Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
The deer never seem to move even if I have shot them with arrows, they're all cozy with their grass eating.
Fighting the dude now and he attacks me plenty, it is a big challenge for me though since I'm usually terrible at this kind of actiony combat.
Don't really know what to say then. Even if I stand perfectly still he often just has a staring contest with me and can look at me for a good 5 to 10 seconds. If he attacks his combos are brutal and will take you out quick though.

Sinatar

Arbiter
Combat with really high level enemies is awfully tiring, especially ones with shields. High level enemies like Ulrich the Knight who is in a quest later on almost never attack you, rarely giving you a opening and if you attack first they just perfect block and riposte/counterattack which you can't block.

Yup. Once you clear the first 2 sets of camps (Bandits and Cumans) and unlock the third, the combat becomes a ridiculous slog. It takes eons to kill enemies because they have 100% parry/riposte accuracy on your attacks (and that's with 20 warfare and 20 mace), so you have to stand there and wait for them to swing at you and slowly wittle them down with ripostes. But the AI is incredibly passive at this point so this takes for. fucking. ever.

Tigranes

Arcane
The deer never seem to move even if I have shot them with arrows, they're all cozy with their grass eating.
Fighting the dude now and he attacks me plenty, it is a big challenge for me though since I'm usually terrible at this kind of actiony combat.
Don't really know what to say then. Even if I stand perfectly still he often just has a staring contest with me and can look at me for a good 5 to 10 seconds. If he attacks his combos are brutal and will take you out quick though.

I mean, 5-10 seconds of staring isn't very strange in such a duel...?

He really is brutal, though.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I think it was Lyric Suite who talked about this earlier, how the game constantly slows down in combat with that annoying SHWOOOSH futuristic sound, that also really annoys me. The combat looks pretty decent mechanics wise but it honestly falls apart entirely later on, you can take out weaker enemies with single stabs and stronger ones are a slog.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I mean, 5-10 seconds of staring isn't very strange in such a duel...?

He really is brutal, though.
I only managed to beat him because I cheesed it by stabbing him 3 times before he even took out his sword or shield. I'd say 5-10 seconds is a bit if your opponent stands still especially considering that the game told you to never stop moving. It also shows that the combat is a tad barebones since in a more detailed and polished system he'd be doing SOMETHING like shield bashing to give him a opening.
Also, how do combos work? I can never pull them off proper. I wanted to so the slash, slash, stab stab longsword combo but it just feels impossible.

Tigranes

Arcane
Just beat him, fair and square. Like Runt, though, I'm not sure I could do it again! Maybe once I figure out the combat better.

No, 5-10 seconds isn't long - I spend ~5 seconds with many heavily armoured enemies, ready to parry/riposte, circling round, shifting my sword position. Things are going on, it's not like everybody is swinging their sword non-stop for the entire fight. I really don't get why you'd expect or want you/enemy to be lunging at each other constantly.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Well, it wouldn't be if there WAS something going on like what you brought up. Except there wasn't in my case, we just looked at each other and were more still than a statue. I'd assume you'd go in for the attack on someone who is completely still instead of just looking at him.

PrettyDeadman

Have to ask, anyone else having trouble seeing during night time? Got a bunch of night missions (story) in a row and I can't see a damn thing. I even cranked up the brightness but it's still dark as hell.
Use a torch?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I think it was Lyric Suite who talked about this earlier, how the game constantly slows down in combat with that annoying SHWOOOSH futuristic sound, that also really annoys me. The combat looks pretty decent mechanics wise but it honestly falls apart entirely later on, you can take out weaker enemies with single stabs and stronger ones are a slog.
There could be an argument for realism in this case though.

Regarding combos, I can't always pull them off against Bernard, but he is a great sparring partner to level up skills and teach you how to time combos. Are combos really needed any more once you are high enough level though?

Regarding archery where I suck even worse, will shooting at the practice targets improve my skill, or only hunting does that?

Also, I'm nearly always assuming quests are on a timer, and hence I advance the main quest maybe a little faster than needed. I've got the wedding preparation quest from the lady of Talmberg, where I have to fetch three objects. Is that quest on a timer? What about the "find the guy with a limp" quest from the main quest line? I got the "return to Skalitz yet again and look for the hidden loot" from Kunesh, but I suppose that one is not on a timer :)

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Some enemies are tougher and if you have an opening and they are stunlocked a combo could be a good way to finish them off.

Elex

Arbiter
After playing some 10 for the last 3 days, here's my toughts so far.

Before releasing I said many times that while the combat looked really bad, the content (quests and exploration) seemed good and hoped for the RPG mechanics to be good.

Sadly, so far both the content and mechanics seem bad.

The combat is everything I said it would be - clunky, slow, boring and frustating - and more - after experimenting with it I am pretty sure that all enemies have more health than Henry, since even when I fought, 1 on 1, against bandits not even equiped with a Gambeson a wielding a Seaux, and I with a Gambeson + Mail Coif + helmet and wielding a Sword with almost 20 more damge than his, the bastard did more damage to me in 2 strikes than I did to him in 5.

The combat AI is also not very balanced, in the regard that one shitty peasent does the same quantity of dodges, blocks and parries that a knight does (and they do a lot).

The AI itself. Well... It does react to a lot of things (like a dog barks they go check it, and many other cool shit), however they are really slow to start those reactions. The player makes an action and they usually take some 10 seconds before starting their reaction to it.

The RPG mechanics are bad. It a bit like the problem in some old RPG's like Daggerfall were you have skills and you'll only use 2/3 trought the whole game. And there's also a lot of perks and skills that are just plain fucking retard.
For example the Reading skill. I know barely anyone know to read or write those days, but couln't they just have made that into a perk that to unlock you had to find someone who could teach you and then either pay him or make a quest for him. Reading perks include shit like "You will get a reading bonus when sited".

:deathclaw:

What even is a reading bonus. Or another perk that discover every single point of interest in your map. Great design right there. Does wonder for the exploration.
The herbalist skill makes no fucking sense, again it could just be a perk in the Alquemy skill that made the player reconize plants, and in the 2nd tier of that perk he would know their effects. I mean Henry can't read he can identify every single flower, berrie and grass in the land.

The lockpick minigame is ridicolous. And not once I manageto try and pickpocket someone. The button just doesn't appear, not even when the NPC's are sleeping.

Moving on.

The Quests so far have been either, fetch quests, follow someone or investigate a big area for X. I don't know if it gets better but after 10 hours I can't get to do an activity that isn't shit.

Exploration so far I would almost put it on the level of Skyrim. It just isn't any kind of reward or a cool little quest/level like you would get in Gothic or Morrowind. There's just seems to be nothing of interest.

The optimization is also one of the player's biggest enemies. I can run Battlefield 1 on Ultra with 60+ fps. Yet even if I make a mix between Medium and High I barely surpass the 30fps mark. I also get 2-5 second freezes almost every 5 minutes.

Some nitpicks:
The UI is cleary for consoles. So are the controls.
The blue screen filter when running out of stamina is anoying. So is the red filter for low health.
Why the fuck when resting/waiting the cursor is so slow in the last hour?
The animations for opening doors and picking up items are unecessary.
Want to talk to someone? Loading Screen. Wanna Haggle the price of something? Loading Screen. Picking plants are we now? How about a Cutscene for it.

Pros so far:
The world is very well designed and actually very historically acurate. Very impressed that they even managed to capture the mentalaty of people from those days fairly well (not an easy feat).
But then again even the days of the KickStater they stated they pretty much wanted the game to feel like a time capsule. So I guess they succeeded their main objective.
And for me, so far, it just what the game is really. A good looking time capsule of 15th century Bohemia masquerading as a game.
it’s the 1403 reading and alchemy are the equivalent of “magic” (litterally witchcraft in certain cases).

people that can read and write are rarer than wizards in fantasy setting.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist

I think there is some kind of confidence stat or something for hostile npc's, there is a perk that makes enemies attacking you either run away more often, or, if not running away, less fierce or so. You can look it up in-game, but I forgot which skill it is under... Warfare maybe?

Could be that your gear/skills or whatever does it (and maybe the perk if you picked it) made the guy more hesitant to strike at you?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hunted some rabbits, etc. which resulted in "stolen" meat.
Innkeeper wouldn't buy it.
Went to the innkeeper's house, cooked the "stolen" meat, resulting in non-stolen cooked meat - which is more expensive.
Innkeeper is glad to buy it.

I have a feeling that this maybe should be fixed :lol:
I mean, if they apply magical stolen knowledge to storekeepers, it should at least be consistent.

What's up with stolen goods in general?
For the majority of stolen stuff, you just have to wait a day and it no longer counts as stolen, while some items have remained for many days and still kept the stolen status.
I just don't get it.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Went to the innkeeper's house, cooked the "stolen" meat, resulting in non-stolen cooked meat - which is more expensive.

I mean, if they apply magical stolen knowledge to storekeepers, it should at least be consistent.

For the majority of stolen stuff, you just have to wait a day and it no longer counts as stolen, while some items have remained for many days and still kept the stolen status.
I just don't get it.

if it's raw meat, they know you poached it. commoners can't just kill wildlife in 1403. if it's cooked, who knows where you got it? you need to give the merchants some plausible deniability.

Elex

Arbiter
My final verdict for the game: I like it but it doesn't really feel like I'm playing an RPG. It feels more like ... a medieval STALKER game? I mean the combat in the end is full on popamole which is probably the main reason behind my feelings

Like someone here on Codex said - the medieval Arma :)
medieval arma+mafia

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Something that is retarded about the theft system is that the game has a "Stolen in: (place)" system. I assumed what this meant was that if I stole something in Rattay I could sell it in Uzhitz, but no, every trader knows every stolen item in the world apparently, even if it's looted off a corpse in the middle of the fucking forest.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Something that is retarded about the theft system is that the game has a "Stolen in: (place)" system. I assumed what this meant was that if I stole something in Rattay I could sell it in Uzhitz, but no, every trader knows every stolen item in the world apparently, even if it's looted off a corpse in the middle of the fucking forest.

I find that if I let enough time pass I can start selling stolen merchandise in other towns. Just stick it in your trunk and wait a week.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA

I just don't get it.

if it's raw meat, they know you poached it. commoners can't just kill wildlife in 1403. if it's cooked, who knows where you got it? you need to give the merchants some plausible deniability.

Or maybe ask some kind of proof you have permit to hunt when offering them stolen meat, I wonder if they used anything like that at the time. Some kind of parchment with the royal sign or something as most people couldn't read.

Elex

Arbiter

I just don't get it.
well for hare is strange the stolen tag. but for other meats is basically always stolen and any innkeeper know that.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I really hate how some quest are hidden in a way,you just have to talk to the right npc to start it. For example bailiff in the first city give you a water carrier quest but there is no way to know this and the bailiff is pretty hidden. Another one is a named guard at the monastery.
You need to talk to people who can point you towards quest givers, often they are innkeepers / taverns, identified with an orange star. In the first town the only way I knew that the executioner had a quest was by talking to one of these people and them marking it on my map.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron

I just don't get it.
do you do the quest for teresa's uncle physzek? The millers in this game basically are "thieves guild" of this game. They buy all stolen items no biggie.

I only find 2 do far tho, the uncle in rattay, and one north of it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom