Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

Codex Year of the Donut
KC was downgraded after all

361066061.jpg

361070413.jpg
a bunch of volumetric fog & lighting effects are turned off because the game already has piss performance
that's the major difference between the left and right, btw.
you should be able to toggle volumetric fog on at least through the console
hit '`' (grave accent) and enter e_VolumetricFog = 1

Also, a lot of cryengine settings require an application restart for them to take full effect. The lack of any warning whatsoever about this probably isn't a good idea as it gives a bad impression when comparing graphics settings without a restart.

Last edited:

Elex

Arbiter
Is this game supposed to be difficult? I already killed the first boss (Runt) and only died twice. Once for pushing my luck against well equiped bandits while injured and the second against Runt (mostly bad luck, killed him almost instantly afterwards).

So far I have equiped myself with the best stuff Rattau has to offer and I feel like I'm very OP.
at some point henry go from litterally paesant to the protegee of some important knight, he start getting a lot of advantage, (he earn the advantage but still get them).

for gameplay reason all happen pretty fast, but Hal start training with litterally Syrio Forel plus Henry is extremely motivated.

he get the equivalent training of a lord, and if you get also the gear it’s a huge step up.

still some perk are extremely unbalanced in favor of the player, like when suddenly henry can destroy a plate armor with 2 swing.

Beowulf

Arcane
Does getting the deed from bailiff requires insanely high lockpick?
i've pickpocketed everything from him, but in non of the containers the deed was found.
There is a bunch of very hard locked wardrobes which are impossible to lockpick with 12 points in lockpick.
Is the deed in one of them?

It's on the desk on the upper floor (the room above where he usually works). You only need to pick the lock to the doors, there should be no need to pick any container.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Does getting the deed from bailiff requires insanely high lockpick?
i've pickpocketed everything from him, but in non of the containers the deed was found.
There is a bunch of very hard locked wardrobes which are impossible to lockpick with 12 points in lockpick.
Is the deed in one of them?

The deed is
upstairs on a table in the corner of the room, you have to walk up to it for a prompt to even appear.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Jesus people are retarded, side quests are fedex? The fetch shit is "activities", they're specifically called that, they even have a special tab in the journal and they're there for you as an alternative way to make money, if you want to LARP as a pissful soyboy.

Also lol to people who heroically downloaded the save mod, are savescumming the shit out of the game and then crying they broke the economy. Try to be a thief without savescumming. One botched lockpicking or pickpocketing attempt, one botched attempt to kill someone at night - they'll scream, alert the guards, you're gonna end up in a slammer, your reputation will tank and for the next two days you'll be walking around with a heavy debuff. You'll be an outcast, nobody will talk to you, trade with you or give you quests and you'll be forced to pack your shit and go robbing honest Christian folk in some other town.

THAT'S roleplaying you degraded millenials.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So, those nails I was supposed to get for Theresa: I already bought nails before from the merchant, and she happily took those nails.
A bit later after the attack and all I'm back at my home, open the chest, and "automatically" loot all that's inside.
Now I have "Theresa's nails" in my inventory and can't get rid of them, because they're quest items. :roll:
Not that it matters. But the autistic part of myself is annoyed.

Why would I trek around to find stuff?
Fucking open world games have forgotten to give us reasons to play all the random content scattered around
Play ELEX!

Mark Richard

Arcane
More thoughts from Skall. He's saying whatever comes to mind while running around, so don't expect an in-depth critique.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
More thoughts from Skall. He's saying whatever comes to mind while running around, so don't expect an in-depth critique.

Skall said:
I gave my last salami to someone on the way

The detached head is something I've been seeing too. It's annoying, yes, but not gamebreaking. Same applies to people's bodies clipping through their clothes.

Very interesting that he is running into these problems. I have the same CPU, an older GPU, less RAM, but I'm running from SSD. I don't know what could be the problem with him.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Smejki , what's up with the dice game?
I don't think he's allowed to talk with us anymore, either because his interaction led to shit like this: http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/407330798 or because they're in Stealth mode after release, at least till they fix some Bugs and shit and the game is in a more playable state.
I'm talking stuff, but even I would try hard to avoid any bad things in a tread about a game I worked on. Frankly throwing bullshit didn't help anything. He's lucky they din't quote his post under it.
But, when I looked at that 4chan thread it was mild. Just a random chatter.

I doubt he was informed RPGCodex is a septic of the internet, and he's totally utterly forbidden to talk with what's lying inside. He was probably just put on some work to ensure they would have bit less bugs in next 6 months.

What's bit problematic is a quest compass and other funny stuff. Basically lack of design. Could they try to avoid unnecessary quest compass? Sure. Did they? Well, they are not three developers working on free in theirs spare time/during unemployed period, and they didn't even allowed to fine tune quest compass in options.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.

361066061.jpg

361070413.jpg
a bunch of volumetric fog & lighting effects are turned off because the game already has piss performance

Also, a lot of cryengine settings require an application restart for them to take full effect. The lack of any warning whatsoever about this probably isn't a good idea as it gives a bad impression when comparing graphics settings without a restart.

The difference is defenitely not just in effects. Just compare the foliage in those screens. Game looks brilliant, but they showed us a lot of stuff that looked much better than what we got at release. Guess they had to downgrade to keep this thing running on home pc's. Shame they didn't keep it all in as options for ultra machines or for what pc's will be like in 5 years or so.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Smejki , what's up with the dice game?
I don't think he's allowed to talk with us anymore, either because his interaction led to shit like this: http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/407330798 or because they're in Stealth mode after release, at least till they fix some Bugs and shit and the game is in a more playable state.
I'm talking stuff, but even I would try hard to avoid any bad things in a tread about a game I worked on. Frankly throwing bullshit didn't help anything. He's lucky they din't quote his post under it.
But, when I looked at that 4chan thread it was mild. Just a random chatter.

I doubt he was informed RPGCodex is a septic of the internet, and he's totally utterly forbidden to talk with what's lying inside. He was probably just put on some work to ensure they would have bit less bugs in next 6 months.

What's bit problematic is a quest compass and other funny stuff. Basically lack of design. Could they try to avoid unnecessary quest compass? Sure. Did they? Well, they are not three developers working on free in theirs spare time/during unemployed period, and they didn't even allowed to fine tune quest compass in options.

I wonder how much of that is the dev team choosing priorities, would they spend time to work on altering the UI for the customization, or working on the stuff they deemed more important and leaving optional stuff for later patches and/or modders, who will make UI mods either way.

Lord Romulus

Arcane
Loving the game so far. There's the sword store in Rattay with all the high level swords on display, but the swords get put away in very hard locked safes in the backroom at night or if a fight breaks out or if they discover a murder there. So I decided to murder one of the workers there working outside in the smith nearby, stole the key to the store, broke in at night to murder the store guard sleeping there as well as the woman there, came back to the store during the day to murder the store owner who was the only person left alive working there, then grabbed every weapon there and hid them back in Pescher's chest by my bed.

Glitches are annoying as fuck though, just had a debt collector approach me while I was picking a lock so now I can't select any of the dialogue options so it's stuck.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

361066061.jpg

361070413.jpg

The difference is defenitely not just in effects. Just compare the foliage in those screens. Game looks brilliant, but they showed us a lot of stuff that looked much better than what we got at release. Guess they had to downgrade to keep this thing running on home pc's. Shame they didn't keep it all in as options for ultra machines or for what pc's will be like in 5 years or so.
The main problem is there is different foliage on each image. On the left, normal forest. On the right, some birch trees with random grass.

When it's not the same area, it's really hard to make proper comparison. On the other hand, imagine it would be the same area... In few months they felled forest planted birches and let them grow into these sizes. Scary.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

I wonder how much of that is the dev team choosing priorities, would they spend time to work on altering the UI for the customization, or working on the stuff they deemed more important and leaving optional stuff for later patches and/or modders, who will make UI mods either way.

A commercial company should never release game with words "moders would fix it". They might, but why would happen to developer's name?

When they disabled save on exit (because of bugs) without any compensation, moders fixed it, they enabled unlimited saves and everything was golden. But quest compass/design is integral part of how the game was designed, perhaps moders would find a way how to disable unwanted quest markers, but properly made mod that would do things correctly would be called total overhaul. And even if there is a modder that wants to do that, that would take time.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Activities are fedex quests but they are not repeating radiant shit, raise your skills and some have very, very interesting consequences including to your reputation (like old whore revenge quest).

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Jesus people are retarded, side quests are fedex? The fetch shit is "activities", they're specifically called that, they even have a special tab in the journal and they're there for you as an alternative way to make money, if you want to LARP as a pissful soyboy.
I actually like some of those fetch quests since you can boost different stats through the tasks they give, like the thieving ones from Peshek increase lockpicking or pickpocketing, clearing camps improves stealth/strength/defence depends on you do it, the poaching task increases bow stat and hunting, so on and so forth. And hey, like you said, those activities pay really well too.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Game looks brilliant, but they showed us a lot of stuff that looked much better than what we got at release.

Game was developed on PC, what we saw in the beta was how it'd look like if everybody in the world had a reasonably robust PC.

Then they started to port the game over to consoles and had to downgrade a lot of stuff along the way, even for the PC version.

I think it's a tragic missed opportunity, they should've gone full balls-to-the-wall Rain Man autistic with this game. It's already a hard-core open world RPG with limited saving, without magic or dragons, from an obscure area of an obscure country, in an obscure place of time, full of names like Przybyslawitz, Woytzic or Uzhitz lol. No wonder all the publishers laughed them out of the door with a pitch like that. They should've custom tailored the game for 32GB RAM and the most beastly GPUs available in 2014, paired in SLI.

And then they'd release it and maybe only 50 000 people could run in the the world and they'd go catastrophically bankrupt. But it would be absolutely glorious, without any concessions, downgrades or compromises whatsoever.

Them and their families would starve to death but they'd live forever in the annals of videogame history :smug:

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

A commercial company should never release game with words "moders would fix it". They might, but why would happen to developer's name?

When they disabled save on exit (because of bugs) without any compensation, moders fixed it, they enabled unlimited saves and everything was golden. But quest compass/design is integral part of how the game was designed, perhaps moders would find a way how to disable unwanted quest markers, but properly made mod that would do things correctly would be called total overhaul. And even if there is a modder that wants to do that, that would take time.

"Modders will fix it" was something we coined derisively.

That said, there is some level in which games of this type can be "fixed" by modders, generally, revolving around making the game more challenging and autistic. Most commercial games cannot afford to go all the way in that respect, where as modders can do anything they want. The key is whether the base game is good enough. The issue with Oblivion and company is that the base game was so atrocious that no amount of modding could fix any of them. KCD seems to be good enough of a starting point that modders could do something truly special with it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom