Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Brancaleone

Liturgist
Oh heh: https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...07509&pagenumber=401&perpage=40#post481383644

fWf4XFU.png

You bet your ass we did
RPG news and nazi grumblers are an indissoluble pair, after all.

Or was it racist grouches? Oh, never mind.

Trashos

Arcane

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I like how the person complaining about fascists shares a message board with some guy that has a black kid pointing a revolver as his avatar.

Perkel

Arcane
the damage bonus from stats are percent multipliers rather than additive this time around (I believe).

Now this would be true change if this would be the case.

This just isn't factual, go look IE games attributes point for point - PoE wins except marginally for exclusively STR melee damage. A bunch of posts about it.

No one said D&D2.5 system is better. In fact both are shit. Two shits don't make one good chocolate cake. If it is like other poster said it is way better than in POE1.

Still next huge issue in POE1 was that spells felt weak. None of them could change how battle is fought aside from confusion or charm and even those worked like few seconds at best.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
the damage bonus from stats are percent multipliers rather than additive this time around (I believe).
Could you give me an example of a "percentage multiplier" vs a percentage additive? :)

I don't think the spells felt that weak, but I definetly felt there was little true variety in their effects. Mostly they were not custom-made effects for the spell. Applying some affliction for an amount of time which the player can never truly remember, because it scales back and forth and involves needlessly grainy values like 1.1 s. Sometimes the effects of a spell could last less time than a slow character's recovery time and he couldn't take advantage of the affliction status - try hitting in time someone you've blinded with a grazing blindness-causing attack.

Although combat became bearable with patches and in TWM, the combat system in PoE will forever remain a clusterfuck and an underbaked experiment thrown at the audience to test and balance.

Last edited:

Ulfhednar

Savant
Could you give me an example of a "percentage multiplier" vs a percentage additive? :)
For two effects, one 30% and one 20% on damage, for example

Multipliers: DAMAGE = Roll * 1.3 * 1.2 = Roll * 1.56
Additives: DAMAGE = Roll * (1.0 + 0.3 + 0.2) = Roll * 1.5

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Still next huge issue in POE1 was that spells felt weak. None of them could change how battle is fought aside from confusion or charm and even those worked like few seconds at best.

Eh, again misinformation.

There were quite many game-changing spells. And even more were added with the expansions.

"Few seconds at best" must refer to grazes. Buff that accuracy and/or exploit weaker enemy defenses! (although I would like even more variation in the defensive stats)

Some examples of game-changing spells (note there are WAY more great spells, but these have particularly high impact on the flow of battle):
Relentless Storm, Gaze of the Adragan, Mind Plague, Amplified Wave, Ectopsyhic Echo, Pull of Eora, Mind Web, Reaping Knives (limitless Focus), Concelhaut's Crushing Doom, Ninagauth's Shadowflame.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2

the best in that game was magic missle

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Huh, so it's not always two classes or their multiclass (Aloth always part Wizard, Maia always part Ranger, Pallegina always part Paladin, Fessina always part Conjurer, Rekke always part Fighter)

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
They've missed a cool opportunity - making Aloth, Eder and Pallegina's class be a result of your choices in PoE1.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't understand. Aloth is always part wizard, same for the rest of them.

With some characters you have a choice - X, Y or X+Y. This is how I was led to believe it would work for all of them.

But with others, it's different - X, X+Y, or X+Z.

Parabalus

Arcane
They've missed a cool opportunity - making Aloth, Eder and Pallegina's class be a result of your choices in PoE1.

They will likely get talents/abilities tied to those choices, leave class unlocked just gives more options.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath

They will likely get talents/abilities tied to those choices, leave class unlocked just gives more options.
I don't think this reasoning works this time. PoE gave you choices and options, it's time for some consequences. You take the story companions for the story, there is literally no other reason due to the existence of hired adventurers, so you can safely experiment with the story companions.

In my "canon run" I didn't even speak to Eder and Aloth, should I make the argument the game doesn't give me options since they won't be in my game at all? No, I made the choice and now I'm in for the consequences.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
That would lead to meta gaming in poe1. Hmmm so I better break the deal with defiance bay, or pallegina won't become a fighter in the sequel, and damn they're way better than paladins and some other nonsense.
You're right though, it is time for consequences. Pallegina for instance, is ought to have some strictly different outcomes to her story.

Thing is, it's very obvious at this point that these choices won't have much but flavour as consequences in the sequel. They went for the lvl 1 pc for the very purpose of welcoming new players who have no clue what happens in the first game.
I don't see them asking the player if they went to see an animancer for aloth's problem through the pregame choice generator®, it wouldn't make even a little sense.
Sooo I'm afraid they went for the badur's gate formula here, at least for the most part. There's gonna be a canon version, which is that the PC met and journey'd with Eder, Aloth and Pallegina. Regading stuff like Pallegina's deal, we have yet to see how they handled it, but I wouldn't be surprised if they actually decided to either ignore it, stating that it doesn't concern deadfire anyway, or have some flavour at some point, yeah, the deal with twin elms fucked us up maaaan.

Efe

Erudite
I don't see them asking the player if they went to see an animancer for aloth's problem through the pregame choice generator®, it wouldn't make even a little sense.
what if they do it like tyranny's conquest with maybe slightly longer exposition and a lot of pop up descriptions

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom