Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter "Eurojank" filter

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It's "jank", because it's "janky".

"Janky" is like the gender-queer of "quirky".

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Both games are precisely the definition of jank though, as in "imitating something else, but of poor quality." I liked ELEX, but its ambition outweighs the developer's resources resulting in a lot of good-idea-questionable-execution type stuff, and watching videos of KCD, it looks like the same.

These games are often liked because they care about ambition before caring about finish, but I mean, that makes the jank-term totally applicable.
Please tell me how "imitating something else, but of poor quality" is a description which you can't apply to 90% of videogames. If we didn't need parasitic words up to now, we'll do fine without them in the future.

Codex has used "jank" since I registered and the rest of the world since the dawn of the internet, the notion that it is somehow some new fad strikes me as incredibly odd. If you're saying that KCD and Elex don't have remarkably poor polish compared to most video games, well, I disagree.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Both games are precisely the definition of jank though, as in "imitating something else, but of poor quality." I liked ELEX, but its ambition outweighs the developer's resources resulting in a lot of good-idea-questionable-execution type stuff, and watching videos of KCD, it looks like the same.

These games are often liked because they care about ambition before caring about finish, but I mean, that makes the jank-term totally applicable.
Please tell me how "imitating something else, but of poor quality" is a description which you can't apply to 90% of videogames. If we didn't need parasitic words up to now, we'll do fine without them in the future.

Codex has used "jank" since I registered and the rest of the world since the dawn of the internet, the notion that it is somehow some new fad strikes me as incredibly odd. If you're saying that KCD and Elex don't have remarkably poor polish compared to most video games, well, I disagree.
1st, I haven't encountered "jank" until recently, but I'll assume you're right.
2nd, no, this is not what I am saying.

Lukaszek, I can write my own filter for uBlock Origin, but it's not that fun when only I am seeing the result.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
2nd, no, this is not what I am saying.

If it isn't, then what's your issue with that description? Because that's what I, and, I assume, most others, mean when they label them "jank." In essence, that usability was sacrificed in order to focus on other areas. Something can be janky regardless of whether or not the developers were succesful with the sacrifice.

As for the word's origins, Wiktionary's entry is from '11, and Urban has entries going back to '03. It's been in the Magic the Gathering vocabulary since I at least '05, used to describe decks that didn't do much or were just "a pile of cards."

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
I want to ridicule the people who 1) don't know what they are talking about, and 2) don't know how to properly describe something, and thus turn to this meaningless word.

from over here though it looks like you're triggered by a word, like some kind of faggy snowflake

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I cannot for the love of me, understand the appeal of either ELEX or KCD. Both games look just shitty to me. Eh. Everybody on the codex seems infected with the "omg kcd is amazing" syndrome lately.

wake me up when its over

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
eurojank games are from european devs that are largely filled with bugs and jank, but the overlying systems and gameplay are unique and really ambitious.. bethesda jank is just jank there's nothing good behind it.

stalker and arma are eurojank for instance

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
But before we agree on what eurojank means, we may have to define what an rpg is.

:M
This is RPG:

H5xNOS4.jpg

+M

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
I cannot for the love of me, understand the appeal of either ELEX or KCD. Both games look just shitty to me. Eh. Everybody on the codex seems infected with the "omg kcd is amazing" syndrome lately.

wake me up when its over

There's a European plot to take over the Codex.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
A derogatory term used by stupid overcompensating americans. I don't mind it,just shows who is butthurt when a good European game comes out. Most good rpgs past few years are coming from Europa,most american games are repetitive shit this days. Only good american studio that makes RPGs is Obsidian,lets hope that they don't fuck up PoE:D.

Mengsk didn't know that globalists sjws call themself Europeans. Isn't kind.....nationalistic?

PorkBarrellGuy

So there's Eurojank, Gookclick, Japshit... need some :creative: monikers for 'Kwan and Canadian stuff.

Only good american studio that makes RPGs is Obsidian,lets hope that they don't fuck up PoE:D.

:roll: I think Obsidian's probably going to earn the "Obshitian" nickname, but I'm a pessimist anyway.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
So there's Eurojank, Gookclick, Japshit... need some :creative: monikers for 'Kwan and Canadian stuff.

Only good american studio that makes RPGs is Obsidian,lets hope that they don't fuck up PoE:D.

:roll: I think Obsidian's probably going to earn the "Obshitian" nickname, but I'm a pessimist anyway.
Yeah i agree with you mate,really have bad feelz about the new PoE. I didn't write it because i didn't want to sound too pessimistic.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What the fuck is eurojank?

God dammit millennials stop dreaming up words and get a job.

Also, get off my lawn.

Ocelot

Learned
Americans trying to cope with being left behind by European studios and progressively becoming the shittiest of them all. Them Europeans must be so dumb playing their unpolished turds while ultra-refined games like FIFA 2018 exist, right? It's all just euro-jank haha pass the Dew bro.

wake me up when its over

There's a European plot to take over the Codex.

Moooods, shut the thread down. They know.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
European games tend to be broken due to ambitions not matching quality control of smaller teams. On the other hand you have major studios like Bethesda, Ubisoft (French studio sure but a lot of their stuff is made in USA or Canada) or EA releasing supposedly AAA, assembly line games that are nigh unplayable on release due to technical problems.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
European games tend to be broken due to ambitions not matching quality control of smaller teams. On the other hand you have major studios like Bethesda, Ubisoft (French studio sure but a lot of their stuff is made in USA or Canada) or EA releasing supposedly AAA, assembly line games that are nigh unplayable on release due to technical problems.
Montreal games don't count.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
from over here though it looks like you're triggered by a word, like some kind of faggy snowflake
Nah, I'm just overreacting for comic effect. It's what this section of the forum is for, I am informed.
"It was merely and act", here, on the Codex of all places?
Pfui to you sir

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom