Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

Tigranes

Arcane
Re. honeymoons:

It's always been a 7/10 game when you take everything into account. Surely nobody really hoped that this low budget debut RPG would be a beautiful historical Bohemia hiking simulator and an innovative RPG masterpiece all in one?

The point was to have a game whose approach to history, to the aesthetics of the open world, to the atmosphere, is unique & top notch, and then to deliver elsewhere a competent/decent experience with its heart in the right place. The game gets a ton of points for delivering on its primary aim.

The regret, which becomes clearer after about 10-20 hours in, is that there are numerous places where they dropped the ball. I don't really wish for more C&C; it's clear their strengths are in the linear showpieces and it would have taxed their resources incredibly to have FNV-level reactivity. Same goes for bugs and AI hijinks - this is what you get with open world, as we've seen in everything from Skyrim to TW3 to Elex. But surely they could have done a better job with the power progression, the availability & effectiveness of various armour/weapons, how enemy combatants handle distance / archery / horses, the utter boringness of fistfights (exactly the same as in TW3 actually), and so on.

(All they needed was to have most armour be unlootable & have the spiel that what you wear must be customised for you - then have blacksmiths forge armour on request instead of sell it. Would also help solve the fact that despite the superfrequent repairs, you have more money than you ever need (unless you buy a gazillion schnapps, I guess - I mean you only need like 20 for the entire game??). Then the rest is about jiggling with the numbers. The AI is harder to fix, but at the very least they could make the enemies chase you more consistently.)

Oh, btw, dragonul09 a fair number of points you raise are valid, and I'm sure most people think so - but nobody's going to bother having a discussion with you when you can't stop fapping to yourself & spamming for youtube clicks. I haven't watched any of your videos and I'm sure nobody cares.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Re. honeymoons:

It's always been a 7/10 game when you take everything into account. Surely nobody really hoped that this low budget debut RPG would be a beautiful historical Bohemia hiking simulator and an innovative RPG masterpiece all in one?

The point was to have a game whose approach to history, to the aesthetics of the open world, to the atmosphere, is unique & top notch, and then to deliver elsewhere a competent/decent experience with its heart in the right place. The game gets a ton of points for delivering on its primary aim.

The regret, which becomes clearer after about 10-20 hours in, is that there are numerous places where they dropped the ball. I don't really wish for more C&C; it's clear their strengths are in the linear showpieces and it would have taxed their resources incredibly to have FNV-level reactivity. Same goes for bugs and AI hijinks - this is what you get with open world, as we've seen in everything from Skyrim to TW3 to Elex. But surely they could have done a better job with the power progression, the availability & effectiveness of various armour/weapons, how enemy combatants handle distance / archery / horses, the utter boringness of fistfights (exactly the same as in TW3 actually), and so on.

Oh, btw, dragonul09 a fair number of points you raise are valid, and I'm sure most people think so - but nobody's going to bother having a discussion with you when you can't stop fapping to yourself & spamming for youtube clicks.

So me showing you actual evidence of the terrible AI, instead of just blabbing like a fool without proof is fapping to myself ? You guys and the mental gymnastics are doing in this thread are out of this world:lol:

Shadenuat

Arcane
I love the writing though. Even after all the fetching I loved the ending for haunted old hag quest. Sure it's no Witcher, because it's not a dramatic fairy tale, but the way they wrapped up that quest with Henry's own thoughts on dealing with past was good.

I just like how every quest of note in this game has down to earth morality based on real life routine and our (people's) inherent ability of being ever fallible.

Tigranes

Arcane
Oh, btw, dragonul09 a fair number of points you raise are valid, and I'm sure most people think so - but nobody's going to bother having a discussion with you when you can't stop fapping to yourself & spamming for youtube clicks.

So me showing you actual evidence of the terrible AI, instead of just blabbing like a fool without proof is fapping to myself ? You guys and the mental gymnastics are doing in this thread are out of this world:lol:

I don't know, I never clicked on any of your videos, because (1) I don't like youtubers or similar, (2) you kept spamming them and posting about how you are the Great Enlightened One and everyone else is a popamole dumbfuck and you are so smart etc etc

The funny thing is that even during the honeymoon period, when the game does look shinier, or we are reserving judgment until we see more, there were only like two dudes who were fanboyfapping? So I don't even know what you spent 100 pages crying about.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Re. honeymoons:

I actually think it's both. The real problem was always in its realism - it was bound to become "boring" for a lot of people once the excitement of the underlying RPG systems subsides. A fantasy game has infinitely more tools to keep you interested longer - crafting legendary swords, clearing goblin caves and ancient ruins, hunting epic dragons or larping as a werewolf or a vampire.

A lot of the praise we hear necessarily comes from people who simply fucked the game into every system orifice they could find, after 40 hours of the main quest jizzed all over it and now lighted a cigarette and with a contented smile are looking what more does the world have on offer. But there just isn't anything more lol, not for systemfags or combatfags. There's is no endgame content, no Paragon levels to raise.

If you're not willing and able to LARP in a realistic countryside in a fairly autistic roleplaying way, happy with hunting deer and playing with the crime AI, it's time to say "I've had a great run but now I'm moving on".

For me - that would be a great ending. I'm usually walking away from most games I play tired and disgusted.

Last edited:

Cromwell

Arcane

Its just that nobody gives a shit about you. I just started the hunting quest with hans and he got stuck riding against a fence while grinning, you would have made a video about it and cried for half an hour, I just reloaded. Even with all its flaws kcd is a better game than most for all the things they tried to do even if they didnt fully work out and if you dont even get why people may like the game even with all its flaws youre even more retarded than you seem.

I love the writing though. Even after all the fetching I loved the ending for haunted old hag quest. Sure it's no Witcher, because it's not a dramatic fairy tale, but the way they wrapped up that quest with Henry's own thoughts on dealing with past was good.

even witcher is no witcher if people would stop sperging about muh bloody baron in a 3 gazillion hour long game.

Tigranes

Arcane
cvv the issue is that whereas, say, 10 hours in, you are able to delight in discovering a new authentically built Bohemian village, shoot your way up from hare to deer, and go from lightly armed awkward scrub to a horse-riding mailed adventurer... none of these elements progress after that. LARPing hare hunt with Capon is fantastic, but how many hours are you going to spend poaching game?

That is why the places where I would say KCD could and should have done better lie with things like armour/power progression, and I'd add here the crime AI: apart from the sophisticated recognition system, everything about it is worse than even other open world RPGs. The thievery quests, which for me are usually the highlight of any RPG, get boring here fast because very few of them are designed to present interesting infiltration challenges, and if you get halfway good at speech, you can laugh away every guard that comes chasing you.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy

I don't know, I never clicked on any of your videos, because (1) I don't like youtubers or similar, (2) you kept spamming them and posting about how you are the Great Enlightened One and everyone else is a popamole dumbfuck and you are so smart etc etc

The funny thing is that even during the honeymoon period, when the game does look shinier, or we are reserving judgment until we see more, there were only like two dudes who were fanboyfapping? So I don't even know what you spent 100 pages crying about.

Youtuber? What are you talking about, I have 4 videos and all of them are about this games issues, jesus christ you people don't even want to see what I'm talking about, you just deny and give a shit rating, ridiculous:lol:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Most RPGs for 10+ years never had even 10 hours honey moon for me like when I was 13 and had to drag myself away from PC to do home work. I had to stop myself from turning PC on, I dropped newly bought warhammer little soldiers and paints where I painted them for at least a few days when I just began playing KCD.

Sure the honey moon was over for me too and I am wrapping up the game... (looks up playing time) ...after 64 hours.

Last time I was so obsessed with vidya game was with Child of Light because there was never anything as good looking made in years (because most modern games no matter their technology are artistically impotent and look like garbage).

Last edited:

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy

Its just that nobody gives a shit about you. I just started the hunting quest with hans and he got stuck riding against a fence while grinning, you would have made a video about it and cried for half an hour, I just reloaded. Even with all its flaws kcd is a better game than most for all the things they tried to do even if they didnt fully work out and if you dont even get why people may like the game even with all its flaws youre even more retarded than you seem.

even witcher is no witcher if people would stop sperging about muh bloody baron in a 3 gazillion hour long game.

Of course you don't give a shit, it's normal when you put your head so far up your ass.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Oh absolutely, improving the balance and AI - that's why I'm waiting with my playthrough. Only got as far as the hare hunting quest with Hans, about 12 hours in. I always wait with my plathrough of all RPGs, at least a few months, because the stat balance and AI are never right from the get go.

My comment was addressed to people - and I don't mean you - complaining about the world not having any more exciting content. That's where the game is never gonna "improve" in any fundamental way, at least I fucking hope. Replacing goblin lairs and ancient ruins with bandit caves and wolf dens every ten steps would destroy the game.

Shadenuat

Arcane
That's main campaign. Witcher 3 also had DLCs where quality of writing friggin skyrocketed and story was outstanding from very beginning to the end.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i bet it was covered in past pages: what is the 'proper' armor set?
Im interested in as light as possible with not terrible noise generation. Right now im close to 0 noise with some dark padded thingies and feel like its time Ive stopped being glass cannon

Get some dark brigandine gear. Relatively quiet and inconspicuous while still offering excellent protection.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Most RPGs for 10+ years never had even 10 hours honey moon for me like when I was 13 and had to drag myself away from PC to do home work. I had to stop myself from turning PC on, I dropped newly bought warhammer little soldiers and paints where I painted them for at least a few days when I just began playing KCD.

Sure the honey moon was over for me too and I am wrapping up the game... (looks up playing time) ...after 64 hours.

Last time I was so obsessed with vidya game was with Child of Light because there was never anything as good looking made in years.

Yeah, it's the best case scenario for most of us, most likely, and it's a wonderful best case scenario in my view.

I guess if they add jousting and multiplayer at some point swordfags like Skallagrim may play the game for years, battling it out at tournaments but for most of us it'll be a memorable adventure in a lovely world.

EDIT: ad Witcher 3 - It was an awesome adventure for the most part but I walked away from this game exhausted, after 100 hours, and for the last 20 I couldn't wait for it all to end. Couldn't stand the second half or BaW either. The best piece of content was HoS - relatively short, excellently written and poignant.

Cromwell

Arcane

Last time I was so obsessed with vidya game was with Child of Light because there was never anything as good looking made in years.

Yeah, it's the best case scenario for most of us, most likely, and it's a wonderful best case scenario in my view.

I guess if they add jousting and multiplayer at some point swordfags like Skallagrim may play the game for years, battling it out at tournaments but for most of us it'll be a memorable adventure in a lovely world.

EDIT: ad Witcher 3 - It was an awesome adventure for the most part but I walked away from this game exhausted, after 100 hours, and for the last 20 I couldn't wait for it all to end. Couldn't stand the second half or BaW either. The best piece of content was HoS - relatively short, excellently written and poignant.

Same here, BaW wasnt very good imho, same mediocre stuff most of the main campaign turned out to be. W3 is also a perfect example of how more exciting content as you put it can make a game way worse.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Blood and Wine is an example of what you should get if you pay for DLC, other developers who delivered less should be whipped due to existance of Witcher-level DLCs (which are basically old school add-ons).

And I was perfectly satisfied with ending everything with a drink with vampire friend.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
BaW "good" ending is essentially a crime without punishment. All attempts to punish Syanna result in a major clusterfuck. Very original IMO.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
This game cracks me up so much. :lol:
Spoilers for the Waldensians quest.

I decided to side with Godwin and eavesdropped on the Bauers. I then came back to them and tried to convince the lady to leave, to no avail (even though I had more speech than required, odd shit). Anyway, I was in a pickle because I didn't want to help the Vicar, so I opted for a more... drastic approach.
I snuck up at night in Godwin's house, knocked the Vicar out in his sleep, carried him all the way to the woods up north in an accident site, dropped him off there and killed him on the spot. I then rode all the way back to Rattay, cleaned my sword at the grindstone so no one would ever suspect me if they decided to search me, and reported back to Hanush.

The game takes into account that you can kill the Vicar, and I even had enough speech to lie through my teeth and tell Hanush that the heretics killed him! :lol:

I just hope this doesn't come back to bite me in the ass at some point.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
should have just waited like 2 weeks and then pirated the gog version desu if you know that you react negatively if a purchase ends up being not worth it

why? he pirated the initial non-patched steam release instead.. if he says he purchased it, it is a lie. there were screens earlier showing him posting on steam discussion forums and he didn't have the mouse icon by his name which indicates ownership.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
should have just waited like 2 weeks and then pirated the gog version desu if you know that you react negatively if a purchase ends up being not worth it

why? he pirated the initial non-patched steam release instead.. if he says he purchased it, it is a lie. there were screens earlier showing him posting on steam discussion forums and he didn't have the mouse icon by his name which indicates ownership.

Is there a filthy pirate tag? There should be.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom