that there are a hard set 4 classes, each with their own tabs and there's no combining them. But that's ok, each class is easily the equivalent of grim dawn's entire masteries system considering how much better thought out they are.

the itemization is similar to diablo 2, except each class has their own unique weapons and there isn't much variety. Templar can go sword/shield or sword/tome depending on whether you want more offense or defense. warden only has bow/arrows. berserker has 2 kinds of claws/gauntlets (I think). warlock has a staff/tome

That aside, the items themselves are heavily customizable. as long as you have enough resources you can eventually roll whatever you want on the side stats (unique items have pre-set stats and sometimes unique abilities, and the main stats are entirely based on the item's level and rarity), no cheaping out like diablo 3 does with only letting you enchant 1 stat. the sets also seem to be much better thought out. they usually boost synergy skills rather than active skills so instead of locking you into a handful of builds like diablo 3 does just about any build that uses those synergies can make use of them.

game has 4 acts right now, with a fifth that is supposed to be on its way.

All in all if you like big fat skill trees and committing large scale extermination of elves/orcs/undead/local fauna picking this up for 10 bucks is a no brainer. Although the game says you're reliving the experiences of heroes I felt more like Stalin or Hitler by the end of the game. and apparently this game is a one man project. like grimoire/stardew valley it's amazing how one person can make giant corporations look like complete bitches.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
yeah but that's a bonus for me since the game is balanced around single player. D2 loot drops were terrible because they expected you to play online and trade

Perkel

Arcane
No online is probably a deal breaker for some.

that is a plus you dummy.

No online no sperglords screaming for stupid changes to increase their clear speed meta because they farm items to sell them on market for money.

POE is like prime example of that.

Baron Dupek

Arcane

No online no sperglords screaming for stupid changes to increase their clear speed meta because they farm items to sell them on market for money.

As a PoE player - can confirm. Game balance and economy is dictated by streamers (who play the game all days with other no-lifes with good game knowledge so they gather insane buck in short time) which make the game more obnoxious for new folks and those who already spend part of their lives on that game.
Pity.
That's why "no online" is welcoming feature, not something that make you scratch a title from 2buy list.

deama

Prophet
Hmm, looks interesting, I'm a bit skeptical on the combat, but we'll see.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron

I don't know how to use buttons, so
:brodex:
As for the game, i admit that i am not a huge fan of diablo-likes(^this is just one of the reasons). However, what you just described here sounds attractive to me. Especially the part about "No mastery bar skill point sink".

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
there actually is a skill tab called masteries but it acts as an alternative to attributes and has its own separate xp track and mastery points. either way, your skill points go to the actual skills and not to attributes.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
there actually is a skill tab called masteries but it acts as an alternative to attributes and has its own separate xp track and mastery points. either way, your skill points go to the actual skills and not to attributes.
That's pretty much how i understood it.
Thanks for making me aware of this game, i will check it.
Edit: Maybe. I still have a considerable backlog of games i wanted to try that i haven't tried yet.

Last edited:

frajaq

Erudite
Eh don't like classes being tied to weapons, what I love about PoE is that you can do some crazy shit with the linked passive tree

Black_Willow

Arcane
Meh, it looks far less like Diablo 2 and more like Nuclear Throne with Grim Dawn's ability trees.
Still, I don't like the seemingly crazy pace of gameplay. I think I'll just stick with Grim Dawn (which is far better than PoE IMO).

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
the game would suffer from a slower pace. right now my warden's multishot fires so fast I can't even count the individual shots anymore. feels good, like strafezons did back in the day

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
We talking D2 1.06 or LoD? I spit the dummy and quit for a year when LoD changes were implemented, the reduction in strafe arrows made me frustrated with the casual handholding streamlining 'because muh strafelocked toon' babbies. Learn your toolkit and adapt, run around gather mobs valk decoy backtrack so theyre the first things then unload an ungodly stream of death. I played with a dodgy mouse that would occasionally drop out and I would have to keyboard command to device manager to refresh the bastard meanwhile I was running across the map, thankfully I had a bro help keep me alive during this hardware malfunction and we would continue to butcher hordes. Added to that were synergies, retarded runewords and absolute BiS setups I was thoroughly disgusted with the direction the game took. When you go more excited for a socketed exceptional drop than that potential rare upgrade, it felt a bit shit. I liked the random loot, carrying 2 extra bows for different boss affixes/resistances and having anything that was yellow be scrutinised for its affixes instead of 'not the leggo/socketed I wanted for my metabuild, dont care'

Wow, im still sore over those changes, I guess I really did enjoy D2, will look into it, cheers. :salute:

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
If it is the true successor to D2 like you say, you would have put 48 hours into it over the weekend.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
D2 loot drops were terrible because they expected you to play online and trade

Well, there are mods for D2. Lots of mods that make SP solid. There are also overhauls like MXL: Ultimative and Eastern Sun that eliminate much of the tedium and need for online trading. There are mods for the original Diablo, too. Why buy another game, even if it's cheap?

Lagi

Savant
If it is the true successor to D2 like you say, you would have put 48 hours into it over the weekend.
what other "diablo 1" can you recommend?
i have play D1 mod Belzebub, quite fun. Nice improvements [ warrior skills f.ex, more quests].

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
We talking D2 1.06 or LoD? I spit the dummy and quit for a year when LoD changes were implemented, the reduction in strafe arrows made me frustrated with the casual handholding streamlining 'because muh strafelocked toon' babbies. Learn your toolkit and adapt, run around gather mobs valk decoy backtrack so theyre the first things then unload an ungodly stream of death. I played with a dodgy mouse that would occasionally drop out and I would have to keyboard command to device manager to refresh the bastard meanwhile I was running across the map, thankfully I had a bro help keep me alive during this hardware malfunction and we would continue to butcher hordes. Added to that were synergies, retarded runewords and absolute BiS setups I was thoroughly disgusted with the direction the game took. When you go more excited for a socketed exceptional drop than that potential rare upgrade, it felt a bit shit. I liked the random loot, carrying 2 extra bows for different boss affixes/resistances and having anything that was yellow be scrutinised for its affixes instead of 'not the leggo/socketed I wanted for my metabuild, dont care'

Wow, im still sore over those changes, I guess I really did enjoy D2, will look into it, cheers. :salute:

i only got into d2 after lod. lod ended up patching over bad skill/itemization decisions with synergies and runes and didn't do it very well. chronicon also patched over d2's system, but did it in a much more competent manner imo. although it's easier when you redesign them from scratch i guess

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard

i've never given up sleep just to play a video game. i've stayed up way later than i should have but i would make up for it by sleeping in. not even for diablo 2 or morrowind. games aren't enjoyable if i'm playing them when i'm sleepy anyway

deama

Prophet
Alright, I played it for about 10 hours as a beserker and here's my impression:
It's not too shaby. It's a bit slow in the beginning, but that's easily fixable if you speedhack it.

I didn't like how the map design is fairly maze-y. I would have also liked to see more skills/stats to put points into. Perhaps they could also add in a "Trait" system before you pick your character? Like a trait that halfs your health but doubles your crit chance, or you can only deal fire damage etc...

I'd also prefer it if there were less item drops but they were of a higher quality.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Game finally coming out of early access on August 21. This is good news & I hope he adds more classes in the future.

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

Is it shit?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom