Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

taxalot plays Quest for Glory

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Just finished the first game ; the EGA version. It started sure nice enough, but I am far less convinced about the final hours of gameplay. I am not used to grind in adventure games ; walking around for hours on my toes just to increase the Stealth stat so that I could get out of a bush without attracting the minotaur was the epitome of retarded.
There are some bits that were also retarded on the adventure front ; I would have never found the brigand's note in the tavern without a walkthrough ; said note is like two vaguely different pixels on the screen that appear in the last part of the game. Absolutely ridiculously hard to nice.

But it is a game oozing with charm and spirit ; I guess I was just stupid to even hope completing a Sierra game of this era without a walkthrough.

I will probably finish the entire series, but I'm undecided on starting QFG2 straight away. I have read a little about this game and two things annoy me terribly :
-navigating the city in labyrinth mode (eek!!!!)
-Tight time limits to complete each part of the game.

That's not going to be the first Sierra game I complete without a walkthrough either.

Just finished the first game ; the EGA version. It started sure nice enough, but I am far less convinced about the final hours of gameplay. I am not used to grind in adventure games ; walking around for hours on my toes just to increase the Stealth stat so that I could get out of a bush without attracting the minotaur was the epitome of retarded.
There are some bits that were also retarded on the adventure front ; I would have never found the brigand's note in the tavern without a walkthrough ; said note is like two vaguely different pixels on the screen that appear in the last part of the game. Absolutely ridiculously hard to nice.

But it is a game oozing with charm and spirit ; I guess I was just stupid to even hope completing a Sierra game of this era without a walkthrough.

I will probably finish the entire series, but I'm undecided on starting QFG2 straight away. I have read a little about this game and two things annoy me terribly :
-navigating the city in labyrinth mode (eek!!!!)
-Tight time limits to complete each part of the game.

That's not going to be the first Sierra game I complete without a walkthrough either.

I strongly recommend playing the VGA fan remake of 2. It is extremely faithful to the original, but removes the massive frustration of the labyrinth by adding a fast-travel option. I know fast-travel is often decline, but the "puzzle" it removes is one of the absolute worst and time-wasting "puzzles" I've ever seen in an adventure game. Otherwise QFG2 is great and probably my 2nd favorite in the series after 4. It is, however, also probably the hardest to complete due to weird "adventure game logic" and the time limits though, so it's not unreasonable to keep a hint guide on your browser to alt+tab to if you don't want to lose several hours of progress by reaching a dead-end.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Hello People,

I've got some free time coming up and was looking for (a) nice game(s) to play. As a RPG and old school adventure game lover it seemed like Quest for Glory is a good choice.

What is your opinion on the whole series? Are they all worth investing some time in?

I have this idea to start with QoG1 (remake) and import the hero to the other games. Is this a good idea? like does is have any benefits at all?

Seeing as this serie has 5 part how much time will it take to complete all part?

Please share you opinions without spoiling to much as I'm totally new to the whole serie.

Thanks!
:love:

The QfG remake is not as good as the original, and since two is in the same vein as the original I suggest playing the real one to start. I also suggest you sue your mind and the manual and not cheat by looking shit up.

Also, if you are a rpg and old school adventure game lover how have you not played these? Old school adventure games are extremely limited.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The 'fast travel' existed in the EGA version too (buy the map from the seller). The remake is absolutely faithful including the part where 'you don't actually need' the manual to find places because asking for directions (from the map seller to the money changer) also works.

The remake combat engine is much better though, the best on the series.

The 'fast travel' existed in the EGA version too (buy the map from the seller).

I had completely forgotten this, but I checked it and you're correct (It's been probably 20 years since I last played the EGA version), but you have to visit a location before it gets added to the map. In principal it's fine I guess... but that fucking maze is just garbage. I see no reason beyond historical value to play the EGA version over the VGA.

I do agree with Roqua however (how often does someone write that on these boards?) that when it comes to QFG1 EGA>VGA. The VGA remake, although boasting decent art, was clearly a cash grab with little added value, and I seem to remember that it also had a couple game-breaking bugs along one of the class paths that never got official patches.

I also want to take this opportunity to shamelessly promote Infamous Quests' Quest for Infamy and Crystal Shard Adventure's Heroine's Quest to anyone who has interest in the QFG games. Both are excellent, and Heroine's Quest (not to slight QFI in any way) is probably the best QFG-style game, including the actual QFGs, period. Go play them!

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
TBH, IIRC the locations that appear on the map of the remake outright are just the plazzas. I may be wrong since it's been several years since i played the remake, but i'm pretty sure that making 'certain locations' appear outright before being found is just not done in either (like Aziza, the observatory, or W.I.T.), since finding them is part of the puzzle.

And finding the plazas in the EGA qfg is just a question of following straight lines.

Now, if you want 'actually rage inducing mazes' might i direct your attention to Legend of Kyrandia 1 (easily the worst i've ever seen outside text-only games), Return of the Phantom, King's Quest 5 and 6, and Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis? It's not like Sierra and others haven't done much worse for less reasons.

At least the QFG2 maze has a easy to get map, serves several purposes and intersects puzzles in a sane way. The only way it could be more user friendly is if you bought a compass (could you?) and the map had a 'ego' indicator.

BTW, latest scummvm finally 'supports' gabriel knight 1 and 2 (but not QFG4 yet, officially).

Last edited:

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
The 'fast travel' existed in the EGA version too (buy the map from the seller). The remake is absolutely faithful including the part where 'you don't actually need' the manual to find places because asking for directions (from the map seller to the money changer) also works.

The remake combat engine is much better though, the best on the series.

And, the whole reason the game was so good was lost without the guess work and trial and error of entering dialogue and commands. There is no way it flows better from playing the super easy, answer-giving remake to trials by fire and going back to the good way of doing it, then back to drop down menus and having all the right questions given to you in the jungle one.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I somewhat agree, but at least the remake still had equivalent text input which is actually superior than what sierra did in their remakes. They made the right choice i think. To make it only-text input would be very luddite-ish, and any purist can try out the parsing.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
I find the complaining over the "maze" in QfG2 to be completely asinine. I completed the game as an 8 year old and had no trouble following the map. There's only like 2 or 3 obligatory segments in which you need to do so (money changer, Azira, and arguably Raseir) and you get in-game directions to all of them.

I am not used to grind in adventure games ; walking around for hours on my toes just to increase the Stealth stat so that I could get out of a bush without attracting the minotaur was the epitome of retarded.
There are some bits that were also retarded on the adventure front ; I would have never found the brigand's note in the tavern without a walkthrough ; said note is like two vaguely different pixels on the screen that appear in the last part of the game.

If you're a thief, you should've increased your Stealth enough before burglarizing Spielburg that it wouldn't take you "hours" to make it through the minotaur at the end. It doesn't take hours to max out the skill, period.

Also, the note at the tavern is not obligatory to finish the game and I would consider it a very good example of its non-linearity and optional scenes.

If anything, the EGA version's biggest problem is that combat is too largely dependent on your stats, and that dodging, parrying or blocking are nearly useless in the face of high Weapon Use and buying the chainmail at the store.

The Quest for Glory series fucking kick ass
GGf0YEd.jpg

Always endeavor to be the greatest hero you can be

Barbarian

Arcane
I never realized how much QFG3 was a festival of "We Wuz Kangz" memes. There is even the black warrior woman single mother(and nobody bothers to mention who fathered the kid).

SerratedBiz

Arcane
I never realized how much QFG3 was a festival of "We Wuz Kangz" memes. There is even the black warrior woman single mother(and nobody bothers to mention who fathered the kid).

Kindly leave your 4chan memes at the door. The game's theme is Africa, what else would you expect? Maybe you wanted Shapeir to be ruled by a european king and Mordavia to have been colonized by vikings? Fucking people, man.

Also, Uhura tells the Hero that Simba's father is one of the Sultan's guards. What else is relevant about it?

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
OKay guys. Finally decided to get myself to brave QFG2, the EGA version. Brave, because it has two of the elements I hate most in games : a maze, and a time limit.

I am only barely starting the game (still on Day 1) but I know at some points bad things will happen and I will have to defeat my enemies in a time limit ; my question is , what is the point of no return ? How much time does it take to defeat the enemy "at worse" ? I've heard that you actually have plenty of time in that game, but I don't want to find myself using and keeping saves after my game is actually unwinnable because I'm out of time to defeat the bad guy.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
OKay guys. Finally decided to get myself to brave QFG2, the EGA version. Brave, because it has two of the elements I hate most in games : a maze, and a time limit.

I am only barely starting the game (still on Day 1) but I know at some points bad things will happen and I will have to defeat my enemies in a time limit ; my question is , what is the point of no return ? How much time does it take to defeat the enemy "at worse" ? I've heard that you actually have plenty of time in that game, but I don't want to find myself using and keeping saves after my game is actually unwinnable because I'm out of time to defeat the bad guy.
I'll just mention that the unofficial VGA remake is very good and it's with an improved battle system. You can also choose to un-mazefy the city so it's no more a complicated maze to navigate. There's also the option of either using point and click style, or parser. As far as the time limit is concerned IIRC it's very lenient, just don't try to grind your stats to the max, like maybe you did in the first game, that can be pretty time consuming.

As far as I'm concerned QFG2 is even better than the first one (and I love the first one), albeit with a time limit that can seem daunting (but really isn't) and yeah the maze-like stuff. But really, it had some great ideas.

Last edited:

Lindire

Novice

I'll just mention that the unofficial VGA remake is very good and it's with an improved battle system. You can also choose to un-mazefy the city so it's no more a complicated maze to navigate. There's also the option of either using point and click style, or parser. As far as the time limit is concerned IIRC it's very lenient, just don't try to grind your stats to the max, like maybe you did in the first game, that can be pretty time consuming.

As far as I'm concerned QFG2 is even better than the first one (and I love the first one), albeit with a time limit that can seem daunting (but really isn't) and yeah the maze-like stuff. But really, it had some great ideas.

QFG 2 EGA is legit one of my most favorite games ever and if you liked any of the series, you're definitely set for a great time. Haven't played the VGA remake yet, but the VGA of the QFG 1 was not too bad, and the option to remove the maze is pretty nice. Though personally I actually liked the maze, it made me feel like the city is this huge labyrinthine place and provided a different feel than the village of QFG 1, but I can definitely see some people removing it if given the chance.

I agree with ghostdog, through my multiple playthroughs I have never had a problem with the time limit, so you shouldn't worry too much about it an explore the shit out of Shapeir! :bounce:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Okay, so I did complete QFG2 a while ago. I hear it was the best of the series, I disagree and felt that QFG 1 was a far far superior game, much more open ended and with less padding. I do understand it's a debatable point of view though.

Anyways, moving on to QFG3, but first a potential issue :

I figured around halfway through my run of QFG2 that my character had been turned into a fighter ! I used to be a thief in QFG 1 ! Apparently, I wasn't paying enough attention when I imported my character. This is annoying me.

When I do start QFG3, will I be given the choice to "switch" back to the thief character class ? Whatever the answer to this question, isn't it better to create a new character ?

Another question : anyway to import your dosbox QFG2 character in a ScummVM QFG3 ?

And finally, what to expect with this one ? Some people claim it's the worse of the entire series, considering it is the "unplanned" part of the QFG storyline ?

Okay, so I did complete QFG2 a while ago. I hear it was the best of the series, I disagree and felt that QFG 1 was a far far superior game, much more open ended and with less padding. I do understand it's a debatable point of view though.

I don't think you're alone in that view amongst the community. QFG2 certainly has a fair number of haters; I've seen people argue it is in fact the worst game in the series, although I strongly disagree. It's worth noting that QFG2 is perhaps the most hybrid-friendly of all the games in the series when it comes to character build, which substantially ups its replay value imo.

I figured around halfway through my run of QFG2 that my character had been turned into a fighter ! I used to be a thief in QFG 1 ! Apparently, I wasn't paying enough attention when I imported my character. This is annoying me.

Yeah, this is a known bug. It sucks.

When I do start QFG3, will I be given the choice to "switch" back to the thief character class ? Whatever the answer to this question, isn't it better to create a new character ?
It will give you the choice to switch back to thief. IIRC importing chars is always superior as you are pretty much guaranteed to start off with substantially better stats and skills than a new character.

Another question : anyway to import your dosbox QFG2 character in a ScummVM QFG3 ?

I'm 99% sure that I did this the last time I played through the series, but it's been a few years, so I can't remember exactly. ghostdog Sceptic SerratedBiz

And finally, what to expect with this one ? Some people claim it's the worse of the entire series, considering it is the "unplanned" part of the QFG storyline ?

Storywise it's probably the worst. Most of the game lacks focus, and you're likely to spend a large part of your playthrough just wandering around looking for something, anything to do. It's also tonally much more serious than the previous two games which many people find off-putting. The art in it is generally quite excellent though, and the game does pick up quite a bit of steam narratively towards the end, and then you get to go play Shadows of Darkness, which is imo the highlight of the series. Overall I would give Wages of War the edge over Dragon's Breath when viewed as a complete package, but it's definitely not one of the series' best.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I'm 99% sure that I did this the last time I played through the series, but it's been a few years, so I can't remember exactly. ghostdog Sceptic SerratedBiz
I never used ScummVM for any of the games, and in fact the past decade or so I've exclusively played the 2nd game using the VGA fan remake, which IMO is probably the best remake, official or unofficial, that's ever been made. I'm almost ashamed to admit this considering how much of a purist I can be, but I think it might also be the one and only time I like the remake even more than the original.

Storywise it's probably the worst. Most of the game lacks focus, and you're likely to spend a large part of your playthrough just wandering around looking for something, anything to do. It's also tonally much more serious than the previous two games which many people find off-putting. The art in it is generally quite excellent though, and the game does pick up quite a bit of steam narratively towards the end, and then you get to go play Shadows of Darkness, which is imo the highlight of the series. Overall I would give Wages of War the edge over Dragon's Breath when viewed as a complete package, but it's definitely not one of the series' best.
Being my usual contrarian self I of course love QFG3 and it's probably my personal favourite. I find most of the usual reasons for citing it as the worst a tad hypocritical as they're all problems that are present in all the other games and in some cases are even worse in the often cited darlings QFG2 and QFG4 (QFG2's "yay yet ANOTHER day to waste while waiting for something to happen" is a much worse lack of focus, QFG4's "you want to play a mage? sucks to be you, the only mage-exclusive section is a cheap ripoff from QFG3 and sucks donkey balls" is possibly the single worst segment in the entire series, QFG4's tone is much more all over the place and fails badly at mixing some true horror with some atrocious comedy), and it has some fantastic character-specific segments or solutions (the mage duel, the initiation ritual, and stealing both items to return them to their respective owners are all a lot of fun). YMMV obviously, and it should be clear if you've ready any of my posts about the series that I'm in the minority that loves all five games almost equally, despite hating specific aspects of pretty much all of them except the first.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy

It can probably get worse. Before mods and remakes rolled round, I'd start QFG playthroughs with a Thief in QFG1, end up as either Fighter or Thief in QFG2 (depending on *things*), a Mage in QFG3 and only in QFG4 could I tell the game "Oi! I wanna be this class, and not that one!" and finally go back to being a Thief.

Sceptic said:
Stuff about QFG.

I can agree with a great many things there, but also disagree on others. As for QFG3, people have to remember that it wasn't part of the original plan for the QFG series - QFG was only supposed to be four games, with themes based on the four seasons and the four cardinal directions being featured heavily. But for some reason Sierra asked for moar QFG, so a somewhat impromptu interquel was made and released instead. Hence, Wages of War.

But for some reason Sierra asked for moar QFG, so a somewhat impromptu interquel was made and released instead. Hence, Wages of War.

Are you sure about this? Not saying you’re wrong, but I was always under the impression that Wages of War was something the Coles advocated for internally when they realized they didn’t have a good bridge to Shadows of Darkness from Trial by Fire. That, and that Dragon’s Breath was only greenlit by virtue of a fan letter-writing campaign, always led me to assume that QfG as a series was internally considered a loss-leader at Sierra.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I think you're both right; QFG3 was indeed not planned (QFG2 ends with "to be continued in QFG3: Shadows of Darkness") but it was indeed the Coles themselves that decided they wanted another game in-between, I remember them specifically saying it was because they felt the PC needed to develop and become stronger between defeating Ad Avis and venturing into Mordavia. I do think it works well; the game gives some great development to likable secondary characters from QFG2 (specifically Rakeesh and Uhura; and I have to note here that the text that was written into QFG2VGA to retroactively fit with later QFG3 revelations is so well done that I can't even tell what's the original and what's the addition anymore), and I think the Frikana setting is a great one (it helps that the game's painted backgrounds are gorgeous).

@UC I can understand disagreeing with all I said above, like I said I know I have a certain bias, specifically towards QFG3, but also against QFG4, and that is heavily coloured by the game being so buggy it was almost completely broken on release (it took a couple of patches to make it even reasonably possible to finish). That said the CD version, which I think of as "QFG4 the way it was always meant to be", has some fantastic things going for it (despite it still being buggy as hell), especially in sound. A great soundtrack is one thing, but stellar voice acting, circa 1994, was not something we took for granted.

I also think which QFG people tend to like most is coloured by their favourite class. If you play Thief, QFG2 is likely to be your favourite because it has SO MUCH extra stuff you can do. Paladin? there are at least 2 rather major threads in QFG4 that are almost plot holes, unless you're a Paladin and get to resolve them (very satisfactorily, I must say). Mage? QFG3 has the best mage duel in the history of CRPGs, despite not even being a full CRPG. Speaking of Mage, I think I said this before, but playing one through all 5 games is so much fun because you literally get to laugh maniacally as you unleash torrents of destruction by the end of the series. Nothing's more satisfying than painstakingly building up your character and then being rewarded at the end.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom