Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

Delterius

Arcane
But I actually didn't even know there were charisma checks in dialogs. Blends pretty well with the other dialogs, I guess.
Its almost always some NPC choosing to give you something extra due to your high reaction modifier. Some are in Candlekeep. At least one other is the bearophobe, who gives you nothing if you're ugly.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Here are some early CHA checks that I managed to hunt down from the abyss that is the internet -

Bolt quest (Candlekeep) : You'll get a dagger +1 if you have high enough charisma/reputation.
Hull's longsword (Candlekeep) : You'll get more money for handing it in and a different dialogue.
Lady with spider problem (Friendly Arm Inn) : She'll hand over 6 (?) antidotes if you have high charisma.
Silke (Beregost) : She'll give you 400 gold instead of 300.
Polar bear guy (Wilderness map) : He'll give you the 50% Cold resistance boots if you have high charisma.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
If you have ultra-high Charisma you can also make the nobless at the Inn at Candlekeep (at the start) undress her jewels and you can rob them on the upper floor.

sullynathan

Arcane
I'm also finding far less nonviolent ways to convince people than I expected. Nearly every solution to talking with someone almost always ends up in a fight.

BG has a weird design. You won't find charisma checks or things alike. However you will stumble upon 15 different generic gentlemen who all have their unique way to tell the peasant pc to fuck off.
Now, I suggest that you keep paying attention to dialogs though, there are a lot of them with specific outcomes. The thing is, it doesn't revolves around checks or obvious choices as with your typical game, but prefers the whacky way. For those dialogs, the best way to know the correct answer is to randomly select it.
So, yeah, weird design. Imagine that you're playing a standard DnD adventure with a rather goofy DM, basically.
My tutorial character had more points in strength and constitution but I rolled my current character and started with high charisma and intelligence. I'm 12 hours in now and I've not used it for anything.

I will say however that the game is pretty good and much much larger than expected. I went to Nashkel because my companions were bothering me about it and found that chapter 2 immediately starts and all my chapter 1 quests get removed. I loaded my save back and I'm currently exploring as much as possible and that world is huge. The only hard stop I'll say is Durlag's tower.

Another thing, I'm playing the enhanced edition. I've had 4 crashes so far which sucks ass.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I will say however that the game is pretty good and much much larger than expected. I went to Nashkel because my companions were bothering me about it and found that chapter 2 immediately starts and all my chapter 1 quests get removed. I loaded my save back

The quests are not removed. But your journal is divided into chapters.

Another thing, I'm playing the enhanced edition. I've had 4 crashes so far which sucks ass.

I played a heavily modded BGT and had on average much fewer crashes than that.
Beamdog sucks ass. But sadly sucking ass is profitable.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Something a bit bigger than a nitpick for BG2 (which I am currently loving btw):

You get a game-over screen whenever your character dies.

But... what about resurrection spells?

Whenever your character gets mazed.

Maze wears off.

Whenever your character gets turned to stone.

Which can be countered.

It seems the game has to crash whenever it can't identify the player character as being active and provides a game over screen as a cover up.

sullynathan

Arcane
20 hours in still in chapter 1 about level 4 for my party. I have to say that my party is pretty strong now, a but disappointed with how powerful mages are because my fighters end up feeling like shit since they don't always hit their target.

I got Neera and the dark elf because she suckered me into killing a guard and getting plate armor which I woulda bought. I think Neera has fallen in love with my character already, oh romance

I'm not really a big fan of some of the respawning enemies.

There are 5 quests I currently have in Durlag's tower which I've been putting off because those flame sword knights are hard.

There's also this orc wizard at the bridge that's tough as hell.

In the city in the top right of the map, there's a wizard that teleport me to an icy island to fight another tough wizard battle.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
20 hours in still in chapter 1 about level 4 for my party. I have to say that my party is pretty strong now, a but disappointed with how powerful mages are because my fighters end up feeling like shit since they don't always hit their target.

I got Neera and the dark elf because she suckered me into killing a guard and getting plate armor which I woulda bought. I think Neera has fallen in love with my character already, oh romance

I'm not really a big fan of some of the respawning enemies.

There are 5 quests I currently have in Durlag's tower which I've been putting off because those flame sword knights are hard.

There's also this orc wizard at the bridge that's tough as hell.

In the city in the top right of the map, there's a wizard that teleport me to an icy island to fight another tough wizard battle.

One drawback of not doing the main quest at all will be that you wont be getting main quest XP which vastly outshadows random XP, and also any items in drops and chests from main quest missions. What I did was a bit of main quest, then a bit of free-roaming, a bit of main quest, a bit of free roaming, etc. Going full-free roam at chapter one seems a bit extreme tbh. Also, some NPCs don't appear if you don't complete bits of the main quest, such as the woman who gives you huge gold for bandit scalps.

Something a bit bigger than a nitpick for BG2 (which I am currently loving btw):

That part actually makes sense in-game - due to the purpose for which Bhaalspawns were made.

Sure, that's why none of it matters regarding imoen.

Sizzle

Arcane

That part actually makes sense in-game - due to the purpose for which Bhaalspawns were made.

Imoen was tacked on at the last minute, she was originally supposed to die at Spellhold.

They probably couldn't work out/code in her not being able to be raised from the dead like the PC in time.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot

Imoen was tacked on at the last minute, she was originally supposed to die at Spellhold.

They probably couldn't work out/code in her not being able to be raised from the dead like the PC in time.

I guess its obvious now that you have some obscure answer you can completely pull out ur ass for any angle regarding this topic, so lets move forward:

Are there any other team-based (but only single character at the same time) RPGs where the game ends if your character dies/gets incapacitated during combat? I'm sure there must be, but I can't think of one off the top of my head. Its usually total-party-wipe or play-on, no?

For imoen, some accepts the "explanation" that the bhaal essence is dormant in her, and due to this she can get resurrected - call it a feature for her being a bhaalspawn.

Every bhaalspawn gets a special 'gift', Sarevok his ability and great stats, your main character the fact that you can save the game (otherwise your character is total shit compared to the other bhaalspawns), etc etc

Lacrymas

Arcane
The free-roaming is almost completely disconnected from the chapters. I think you can complete 80% of the maps without stepping foot in Nashkel, only Baldur's Gate (the city) and Cloakwood are closed off to you, so knock yourself out.

sullynathan

Arcane
The free-roaming is almost completely disconnected from the chapters. I think you can complete 80% of the maps without stepping foot in Nashkel, only Baldur's Gate (the city) and Cloakwood are closed off to you, so knock yourself out.
yea I went to Baldurs gate and a guard is blocking the city. I've also been trying to do the cloak quest then found out it's in cloakwood which is locked away for me.

Since that point I'm only level 5 or 6 depending on companion now which isn't that good. I also can't keep track of where my previous companions are which is dumb.

Melcar

Arcane
Story-wise, if you don't take the Zhents or the Harpers in your team, then there is no problem with just exploring from the start. Of course, once you do start with the story you may get bored fast.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Only single-class Bards, Thieves and Druids can get to level 10 in BG1 and only Mages can get to level 9. Everyone else is limited to 8. And that's only with the expansion, but I'm sure very few people play BG1 without TotSC.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
You're gonna meet a lot of companions way too late to consider reforming the party though. Which is quite a shame, I always found companions from Cloakwood and BG to be super fun. Especially the pair of insane gnomes.

sullynathan

Arcane
You're gonna meet a lot of companions way too late to consider reforming the party though. Which is quite a shame, I always found companions from Cloakwood and BG to be super fun. Especially the pair of insane gnomes.
I've met a good 10 - 12. I just keep joining and removing. it's a bit annoying ghat certain companions come in a pack.

Lacrymas

Arcane
BG1 has 25 (!) companions. Evil party is the coolest and it doesn't feel like you are in a happy-go-lucky adventure with your buddies. Some companions do come extremely late, though, especially Quayle, Tiax, Skie and Alora. Unless you purposefully want to use them, who will ever pick them up? You'll also have to hold off on leveling and rush to Baldur's Gate.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Xzar, Monty, Vicky, Kagain and Edwin = :love: Flavour with Tiax as needed.

I've always found Xzar a bit ...redundant, tbh, regardless of the way you build him. Edwin is a better Mage than he is and, this is my preference, I usually play with only 1 Mage in the party, I find that it becomes too easy with more. If you give him the tome of WIS and dual him to Cleric, I think Viconia is a better Cleric than he can be by virtue of the magic resistance, 19 DEX and potential to wear heavy armor. My ideal party would be MC (which is always something other than a Mage), Edwin, Viconia (substitute her with Faldorn/Eldoth if MC is a Cleric), Shar-Teel, Coran with Helm of Opposite Alignment and Kagain, but since the HoOA comes way too late, I substitute Coran with Monty.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom