Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 1 is the best RPG of all time that stood the test of time

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
What the first Fallout nails is the atmosphere. There are no frills here; the stuff about the 1950s, and the vault experiments, don’t make an appearance. It’s just a desolate, savage wasteland—and you can feel it the second you leave the vault. And the horrors hiding in that post-apocalypse, well...people have only heard rumors. Fallout 1 built the sort of mystery and intrigue, back when Deathclaws and Super Mutants were brand new to everyone. These enemies aren’t just fodder. They’re truly terrifying, and Fallout 1 makes you understand why.
Also, this was the game with The Master—one of the greatest villains in video game history.You can actualy convince him that he is wrong.
While the combat is not as tactical as the more advanced brothers (x-com, jagged alliance),it's pure RPG combat, praying to the RNG gods, even when you have the best gear available, turn based and dice roll is the essence of what a RPG combat for me should be, and Fallout has that perfect combination, your twitch skills do not matter, it's not about how fast you can click the mouse button or press the awesome button, it's about the player character skills and the rng.
The story is also enganging and while it might not be the best written one overall, the plot and premise is clear and presented in a interesting way.

It also features one of the greatest gaming moments ever when you get the quest to explore THE GLOW

maxresdefault.jpg

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This is thread-worthy? Sure, Fallout is a masterpiece, a gesamtkunstwerk even. The sky is also blue. Big boobs look nice. Res ipsa loquitur.

At least give us a novel reason why it's good. If a proposition isn't really arguable, is it worth saying?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I hate time limits. I hate them so much, that I usually avoid games that have them. FO1 is great despite the time limit, not because of it.

The time limit is what keeps one from degenerately resting to heal. If you don't do that, there's no way you can lose.

Trashos

Arcane
The time limit is what keeps one from degenerately resting to heal. If you don't do that, there's no way you can lose.

What do you mean, you can be killed in combat. Or, generally speaking, there can be challenging quests that are hard to figure out. That's what I look for in games, not time limits. In games where we heal with time, there shouldn't be healing with time, afaic.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
What do you mean, you can be killed in combat. Or, generally speaking, there can be challenging quests that are hard to figure out. That's what I look for in games, not time limits. In games where we heal with time, there shouldn't be healing with time, afaic.

I meant losing against the time limit.

They didn't want you to rely entirely on stimpaks or visiting a doctor for healing (though you can). So you get two medical skills you can use three times per day plus waiting. Since Fallout 2 doesn't use a time limit (except the one that takes 14 years on account on an engine limitation), first aid became an absolutely worthless skill and doctor is only something to use to heal crippled limbs.

Lhynn

Arcane
time limit is fine. My only complain would be that its too tight, i didnt even knew you could get to necropolis before it got invaded for the longest time.

PorkBarrellGuy

I hate time limits. I hate them so much, that I usually avoid games that have them. FO1 is great despite the time limit, not because of it.
If there's one thing that bugs me about a lot of RPG quests it's that the quest givers rarely if ever give a shit how promptly you fetch their foozle or whatever. I'm sure certain quests don't really need a time limit, but for many it clearly makes sense for it to be there in some capacity.

If I had to nitpick FO1 I'd do it on the grounds of the mechanical underpinnings of the SPECIAL system as implemented in FO1. The fact that Charisma is worthless and yet Speech is one of the most powerful skills in the game never ceases to annoy me. The companions' lack of a "do this, not this" menu (which would later be implemented in FO2) is also a mild annoyance (and the lack of a "move bitch get out of the way" dropdown button for NPCs in FO1 is a surprisingly large oversight).

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I agree. If Fallout were ever to receive a proper remaster, it would pretty much need to have its few UI inconveniences sorted, companion AI that isn't braindead, and actual tactical combat. Everything else is just great as it is.

It's a shame Fallout 2 is often described as "a bigger, better Fallout", when reality says otherwise. It is bigger, yes. It is also worst in almost every aspect sans companion controls and a few UI issues sorted.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

Yup. Time limits are counter intuitive to cRPGs. There's a whole world to explore, learn, and fight stuff. Time limits forces you to skip all of that.

Thankfully you can remove the time limit after getting the water chip.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom