Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix NieR: Automata from Yoko Taro and Platinum Games

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Best part of the Pascal dilemma is when you just walk out and leave him there to suffer.

I concur though, that the gameplay being intertwined with the storytelling is a key part as to why Nier and Automata feel so impactful. The resolution to any of the conflicts in the original Nier wouldn't be as emotionally heart-tearing if the gameplay wasn't connected to them. Having the player kill countless numbers of shades or wolves makes moments like the entire Facade-Arc or the Popola/Devola plottwist much stronger. It's supposed to make you start wondering why you're doing it. It becomes dull having to kill hundreds of shades, its tedious and feels like boring busy-work, but it also adds to the final reveal.
Same goes for Automata. Having to actually kill the Yorha Betrayers or Pascal yourself makes for a different experience compared to, say, just having a dialogue option with a cutscene of your character doing it. It's about forcing the player to do the deed and then live with the consequences of his actions, even if he was tricked, didn't know the whole truth or generally just feels shitty about killing a friend.
Take the Yorha Betrayer situation. If they just told you where to find them in an area that just opened up, you'll only get a little foreshadowing about the commander not telling the whole truth in the end. The game however has you find them, sometimes the location given to you is empty, you have to travel through old areas where you've been before and it becomes a bit tedious trying to find them. Once you kill them you feel a bit glad that the search is over and look forward to your reward because you actually had to put time into the quest, only to be fucked over by the commander. Or having to trudge all the way back to the beginning of the game to try to find that one Yorha friend, only to realize she not only died but was a deserter too.
Resolutions like this generally evoke a stronger feeling in the player if the way of getting there wasn't all joy and what the player expected, instead turning those expectations around by having you do menial and repetitive tasks such as going through the same section twice or switching up the gameplay. The players feelings, emotions and enjoyment cannot be a straight line thats slowly leading towards a resolution or decision, but a curve thats going up and down on the way already.

You're saying it yourself, the experience is about engaging the themes and motives of the character, the story and the world. Videogames are the only way to actually do any engaging whatsoever, because a book, movie or even a simply adventure game/walking sim/cutscene heavy game isn't forcing the player to do any engaging.

Last edited:

Suicidal

Arcane
Remove the leveling system that arbitrarily lowers your damage against higher level targets, fix the consumables so that you can't spam them at any moment you please, remove the open world in favor of stage-based progression, don't make us play the same game twice as a character who's not as fun and add a difficulty setting that's between "impossible to lose" and "nearly everything oneshots". Add in a few more enemies/bosses on top of that and the gameplay would be great. You don't even need to add a lot of things, just remove a bunch of annoying shit that's already in the game. If they made it into a walking simulator I'd never play it, just watch a LP on youtube.

Silva

Arcane
You're a delusional bunch. Guy tried half a dozen times and never managed to produce a good gameplay. Automata is its best attempt and ended up average at best. It's most memorable moments are its narrative beats. No one looks back and remember fondly the battles or grinding. Taro is a storyteller at heart, not a mechanics designer. He is no Miyazaki. His talent would be better served by a more fitting tool. A full blown XP and levels and open-world and loots RPG structure is the worst fit possible. A walking sim ala SOMA or action adventure ala Outcast, perhaps with gimmicks like chipsets and hacking mini-game, with impactful choices, would fit his talent much more. Look at Neuromancer from '88 and its use of implants and hacking and persistent levels. You can have smart fusions of gameplay and narrative in those formulas too.

But hey, I will just shut down now. But I'll come back here a couple years from now, when it's next game is released, just to say: I told you.

Delterius

Arcane
hey guys I dislike this game but I like the story

what if we removed the game because I disliked it

would make things more fun for me

I think

wait why am I talking about things I mostly disliked again

okay I'll just shut down for now. But years from now I'll still have not liked this game and I'll make sure to tell you that again.

Dayyālu

Arcane
But hey, I will just shut down now. But I'll come back here a couple years from now, when it's next game is released, just to say: I told you.

I'd agree, considering that I experienced every game bar Automata in LP form (and I hate Video LPs) after reading screenshot LPs. But it has improved with each iteration:

Drakengard 1 was atrocious, we don't speak about 2, Nier was adequate, Drakengard 3 was adequate but repetitive, Automata was good for what it is and I find it relaxing. I want a game, not a walking simulation: variety of adequate gameplay is better than sweet nothing.

Taro or Platinum will probably manage to get good gameplay on the next attempt (that will probably break him, 'cause budget and expectations). But no, not a walking simulator. That would merely get people to watch it on Youtube.

WHERE IS MY NIER\DRAKENGARD 3 PC PORT TARO

WHERE IT ISSSSSSSSSSSS

Silva

Arcane
Lol, so fire Platinum next time and go back to Cavia and horrendous gameplay.

It will make you suffer more while playing, thus feeling the themes in more intense fashion. :lol:

Silva

Arcane
Hommlet as in the D&D module?

Curiously, I felt something like that in Bloodborne once, with all the "hunt beasts" thing. Only the intended feeling was one of addiction for the hunt (and grinding), not misery. I think if Automata was harder it would make a good point about the whole "agaku" thing. Though playing on hard and under-leveled may also get the point across.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Automatas difficulty would be perfectly fine if it weren't possible to insta-heal endlessly (unless you run out of potions, but thats not gonna happen).

The 9S route is also absolutely fine and not that repetitive if you don't do all the sidequests during 2Bs route already. And even if you do, that just makes the second playthrough last ~5hours, which is not that bad. It definitely is the weakest part of the game, but 9S is the most interesting character by far so it's not too bad. It's a shame that during the fight with 21O you can miss a bunch of heavy-hitting dialogue because by that point you're usually overlevelled and kill the boss way too quickly.

A lot of what's happening during Route B is foreshadowing the final moments of the game, which makes it look better in retrospect. By the time you get into the bunkers server you can actually deduce both the big twists, as in humanity is extinct and that 2B is not actually 2B.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Anniversary trailer:

There will be livesteam for anniversary in Japan: https://gematsu.com/2018/02/nier-automata-1st-anniversary-live-stream-set-march-3-4

NieR: Automata 1st Anniversary live stream set for March 3 to 4

NieR: Automata turned one year old today. It first launched for PlayStation 4 in Japan on February 23, 2017. To celebrate its first anniversary, Square Enix will run a continuous Niconico live stream from March 3 to 4, Square Enix announced.

Further details will be announced on February 26.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
"Faasto yu waito man sinku Nia Autoomata is sexist piggu shitto.. DEN YOU GIVE IT AWAADO FO BESTO AA PEE GEE GEIMU? HORY SHITTO WAITO MAN IS BAKA."

No wonder no one bothered to show up.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
C'mon, don't trick yourselves. Automata is a bad game and the only reason because you play are 2B booty and her thick legs.

Dayyālu

Arcane
C'mon, don't trick yourselves. Automata is a bad game and the only reason because you play are 2B booty and her thick legs.

Hilariously enough, plotwise 2B is mostly irrelevant. She kills stuff and serves as a emotional crutch to 9S, and that's it.

She has the least character, least "personality" and no growth even considering THE REVEAL. Her combat style is fun, but A2 shares the same moveset with the extra of Berserk Mode and even more taunt animations. 9S has a kinda interesting "arc" and even A2 has more plot to her despite 15% of the screentime of 2B.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane

Hilariously enough, plotwise 2B is mostly irrelevant. She kills stuff and serves as a emotional crutch to 9S, and that's it.

She has the least character, least "personality" and no growth even considering THE REVEAL. Her combat style is fun, but A2 shares the same moveset with the extra of Berserk Mode and even more taunt animations. 9S has a kinda interesting "arc" and even A2 has more plot to her despite 15% of the screentime of 2B.

15322.jpg

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron
Bought it on sale and playing it now. Don't know much about it, except that a lot of people really like it and that it has dat ass. So far it seems ok, but is it true that I need to play through the game 800 times to see real ending? Also how do I combo? I'm real early in the game, killing the desert machines, which so far has been pretty bonkers, jap style.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Bought it on sale and playing it now. Don't know much about it, except that a lot of people really like it and that it has dat ass. So far it seems ok, but is it true that I need to play through the game 800 times to see real ending? Also how do I combo? I'm real early in the game, killing the desert machines, which so far has been pretty bonkers, jap style.
3 times to see the real ending, plus doing the "final" bossfight twice. But it's really only the second time that grates.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
You only really redo stuff once (with slightly different angle and more context/exposition). After that new content comes... and after that you get scene select menu which lets you move right to the last fight for the final resolution.

Plus it's just the main questline you repeat, side quests are generally a one-shot affairs
(you either do most of them on first playtrough, second... or not at all - though a few new ones appear on 2nd).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom